New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Torentaal'is' Unerring Surprise (3.5, Feat, PEACH)

Torentaal'is' Unerring Surprise [General]
    In the style of a great house of drow assassins, you have learned to suprise even the most experienced of sneaks and warriors.
    Prerequisites: BAB +12
    Benefits: Whenever you attack a creature who would not be treated as flat-footed due to some feat or special ability such as Uncanny dodge, if your attack roll succeeds by 10 or more, your target is treated as flat-footed as normal.

Yeah, I know the wording sucks, but what do you think? I'm just sick of the fact that some classes can make an ability (SA) that a few classes are based on completely null with such a simple little thing.
    The name comes from the house of my first successful PC: Rial Torentaal, a drow fighter/ranger/rogue/shadowblade who I ran for almost six years before retiring.
    Last edited by Risek; 2008-12-26 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoury99 View Post
    Dungeons & Dragons obviously - that's why White Wolf won't let their PCs take a look at it. Sadly the game has degenerated into an argument over which suppliments are allowed and who's paying for the pizza... an of course which edition is best.

...Although traditionally of course, the gods play Populous.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Torentaal'is' Unerring Surprise (3.5, Feat, PEACH)

Seems balanced to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't they already have this, except they call it "being four levels higher than your victim?"

4. - Top - End - #4

Nope, that's for flanking people with Improved Uncanny Dodge, and it's only rogues.
    Dungeons & Dragons obviously - that's why White Wolf won't let their PCs take a look at it. Sadly the game has degenerated into an argument over which suppliments are allowed and who's paying for the pizza... an of course which edition is best.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nice, but I'd just say "if you succeed by 10 or more." Otherwise you're rolling to many dice, in my opinion.

Still, it works as it is.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

That is balanced, although frustrating. They're getting an ability/feat, to defend, and you're overriding it. It's just like bypassing energy immunities.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I suggest changing "Unerring" to "Overwhelming" because there is still a chance that whatever ye roll might fail the check. Why? "Unerring" means that, well, it doesn't fail--- ever... and by the very fact that ye roll for it means there's still that factor of randomness that means there is always a chance, however small, that it might not succeed.

Whether it's "balanced" or not, I don't rightly know, sorry. I am not that good a judge of things at such high levels of play.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

8. - Top - End - #8

Torentaal'is' Unerring Surprise [General]
    In the style of a great house of drow assassins, you have learned to suprise even the most experienced of sneaks and warriors.
    Prerequisites: BAB +12
    Benefits: Whenever you attack a creature who would not be treated as flat-footed due to some feat or special ability such as Uncanny dodge, if your attack roll succeeds by 10 or more, your target is treated as flat-footed as normal.
    Whaddaya think?

I enjoy overriding immunities; besides, if a rogue or whatever takes this, it's still going to be hard to get a roll 10 higher than that warblade with Uncanny Dodge's AC and hit.

Oh, and I'm not sure "Overwhelming" is the right word either..

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Wouldn't be being a drow be a prerequisite?

Debby

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Wouldn't be being a drow be a prerequisite?

Debby
    It should be, this was infact named for a drow (as written in the OP), and it's a technique developed by drow, I don't think it should be limited to just drow.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Risek View Post
    Nope, that's for flanking people with Improved Uncanny Dodge, and it's only rogues.
    Okay, re-read everything again. What does this do that Improved Feint doesn't do already?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by hiryuu View Post
    Okay, re-read everything again. What does this do that Improved Feint doesn't do already?
    Well, it's more for those characters with crappy Charisma scores who hit better than they act. Anyway, the main reason I made this is because Improved Feint doesn't work with ranged weapons.