New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Of What Lies In The Shadows IC

Dalsa flaps back to Gadric Nilcas, watching the streets for ambush and circling back in that event.
    The sand elemental continues to follow passively, taking side glances at the cat, sizing it up.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yann thanks the captain for all his assistance before moving out with the others. Once they are back on the streets, he takes position in front of Taewin, keeping an eye out for any possible threat or trouble.

As soon as they are out of the shop, Maurice visibly relaxes. He gives a bored yawn in the direction of the sand elemental, turns his back on it and struts down the street alongside Yann.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yann is on alert for possible dangers while they are en route, so please do spot & listen checks as appropriate (bonus +6)
    When one has no form, one can be all forms.

Trinità Avatar by Mortugg

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As you venture, Taewin stiffens and brandishes the wand he pulled out of the desk. Suddenly, he is in a duelists stance; balanced on the balls of his feet, head held high and scanning in front of him, and with his arm partially outstretched, leveling the wand.

"They are here. To silence me. They have known."

There is a strange, grim certitude in his voice.

Despite what you feel to be very thorough searching and listening, Lukmar, sensitive to everything from the allycat 10 yards away licking it's fur in the shadows to the sound of the wind hitting the trash cans on the street, you hear and see nothing.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

"Up go, crazy man." Galtiutuma swirls around Taewin, lifting him up off the ground and gently cradling him in his sandy embrace.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

5. - Top - End - #65

PaladinGuy

Taewin refuses to be held. He breaths in suddenly, and whirls around.

You still see and hear nothing, Lukmar.

Taewin pulls out some obsidian flakes from his pocket and clenches them in his fist while muttering some arcane words, and they disappear in a puff. Taewin's skin takes on an onyx-like appearance.

In a low whisper, almost a hiss, and undeniably full of some sort of loathing and hate, he gives you all a warning. "Ready your weapons. Any second now. They will be here. I bet before the count of ten."

At that, he begins counting to ten.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surprised at Taewin’s foreboding confidence and the spell he just cast, Yann stifles a curse. Waving his hands in synchrony while uttering a few words of arcane power, he conjures a protective field of force around himself and Maurice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Mage armour. Do you want initiative Brom? If we still have time for one more action Yann will attempt to cast another spell. Also, does Maurice spot (1d20+8)[12] anything with spirit sight?

7. - Top - End - #67

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    You have time for one more action, and everyone else who hasn't yet posted can gain a single pre-battle action, but yea, roll initiative.

In spirit sight, Maurice clearly sees something that frightens her. She begins hissing and backing towards you, Lukmar.

Four figures appear out of thin air. Each wears a heavy, encompassing black cloak, making their faces inscrutable. Each holds a single blade of a metallic texture, although each is emerald in coloration. Each has one hand extended outside of their robe, and you can see black scaled claws with a single emerald burn on the insides of each. Their claws finger and grope the air as if in yearning.

They have appeared, one on each side of you. Their swords are pointed towards you. The one in front of Taewin speaks in a low, hissing voice.

"Giiive him to usss....and no more shalll be harmmmmed."

It's almost an exhalation rather than a spoken statement, but each of you can hear it clearly.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20+5)[15] BTW: AC is now 21 (17 touch)

Seeing Maurice back away hissing, Yann realises that their foe are already here. Blast it! Where are they?

Wasting no time, Yann jestures again as he recites a different incantation. Just as the spell comes into effect, four figure materialise all around the group.

Brandobaris be merciful! What are these beings?

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast see invisibility: aside from the 4 figures, are there any other invisible or ethereal beings in the vicinity? By now, Maurice has retreated to the same 'square' where Yann is standing
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-12 at 06:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

PaladinGuy

You see no other creatures, Lukmar.

The creature talks in the same exhaling, hissing voice once more.

"Speak, creaturessss...will you surrender and keeep your livesss?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative : (1d20+2)[19]

"By Moradin, what are these thing"

Glist take a step (5 foot step) toward the creature menacing Taewin and ready his hammer.

Spoiler
    Show
    If possible I ready and action to attack the creature if she attack Taewin, if not I just take a 5-foot step. In any case I choose this creature for my dodge bonus to AC. So 23 Ac against it and 22 against the other.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I am waiting for the other guys (mainly Khriss and Gardakan) to post their actions, because what I have in mind is sure to precipitate combat

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Brom, from where we are can we see Lord Nilcas's Tower? If we can, how far away is it? Can you describe the street where we are? Is it deserted, are there people/guards around, etc? Also, can ghost sound be used to produce an intelligible sound such as a message, or is that only ventriloquism?

In an attempt to stall for time, Yann addresses the one creature in front of the group.

"Good... Sir. You put us in a difficult position, for Lord Nilcas also wants this man and charged us with his safety. Tell you what. I'll get in contact with Lord Nilcas, and then the two of you can discuss the matter privately, without the need to involve us. What say you?"

Yann smiles affably, though keeping his body ready to leap in action if needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check in OC thread
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-15 at 06:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    You can see the tower, although it's halfway across the city from where you are. The process of getting to the shop required crossing to the other side of the city. Ghost Sound cannot produce intelligible noises.

The creature hisses in a low exhaling breath. "Thisssss....is unacceptable. Give him to usss....or we will kill you all."

Spoiler
    Show
    It's getting towards the evening hours, but the street is clear compared to when you came here. You can't even hear anyone -- it's like you're in a ghost town (although you can still hear your party members, etc.)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

“Well, I guess you leave us with no alternative then…”

Abruptly dropping the smile and his façade of amiability, Yann draws quick but precise patterns with both hands while reciting an invocation under his breath. As the last syllable rolls off off his tongue, four glowing spheres of light shoot off from his hands into the evening sky. The spheres rise quickly until they are roughly 100 feet above the position of the group, and they begin pulsating with different colours.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast dancing lights: the glowing spheres are 100ft vertically above the group, and spread out in a 10ft radius area . Each sphere pulsates with a different colour (red, blue, green, orange in no particular order). My hope is that the effect is visible from a distance, and that it will draw attention.
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-16 at 06:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

PaladinGuy

The creatures give a chorus of repeated inhalations and exhalations (hissing, of course). You think they might be laughing at you. It ends as abruptly as it started.

""None will come. Now dieeeee."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm waiting for Khriss and Gardakan now. Would you mind PM'ing them, Lukmar?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Done. If they don't reply or post, will you NPC their characters?

Spoiler
    Show
    No answers so far. Also, I will be away from the 26th until the 3rd of March, playing with my RL D&D group, so posting will be a bit sporadic
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-21 at 04:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I will. I need to dig up their sheets, though -.-

17. - Top - End - #77

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Screw it. We've waited a while. Go ahead and precipitate away, guys, Khriss and Gardakan will be at the bottom of the initiative. I need to find the OOC thread so that I have their characters, though...

Taewin is the first to act; he seems like he has been waiting for the creature to say something. "Dying sounds good. You first."

He raises his wand, and a thin green beam springs from it. It touches the creature in front of him, which is promptly disintegrated instantaneously. You see a shadowy form rise from the ashes and fly off, but it's only for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiatives:

Taewin
    Yann
    Glist
    Fell Creatures (1, 2, & 3)
    Khriss
    Gardakan

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The OOC thread. I think you forgot wadledo's druid in the initiative order.

Glad that Taewin took care of one of their assailants, Yann is nonetheless surprised by the efficacy of the attack and he cannot help but think to himself: By Brandobaris! What a wand! I must ask him where you can get one of those around here... Ok concentrate!

Following the wizard's lead, the Halfling recites yet another evocation. As he completes a movement with his hand, three missiles of magical energy dart forth from his fingertips and strike one of the remaining creatures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Force damage rolls (3d4+3)[13], automatic hit (creature 1) unless they have spell resistance. Spell resistance check (if needed): (1d20+6)[13]
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-23 at 02:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, It migth be a little confusing but I will try to be clear, Dom a map migth help a little to situate the various character.

Impressed by Taewin magic, Glist give a rapid look toward the ash before refocusing on the figth. Seeing Yann make the first move Glist follow his lead.

Glist take a step toward the enemy that Yann as target and attack it with two powerful blow from his Hammer.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume I only need a 5 foot step to be in range of the enemy Yann target, I make a full attack.
    Attack roll : Power attack for 1 [roll0] Damage roll : [roll1]
    Power attack for1 [roll2] Damage roll : [roll3]

If Yann spell kill the creature Glist attack the closest one even if he need to move more than 5 feet in that case use only the first attack.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Attack roll : Power attack for 1 (1d20+10)[29] Damage roll : (1d8+6)[13]
    Power attack for1 (1d20+5)[10] Damage roll : (1d8+6)[13]

My roll apparently didn't work I try again

21. - Top - End - #81

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    If someone can tell me how to write up a table, I can do a quick grid to show positions. Might be helpful considering where the combat is headed and with 9 creatures involved.

*sticks Wadledo with Khriss and Gardakan* Duly noted.
    Last edited by Brom; 2009-02-25 at 05:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Brom, I don't know how you can create a grid in these forums. Best thing would be to post a picture with the grid and the combat positions

23. - Top - End - #83

PaladinGuy

{table=head]|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
    A|. | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . |
    B|. | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . |
    C|. | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . |
    D|. | . | . | . | X | . | . | . | . | . |
    E|. | . | F| G | . | T | W | . | F | . |
    F|. | . | . | . | . | Y | . | . | . | . |
    G|. | . | . | . | . | F | K | . | . | . |
    H|. | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . |
    I|. | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . |
    J|. | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . | . |

[/table]

Spoiler
    Show

G = Glist
    F = Fell Creature
    Y = Yann
    T = Taewin
    W = Wadledo
    X = Gardakan
    K = Khriss

I hope I discover a method easier than making a table.

The Fell creature in front of you, Glist, makes several blinding snaps of it's wrist and shifts in it's dark cloak, proving a difficult target indeed. You find none of your attacks strike it directly. It seems, however, temporarily stunned, it's defenses purely instinctive, and it makes no attempt to advance on you.

The Fell Creature facing Khriss charges at him, swinging it's sword as it goes. Khriss has no luck stepping aside from the blow, and you can hear him cry out from the pain of it. The third one rushes straight for Taewin, with no one between him, and attempts to strike him. Although Taewin is not out of the way fast enough, the blade stops at his skin as if it were stone.

Taewin cries out in a rush. "These are not sighted creatures! They see only their prey and see anything directly between them and their prey as gray masses, step aside and strike from behind! Don't stand in their way!"

Khriss, hearing this, steps aside and then point blank releases a magic missile like your own, Yann. The creature seems buffeted but not particularly damaged or in pain. The creature makes no attempts to interfere with his casting.

Marillion murmurs some arcane words, targeting the creature you attacked, Glist. Marillion cries in dismay. "These things are undead of some kind! No mind at all to affect!"
    Last edited by Brom; 2009-03-14 at 02:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Yann’s previous magic missile seem to bother the creature at all? I am posting my actions now, but please put them in the appropriate initiative order. Also, you may want to add letters to that table, so we can call out movement coordiantes

Seeing how Glist’s vicious attacks seem to all fall short of his intended target, Yann decides to cast a spell once again. As he recites the same evocation as before, three more missiles strike the creature facing the dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Force damage roll (3d4+3)[11], automatic hit the creature targeted before which Glist is now fighting, or if dead one of the other creatures still standing

Seeing the bolts of magical energy hit the creature in quick succession, Yann grimaces. That’s the last of my offensive spells… time to take the fight with more mundane weapons.

His spell cast, the Halfling takes a 5 foot step, drawing out his quarterstaff and stepping so as to interpose himself between Taewin and the creature facing Khriss.
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-03-13 at 09:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

PaladinGuy

Taewin, seeing you all surrounding him, tries to step out of your ranks. (Steps to d6)

"Don't stand between these things and their intended prey! If you truly wish to defend me, let my protective spell take the damage and bring them down one by one, and let me keep firing this wand!"

Taewin holds the wand up and at ready.

Yann, your magic missiles seem to stun the creature, and it does seem to be moving slightly more slowly, although that could just be optimistic perception.

Glist; you're up.