New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Trouble at Mount Cerena IC

Tol, I think he's already disarmed.

Nevan

Nevan frowns when he feels the creature's pulse -- or lack of one, rather. He was not hoping to actually kill any of them. But he stands up as Gana removes the body, turning his attention to the ex-prisoner.

"And who are you?" he asks. "And what race is this?" he adds, motioning to the dead ?.

As the man begins talking, Nevan moves to the felled goblins, trying to keep them from bleeding to death from their wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal checks to ascertain proximity to death and stabilize.
    Heal - (1d20+7)[11] Heal - (1d20+7)[23]
    Heal - (1d20+7)[10] Heal - (1d20+7)[18]
    Heal - (1d20+7)[9] Heal - (1d20+7)[10]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanos

Thanos nods. "Yeah, but we don't need to stay in this cart, do we? Let's get back to our wagon."

He looks from Gana to Nevan, notching an arrow and pointing it at one of the goblins laying on the ground. "Did we miss one?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiSamurai View Post
    As he says this, he shoves the empty crossbow into the goblin's hands
    Noftur rearmed the goblin for dramatic effect. Gana, unfortunately, is oblivious to dramatic effect.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #124

Adtasi looks at Gana, then to the man again.

"Yes, I believe our Orcish companion here has said what we all want to know, friend."
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

5. - Top - End - #125

The man, still obviously shaken up, looks between all of those standing around him.

"This creature... I had heard of these before, if it is, in fact, what I believe it is. Well, I should not jump to conclusions, I suppose. Unless the prisoner wants to explain."

The man turns his attention to the surviving goblin.

The goblin remains terrified. He seems to flinch at each turn in Noftur's song. He turns when Nevan speaks to him, but does not respond.

Thanos, standing at the door and looking outside, does notice the conductor walking quickly towards the wagon. His face seems a mix of anger and fear.

Spoiler
    Show

The healing checks are unneeded. The other goblins are dead.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Noftur

Glancing the conductor's way, Noftur stands up after finishing his chant. He steps inside and tells the others 'We've got company.' He then turns to the goblin.

Glaring at it, he barks something at it in Goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Don't make me angry wormscum. Now, who are you, what were you doing, and why?'

'Quickly!' He half-screams at the goblin.

7. - Top - End - #127

Do we die at 0 rather than -10 in this game?
    And Nevan was actually talking to the human, not the goblin.

Nevan

Nevan moves between the goblins, shaking his head as he discovers that they are beyond his help. The group will need to restrain themselves in the future.

"Who's coming?" Nevan asks of Noftur and Thanos, picking up his bow and moving toward the door.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

8. - Top - End - #128

Thanos

"The dwarf is right," says Thanos, his voice filled with irritation and apprehension. "The conductor is coming. I'll try to stall him."

Before anyone can say anything against his plan, Thanos quickly stows his bow, steps out of the car and begins walking on an intercept course with the conductor.

"There you are!" Thanos calls out to the conductor, loud enough to be heard by the rest of the party and praying they understand his meaning. "I've been looking through the wagons for you. One of my traveling companions tripped stepping into our wagon, and suffered a rather terrible wound. I'd hate for you to be exposed to litigation--do you have a medic or healer amongst your company?"

This plan was not a very good one, but maybe it would buy them enough time to get back to the wagon they belonged in; if it did work, Noftur would get adequate healing instead of the makeshift bandage he had now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained Bluff - (1d20+1)[17]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

9. - Top - End - #129

Replacing his crossbow, Adtasi quickly skitters along back out the door. Once outside, he looks to see if he could make it back to their wagon without being spotted.

Spoiler
    Show

Is there any way that Adtasi could leg it back to their wagon without being spotted/heard? If so;
    Hide: (1d20+9)[12]
    Move Silently (1d20+9)[14]
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gana

Gana shakes her head, not understanding why they wouldn't just tell the conductor what happened. Perhaps this was more of this civilized behaviour that she found so difficult to track the meaning of.

She helped the former prisoner up, and offered him a drink from her waterskin.

"Easy, Mister. Looks like the goblin is too frightened to talk right now. Maybe you can start off?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Noftur

'The game's already up. The wagon door's open and he's seen me anyway. What are you going to do, drag the bodies out the other side, have someone stay behind and guard ugly here, close the door behind me and have me go out there and say I tripped and slashed myself with my axe?'

As he says this he looks around at the others in the wagon. He waits momentarily for any acknowledgment of what he obviously thinks is a ridiculous idea.

12. - Top - End - #132

The goblin jumps as Noftur address' it. In goblin, he says:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Nomi, Nomi I am called. They said I get much coins if I come along. They said, they said. We, we just wanted to ransom this noble and flee again.

The former prisoner looks to Noftur. "What did he say?"

The conductor, intercepted by Thanos, looks incredibly flustered. "Oh my, terrible news, terrible. Let me see if I can track someone down to help."

The conductor summarily runs the other way, even faster than he had been before.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Noftur

Poking his head out of the wagon and seeing the conductor heading in the opposite direction, Noftur mutters '...bought us some time...' loud enough for everyone to hear.

Then, looking at the former hostage he says 'It's name is Nomi. In it for the money. Doesn't know anything. Although, now that we have a moment...

Noftur turns toward the goblin, and then shoots his hand out toward its throat as he growls at it:

(In Goblin)
    Spoiler
    Show
    'What is that thing and where did it come from?!'

He points toward the strange humanoid's corpse as he brings his scarred and broken remains of his face within inches of the goblin's nose.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate check(1d20+4)[14]
    Last edited by OrigamiSamurai; 2009-01-24 at 10:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Thanos

Thanos nods, and as soon as the conductor whips out of view, sprints back to the goblins' car. He pokes his head in the door and says sternly, "The conductor is getting a medic. I don't know how long it will be. I need someone wounded to come with me, buy Noftur some more time."

He draws and aims an arrow at the goblin. "Of course, if there were no survivors, we could just all leave."

He doubts the goblin speaks common, but his meaning is clear. Thanos urgently worries that the conductor will see through his lie and then they'll seriously be in trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another, Intimidate, Untrained - (1d20+1)[7]

15. - Top - End - #135

Nevan

"Thanos," Nevan says with a heavy sigh, clapping his hand to his head. Even if they could hide the bodies -- and wanted to -- the human wasn't going to evaporate into thin air. Stupid. Naive.

"You're very right," he says to Noftur. "Adtasi, where are you going?"

Turning back to the rescued human, Nevan takes a deep breath. Looking the man carefully in the eyes, he puts his mind to paralleling Noftur's work on the goblin. In a slightly softer way.

"So you still haven't told us anything about yourself. Or thanked us, for that matter. But I at least want to hear who you are, where are you from, and how you got captured by this lot. Oh, and again -- what species is this creature I killed?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Daen

"Wouldn't it be actually better if the conductor would find a healer that can help Noftur? We can then separate them and send the conductor on his way, while the healer would be more sensible to hear our part and be persuaded," Daen offers, stationed near the other door and looking wary for other potential incomers.

17. - Top - End - #137

Seeing that the conductor has started heading back the other way, Adtasi scampers back into the wagon, embarrassed that he panicked. "Sorry about that. Reflex action. Did you manage to get the conductor to go away? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we told him the truth, actually."

18. - Top - End - #138

Thanos

It was now Thanos's turn to sigh, which he did.

"It's up to you guys. If one of you wants to help me fool the conductor, let's get going. I'd suggest Noftur, but we need him to interrogate the goblin. Still, though..."

His voice trails off, irritated at Nevan's air of superiority. He didn't see Nevan contributing all that much to the overall well-being of the group. A dead monster was a dead monster, Thanos didn't much care if it was a goblin or a golem, so long as it didn't get back up and attack them.

19. - Top - End - #139

The prisoner frowns at Noftur. "In it for the money? What money?"

The goblin's voice squeaks as it replies to Noftur, in goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Uh, big goblin? I don't know, many of them back at Gromshead."

As Nevan speaker, the former prisoner turns his head at glares. "I.. I did thank..." He coughs. "Excuse my manners. Thank you, thank you all. I very much appreciate your assistance in freeing me from these creatures."

As he collects his robes around himself, he continues. "My name is Berrian Thames. I am a priest of the Flame Walker, Gregarin. I was traveling to the capital city from the east, accompanied by two of the faithful as guard. These creatures descended upon us from the hills. We tried to outrun them, but our horses were already overworked. They overtook us, slew the two guards, and bound me. Many of them fled into the hills as quickly as they had appeared, and these few brought me here."

Berrian peers at the weird humanoid. "As for this...thing. I wouldn't want to be so suggestive, but since you're demanding," he pauses, his eyes flickering towards Nevan, "I believe it is a troll derivative. Some of the books in our library mention the...alchemy that the kalasti performed to create new races. This one has blends of troll and another humanoid, perhaps goblin, I don't know. But, if one survived all this time unknown, there's no readon to believe there aren't more."

20. - Top - End - #140

Thanos

"Unless it hasn't survived all this time. Unless the Kalasti are back, and they're breeding again," Thanos says, lowering his bow in dread.

He pokes his head out of the cart to see if the conductor is coming.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gana

Gana grunted at the explanation. The goblins were pretty brazen, bundling a kidnapped prisoner onto one of those wagons. She scratched her head.

How long you been on this wagon? You think the conductor knows about you being kidnapped?

She looks around in the wagon, trying to see how the goblins might have disguised their intent.

22. - Top - End - #142

Nevan

"Pleased to meet you, Barienn," Xander says, offering a firm hand. "Nevan Alibo."

Wonder if I shouldn't have given my last name. Probably safe.

"I would guess that they meant to hold you for ransom," Nevan says. "Have you or your church much money?"

Nevan tries to make it quite clear in his voice that he's only asking to figure out the goblins' motivation, but he's not sure if he quite manages.

Thanos' words sound at first ring of melodrama, but considering that the group is travelling to meet another Kalasti disturbance, there might be... well, something to what the boy says.

Young man! Nevan reminds himself.

He doesn't comment on the young man's words. But he scowls.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Noftur

Listening to the goblin, Noftur tells the group 'It says it doesn't know what the 'big goblin' is but there are more of them near Gromshead.'

As soon as Berrian says 'troll' Noftur lets go of the goblin and whirls around, whipping out his axe as he does so. He lops off the head of the hybrid goblin with one smooth motion and dumps some of the liquid from the flask at his hip over the severed neck. The liquid hisses and sputters at it hits the corpse.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gana

Looking with some confusion at Noftur's sudden action, Gana glances around at the others.

So...trolls live more than once, do they?

25. - Top - End - #145

Nevan

Nevan chuckles a bit.

"Forest lore says that they can regenerate missing body parts, and that their wounds close very quickly," he says. "But I can assure you, Noftur, that that... thing, troll or no, was quite dead from the wounds I gave it alone."
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

26. - Top - End - #146

Adtasi refrains from introducing himself to the man, unenthusiastic about spreading his name further. His first name wasn't noteworthy enough to instantly key him in as a man with the price on his head, but there was no sense in taking too many unnecessary risks.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Daen

As theories run wild in the crowded wagon, Daen patiently continues to stand guard near the door, but part of his mind tries to focus on the conversations to pick up any useful information.

Gromshead. I got to remember that for later.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2009-01-26 at 04:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Noftur

Stopping up the flask, Noftur nods at Nevan. 'Can't hurt to be sure. I didn't spend six months studying giants for nothing.' Noftur wipes the blood off his axe and replaces it at his hip. As he does so he tells Gana 'Nevan there is right. Trolls are infamous among the dwarves for getting back up after being killed, even torn to bits. Takes a bit of fire or acid to really kill them.' He pats the flask as he says this. 'Now, what are we going to do about the conductor? And for that matter, what are we going to do about ugly here? What say you, Berrian?'

29. - Top - End - #149

Berrian firmly shakes Nevan's hand. "Good to meet you." After hearing Nevan's question about the churches financial standing, he eyes Nevan for a moment, but then his attention is drawn away.

Berrian turns his attention to Gana. "I've been captured for past two days now, but we have only been on that cart for a short time."

Berrian then shrugs in Noftur's direction. "I'd like to say off with the bugger's head, but I know that's not the real way to deal with this. I think it is important to turn him over to the law."

As if Berrian's voice summoned the law, the conductor appears rushing forth with what appears to be a medic and two guards behind him. The conductor is motioning with his hand towards the group, the guards nodding occasionally at him and motioning for him to hurry.

30. - Top - End - #150

Thanos

"Speaking of which," Thanos says quickly. "The conductor is one his way. He brought two guards with the medic. At least they'll be able to revive us after they knock us unconscious, I guess."

Thanos slumps back against the wall, resigned to whatever is about to happen.