New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Song and Stage (Hunter the Vigil)

The seasons are turning, moving from Summer into Autumn. In other cities that can be a more visual event as the leaves turn. When all the trees have needles, Fall is less spectacular.

You and your friends had been following something for awhile now. Not something physical, you haven't seen it yet, but you know this is something big. There's weird things in the forest outside, but there's weirder things living with you in the city.

Now strange people have been giving you strange looks lately.

It might be nothing.

Or they might know.

Last week three people on the bus watched you the whole ride. You got off early and took a different route.

You are being watched.
    "Buddy, if I bothered to think like that would I be standing here today with an octopus-god larva growing out of my neck?"
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

"Since things can't possibly get any worse, Red Mage, we turn to you."
    "Prepare to be proved wrong!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Song and Stage (Hunter the Vigil)

Aaron stands in the shadow of an awning as he waits for his lead to move out or for one of his companions to show up. Adjusting his light coat against an unseasonably early chill he takes care not to reveal the pistol he carries holstered in his armpit. He holds a newspaper folded in his hand but is only half-reading it as he watches the people walking by.

Kevin or Sarah should be here soon. At least assuming whatever is after us hasn't gotten to them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

A breeze picks up, stiring the still green leaves of the token tree sunk into the city sidewalk nearby. It came and went, just enough to provide a chill down the spin of the people foolish enough to venture out without their coats.

People moved about with their eyes on the cement to avoid eye contact and to keep their faces away from the wind. Their coats blend into the building walls, gray and black. It hasn't rained since it let up last night but the streets are still shiny with the wetness.

No one looks Aaron in the face, though some look in his direction. Never for more than a moment, a glance.
    "Buddy, if I bothered to think like that would I be standing here today with an octopus-god larva growing out of my neck?"
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kevin

"Hey man." Kevin said, coming to stand next to Aaron and wearing huge sunglasses and a hat. He chilled there for a second, looking at the passerby and then cleared his throat. "Man... where Sarah at? I don't feel 'ight out here in the open, ya kno'?"

5. - Top - End - #5

Devil

Sarah Parker

She knew this job wasn't easy. Neither one of her jobs were. She was outnumbered from the get-go, and everything inconveinent, however minor, always made her think that there was some entity in the shadows toying with her.

Sarah Parker was going to be 35 soon, and she had invested much of her time in her own private crusade carried out in secret against her beloved citizens. Many people thought that she should start focusing on Washington, so she could have a presidential bid by about age 50. She was an attractive woman, and with the proper care, she could remain so for much of her life.

No smoking, drinking in moderation, a good diet, those were the things that beauty creams fixed if they were deficient.

She noticed Kevin and Aaron sitting. She adjusted her sunglasses. Though Kevin was the one with the fame, manners and decor meant that she had to be at the very least not recognizable by everyone on the street. "It's going to get very cold soon." She carries herself as an old friend, sitting down. "Very cold winter this year."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

The wind picks up in a long gust, sending hats and a few leaves blowing down the sidewalk and street. In perhaps the last surge of true August, the wind feels oddly hot.

It dies away in a moment and the cooler swirls of September resume.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Wits+Composure while continuing your conversation.
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

Sarah Parker

Sarah brushes away the strands of hair that the wind knocked out of place.

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d10)[9][3][3][2][10](27)

I hate to be a jerk, but I don't want to open a spoiler tag if it's not meant for me. What is your system for marking tags? I don't want to make any extra amount of work for you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aaron

Now that his companions have arrived Aaron turns to put his back against the wall in the small niche as he addresses them.

Being in the open can be a good thing. If we're too visible it makes it hard for whatever is after us to act. Never mind that it makes it harder for us as well. He shrugs after his his statement, partially to shrug off his mental aside as he turns his attention to the street.

Did either of you have a particular plan in mind or should we just try to find a good place to sit down and eat?

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d10)[4][9][3][1][5](22)

9. - Top - End - #9

Kevin

"Man, you know I'm always ready for a good chow down, ya dig?" Kevin said, pulling his hat down hard. Didn't need any of his fans seeing him out here.

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d10)[5][3][9][10][9](36)
    Last edited by Tichrondrius; 2008-12-31 at 05:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

As the warm wind fades to replaced with icy gusts the gathered Hunters catch sight of a man down the sidewalk. Sitting on a bench, large coat pulled tight around him, he is staring towards the group.

A new gust kicks up, attempting to pull Aaron's newspaper from his hands and stabbing tiny chills into those on the street. The staring man closes his eyes and ducks his head against the wind.

Kevin
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man is slouching oddly on the bench. Through it is difficult to see with the big coat covering him, his back is set at an inward curve making him seem larger than he really is.
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

11. - Top - End - #11

Kevin

Kevin tapped Aaron twice with the back of his hand. "Hey man, speaking of chowing down... maybe we should go do that, like now? I aint liking the look of that guy over there- don't look." He hissed though his teeth. "Maybe I'm just being paranoid... but thats worked pretty well for me so far, know what I mean?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aaron

Shrugging his shoulders Aaron speaks to Kevin.

Alright, well there's a pretty decent Italian place nearby. Bit of a hole in the wall but the foods good. That and there aren't too many people who swing by there. Follow me it's this way. Aaron folds the paper and sticks it under his arm as he begins to move towards the restaurant, taking only a moment to glance at the man as he moves away from him.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

As the gust dies away the stranger resumes his staring but makes no move to follow the group and gives no indication his observations are known.

The wind batters against the Hunter's backs occationally, sending bits of paper and other light garbage spinning around their feet.
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

14. - Top - End - #14

Kevin

Kevin continues to follow Aaron, and glances back over at the guy. "**** man, I love me some Italian. I'm buying." The rockstar said, mainly just musing to himself and kicking some garbage that got too close to him.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

As the Hunters travel the wind fades, apparently unwilling to chase them. Eyes glance their way more often than it seems they should but no one approaches so it is likely that Kevin and Sarah are not recognised. There is still the near constant feeling that they are being closely watched.

Just the same it doesn't take long for them to find a restaurant capable of satisfying their needs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Wits+Composure when (if) you enter the restaurant.
    Last edited by Tadanori Oyama; 2009-01-06 at 11:31 AM.
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

16. - Top - End - #16

Devil

Sarah Parker

"It's nice getting out of the office." Sarah lets one of the boys open the door for her. She eyes the place casually, her nonchalant exterior honed by years of being a politician.

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d10)[3][2][4][8][4](21)

Uno success
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2009-01-06 at 11:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Kevin

Kevin graciously opened the door for Sarah, tipping his head to her as she passed. "After you, ma'am." He stated, looking back at Aaron before entering himself and enjoying a hearty sniff. "Mmm, Italian." Escaped his lips mumbled.

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d10)[8][6][8][3][1](26)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aaron

I'd really recommend the calzones here, they actually have a traditional stone oven here and they're very well made. Of course you could go with pasta as well, the Italians really perfected the art of preparing it.

Aaron talks as he goes in behind Kevin, moving in such a way that he can scan the street they've come from as he moves into the restaurant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wits+Composure (5d10)[10][6][2][3][10](31)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

The interior is vasty warmer than outside now that wind has been vanquished. It is much quieter as well, though the seated customers' various conversations do create a steady white noise.

The feeling of being watched has faded and as the Hunters are seated they can detect no piercing stares like the ones that have followed them for the past week.
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

20. - Top - End - #20

Devil

Sarah Parker

Sarah graciously accepted the door. Sometimes, being the oldest member of the cell had benefits. She got a booth for four, the rising walls didn't mean much against the supernatural senses they had to contend with, but it helped keep oblivious normals from butting in.

She ordered pasta, heavy on the garlic, and took a tin of Altoids out of her purse in preparation.

21. - Top - End - #21

Kevin

"Man, you read my mind. Lets get some calzones over here!" Kevin said loudly, getting a plate full before rubbing his hands together. "****, its cold as fish***s out there." He continued, coughing a bit before starting on his meal.

With a mouth still full of food, he looked up at Sarah and said, "So what are we doing?", in a half muffled mouth full of food way.
    Last edited by Tichrondrius; 2009-01-09 at 06:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aaron

Finally relaxing a bit Aaron looks over at Kevin.

Eating, obviously. But as for after... I'm not too sure. I'd like to try avoiding the lodge as much as we can while we're being followed. I've got my pistol carried on me and the Ithaca secured under the rear seat in my car, that should be enough for most problems as long as we're smart. What we need to do is to find what's after us. Basic tactics are that taking out the leader has the largest effect on a coordinated enemy force. Aaron stops talking as the waitress comes by again, waiting for her to leave before continuing.

Have you managed to find anything useful Sarah? You have better contacts than I do for this kind of thing. Mostly I get a list of missing people that's too long for my tastes.