New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Erfworld 136 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 123

Woot new comic up! And my prevision was right, Hamster is joining the fray!

Hmm, also seems like there's combat spells available. However, if they were usefull, why didn't Wanda use them? perhaps because she didn't receive orders to do so.

Anyway, it seems like Hamster sill has a sizeable force. With the hit and retreat tactics, they may wear down the coalition enough to heal at dawn and then follow up with a deadly counter attack.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-01-06 at 07:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 136 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 123

So. That Eager Elf in the last panel is wielding the Master Sword.

I wonder if that's a magic weapon or if it's just the basic Eager Elf swordsman weapon.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #4

I think it's actually the four sword. There's other colored elfs behind him at least.

But since it isn't shiny then it isn't a fully awakened Master Sword, so probably standard combat gear, in homage to some ancient elvish who reapears trough the ages. Young elvish warriors don the typical green clothes, sword and shield to prove their bravery in the field of battle
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-01-06 at 07:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

First time I've had a new comic while I'm on the forum in a long time. Ah the memories...

I too am curious about Wanda's "private stash". Hmm....
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whoo-hooo! Eager elves!

Somehow I don't see the schlemiel elves being so eager.

And there's the ruthlessness showing: Parson considers whether to let Wanda die in order to have Sizemore help defend the walls. And now he's off to lead the battle, presumably abandoning the tower since he'd be bound to lose it to the archons--though who knows but that he may have some plan to deal with them now that Charlie has re-allied himself with the RCC.

I love the panels with the KISS and the Uncroaked Warlords (Archduke Ferdinand and Ensign Toast) waiting for battle.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2009-01-06 at 08:02 PM.
    Quo vadis?

7. - Top - End - #7

Wow, did anyone noticed those oldest warlords have only one arm each? How long are they gonna hold themselves in that poor state?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Wow, did anyone noticed those oldest warlords have only one arm each? How long are they gonna hold themselves in that poor state?
    Long enough, I hope.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

here we go, parson opens the bag 'o tricks and starts to lay down the pain on the RCC by hand, which is probably the most forshadowed event in this arc

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been rereading everything since Stanley first left with all the Dwagons.

He spent a turn flying as far away as possible, then the Coalition spent a turn getting into position to ambush him. Then Stanley flew into their ambush and flew back out again, so at the end of that turn he was in the same spot he'd been in at the start--which was one turn's worth of Dwagon flight from Gobwin Knob. Which means he should arrive back at the Knob at the start of his next turn.

With Charlie as a new side, an Erfworld day should run like this:

1. Charlie
    2. Gobwin Knob
    3. Coalition
    4. Charlie
    5. Gobwin Knob
    6. Coalition
    7. Night, no fighting
    8. Repeat.

Unless I've miscalculated (which I may very well have, every time I read about the turn-based day I seem to spot an inconsistency) we are at stage 3 on that list right now. I don't think Ansom could have croaked more than a few dozen of Parson's Uncroaked troops during his little one-man wall raid, judging from the speed at which he seemed to be croaking them and the time it took for Wanda and the fliers to make him knock it off; that means Parson's still got almost three thousand Uncroaked troops. Plus a good few Spidews, the Knights, and whatever Gobwins are left. And the Spidews and Knights and Gobwins have probably leveled up quite a bit from croaking all those Jetstones and Marbits. (Non-Warlord units can level up too, right? I mean, they must. Stanley didn't start as a Warlord but he seems to have leveled up quite a bit.) So, yeah, with all of that combined... plus the Croakamancer bonus if they heal Wanda fast enough, plus whatever bonus Parson and the sword give... I don't see Ansom conquering Gobwin Knob's garrison, at least not in the remainder of this turn.

The bigger issue is Charlie's turn. I don't think Parson can fight his way out of that one, but he might be able to sweet-talk Charlie into inaction again.

And if all goes according to plan, Stanley shows up as soon as Charlie ends turn and blows Charlie out of the Airspace before he knows what hit him. Combined Dwagons and Uncroaked forces should be enough to make the Coalition retreat, hopefully.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post

He spent a turn flying as far away as possible, then the Coalition spent a turn getting into position to ambush him. Then Stanley flew into their ambush and flew back out again, so at the end of that turn he was in the same spot he'd been in at the start--which was one turn's worth of Dwagon flight from Gobwin Knob. Which means he should arrive back at the Knob at the start of his next turn.

1. Charlie
    2. Gobwin Knob
    3. Coalition
    4. Charlie
    5. Gobwin Knob
    6. Coalition
    7. Night, no fighting
    8. Repeat.

Unless I've miscalculated (which I may very well have, every time I read about the turn-based day I seem to spot an inconsistency)
    You have. I don't have the link here, but Word of God specifically says that allying with the coalition means that Charlie shares their turn -- the turn order at the moment is:

1. Coalition,
    2. Gobwin Knob,
    3. Night, no fighting
    4. Repeat.

(Technically, though, Translvito is still not part of the coalition... I think.)

We are on step one, and Gobwin Knob gets the next turn in any case.

12. - Top - End - #12

Charlie's part of the RCC again. His turn is subsumed into theirs.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    You have. I don't have the link here, but Word of God specifically says that allying with the coalition means that Charlie shares their turn -- the turn order at the moment is:

1. Coalition,
    2. Gobwin Knob,
    3. Night, no fighting
    4. Repeat.

(Technically, though, Translvito is still not part of the coalition... I think.)

We are on step one, and Gobwin Knob gets the next turn in any case.
    Wasn't the turn order for this day
    1. Charlie
    2. Gobwin Knob
    3. Coalition
    4. Night

?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

1. Charlie
    2. Gobwin Knob
    3. Coalition
    4. Charlie
    5. Gobwin Knob
    6. Coalition
    7. Night, no fighting
    8. Repeat.

Unless I've miscalculated (which I may very well have, every time I read about the turn-based day I seem to spot an inconsistency) we are at stage 3 on that list right now. I don't think Ansom could have croaked more than a few dozen of Parson's Uncroaked troops during his little one-man wall raid, judging from the speed at which he seemed to be croaking them and the time it took for Wanda and the fliers to make him knock it off; that means Parson's still got almost three thousand Uncroaked troops. Plus a good few Spidews, the Knights, and whatever Gobwins are left. And the Spidews and Knights and Gobwins have probably leveled up quite a bit from croaking all those Jetstones and Marbits. (Non-Warlord units can level up too, right? I mean, they must. Stanley didn't start as a Warlord but he seems to have leveled up quite a bit.) So, yeah, with all of that combined... plus the Croakamancer bonus if they heal Wanda fast enough, plus whatever bonus Parson and the sword give... I don't see Ansom conquering Gobwin Knob's garrison, at least not in the remainder of this turn.

The bigger issue is Charlie's turn. I don't think Parson can fight his way out of that one, but he might be able to sweet-talk Charlie into inaction again.

And if all goes according to plan, Stanley shows up as soon as Charlie ends turn and blows Charlie out of the Airspace before he knows what hit him. Combined Dwagons and Uncroaked forces should be enough to make the Coalition retreat, hopefully.
    Now that Charlies allied to the RCC, he goes on their turn not his (as theirs is the later in the day). So, even if he can't come up with a plan for croaking them on his turn, his troops will at least be healed (& Stanley may have turned up) before he has to worry about the archons attacking.

EDIT: beaten to it! Darn my drunken typing skills (or lack thereof) *shrug*
    Last edited by HPV; 2009-01-06 at 09:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

1) Charlie
    2) Transylvito + Jillian (Might be before charlie, but not important to the story at this point)
    3) GK
    4) RC Coalition ('Now' as of Page 128)

5) Night

6) Transylvito + Jillian
    7) GK
    8) RCC + Charlie

9) Night Again

Charlie took his turn before Parson had breakfast this morning.
    Then Charlie ended turn in the hopes of getting bonus artifacts.
    Then Sizemore sallied and pwned Webinar in the tunnels before sealing up.
    Wanda animated the dead, and they deployed to the walls.

Now Ansom and co are attacking the outer walls zone, and the GK forces are falling back.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion

1. Coalition,
    2. Gobwin Knob,
    3. Night, no fighting
    4. Repeat.
    Erm... GK comes first so it goes
    1) Night
    2) Trans
    3) GK
    4) Coalition
    5)Return to step one.

Secondly, pwn them all Parson! I think this is a pretty good tactic, Parson's units should all get to fight and still buff the garrison walls. And this time I'm sure Parson won't let it be so weak, gaurded by only helpless undead.

Hmm, also seems like there's combat spells available. However, if they were usefull, why didn't Wanda use them? perhaps because she didn't receive orders to do so.
    Because she could beat him im melee.

Oh yeah, one left-field prediction for ending. Ansom mistakes the stat-less Parson for an illusion meant to scare people. Dives for Wanda and promptly gets stabbed in the back.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Finally Parson actually goes into combat. I think he's starting to take this a bit more seriously now and not thinking as much in terms of "gaming". What's going to happen though?

Stanley should be on his way back so hopefully the attack and retreat ploy will keep Ansom's men busy til GK's next turn. Maybe we actually learn what the "special" means on Parson's stats?

As for Wanda, well hopefully they can heal her, but maybe this is going to be her last dying breath. I can almost see her refusing the heal spell and saying that Parson should stay stocked on them (his tactical mind and skill are what's keeping them alive). But hey, who knows.

A fact I've been considering since I first heard about the pliers (forgive me if it's been stated) but perhaps even in its unattuned form it has two side effects, much like the Arkenhammer

Arkenhammer can: Turn walnuts into pigeons (on the third or fourth hit)
    Turn Orlys into walnuts as seen here

purely based on speculation and this direct correlation
    Arkenpliers can: Turn uncroaked to dust
    Kind of opposite, but not really: Heal the living?
    (In a lot of games, a priest can kill zombies or undead hordes by using Heal)
    Last edited by jazz1m; 2009-01-06 at 09:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jazz1m View Post
    Arkenhammer can: Turn walnuts into pigeons (on the third or fourth hit)
    Turn Orlys into walnuts as seen here
    Technically it's already an illusion at that point (notice the bats nearby.) So we don't know whether it can actually do that or not -- it might just be Jack's theatrics. It's not like Jillian would know exactly what the Arkenhammer does, either.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that Gobwin Knob is supposed to get the first turn of the day unless a new side (such as unemployed Charlie) is brought into play. That's why Bogroll was surprised when dawn came and it wasn't their turn.

On the other hand... here and here we see the Coalition getting two turns in a row: the last turn of one day and the first turn of the next day. Does turn order change from day to day? Is there some kind of initiative system for determining turn order on a given day? Gah, confused.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Technically it's already an illusion at that point (notice the bats nearby.) So we don't know whether it can actually do that or not -- it might just be Jack's theatrics. It's not like Jillian would know exactly what the Arkenhammer does, either.
    Seemed like that was Stanley saying is that a walnut and not Jillian.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

No it was an illusion saying "Is that a walnut?" I really wish we had another caster to compare from FAQ...
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by jazz1m View Post
    As for Wanda, well hopefully they can heal her, but maybe this is going to be her last dying breath. I can almost see her refusing the heal spell and saying that Parson should stay stocked on them (his tactical mind and skill are what's keeping them alive). But hey, who knows.
    Not very probable, since Wanda is a VERY valuable unit. Specially because she gives fat bonus to uncroackeds, and they need that bonus if they want to hold the coalition off. And we also saw she's more than capable than holding her own weight in battle.

So, she's much more usefull alive than croacked.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

On the other hand... here and here we see the Coalition getting two turns in a row: the last turn of one day and the first turn of the next day. Does turn order change from day to day? Is there some kind of initiative system for determining turn order on a given day? Gah, confused.
    The second one has no indication of what time of day it is; the simplest explanation is that the scene of Jillian's departure takes place the next afternoon and Gobwin Knob's turn that day is completely uneventful or was shown out of order (the initial discussion between Wanda and Stanley about the summoning spell, perhaps?) in order to make the initial exposition work better.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    No it was an illusion saying "Is that a walnut?" I really wish we had another caster to compare from FAQ...
    Right after I posted my response to you, I realized what you were trying to say.
    Still, would be an interesting dichotomy no? Two sides effects for every arkentool (attunement power not included)
    Oslecamo: Nah, I know she'll probably get healed, it's just nice to bandy around ideas. I did say almost
    Last edited by jazz1m; 2009-01-06 at 10:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Turn order is

Charlie. Transylvito. Gobwin. Coallition.
    (not sure if Chalie is before or after Transylvito).

It is fixed unless allied. When Charlie and Transylvito were allied with the Coallition they moved on the Coallitions turn. Jillian got to move twice between Gobwin turns by

0. Gobwin's Turn
    1. Moving with the Coallition.
    2. Breaking the alliance with Coalliation. Allying with Transylvitio Ending turn.
    3. Night
    4. Moving with Tranylvitio
    5. Gobwins Turn

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

In the beginning of the strip Stanley was in his tower turning walnuts into Orly's, and Jacks Illusion did the opposite, So the hammer does do some strange things, the pliers may very well have some strange unknown alter power
    I got dial up so it is hard to search the back issues for the link. sorry

EDIT: here is the link -
    Start Here and go through the next two in order :)
    Last edited by DrivinAllNight; 2009-01-06 at 10:39 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And it harm none, Do as you will

Proud Second Baker to the Fan Club

Kewl Avatar by someone who's name I forgot

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

And in pour the arrow fodder. Although if they're actually willing to follow Ansom...

Oldest Uncroaked Warlords must surely mean they have more.

Private Stash = Very Interesting. Uncroaking Spells for when she runs out of juice perhaps?
    Last edited by Whispri; 2009-01-06 at 10:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whispri View Post
    And in pour the arrow fodder. Although if they're actually willing to follow Ansom...

Oldest Uncroaked Warlords must surely mean they have more.
    They had five, and lost three in the battle over the lake. (They briefly had Webinar and Dora, but lost them too in this battle.) The currently remaining ones (Archduke Ferdinand and Ensign Toast) were among the older and more decayed ones.

The only way they could have any others is if there were other warlords in the tunnel incursion forces. If so, I expect that they'll be purely incidental and probably short-"lived"; if they exist and have any significance in the story it was a bit of a glitch not to mention them earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    And there's the ruthlessness showing: Parson considers whether to let Wanda die in order to have Sizemore help defend the walls.
    I can imagine the expression on Sizemore's face (and the tone of his subvocalized voice) when he asks what Parson's orders are....
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2009-01-06 at 10:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, to clarify, now that Charlie is allied with the RCC the turn order is:

1. Transylvito/Faq
    2. Gobwin Knob
    3. RCC
    -- Night

Now, we are still in the middle of the RCC turn, so presuming the RCC forces are unable to capture the garrison, it will be night then TV/Faq, then GK.

Keep in mind that it seems as if Parson is acting now, but that is only because he is defending the city.

As for Wanda's stash, they are probably not combat spells. Probably spells to assist her 'other duties'/hobbies. Healomancy, Thinkomancy, and so forth.

Parson may have lost count of his uncroaked warlords, though that would be uncharacteristic of him.

30. - Top - End - #30

Bets are that she has a spell "magic bullet" that she didn't told of before
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul