New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Spell Theme] Direct Damage

I think the problem with your idea is that Magic Missile already does that. I mean I could see how you might do away with spell resistance and all but still that's not that great. It would still only be one point of damage. And the idea seems inherently flawed, I don't ever really know when the BBEG is at 1 hp, my DM doesn't divulge that type of information directly, sure I might get 'extremely wounded' but that could mean he's at 10 hp from a pool of 150 and thus 1 hit point per spell isn't really gonna help that much.

There is all of that and for your first two spells you have to touch them which is something that as a wizard (assuming this is who the spells are going to be for, if it's another class then you would want to specify that) I don't ever really like to get within face-beating distance.

I don't want to completely rain on your parade though, I like the idea if you want to scale magic missile by maybe implementing something like a 0th level and then higher version of it but you would have to be extremely careful, magic missile is already a pretty much universally useful spell.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Really, spells with no save and no SR are pretty much nonexistent, but I'd say that a spell might be able to do 1d3/level toa single target and still not be broken. That, of course, is just a guess. Hopefully someone with more experience at balancing things than I can shed light on this.
    "...it's the principle, dammit...these guys should be living, breathing cannon fodder, not just collections of numbers!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Gosh darn I deleted thd wrong post.... Could a mod just lock or delete this for me? I had a little brain fart and I screwed this up...
    Seamstresses\' Guild Volunteer Since 1994

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Just repost the spell stats.
    \"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of whether submarines can swim.\"&& -- Dijkstra

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I could, but a qiuick jaunt through the players guide made me realize my spell was a pos
    Seamstresses\' Guild Volunteer Since 1994