Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default The new dawn Rises (4e)

Background in Spoiler Tag
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been 100 years since the last empire receded, until now the shadows have been kept at bay... the old ways holding back the encroaching darkness. But the time of light has finally faded, and evil has crept its way back into the world, a time when steel and will are all that can hold back the encroaching darkness.

Your group was forged in a chance meeting, along one of the many roads that cross the western kingdom you found yourselves chancing upon a messenger, under assault by a Wolf pack, headed by a crazed goblin. Either due to noble intentions, or his promise of gold for his protection you launched yourself against the assailants... finding new allies amongst the fellow Adventurers.

In the safe comfort of the inn he tells you of his message and his plight, he was sent as a messenger, to find able bodied Men to help in the borderlands, the fraying edge of the kingdom, the protection of knights and guards having slipped away as the year's went by. Now Raiders have reached into their fields, their homes... pillaging and cutting down any who oppose them. The militia have blunted any assault to the Village itself, but they are being worn down and cannot leave their homes.

Payment has been secured from the Merchants, willing to pay handsomely to protect their income source (though notably will not not reduce the guarding of Garian to Aid them). The promise of righteous deeds or gold has spurned you to aid them, traveling to the edges of The old empire.

Now you find yourselves at the edge of the Small village Of Evermill, most of the buildings Thatch roofed cottages, though in the centre of town a few taller buildings rise up. Small plumes of smoke rise, carried off by a Gentle wind that blows through the farmlands. The morning sun frames your arrival, casting your shadows long before you. The picture would be perfect, if not for the Distant cottages, dark and abandoned as residents flee to the safety of the town, spear armed farmers and young lads looking out from the main roadway. The messenger said to look for Gaius, the leader of the militia, and current “Mayor” due to the crisis, perhaps one of the Militia standing guard could guide you to him.
    Last edited by Stormgale; 2009-01-09 at 08:48 AM.
    My players are making me understand why game designers put red blinking lights on Weak spots

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The new dawn Rises (4e)

Nathan Baker:

Well, I didn't plan to get involved in any of this, but hey, gold is gold, Nathan thinks to himself, looking over the village with these new comrades, these armed strangers, these unknowns. And Aldr, his, well, not apprentice, he's got too much talent on his own for that. Maybe intern is the right term, since he needs world experience.

Not knowing the mood of the villagers, beyond scared of course, Nathan doesn't think he'll do anything extravagant right away, and he definitely knows not to lead. Leader is just another name for pincushion, after all. The young human slumped a little, making himself seem smaller and less powerful, as he turns to the people around him and says "It looks like we need to find Gaius, but I'm not sure how we can do that. Maybe some of you gentlemen have some ideas?"
    The Silverclawshift Campaign Journals Two FANTASTIC campaigns detailed here. An absolute must read.

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Aldr

Aldr looks around at the small village. Disappointed with the apparent lack of anything new to learn he wants to move on. But he had to help, there was trouble

Looking around taking in details of the village "Ask around...I'm sure the villagers know where he is." He looks up at Nathan, his...mentor of sorts. He owed him a lot for letting him come with him.
    Last edited by Dublock; 2009-01-09 at 04:54 PM.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

4. - Top - End - #4

Carric

So this how human settlements look like?.. - Carric whispers to himself with a slightly disappointed look on his face, before noticing that others were talking.

Find Gaius, you say? Since he is supposed to be head of local militia, those nice men with spears out there should be able to send us where he is... assuming we can convince them that we mean no harm. - he suggests with a small smile.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

William

These people indeed need help. They must have a strong fighting spirit, or a strong survival instinct; I doubt those men truely know how to use those spears effectively, William thinks to himself
    Being a man of action William says to his party members,

"Well let's start trying to find this 'Gaius' guy."

He then boldly aproaches one of the makeshift militia nearest him to declare,

"Where may we find Gaius so that we may know how we can help?"
    Last edited by Schmacky; 2009-01-14 at 04:44 PM.
    "Now we must duel, like two gleaming banjos on a moonlit stoop!" -Dementio.

6. - Top - End - #6

Tuck

Avandra has guided us to this place. It really is the least we could offer to help them in this time of need. I am sure they will understand that we were sent to aid them, not to cause them more grief.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The first guard is a short pot bellied farmer, eyes dulled with years of simple labor.... you gather he isn't the sharpest blade in the armory The other is a tall gentleman, his strong form most likely that of a blacksmith.

The shorter of the fellows is startled by your approach, obviously half asleep, his companion eying you warily "Middle of town, the jail" he said simply "You must be here about our problem" he said simply, eying you over with a careful gaze.
    Last edited by Stormgale; 2009-01-10 at 07:31 AM.
    My players are making me understand why game designers put red blinking lights on Weak spots

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

William

"Thank you very much for your help," William tells the gaurds with a slight bow. Well now, let's see this leader of theirs, he thinks. "So shall we continue on to Gaius?"
    Last edited by Schmacky; 2009-01-14 at 04:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nathan Baker:

Glad that the fighter, judging by the longsword he's wielding, has decided to take the lead, Nathan says "Of course, oh leader, that sounds like a great idea. Please, lead the way."

Moving over next to Aldr, Nathan starts speaking in low tones, giving him some advice:

Here is some real world advice for you, aptly demonstrated by this situation. We have knowledge that is very valuable. *he makes a piece of parchment appear in his open hand, and then that parchment seems to fold itself into a delicate bird shape* We can use our knowledge to make the world a better place, but, if we place ourselves in dangerous situations for no good reason... *he snaps his hand into a fist, seemingly destroying the image of the parchment bird in the process* That knowledge could be lost.

He then shrugs his shoulders, and finishes with "I'm not suggesting we don't act, I'm just suggesting that you and I, more than most, need to be careful what we do. Leadership is a dangerous position, and if that position is better filled by someone who might survive it, all the better for us."
    The Silverclawshift Campaign Journals Two FANTASTIC campaigns detailed here. An absolute must read.

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateCaptain

Aldr:

Aldr looks up at Nathan, then his eyes went down to his hand with the parchment of paper, looking at it with some amazement.

When Nathan is done talking, Aldr looks around the village, looking at their group and the soldiers. He speaks in a low whisper back ""So, leadership in itself can be a foolish thing for us to partake in. Its best if we stand back and help out when we can."

Aldr looks down for a moment, thinking "Yes, knowledge must not be lost."
    Boo!

11. - Top - End - #11

Carric

- If you really want to preserve your knowledge, you should pass it on others - sooner or later you will die, and the more people share your knowledge, the more chances it'll survive. - the elf commented passing two wizards then stopped for a second

- So, are you two done? If so lets go find that jail.
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nathan Baker:

Nathan looks up at the Elf as he finishes speaking his opinion, then replies. "Yes, we can go on to the jail now. I was merely passing on some of the knowledge I've gained in my life, just as you're suggesting."

Turning back to Aldr, he finishes that conversation with the comment "Agreed, and we will speak more on this later. But first, we have a captain of the guard to find." He then follows William further into town.

13. - Top - End - #13

PirateCaptain

Aldr

He looks around some as Nathan and Carric have their exchange. When Nathan talks to him, he immediately looks up at him and nods. "Yea..we need to help him. Hope everything will be ok..." His voice trails off as he wonders and as a result stops while he thinks.

"I wonder what he needs us to do." Then all of a sudden he realizes that he had stopped moving to think, "OH!

He takes his spot at the side of Nathan.
    Boo!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Villagers peer out from the shadows of homestead's noting your approach with apprehension. Eventually you reach one of the taller building's of the small village, thick oak covering the door, the windows barred with fine Iron. This appears to be the jail, your soon to be employer must reside within.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

William

I wonder what the hesitation was, and what my comrades were talking about, William thinks to himself, Oh well, we have other matters at hand.
    "I suppose we just knock and wait for an answer," William declares as he lifts one of his heavily callused and worn hands to the door.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nathan:

Seeing William already knocking on the door, Nathan looks around at the overcrowded village that surrounds them. Seeing the state of things, he remarks "Why are the bandits raiding this town? Evermill doesn't look particularly valuable... Either they can't go to better feeding grounds, their leader, whoever that might be, has a grudge against this place, or they stay here out of fear of something worse. Or, more likely for bandits, they want the easy target." He looks towards Aldr as he finishes, "Remember Aldr, bandits are cowards, always striking where they feel they can win with the least amount of danger to themselves, even if that gets them a lesser prize."

17. - Top - End - #17

Tuck

Overhearing Nathan's comments: Avandra guided us here for a reason. I believe you might be correct about this having been an easy target and that being the reason for the bandits staying here, and so I believe we were guided here to help protect this place and stop the bandits from hurting anyone any more

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Come in" a gruff voice yells, as you open the door you see him sitting at a table... hair graying from years of service but still clad in armor, you can see the warrior he once was as he looks at you with a calculating gaze "You must be here about our problem" he stated as he say back.. patiently waiting.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

William

Well, here is someone with some combat experience. Maybe he is how the militia has held out against the regular attacks.
    "Greetings, Sir. We have heard about your trouble with raiders, and we are here to help. I don't know about the others, but I'm handy with a sword; I'm sure I can help your fighting men," Wiliam declares, though not wanting to be too commanding to a commander, he adds, "Just tell me where you need me; I'm here to help, so I'm willing to take orders for now."
    Last edited by Schmacky; 2009-01-14 at 04:54 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Carric

- We will help William... - elf corrected the warrior with a slight laugh - We might not know each other too well, but I don't think we all came here together just to watch you offer help alone.

As for me, the name is Carric. I think I might be of some help, both with my bow, and perhaps also in tracking down those Raiders. - he continued turning to the militia leader.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"If you wish to help us then you will need to do more than that" he stated, eyes locking with William's, measuring the warrior. His voice quiet, seeming howere to cut through the air like a fine blade "Your on the right track sir Elf, Come, sit down and we can discuss matters" giving the elven bowman the same treatment, seemingly satisfied a dry smile painted his lips "And please close the door, these old bones don't like the draft"
    Last edited by Stormgale; 2009-01-14 at 06:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Gesturing the others through the door, Nathan closes it behind them, seeing no reason to antagonize the aging warrior already.

Leaning back against the wall, Nathan says to Gaius "I'm Nathan, sir, and I'm curious to know all you can tell us about these bandits, and why they've been harassing you and your village."

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Aldr

Aldr looks at Gaius and makes sure he has proper posture. When Nathan says he wants to help, Aldr nods.

Aldr figures this is not the moment for him to speak, however his mind wildly wondered what they will do. Combat? Or will it be diplomacy? Or is it something completely different?
    Boo!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

William

William takes a seat and listens for these questions to get answered. He is eager to act but realizes they need information to act on so he waits quietly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Lord If I know why they're here" he looked at the latest speaker's "All I know is those Damn Kobold's have been unrelenting" he sat back "We can hold the town for a few more days... a week at most" he stated "IF you willing, we need you to find these bastards... and cut their leadership to shreds" he sat back "So what are your requests for payment?" he asked, looking nathan square in the eye, directing his question to the wizard

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nathan tries to hide his surprise at being singled out like this, and he gathers himself to respond calmly.

"Payment is merely an after thought, a way to pay for our survival. We realize the kind of conditions your village has had to survive during these attacks, how they've taxed your resources. The Merchants guild has said they will reward us for helping out your village, but all reasonable amounts of help, including information and funds, you and your men give us, will only help us take care of the problem quicker.

But you said Kobolds are the problem here? I was discussing earlier with my friend,"
    he says, gesturing at Aldr, "the various issues with bandits, but Kobolds are another kettle entirely."

27. - Top - End - #27

Tuck

Hearing Nathan's response to the Gaius, Tuck can't help but smile to himself. Indeed, Reward is not a requirement. Helping you in this time of strife is reward enough. I can't speak for everybody here, but speaking for myself all I can ask for is recompense for what we actually use - food, shelter, and so on - and not reward.

As for helping out, any and all the information that you have on these kobolds would be greatly appreciated. Knowing what we face is half the battle, so to speak. Hopefully all the battle if handled properly.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

He seemed genuinely surprised at Nathan for a moment "We know they are coming from the west" he stated, gesturing to an ancient map "Lady Lira say's that it's impossible, that Pelor's Light Should have kept them back" he chuckled at the thought "All I know is that the only guaranteed way to stop the attacks is to fight back" he added "Though I am sure she can voice her opinions, if you care to hear them, most of the old records are in the chapel anyway"

He stood up, a slow but firm movement "They seem to be more interested in goods than Killing" he added "The merchants are in a fit, a few of their Caravans were waylaid nearby here, they lost a lot of gold apparently" he gave another smile, clapping his hands together "If you want to know more, feel free to ask around... no one knows the land quite like those who live of it they say"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

William

"Thank you for your help, sir." William says as he ponders the situation, Hmm, it seems we need more information yet. Realizing his limitations at research and tracking, William stands and turns to his companions saying, "So what do we do from here gang? Carric, do you think you could track them, or should we ask around town about them first?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Carric

- To track them down I'd have to have some start, to be in a place they attacked. And even then all depends on how much time passed, and how much they covered their tracks - I think it'll be best ask around first, perhaps we'll hear something usefull.