New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default All the Fix'n's: The best of homebrew overhauls

Question: Is there any set of links to all the good or interesting fixes and simplifications for 3.5 D&D? I'm curious about all the overall homebrew rules. Stuff people have thought of to balance classes, races, spells whatever. The parameters of my games are: Forgotten Realms, Non-Psionic.

Also; does anyone know what a half-drow half-non-drow-elf is called and if it has stats?
    Last edited by paladin_carvin; 2009-01-05 at 08:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: All the Fix'n's

Quote Originally Posted by paladin_carvin View Post
    Also; does anyone know what a half-drow half-non-drow-elf is called and if it has stats?
    I'd call it "Doomed to Angst", but that's just me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    I'd call it "Doomed to Angst", but that's just me.
    That's too long to fit on the character sheet.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

That's too long to fit on the character sheet.
    Emo Gray?...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elf (mixed subrace) or elf (mutt)? Homebrewing stats for it should be easy. Just like a regular non-drow but throw in darkvision. Poof. As far as weapon proficiencies, pick those based on which community they grew up in, since that's a cultural thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Queenfange View Post
    Elf (mixed subrace) or elf (mutt)? Homebrewing stats for it should be easy. Just like a regular non-drow but throw in darkvision. Poof. As far as weapon proficiencies, pick those based on which community they grew up in, since that's a cultural thing.
    Yea, kinda what I was figurin'. I guess since I'm so much into Forgotten Realms... the setting that can describe many of the towns of 500 people to the building, would cover something like that. I know that the PS2 game Demon Stone had such a character, but that isn't canon as well as non-d20. Thanks though, I think I will do just as you prescribed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

In regards to your original question: is the reason you don't allow psionic related to balance or Flavor? And what is your opinion of the Tome of Battle? Are all other splatbooks allowed? This will give better guidelines for what your game would easily accept.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    In regards to your original question: is the reason you don't allow psionic related to balance or Flavor? And what is your opinion of the Tome of Battle? Are all other splatbooks allowed? This will give better guidelines for what your game would easily accept.
    As for psionics: I don't include them for both those reasons as well as how they generally complicate things. I DM for beginners mostly; many are family or in-law family.

I love Forgotten Realms stuff, so all those splat books are gravy. I haven't ever seen anything in the 'Tome' books I liked. I like most of the other splat books, but since I deal mostly with beginners, I try to stay away from non-base things. I love variant things, as well as alternate features; ie urban ranger, non-magic paladin, etc.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: All the Fix'n's: The best of homebrew overhauls

Hmmm...in this case I would suggest not getting fixes, as they tend to complicate things. For instance, Psionics in 3.5(assuming you follow the rules and choose to have the magic/psionic transparency in effect) is one of the simpler and more balance magic systems(significantly more so than the core books). Still, Fax Celestis has some really good fixes here Class Varients.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I homebrewed a Half-Elf Half-Drow race and called them Shadow Elves. They were originally inspired by FR, since there are so many drow that worship Ellistraiee that could potentially live with the surface elves.
    Unfortunately for you, this homebrew is for 4e .
    But they wouldn't be too hard to make in 3.5e. I'd suggest either LA +1 or LA +0 as a target.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I made some class fixes here for the Fighter, Sorcerer, Ranger, and Rogue classes, if you're interested. Nothing too extraordinary, just giving them the little extra leg up they needed to more viable.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Hmmm...in this case I would suggest not getting fixes, as they tend to complicate things. For instance, Psionics in 3.5(assuming you follow the rules and choose to have the magic/psionic transparency in effect) is one of the simpler and more balance magic systems(significantly more so than the core books). Still, Fax Celestis has some really good fixes here Class Varients.
    Those are some cool fixes. Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    I homebrewed a Half-Elf Half-Drow race and called them Shadow Elves. They were originally inspired by FR, since there are so many drow that worship Ellistraiee that could potentially live with the surface elves.
    Unfortunately for you, this homebrew is for 4e .
    But they wouldn't be too hard to make in 3.5e. I'd suggest either LA +1 or LA +0 as a target.
    Shadow Elves... hmm... 3.5 has drow in significant numbers on the surface, even evil ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I made some class fixes here for the Fighter, Sorcerer, Ranger, and Rogue classes, if you're interested. Nothing too extraordinary, just giving them the little extra leg up they needed to more viable.

-X
    Also very good, thanks!