New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] The Emerald Legion-Mass Producing Ikea Tarrasques

Quote Originally Posted by Anterean View Post
    I havn´t read through this in its entirety but how about this

So wouldn´t it possible to starve, drown and choke your Ikea Tarrasques ?
    As were-Dire Sharks, they can breathe water. Choking is only possible if they don't have the Necklaces of Adaptation, and I'm not certain about food.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    As were-Dire Sharks, they can breathe water. Choking is only possible if they don't have the Necklaces of Adaptation, and I'm not certain about food.
    Rings of Sustenance is already on the list
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Reading the thread about Level Loss that is not Energy Drain, I just noted that Undead and Constructs are immune against Energy Drain, but not against negative levels. Though negative levels usually result in energy drain, they aren't the same.

Does that mean Supernatural Enervation is also effective against the legion?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Does that mean Supernatural Enervation is also effective against the legion?
    No, their immunity to energy drain is a result of the Voidmind template, and applies regardless whether the source is spell or supernatural.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

5. - Top - End - #125

Planetar

That's not what I meant. It's more similar to that "Maximized Twinned Magic Missile can be recalled with a 1st level Pearl of Power" exploit:

RAW, Energy Drain is not the same as Negative levels. Immunity to energy drain doesn't automatically bestow immunity to negative levels.

I know it's not commonly used - I didn't realize it till today. It would be perfectly ok to ignore it, but it's RAW and I thought I would share it. To be immune against negative levels, one has to search for an ability or an item that specifically renders one immune agaisnt those.

To support my position: Negative levels have an entry in the PHB-Glossary separate from Energy Drain. This wouldn't be neccessary if they were the same thing.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

To support my position: Negative levels have an entry in the PHB-Glossary separate from Energy Drain. This wouldn't be neccessary if they were the same thing.
    AFAIK, Energy Drain is the ability name. Negative Levels is the status that it inflicts. While negative levels can come from sources other than Energy Drain, the ones I am aware of are voluntary (like Schism).
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Kymme could grant spells to clerics, his domains would be art and awesome. He also made my avatar.

Also, I apparently made some things.
    Feats
    The Savonian Shadowlord

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Go to the largest library in the campaign world and tell him you're researching whether there's some powerful artifact lost to the bowels of time that could accomplish such a feat. If he doesn't take the bait, it means his DM bone is broken and he needs to be put down.

8. - Top - End - #128

Planetar

There are other involuntary sources besides Enervation. Energy Ebb from SpC (undead excluded because of healing clause, constructs not) and souldrinking weapon from BoVD were the ones I found without looking through all available sourcebooks; I'm sure there are others. But as I said, although it is RAW, I haven't heard of any campaign it is used in, I don't even use it myself. Just goes to show that the Emerald Legion is indeed rather strong if I have to bring up something like that

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Would infecting the Emerald Legion with Festering Anger be safe enough to increase their Str score sky-high that way? Is there anything in the rules that makes it not work?

A potential problem for the Legion is their abysmal intelligence. They're dumber than your average squirrel unless a mind-flayer is constantly metaphorically holding their hand. That could lead into all kinds of suboptimal behavior, but on the other hand, the possibility of a Legionnaire intentionally putting on antimagic shackles and returning for revenge is very remote.

10. - Top - End - #130

That's not what I meant. It's more similar to that "Maximized Twinned Magic Missile can be recalled with a 1st level Pearl of Power" exploit:

RAW, Energy Drain is not the same as Negative levels. Immunity to energy drain doesn't automatically bestow immunity to negative levels.

I know it's not commonly used - I didn't realize it till today. It would be perfectly ok to ignore it, but it's RAW and I thought I would share it. To be immune against negative levels, one has to search for an ability or an item that specifically renders one immune agaisnt those.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Energy Drain
    Necromancy
    This spell functions like enervation, except that the creature struck gains 2d4 negative levels, and the negative levels last longer.
    Would this spell count or not? It is called Energy Drain, but it is an evolution of Enervation.

It seems to me that immunity to Energy Drain bestows protection from negative levels by Energy Drain. So, for instance, holding an Unholy Sword if you are good aligned bestows negative levels, but immunity to Energy Drain would not negate those negative levels. I would say that Enervation, Energy Ebb, and Energy Drain all fall into the same area as the Energy Drain ability, and so anything with immunity to Energy Drain would be immune to the effects of those three spells.

EDIT: But, perhaps that is RAI rather than RAW.
    Last edited by Darkxarth; 2010-05-03 at 08:36 AM.
    Working on a campaign world or adventure and need feedback?
    Check out this site.

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Talya
    Anyone casting a ninth level spell should not be just bending the fabric of reality, but chewing up the fabric of reality and spitting it out. It represents an expenditure of raw magical force that should be momentous, and should have similar shock value as the events following Grand Moff Tarkin's "You may fire when ready."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

It's in Complete Champion under affiliations. Look at the highest level membership bonus.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

JZ, just wanted to say kudos to you for developing this. IMC, I've restatted war trolls as giants instead of monstrous humanoids, which simplifies the production process slightly, and the BBEG is cooperating with a mindflayer cabal to breed the legionnaires. At this point, he only has a handful of war trolls and a pair of gheden war trolls as elite guards, and the players have already grown to respect and fear them as adversaries. They're burning divination spells trying to figure out what sort of trollish monstrosity is coming next. The Emerald Legion has definitely added richness, depth, and enjoyment to my campaign. Thanks!
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

13. - Top - End - #133

Lob bag of holding+portable holes at them? Really gotta be fast though

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    The Emerald Legion has definitely added richness, depth, and enjoyment to my campaign. Thanks!
    You're Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    Lob bag of holding+portable holes at them? Really gotta be fast though
    Mindflayer Psionic Support. Planeshift.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

BardGirl

Can't a Pimp Incantatrix with Leadership (for debuffing, someone suggested Pally of Tyranny/Hexblade) just Disintegrate / Chain Disingegrate your army even pre-Epic levels?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

*cowers in terror*

Still, pretty sweet. Realistically, how could these things be stopped?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Long, drawn out way of gaining immunity to spheres:

The trolls that advance per class levels while conquering the planes take cleric levels to gain casting, and then Entropomancer levels to gain the capstone immunity.

Also, I believe they would qualify for Epic feats, with all their animal hit dice. I don't suppose that means we could give them (via PsiReform or DCFS) some new tricks there?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    JZ, just wanted to say kudos to you for developing this. IMC, I've restatted war trolls as giants instead of monstrous humanoids, which simplifies the production process slightly, and the BBEG is cooperating with a mindflayer cabal to breed the legionnaires. At this point, he only has a handful of war trolls and a pair of gheden war trolls as elite guards, and the players have already grown to respect and fear them as adversaries. They're burning divination spells trying to figure out what sort of trollish monstrosity is coming next. The Emerald Legion has definitely added richness, depth, and enjoyment to my campaign. Thanks!
    Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread Necromancy. Don't do that. Do review the Forum Rules.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex