New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Empty Streets, Chapter One: Cold Awakening

"It's American whiskey, of course it isn't drinkable," David chuckles. "Then again, I could really use a drink..."
    Last edited by Warpfire; 2009-01-10 at 06:06 PM.
    Witch Hunter Avatar by Dr. Bath
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not the whiskey, fool! That's more than drinkable, that's... divine. I'm talking about this here! The medical alcohol!"
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

((Whoops, should have paid more attention...))

"Well of course you can't drink medical alcohol. Don't be crazy."
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam grumbled. This meant less alcohol to drink.
    "What use is it then?" he mumbled, guzzling down some more whiskey to digest this unfortunate discovery.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

David shrugs.
    "Well, it's good for preventing wound infections."
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Hey, lay off the Gentleman Jack," Jordan says. "By the way, this generator. It's warm. It's been used recently. Someone was here. Now shush up while I turn the computers on and see what's going on. We've only got maybe two minutes of power."
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The computer flickers into life, and the monitors above you crackle as they're activated.

The monitors are mostly blank, showing nothing but darkness. A timestamp at the bottom seems to imply that the monitors are for surveillance purposes, but the timestamps themselves are filled with gibberish numbers and letters. A few of the monitors occasionally crackle into static.

Only one security monitor shows anything--the monitor in the command center, showing the activated monitor and huddled figures.

The computer monitor takes a moment to register anything, before displaying Restoring... and cutting to a main menu of some kind.

What appears to be displayed is the archives from the security footage. You can select any time period between January 1st, 2011 and January 17th, 2011, and the footage from the various cameras will be displayed.

Strangely, there appears to be an entirely separate archive, only three seconds long, underneath the longer archive.

Estimated time left on computer: 1 minute, thirty seconds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

They've been out for almost a month? Jesus, Joseph, and Mary ...

Jordan decides to go for the last archive first, seeing as how it stands out. If it's nothing, at least he didn't waste too much time.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bjorn finds his way to the computers and watches the tapes with Jordan. He seems to ignore everything else as no one has answered anything he has said or recognized he even exists.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The footage takes a second to load, and the screen goes blank.

An instant later, you can see a variety of thumbnails, each displaying a different monitor. Most are black, except for two--

One shows a hospital room, several occupied beds, frames illuminated by ghostly lantern light.

One shows the command center, but the image is full of noise and static. It flashes briefly into clarity.

In that moment, you see a black, tapered shape, the size of a human, standing in front of the computer. Its outline is jagged and indistinct, but almost seems like a hooded cloak, looming wordlessly over the desk.

The head turns, and you see a hooked thing, like a wickedly curved beak, jutting from the face.

The images turn black. Archive exhausted.

You have roughly 1 minute, 25 seconds remaining.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-01-11 at 12:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

Jordan doesn't say anything, just furrows his brow. Whatever that was, it was not pleasant.

He goes through the archives, beginning with the earliest date, skimming as quickly as he can through the footage until he finds something interesting. Maybe get some idea of how this place went all to hell.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Jordan begins the archives at 12:01 AM, January 1st, and begins dragging the footage slider through rapidly.

What he gets is a time-lapse animation of pure chaos.

Figures race through the halls of the hospital, lights dim, shadows everywhere. Guards blink in and out of existence, gurneys hurtle past mobs of doctors and patients alike. After ten seconds of this nightmarish scene, Jordan sees something that could be of interest--a fight breaking out. He may stop here and view this, if he wishes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

"What the hell is this?" he says, in Bjorn's general direction, without taking his eyes off the screen. He slows to watch the fight.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Through the camera near the quarantine rooms, a man and an orderly appear to be wrestling. The orderly is trying to pull him away from the reinforced door, and the man is struggling, appearing to shout something.

A security guard races around the corner, grabbing the man and aiding in pulling him away. The man looks ready to break down into tears, screaming and trying to make his way towards the door.

Eventually, they drag him out of that hallway and out of that camera's range. He reappears later, near the entrance, being throw roughly outside the hospital by the two of them. Through the glass doors, you can see police officers racing towards the man, seizing him and dragging him out of sight for good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

This is getting weirder by the minute. Jordan sifts through as much of the remaining security footage as he can, keeping an eye out in particular for places they could get into which might be of use to them, and how to get there if they can.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

With only about 45 seconds left, Jordan begins to race through the remaining footage.

January 7th through January 10th, fights continue to break out all through the hospital, with at least one incident occurring near the quarantine room. The place seems like a madhouse, people milling thick as rats through the halls. It is difficult to imagine a more disturbing sight.

And then, January 11th through January 15th, such a sight is furnished by reality. The mobs begin to thin, with patients draining slowly out, some still in hospital scrubs...until there is absolutely nobody entering or leaving the hospital at all. Doctors dart from ill-lit hospital room to ill-lit hospital room, seeming rarely to retreat to the on-call room or even sit down.

January 16th, you see a black car pull up to the front. A pair of suited figures come out, and enter. If Jordan wishes to play this segment, there is probably about thirty seconds of power left.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

He bites his lip. Okay. Last one. Hopefully, there are going to be some answers.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The figures stalk into the hospital, and another man, overweight, wearing a lab coat stained with unidentifiable substances, hurries out to meet them. They seem to speak for a moment, then the three of them leave.

A moment later, another lab-coated figure walks out of the main hallway towards the entrance. He walks towards the doors, seeming to be looking for something--then pauses.

After another instant, he races towards the doors...and cannot open them.

He pounds against them, slamming his palms, his arms, and then his shoulder against the thick glass. Each time, he is rebuffed, and each time, he tries again. After a full ten seconds of this behavior, he slides down, his back to the camera, shuddering as if weeping.

More doctors begin to file into the room, pace slow, what expressions are visible appearing shocked.

The computer has 10 seconds of power left. You can continue watching or fast-forward to the end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

Jordan keeps watching.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The doctors seem to be shouting to one another, most of them confused. The one at the door turns, and he says something, expression frozen in what looks like horror.

The doctors fall silent for another few moments.

One of them reaches into his coat. He's holding a handgun. He lifts it up, pointing towards the door...or perhaps towards the man leaning against it.

The generator sputs to an abrupt halt. All of the lights instantly go out, save Sam's lantern.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-01-11 at 01:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Jordan hisses between his teeth. He picks up the generator and gives it a once-over - figure out what kind of fuel it's got in it, maybe see if he could jury-rig something. Turning it over in his hands. Distracting himself from the little movie there, trying to make this whole thing become a mechanical problem, a logic puzzle, with an eventual solution.

"So what did you make of that?" he asks the other men.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, I can't really make any sense out of it, except that..." David hesitates, his tone troubled. "...it looks like we might be stuck in here. And if the man with gun did what it looked like he was about to do, I don't think the entrance area's going to be a pretty sight."
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

23. - Top - End - #113

Saul
    'The ****, has well and truly hit the fan.'

Saul said dryly.

'Looks like we're the only one's here' and it wasn't clear if he ment the hospital, or maybe more.

'If we can trust the time stamp's, we've been out for nearly a month. I reckon we should secure the entrances and exit's, and see what food and water we can find in here. He almost starts slipping into military mode, mentally preparing a harbour map, and going for the SOP when in hostile ground.

Except, there wasn't any friendly ground. Unless he could find a plane and a pilot to England.

'Then, when we know what we've got, maybe even find our gear, we can try and find out what's going on.'

'I'll check the Entrance's if other's don't want to. I don't mind bodies' which was a lie, but Saul didn't show it.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adlan View Post
    Saul
    'Looks like we're the only one's here' and it wasn't clear if he meant the hospital, or maybe more.
    Sam shook his head.
    "No, no, son, what you mean is we're the only people here. Someone turned on that lantern just before we woke, and someone watched us from here. There was a camera in the quarantine room, and it sprung into life when we woke up. This has all been very carefully calculated. They're playing us like marionettes in a macabre puppettheatre"

"Now, to me it seems those first couple of seconds we saw were images taken only a few minutes ago, exactly as we woke up. Whatever that thing was was what was watching us, and what left us behind this lantern here, that seems clear enough to me. It's intentions however, that's the real mystery. I fear it may well be wicked, a creature from the very bowels of hell, no less, for if it were to be trusted it would have surely spoken to us straightforwardly, instead of all this subterfuge. No, they have dark plans, and we're their pawns, whether we like it or not"

He took another swig.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-01-11 at 05:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Jordan heaves a deep sigh. "I'm praying that pointy bit was just a mask, then." He wipes off his hands on his jeans. "Let's get on with it, then. I want to see if I can find some tools. There might be a toolkit somewhere, in a janitor's closet maybe. Might be able to work open the entrance or, I dunno, pop the air duct covers off like they do in films. Maybe even get the power working." He glances thoughtfully at the light fixtures.

It's a weird defense mechanism of his, but the more frightened he gets - and he is damn good and scared right now - the more he starts acting as if somebody's just asked him to change the oil in his pickup or do another equally tedious mechanical chore. Must be some kind of weird denial thing. He doesn't dwell too much on it. He's just grateful he's not prone to freak out.

"I'll go with Saul. Probably better if we all do. Never works out too good in horror movies when the group splits up."
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

"I guess I'll go with as well, because you'll need the light, but the way I see it you gents might want to take a gander at the plan first, or you'll get totally lost"

Dark Sam pulled the plan out of his pants and laid it out on the desk.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The nearest supply closet seems to be off towards the administrative wing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

"Hokay," Jordan says, squinting at the map. "I'm going to the supply closet. Think it would be the best course of action to head that way first, before we check out the entrances. We're pretty much empty handed here as it is. Sound good to y'all?"
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

"Supply closet it is!" Dark Sam cried out, grinning widely. He stuffed the plan back in his pants and led the way to the closet.

30. - Top - End - #120

Saul
    'Thanks for volunteering Johnathan' Saul smiled, and it was clear that the young officer was finding the whole situation a bit tricky to get a handle on. What with a slightly unhinged bloke leading the way, who, as far as could be guessed, was a homeless man before the... event.

He followed Dark Sam though.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.