New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Tempting Fate

Kohan sighs, holding his head in his hands.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You must always prepare for the worst, m'lord. He leans back. But anyway. It's not important now. Do you have any instructions for me, or may I be dismissed, m'lord?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

"No no, it is quite all right. You may leave. We are going on a long journey tomorrow."

Verlyn smiles at Kohan. Always worried. But then again, that is part why he is such a valued servant of House Stillwater.

He gives Kohan a short nod and retreats towards his own quarters, going to bed soon.

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Night wears on, tired drunks wander home to their angry wives, and the moons float across the sky.
    The sun rises, painting the town with yellow light, clearer as it rises above the sea.
    The docks are busy with teamsters and sailors, might ships and small fishing sloops.
    The harbourmaster's office sits facing the wooden docks and the ships at anchor, a two-storied building painted a now dull blue and streaked white with the excrement of seagulls.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Finishing off a greasy breakfast as he goes, Jackel licks his fingers and watches the dock, critically. It all looked a little too much like real work. He'd come early, because frankly the bed he'd rented was itchy as hell, and Jackel always kept a clear head the night before a job.
    "Yes, your Lordship," he mutters to himself, "Right away, your lordship. Shut up and drown, your Lordship." He spits in the street and leans against a post, arms crossed.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion opened an eye and groaned, blinking in the morning sun. She shoved Frankel out of the blanket to wake him.

Get up, get up. It's you kept me up all night, wanting one more time. Now you've got to help me get my armour on. I gotta go.

She stumbled to her feet and dragged a hand through her short hair. The room smelled of sweat, and spilled beer and food that wasn't quite food anymore. A fair bit of the smell was coming from the bodies of the three young people sleeping in an awkward lump on the other side of the room. She hoped that not too much of it was coming from her.

As Frankel rose shakily to his feet, Dion held his head to kiss him again as he lifted the first of the many pieces of her plate armour.

Remember, you're in charge again. Seek out others like us, and be strong in your faith of a better world after the fire. Never trust the Man. Don't settle into any one place, and get the hell out if you're feeling heat on you. Right?

Stroking the boy's long greasy-but-still-somehow-lovely hair, she let him finish the task of armouring her up as she mentally prepared a few additional thoughts for the New Scriptures.

How does this sound? "In the new world, beer will be cheaper if you bring the seller back the empty keg." Okay, lacks grandeur. But it's a good idea, right?

With a final kiss, she is off into the morning light. Abruptly, she grows six inches, her hair lengthens and smooths out, and the armour slims up, taking on the beautiful red and black markings she'd used last night.

Using another of Verlyn's coins to buy a small loaf of bread from a vendor in the plaza, Dion made her way to the docks.

Harbourmaster...harbourmaster...where's the...

Catching sight of Jackel, Dion nods, and approaches, smiling.

Good morning. Be an even better morning if the tide was rolling out at noon.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel sniffs the air, then laughs.
    "Someone had fun last night. So, yeah, Guess it's a good morning. Heh."
    Abruptly, his mirth seems expended, and the Mokai man brushes his nose again, glowering at the docks.
    "Goddamn nobles. You're a priestess, ain't ya? You use magic?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

(This got a bit longer then expected, so I#ll spoiler it to save space.)

Spoiler
    Show

Verlyn went to bed early and also wakes up just after sunrise. He doesn't get up immediately though, but rather enjoys the sensation of his soft bed just a while longer. Well, not as soft as his bed back in Stillwater manor, but the best the inn had to offer.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Never settle for second best.' he said when they were looking for a place to stay 'My Lord,' Kohan had replied 'there are some more things to consider then to.. ah.. 'keeping appearances'. We only have so much gold to go around and may need to spend some on unexpected obstacles that may arise. Trust me to find comfortable yet affordable acoomodations.'

Eventually he stretches profousely and climbs out of his bed, heading for the window and opening it. The chill morning air rushes in, bringing in smells of the sea but also of the city. Even though he is bare-chested, Verlyn does not seem to notice the chill.

He stays a minute or so, trying to get a glimpse of the rising sun. But too many buildings are blocking the view and so he turns around and heads for the washing cabinet with a slight frown.

Verlyn pours some water into the bowl and unfolds the cloth that holds the scented soap bar. Taking his time, he splashes himself with some water and uses the soap to wash away the scent of the night. He dries himself, stows away the soap and, after another round of stretching, goes about his morning training routine.

Some simple gymnastics and sit-ups to work the kinks out of his muscles. While he trains, he notices a fly buzzing around in his room. Actually, there are 3 or so, but he sets his sights on this one with a sort of cruel smile.

Verlyn gets up and fetches his weapon belt, donning it. Then he assumes his ready stance, the one he was taught by his intructors at the academy in Ralm.

He does not focus on the fly, instead he reminds himself of the teachings of his instructor and focusses on the right place and time.

The fly buzzes around the room, as flies are wont to do.

Verlyn remains motionless, hands lightly on the handles of his twin kukris.

Then the fly enters a specific area of airspace and Verly jumps into action. With one fluid move he draws his twin blades and cuts the air in front of him into ribbons.

The fly buzzes on undisturbed.

With a small sigh, Verlyn sheathes his weapons again and resumes his focus.

Another fly comes close, but he ignores it.

Eventually, his chosen prey approaches again. Closer... cloooooseeeeer...

The fly re-enters the no-fly zone and again the kukris slash the air in the blink of an eye, but this time it is her undoing as the stricken fly spirals down to the ground, a wing cut off.

Verlyn crouches to examine his handiwork. To his dismay, he finds the fly still alive, if crippled. Slightly dissatisfied with his performance, he straightens himself up again and dispatches the moribund insect with a swift stomp.

"Seems like I'm getting out of training. It's about time I get to do something again..." he mumbles to himself as he goes on to dress himself.

Finally, Verlyn pulls out the magic hand mirror, the one his sister gave him as a gift. Looking over his messed up hair critically, he intones the magic command phrase and the magic of the mirror does its work of smoothing down unruly locks of hair, removing grease and even ironing out wrinkles in his clothes.

Thus satisfied, Verlyn packs up his things and leaves his room to fetch Kohan.

He approaches the door to Kohan's room, facing a small conundrum. It really ought to be the servant coming to fetch his master, but Kohan is probaly up and ready already, just buisy doing ... whatever it is he's doing.

Quickly looking around to make sure he is unobserved (and feeling slightly silly), he knocks on the door. "Kohan? Come on, I'm ready to move out."

The door is opened and a slightly surprised Kohan peers out.
    "You are up already?"

"Yes. I may like to sleep in as much as the next noble but we are going on a journey. I don't want to miss it. Come on, let's have breakfast and do go pay the innkeeper. We still need to have our horses brought aboard the ship. Uh.. which ship was it again...?"

"That would be the Blue Gull, captain Rek og Mar, a Mokai."

####

And so Verlyn and Kohan have breakfast and then go for the harbour to meet up with the rest of the party and board their ship.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2009-01-17 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo hunting

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Skenardo View Post
    "Goddamn nobles. You're a priestess, ain't ya? You use magic?"
    Dion pauses before responding.

Sometimes, Calamesh speaks through me. Sometimes, his voice is pretty loud. Calamesh is pretty good at taking things apart, and putting things back together. Make sense?

How about you, Jackel? You said that you're a warrior, but...any hidden talents I should know about?

She glances up the street, noting the approach of Verlyn and Kohan.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Runa had drunk plenty of water the previous night to ensure an early wake-up, and after a simple breakfast of bread and cheese in the quiet little inn, she politely paid her bill and left.

En route to the harbormaster's, she took the opportunity to disguise herself as an old woman beggar, toothless and mute. She settled in not far from the meet, and and remained there, grinning and nodding her thanks at anyone who threw her a copper.

Meanwhile, she waited for the others to arrive, and once they did, she listened intently to what they had to say, never breaking her cover for a moment, and not really looking their way.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reyhan

Rolling out of bed, Reyhan stumbles over to the window in his modest room. Throwing the shutters wide the man yawns and stretches, tendons popping as arms reach impossibly wide as his jaw drops, tongue lolling out like a predatory cat. Smacking his lips, the half-Shavaran plants his hands on his hips as he looks over the city waking up to a bustle. Alright he crooks an eyebrow, Time to go to work.

Turning his back on the open window Reyhan, clad only in a breechcloth, picks through his scattered clothes. Lets keep it simple, today. Picking up a reasonably clean undershirt he throws it on, following it with a light chainshirt. Pulling a corner of a tunic, he flaps a few waves through it before ducking into it. Stepping before the simple chest of drawers he looks at his reflection in the small mirror he had propped atop it. Crinkling his eyebrows at his clothes he tugs on the collar a few times, sending ripples through the materiel, causing the cut and color to change until he is standing in a more utilitarian garb a light tan shade. Reaching over to pick up his turban from next to the mirror he steps back once more, trying the slightly shifting material in a variety of wraps before undoing it altogether and slinging it across his shoulders.

Looking around, Reyhan quickly collects his items, pocketing each item in one of the many pockets his new new tunic affords. With a quick last glance around he shuffles down the stairs, slapping a pair of silver on the counter and dipping his head to the innkeeper.

Twisting his way through the streets, the Shavaran is able to take a reasonably direct course, despite the crooking streets, thanks to the time he'd invested in understanding the city's layout.

Snatching a pair of small oranges and a dry biscuit on his way, he arrives munching on the last of the bread and licking the sticky sweetness from his fingers. Smiling, he approaches his new companions, though does not immediately join the conversation, instead turning wide, slow circles to take in his surroundings.
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2009-01-17 at 04:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

The docks smell of the sea, with a whiff of excrement. The unwashed sailors who wonder past, and the labourers carrying boxes, smell of stale sweat.
    A couple of women stand at the front of an alley in low-cut dresses. Evidently whores are open twenty-four hours a day.
    An old woman sits against the wall, holding out her begging bowl and grinning like a loon, evidently senile.
    A group of kids run along the street, laughing and wooping.
    Several Davethran guards lean against a wall, watching the docks, and chatting.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    While the conversation is still private, Jackel laughs.
    "Oh yeah, sure. I got talents. I can kill a man just by looking at him, like an Aelf. I can also turn vinegar to wine, and fart lightning."
    He spreads his hands and smirks.
    "Sometimes what you see is what you get, and if what you see ain't enough for you, then you're the most particular woman in the world.."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn approaches the harbour a bit early, leading his horse by the reigns. While he does take in his surroundings (more on a subconscious level then by making an effort), he tries to ignore the more unpleasant facets.

He is about to walk past the old beggar woman with but a glance, when he remembers his father's words.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Remember, you are a noble. That is both privilege and obligation. Remember to be kind and just to those depending on you. And do not forget to have mercy on those less fortunate then you."

Feeling an ever so slight pang of guilt, Verlyn reaches into his coin purse and produces a silver coin, which he drops into the woman's bowl with a smile.

"Of course it had to be silver, copper just isn't good enough, is it." Kohan remarks with a frown.

"Oh be quiet, that is my own money I am giving away. And why should I not," Verlyn goes on as he continues his way towards the harbourmaster's office, "a silver piece is but a pittance for me, for that poor woman it may as well be as much as she might ever make on a day."

"*sigh* Yes you are rich. But you don't have to rub it in. People resent that. Especially the poor."

Verlyn frowns at that. That doesn't make sense. They should be glad that he shows them pity and shares some of his wealth with them. They should be grateful.

Shaking the hought from his mind, Verlyn looks around, consciously this time, to see if he can spot anything interesting to distract him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe he can spot some of the others lurking around? Except Runa of course.

Spot: (1d20+6)[25]

Lycar

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Skenardo View Post
    "Sometimes what you see is what you get, and if what you see ain't enough for you, then you're the most particular woman in the world.."
    Dion smiles and takes a step closer to Jackel.

Who says it isn't enough? Although you've really got to watch it. Raising my expectations so high. You sure you can deliver?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel smiles at Dion, his teeth a pearly off-white gleam against his dark skin.
    "Well, now. It's just like I told his Pain-in-the-Highness... No one's ever called me inadequate."
    He glances for a moment past Dion's shoulder and grimaces.
    "Damn, he's here already."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking around, Verlyn sees Reyhan fairly near Dion and Jackel, though he is looking about himself rather than talking to them. Verlyn sees the sailors and labourers go about their business, but there is nothing above the ordinary.
    He cannot see any sign of Runa.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Tapping Jackel's chest once, Dion shrugs.

Well. It's a long voyage. We've got to find some way to pass the time.

She follows Jackel's glance back to Reyhan and Verlyn. With a sprightlier motion than she really feels, Dion heads over to them.

Morning, Reyhan. My Lord. So, which tub is ours, boss? I'd like to stow this away, maybe get out of my armour for the trip...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel scratches his curly black beard again and watches Dion as she walks towards the others.
    Somethin's wrong here. I can smell the funk on her, but she's still clawing at my loins? I'm good, but am I THAT good?
    He snorts and laughs to himself.
    Yeah, probably.
    He follows behind after a bit, projecting self-confidence like royal robes.
    " Mornin' Lordship. You ready to go?" He spits off to one side, and then smiles a wide, pumpkin grin.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn nods at Dion and Jackel as they approach.

"Good morning. I hope you rested well. Unfortunately, we are still short two members of our little party. So no, we are not quite ready to go just yet."

Verlyn seems to be peering at something past the two for a moment.
    Now that one can see him in full daylight, the early impressions are confimed. He is indeed a tall man, almost 6 1/2 feet, with a broad chest. Now you can also see that he is in fact wearing two short blades at either side of his hips.

Also, his clothes really do look quite expensive.

His horse is pretty unremarkable though, carrying a riding sattle and saddlebags. An unstrung composite longbow is attached to the saddlebags, the kind a davethran Oathsworn would use and of high quality. There is also a quiver full of arrows.

"Dion, do you have any idea why your companion would keep lurking around back there instead of just joining us?"

Lycar

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion shrugs with a clank.

He's a voyeur? He's not a morning person? I get the impression that Reyhan's got enough weirdness going in his life to fill a couple of night's stories, and he kind of cultivates an air that suggests even more.

She pauses, as a memory plays out in her mind. It doesn't seem to be a happy one.

But, My Lord, if you like you could probably send ol' Kohan over there to ask him yourself. Meantime, what ship? Carrying around everything I own is only fun when it's a choice.

She points to her backpack which, despite her protestations, doesn't look any more full than it did last night.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-01-18 at 03:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

"I don't like. And whatever his reasons, he better hurries not to be the last one to show up." Verlyn answers, scowling.

"That way, he is not making friends. But either way, we are still waiting for Miss Redgrave. Oh and don't be too surprised if she seems to appear out of thin air. Or, on second thought, do. She likes that."

He crosses his arms in front of his chest and starts pacing around, keeping an eye out for Runa.

"Oh that reminds me, as you can see, I have a horse. Are any of you going to get one for yourself?"

Lycar

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion sighs and rubs her forehead.

Yes. Nothing I like better than riding my horsey around the deck of a ship at sail. And you can like or not like Reyhan, for all I care, My Lord. I'm not his mother.

For the love of coffee! Do you really not even know the name of the ship you've hired? Are you reliant on Kohan for everything, My Lord?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-01-18 at 05:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reyhan

Taking in the scene, Reyhan looks off to sea, inhaling the salty air in impossibly deep breaths. Exhaling slowly, the man follows the air as it leaves his body, attuning himself to the percussive beat of his chest and the flow of his lungs. A few more meditative moments and he turns to join the others.

Sloppy grin painted across his features, the man looks relaxed, happy even. He also appears strikingly unprepared, though the hilt of a large, curving sword reaches out from its place strapped to his back. On the pommel a bright stone is set, similar in shade to Verlyn's, though clearly of a different make. In the bright morning light, one can make out his eyes are a bit more cat-shaped than they appeared last night, though the deep purple hue remains. Hair unbound today, flaps and waves with the incoming sea breeze. Or does it? Upon close inspection, the coal black mane seems to whip against the incoming wind, standing its full four inches on end at times for no apparent reason.

Sidling up, the man smiles even more fully. "Ready to go?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel makes a face.
    "Sorry, yer honor. I'm a simple swordsman; I ain't got no horse. I c'n get one with that advance you gave me, but that's... gonna take time." He observes the approaching Reyhan, and his eyes narrow as he looks the half-Shavaran up and down.
    "You use magic too, don't you? Everyone else on this trip a magician? Is that how it is?"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Kohan coughs awkwardly. Uh, anyway. The ship we are going to take is called the Blue Gull. We'll find it once Mrs Redgrave arrives, which should hopefully be soon. And I, he says firmly, do not use magic. It is not my place to do so.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel strokes his chin, gazing hard at Kohan.
    "Yeah? Well okay, then."
    He sniffs.
    "Redgrave? That Kumari? Huh. Guess we can't leave with 'is lady, huh?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

The old beggar woman nodded and smiled her mute toothless grin as Verlyn deposited a silver piece in her bowl and continued to sit quietly while the others met, though you could swear she glared directly at the tall catlike lord immediately following an offhanded remark about Runa appearing out of nowhere.

As Kohan spoke, the old woman's face twisted in anger and she rose and walked directly over towards him, poking him in the chest with a grubby index finger. Oddly, Runa's sultry voice emanated from the toothless mouth.

"It's not your place to offer your opinions unbidden either, is it Kohan? Or do you have anything else to say about whose place it is and isn't to do magick?"

She turned towards Verlyn and flipped him back his silver piece, her stern tone continued as she spoke.

"I see discipline has been a bit lax in the Stillwater estate, lord... I would approve, but for this one's tongue. And, while I'm ranting, thanks for ruining my entrance. I was going to impress you all by appearing in cloud of smoke or something, now I have to settle for the too tired 'old beggar woman' routine."

The old woman pouted for a moment then flicked her hand with a mutter, sending a poof of smoke about her with a "poof" sound. When it cleared, Runa was once more in her regular form, though her clothes today were more form-fitting and practical for a warm day and traveling. She had on black pants, burgundy knee-high lace-up boots with a slight heel, her sword-belt and rapier, and a red velvet corset over a flowing white linen shirt. Around her neck was a lovely black choker with a series of red pearls hanging from it, and her shirt was open down to the corset, revealing her full and shapely bosom. Her pale skin and blonde hair shone in the sunlight.

"Well well, enough foreplay, let's find that ship."

She turned and gave Jackal a stern look.

"And I am NOBODY's 'lady'."

Spoiler
    Show
    casting prestidigitation for the smoke and "poof", and "disguise self" to hide the wand up her sleeve and mithral chain shirt under the linen.
    Last edited by knewsom; 2009-01-18 at 09:02 PM.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel wrinkles his nose, as if smelling something foul, and for just a moment his face is twisted into a dark, savage expression. Just as quickly, it retreats behind an easy smile.
    "Wooo...Good disguise there. Didn't recognize you. Guess everyone's got neat tricks up their sleeves. Mmhm."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Kohan looks very awkward, coughing to hide his embaressment. Uh, yes, we should be getting on to the ship, m'lord Verlyn.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion is clearly startled by the old woman's transformation, and almost instinctively raises a hand to point at her. But nothing more happens. She relaxes as the others speak.

Right, the Blue Gull. I think I saw that name over here.

She heads off towards one of the piers.