New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

I remember seeing that one. My feeble mind never understood it though.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

So Gremlin, are you ever going to do anything with that character of yours in SDSB?
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of gray View Post
    @Gremlin, the inevitables are going with the natural order of the universe. Here's the standard life, which most people go through:

1) Be born
    2) Live
    3) Die
    4) Please step through the door which corresponds to your alignment
    5) Live in the Plane
    6) Become part of the plane.

Here's what people who become ghosts do:

1) Steps one through Three
    2) Decide "Wait, no!" and stay at the ethereal plane
    3) Wait until something is done (Which they often don't influence)
    4) Move on to the afterlife.

Whereas if the Praeseans were inevitables, they would be going against the natural order of things. They would be represent the inevitability of what?
    maruts exemplify the inevitability of death, other inevitables represent the inevitability and fact of upholding a deal. Praeseans as inevitables don't exemplify anything, assuming that the soul catchers would then be natives who still send people to an afterlife.
    When a soul die's,
    Nameless is supposed to either send them to whatever plain they're supposed to go to, or leave them as ghosts, why they are to remain here as ghosts is not for Nameless to know or care much about.

EDIT: Also, why are we on page 7?

EDIT II: And it's supposed to be dark now. :P
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-01-08 at 09:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    When a soul die's,
    Nameless is supposed to either send them to whatever plain they're supposed to go to, or leave them as ghosts, why they are to remain here as ghosts is not for Nameless to know or care much about.

EDIT: Also, why are we on page 7?

EDIT II: And it's supposed to be dark now. :P
    Objection! Gods might keep them from going on too. Both Sam and Keveak had that problem (Sam swore an oath in Boccobs name and Keveak was held to save Ven (or for fun, Boccob is rather immature in these chases)) and in DnD plus real legends ghosts are often hold back by guilt, oaths or curses.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    So Gremlin, are you ever going to do anything with that character of yours in SDSB?
    Well, given that I'm currently trying to work on my Inkscape art, I probably won't. I'd appreciate it if people NPC'ed him, but otherwise he should just kinda go away for a while.
    If he is NPC'ed, he is basically a rogue. He has a lot of powerful magic items, each of which designed for a specific circumstance. There's some of them that he's never used once.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    So you have finally pierced the mystery. I don't blame you for being curious, but next time you find something about me could you please keep it for yourself ?
    Very well. Just as planned
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Very well. Just as planned
    Told you so.
    Also, I've been a bit confused for a while about something.
    A lot of people were deleting their old images. Nameless did., for one. So, I've never known what really happened in the Citadel that one time. It seems like they got there, then there's some blank stuff or comics cut off, and then everyone's fighting. I all makes zero sense.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-01-08 at 11:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Objection! Gods might keep them from going on too. Both Sam and Keveak had that problem (Sam swore an oath in Boccobs name and Keveak was held to save Ven (or for fun, Boccob is rather immature in these chases)) and in DnD plus real legends ghosts are often hold back by guilt, oaths or curses.
    I know that, I never said why they don't go on, I even said Nameless doesn't care much for why, he simply does it.

Told you so.
    Also, I've been a bit confused for a while about something.
    A lot of people were deleting their old images. Nameless did., for one. So, I've never known what really happened in the Citadel that one time. It seems like they got there, then there's some blank stuff or comics cut off, and then everyone's fighting. I all makes zero sense.
    I did what now?
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-01-08 at 11:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    And I'm 13 (by less than a month), MM is 10, and other people are 11-12. And yet, somehow, we manage to avoid being so obnoxious and immature.
    I still don't believe MM to be 10. He's gonna have to prove it.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

And I'm 13 (by less than a month), MM is 10, and other people are 11-12. And yet, somehow, we manage to avoid being so obnoxious and immature.
    And I'm 16!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

And I'm 16!
    And I'm 14, lives in Copenhagen and my first name start with "M" [/too much information-something]
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-01-08 at 12:23 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Halfling in the Playground

First, sorry for eventual grammar and alike mistakes, but I don't have Mozilla and her spelling checker on this computer. Please Gremlin, don't kill me.

And I'm 16!
    orly? Me too

Oh, and guys, the thread title was supposed to be a joke - you don't have to keep the said percents . And so, could we possibly end random babbling and insulting each other and get back to important matters, like cosmology or FI?

Edit: \/ Words can hurt, Nameless
    Last edited by Kazul; 2009-01-08 at 01:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kazul View Post
    orly? Me too
    YARLY!

... get back to important matters, like cosmology or FI?
    LUL
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-01-08 at 12:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground

I got home from school today and turned the computer on.
    Suddenly it turns itself of with the Tv and all the lights.
    So i've been stuck in a blackout for 4 hours and know i've had to read through all 6 pages that I only skimmed through this morning.

Great day so far.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Welcome to life Chriky, it sucks, then you die.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Preach it sister !
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

17. - Top - End - #197

I was thinking about making a questionnairre with questions like:

Which ABRer do you find most anoying?
    Which ABR character do you find most annoying?
    Who is your favourite ABRer?

And so on.
    What do you think?
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I don't see any good coming from that. None at all. Telling people you find them or their characters annoying scares away the happy. Especially if a single person was to be picked by the majority, then we'd lose an Abrer. Which will also kill the happy.

And then I will have to destroy all of you.

I like the happy..

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Happiness is Mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #200

Kobold

Hmm, I don't see any good coming from that. None at all. Telling people you find them or their characters annoying scares away the happy. Especially if a single person was to be picked by the majority, then we'd lose an Abrer. Which will also kill the happy.

And then I will have to destroy all of you.

I like the happy..
    Or maybe everyone will vote Squark...on the first 2...
    Last edited by Bayar; 2009-01-08 at 02:53 PM.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

tongue Re: ABR Discussion Thread XVII: 40% Spam, 55% Banter, 5% Actually Meaningful Discussi

Then you awakes by mouth-to-mouth and dies later. Then you beats up the devil and take controll of Hell. Then it's heavens time.........,,,.,.,.,.,,,,.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

22. - Top - End - #202

How about I just ask nice questions.

e.g, funniest, most style, overall favourite.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chriky View Post
    How about I just ask nice questions.

e.g, funniest, most style, overall favourite.
    I personally don't like the idea. Excuse the mush, but friends aren't supposed to choose between each other. Even if it's only for fun. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Mush provided by love inc <3
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-01-08 at 03:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chriky View Post
    Which ABRer do you find most anoying?
    Which ABR character do you find most annoying?
    Who is your favourite ABRer?
    The answer to your questions in order:
    Lying,
    Lying,
    Q.

*egotism mode activated*

Here's another question to add to the list: Is the_Q a great man or the greatest man who ever lived?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

As regards the Ethereal Plane discussions, I've always had a fondness for FFX's "Unsent" status. Not for the concept of souls requiring a funeral to move on to the afterlife, but for the sheer grit a person staying back from supposed paradise for something mortal and mundane. Auron proved this could be a powerful and emotive story element, in a time when the word "ghost" made everyone consider white bedsheets momentarily.

So here's a few ideas for the Ethereal Plane:

Traditional misty locations, maybe throw in some film noir elements as colour (Often synonymous with "life") ebbs and flows through the somehow-grim reflections of the material world. Only those with any form of indecision about their afterlife, and some notable monsters, arrive naturally in the Ethereal Plane.

The Ethereal Plane should certainly represent a kind of half-way house between the mortal world and the afterlife, wherever that may be. As such, it serves a purpose for every conventional deity in existence.

We could consider then that the warring elements of each deity's personality, but ultimately that leaves a system that is simply inefficient and rife with flaws. What this "stairway to heaven/escalator to hell" needs is some organisation.

So I'll consider adding organisation in the similar manner to an MMO. That is to say, instance zones.

So naturally this place is going to need locations corresponding to the stages of this half-way house. So we need a place for souls to arrive, wander about making their choices (if any), and a place for them to finally go.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Barge of Souls
    The Barge (Aesthetically a greatship with an infinite number of internal rooms) floats about in the upper limits of the sky and serves as a focus point for all newly dead souls to arrive. In theory you could hang around here forever but the crew of the ship (Nigh-skeletal Maruts, the inevitability of death here is represented by the inevitability of moving on with your afterlife) get more than a little touchy when you don't disembark as the barge arrives at the next instance zone.

When not letting everyone inside depart, the barge sails around the Ethereal Plane gathering souls wherever it goes. Paradoxically, the ship seems able to be everywhere at once, because no new soul to the plane ever reports having to wait more than a few seconds before the ship's shadow looms overhead.

Heavenly Chorus, aka Endsville
    Heavenly Chorus is a massive city in the exact center of the Ethereal Plane, at its center being a massive dock where the Barge of Souls periodically lands at least once an hour (Appearing more frequently in times of particularly high death rates).

Heavenly Chorus was literally founded by gods during an uneasy truce that today is even more uneasy. It is staffed largely by the souls of people who decided either never to leave the plane, people who have yet to decide, and by Inevitables trying to make them all leave.

Though basically unnecessary, the city features everything most mortal cities have, including taverns, hotels, and brothels. It should be noted that sins in Heavenly Chorus still count towards your ultimate sentence, so if you have doubts drowning them in the bosom of a dead prostitute is not a wise move for the virtuous.

End Street
    The prime attraction for Endsville (A name given by some of the more cynical failed-launchers) is End Street, a circular maze of buildings immediately in the vicinity of the dock. Each building is essentially the gateway to a different afterlife, for some this means an application process (Remember those brothels) and for others this means a revolving door. If the decision to leave to the afterlife is made anywhere in the city, the soul is immediately drawn through the appropriate door. Indecision is the only thing that allows a choice of afterlife, and even then there is usually some form of application process to ensure the afterlife is appropriate for the soul.

Working in the streets of the city are various deific servants and infernal mercenaries, all trying to tempt souls closer to their afterlives (Depending on the employing/hiring parties, a specific afterlife).

26. - Top - End - #206

I personally don't like the idea. Excuse the mush, but friends aren't supposed to choose between each other. Even if it's only for fun. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Mush provided by love inc <3
    I see what you mean.

It was just an idea anyway.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207

Shades of Gray (Hammer ninja) was last seen with Jason Doomblade and Kpenguin, trying to find Salmon. KP left them, so right now he is freezing his butt of in Alphantica.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    (snip)
    Hmm. Well, given that this seems to contradict all the work Shades and I have done so far, I'm gonna say no...
    Of course, that's mainly because I just want my idea to flourish.
    Anyways, I'm working on what will hopefully be my last MS Paint drawing.
    But I've been hearing things about this 'Paint.net'. Apparently it's like MS, but better. What do you guys think about it?
    EDIT: Nevermind, I looked into it, and found out that it takes a lot of space. I'll stick with Inkscape.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-01-08 at 07:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Hmm. Well, given that this seems to contradict all the work Shades and I have done so far, I'm gonna say no...
    Of course, that's mainly because I just want my idea to flourish.
    Anyways, I'm working on what will hopefully be my last MS Paint drawing.
    But I've been hearing things about this 'Paint.net'. Apparently it's like MS, but better. What do you guys think about it?
    I would recommend Inkscape. It's free. It's a vector program, so once you draw something you can copy/paste/cut/edit/move/rotate it and such. Never having to re-draw that same pesky sword over and over is a great time.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I would recommend Inkscape. It's free. It's a vector program, so once you draw something you can copy/paste/cut/edit/move/rotate it and such. Never having to re-draw that same pesky sword over and over is a great time.
    Alright, I was just wondering if there might be a program where I wouldn't have to adjust so much. But you're probably right, it'll be best in teh long run.