New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Spell Theme] Brooms

Theme: Brooms ! The base idea was the witch flying broom, then I tried to figure what to do with a broom ... I'll add some new spells if I have time to.

Animate broom
    Transmutation
    Level: Brd 0, Sorc/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S, F
    Casting Time: Standard Action
    Range: Touch
    Target: One broom
    Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
    Saving Throw: No
    Spell Resistance: No
    The touched broom become animated, and will clean up the area. If the broom take any damage or is touched by any creature, the spell ends. The broom will not move farther than 30 feet from the point he has been animated.
    This spell cannot animate a broom carried or worn by a creature.
    Focus: A wood or darkwood non magical broom.

Flying broom
    Transmutation
    Level: Sorc/Wiz 4
    Components: V, S, F
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 10 min./level (D)
    You can fly by riding a specially prepared broom at a speed of 40 feet (30 feet if wearing medium or heavy armor, or if carrying a medium or heavy load) with good maneuverability. Flying on the broom requires no concentration, but you're considered riding it : you're subject to all Ride rules, but you can use Spellcraft score. Mounted combat and other mounted feats may be used.
    The broom have hardness 5, and five times the caster level in HP (double this amount if it's a darkwood broom). If the broom is destructed, the spell ends.
    Focus: The broom, which must be made with wood or darkwood. The prepartion is worth 1,000 gp plus the cost of the broom, and requires one full day of work.

Trampling broom
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 7
    Components: V, S, M
    Range: A broom
    Target: Touch
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    The touched broom become a gargantuan animated object. It acts immediately, on your turn and will attack your opponents to the best of its ability. It gains a +4 insight bonus on attacks and damage rolls versus Vermine. If destroyed by a physical mean, it will disappear and two Huge Animated brooms will appear. They gain a +2 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls versus Vermine.
    Material component: A wood or darkwood non magical broom.

Annihilating broom
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 9
    b]Casting Time:[/b] Standard Action
    Range: Touch
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous (see text)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
    This spell imbue a specially prepared broom with the Cosmic Power of the Creatures Thrash. The next creature touched by the end of the broom will be affected as if touched by an Annihilation sphere unless it makes a successful Fortitude saving throw. If the caster leave the broom or if it is destroyed before having touched a creature, the caster is affected by the effect and must make the saving throw or be annihilated.
    Material component: A wood or darkwood non magical broom specially prepared with runes, which costs 1,000 gp and one full day of work.
    Why should I use a sig ?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: [Spell Theme] Brooms

Gives new blood to the old paranoid PC trap.

"Behind the door you can see a 30'x30' chamber. Another door is on the far wall. In the middle of the room, there is a broom lying on the floor. There appear to be no other decorations in the room."

;D
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

3. - Top - End - #3

Great, now I'll have The Sorcerer's Apprentice stuck in my head all day!

It seems to me that 1,000GP and a full day of prep-work seems a tad steep price for only 40 minutes of flying (at fourth level).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, this is a Focus, so you don't have to preparate it each time you cast the spell - only once. That's not a big deal, but maybe 1,000 gp is still too much ?
    Why should I use a sig ?

5. - Top - End - #5

So, as I understand it, you spend a full day preparing your broom and then, assuming you're fourth level, you have 40 minutes of flying time before you have to prepare again? And you don't have to take all you minutes at once, you can, say, fly for ten minutes, dismount, do some stuff, and then go flying for 15 minutes, land, take a nap, etc., etc. until you've used up 40 minutes? Do you need the day of preparation for each casting's worth of flying, or is the preparation a one-time deal (with a given broom) and then you just use a Standard Action to "recharge" your broom?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

First, as the spell level is 4, you have to be at least a 7th level caster to cast it ;)
    Second, your second guess is correct. A focus is a component that is not consumed when the spell is cast. So all you have to do is prepare the broom one time. After that, you can cast the spell any number of time you want (and can, that's still a 4th level spell)- provided the broom has not been broken. And each casting give you at least 70 minutes of fly. It's an intermediate duration between fly and overland fly, so I guess it's fine, even if you have to Ride the broom.
    Why should I use a sig ?

7. - Top - End - #7

In that case, then the 1000GP might not be so bad. I was under the mistaken impression that you need a day of preparation and 1000GP each time you cast it. But this is very cool.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Trampling broom
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 7
    Range: A broom
    Target: Touch
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    The touched broom become a gargantuan animated object. It acts immediately, on your turn and will attack your opponents to the best of its ability. It gains a +4 insight bonus on attacks and damage rolls versus Vermine. If destroyed by a physical mean, it will disappear and two Huge Animated brooms will appear. They gain a +2 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls versus Vermine.
    Material component: A wood or darkwood non magical broom.
    Its a trchnical note: you might say instead if destroyed by a physical mean "before" duration ends, it will create two Huge animated Brooms.

Because it kinda seems that the broom disappear aka invisible, which is weird lol.

Nice spells, never look at a broom the same way again ;D

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I love it! ;D But animate broom seens like a weaker version of Presidigitation to me.

Kire
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

You know, I may not be part of a fan club, but Hinjo sure rocks my socks.