New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Gift ideas for girlfriend

I'm trying to think of a thoughtful gift to give my girlfriend. She's really into My Little Pony and fashion and essentially anything girly girly. I've already gotten her a hard-to-find pony for her collection when we first started dating two months ago, which she liked, but I don't want ponies to be the only thing I do for her.

I'm insecure about doing anything crafty for her, because she's a professional artist and is proficient as essentially every art form; normally making dresses or pottery, but just yesterday decided to make a program that converts a 3-D render she made into a cardstock printout (with instructions) to be folded and glued together for a physical version of the cardout.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Gift ideas for girlfriend

Get her a polar bear with plate armor and the voice of Ian McKellen. Or jewelry. Though I should warn you only one of those things made the Golden Compass enjoyable. Choose wisely.
    Last edited by Dr.Epic; 2011-08-12 at 08:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have the budget for it, get her a set of bone carving tools this site has a decent list and some tagua nut. It's an art form that most people don't see a lot of, and most artists jump at the chance for originality (particularly when they're as creatively proficient as you describe).

Failing that, you should probably know that thanks to the massively popular MLP reboot, there is a LOT of pony merch out there. If she likes the reboot, just look around for Friendship is Magic stuff. Pony shirts, pony flash drives, pony phone covers, pony songs, ponies ponies ponies. It's not hard to find, especially if you check Equestria Daily (it has a search bar).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

How about a custom My Little Pony? For example.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Try to find a theater/museum exhibit/performance she would like to see and give her tickets for it. This depends on where you live, because there are places where there is nothing that will interest her, but if you find something good it would be woth it.
    I am looking for fanfiction of the Culture or other books in the same vein. Any Ideas? PM me or post here.

Preparing to overwrite "reality". Done.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

She's actually quite the collector for MLP merch, and actually makes customs of better quality than that (went to the art museum housing one of hers).

The performance/bone art tool thing is a good idea though, thanks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seonor View Post
    Try to find a theater/museum exhibit/performance she would like to see and give her tickets for it.
    "An oyster with two tickets to that thing you love" is never the wrong decision.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you're looking for something to give her just out of the blue instead of for a traditional gift-giving occasion, consider flowers. Yes, lots of people do them, but I've found very few women who don't enjoy getting flowers. If you don't want to go the traditional route of having a bouquet delivered, you oculd do something creative like giving it to her a bloom at a time over the course of the day or the week- finding a way to have flowers show up randomly and by surprise has worked for me before.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

So it sounds like she likes crafty, so I'd recommend you try Etsy for some my little pony stuff made by other crafty folks (or some MLP raw materials for some project of her own).
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-08-12 at 08:39 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seonor View Post
    Try to find a theater/museum exhibit/performance she would like to see and give her tickets for it. This depends on where you live, because there are places where there is nothing that will interest her, but if you find something good it would be woth it.
    This. Experiences > possessions in most cases, especially relationships. Especially if it's something you both enjoy, and you go with her. A memory of having fun together is one of a kind, and if you're enjoying yourself it won't look like you're trying to buy her affections. I can't remember the last physical gift I gave to a girl, experiences are far more meaningful.

Even better, take advantage of any connections you might have. If you know someone in a local theater production, see if they can introduce you and your girlfriend to the other cast members or get you backstage after the show. This is just an example, ask your friends if they know about anything worthwhile and plan something. The more unique, the better.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Flowers. Chocolates. Promises you have no intention to keep..."
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    "An oyster with two tickets to that thing you love" is never the wrong decision.
    "The tickets are now diamonds!" Jewels are always nice as well. A nice necklace perhaps?
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, I'd say craft presents are a good idea. I'm an artsy-person (loath to call myself an artist, but you get the drift) and my boyfriend isn't, but his hand-made presents are so much my favourite. Heck, write her a short story, if you can. Might be a good idea to get her something else alongside, but anything you've put time into usually means way more.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeburn View Post
    (loath to call myself an artist
    *sees phrase*
    *looks at DeviantArt link*
    *wants to pop in face for not acknowledging own ability considering how bad some of us have it*
    *remembers he can't actually reach through computer screens*
    *resigns himself to communicating frustration through asterisk-bordered emotes*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrion View Post
    If you're looking for something to give her just out of the blue instead of for a traditional gift-giving occasion, consider flowers. Yes, lots of people do them, but I've found very few women who don't enjoy getting flowers. If you don't want to go the traditional route of having a bouquet delivered, you oculd do something creative like giving it to her a bloom at a time over the course of the day or the week- finding a way to have flowers show up randomly and by surprise has worked for me before.
    I agree with this. If this is just a random "I want to give my girlfriend a gift" occassion, then you can't go wrong with flowers flowers and a hand-written card telling her what she means to you and all that mushy stuff. I love getting flowers, but alas if I want them, I have to buy them myself or ask my husband for them. Kinda takes some of the romance out of it

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    How about a custom My Little Pony? For example.
    Lol, you search 'Custom My Little Pony' on google and I know the girl that owns over half of them. Im not really in to them, but I like her kratos one-
    Spoiler
    Show

But anyway back on topic it really depends on the girl, what does she like? *Checks for ^*

EDIT: Ok, do you have whittling tools? You could buy blank my little pony and make her one. I strongly recommend that. Along with movie tickets/that of a play/opera/whatever shed prefer
    Last edited by bothi73; 2011-08-15 at 08:38 PM.
    Avi Cred- Current Triakis Diriver Avvie By Ceika, thank you very much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Old
    Spoiler
    Show
    avatar by Savahna, and thanks to you, as well.