New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Tempting Fate

(For Dion)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cook is a plump Mokai with pockmarks on his cheek. He's assisted by a surly pair of mokai teenagers, a boy and a girl. He seems a bit confused by Dion's words at first, but then nods in comprehension. Yeah, woman, he says in a strong accent. I know. You mean what Malsharak punishes men sometimes with for being with Davethran women? Rashes and poxes. I know. I tell men to come see you, you make it better, maybe? He grins. Is good. Very good. I thank you, you have much business I think.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

As they crossed into the open ocean, Runa delicately (because of the motion) made her way forward and joined Jackel in the prow. She regarded him long and hard, her cold blue eyes fixed upon his black irises for what seemed like an eternity before she spoke, deadly serious, but soft to avoid others hearing.

"That face you made before, when I said I was a Wizard. You didn't like that. It seems you don't like magick. Frankly, I don't give a damn what you like or don't like, or why... But I do need to know one thing, Jackel Betruger. ...are we going to have a problem?"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_G View Post
    (For Dion)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cook is a plump Mokai with pockmarks on his cheek. He's assisted by a surly pair of mokai teenagers, a boy and a girl. He seems a bit confused by Dion's words at first, but then nods in comprehension. Yeah, woman, he says in a strong accent. I know. You mean what Malsharak punishes men sometimes with for being with Davethran women? Rashes and poxes. I know. I tell men to come see you, you make it better, maybe? He grins. Is good. Very good. I thank you, you have much business I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dion smiles.

"It's funny. In Davethra, they blame the Shavaran women. In Shavar, the Shi Lun. All I know is that, Malsharak may send this punishment, but it'll be Calamesh taking it away."

She pauses, maintaining eye contact with the cook. If there was going to be a problem with bringing a storm-priestess onto a ship, might as well get it over with while there was still some chance of her swimming to shore.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Quote Originally Posted by knewsom View Post
    As they crossed into the open ocean, Runa delicately (because of the motion) made her way forward and joined Jackel in the prow. She regarded him long and hard, her cold blue eyes fixed upon his black irises for what seemed like an eternity before she spoke, deadly serious, but soft to avoid others hearing.

"That face you made before, when I said I was a Wizard. You didn't like that. It seems you don't like magick. Frankly, I don't give a damn what you like or don't like, or why... But I do need to know one thing, Jackel Betruger. ...are we going to have a problem?"
    Jackel squints at Runa for a long moment, Then he closes his eyes and chuckles.
    "You're cute when you're trying to be scary."
    For a moment, it seems like that might be it, but then he continues, his voice a little quieter.
    "There's lots of people whose goddamn throat I'd like to tear out with my teeth. I've killed men an' women alike, laughing the whole time. When we got a problem, you'll know we got a problem. 'An that's a promise."
    Abruptly, a smile reappears on his dark face.
    "But you? Hell, I like you already. We're gonna be great friends, right? 'Course we are. By the way, how the hell can you be outside and be pale like that? Sun should be crisping you like fried potato every time you step outside the goddamn library, right?""
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

For a moment, it seemed Runa's solid gaze wouldn't break, but then, every so slightly, the left side of her lips curled, and her right eyebrow raised.

"Oh Jackel, we've only just met, so I shouldn't expect you to know when I'm trying to be 'scary'. I'm sure you'll find out eventually, but most of the time, I've found that 'cute' will get you further in life, as disgusting as that is."

She winked and then looked out to the horizon, smiling in the breeze.

"As for my skin... I'm a Kumari. We're all like this. And yes, if I spend too much time in the sun, I get burned, but it takes awhile. Atara nut oil helps. What's with your scars? Some tribal ritual or something?"
    Last edited by knewsom; 2009-01-22 at 06:22 AM.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel
    Quote Originally Posted by knewsom View Post
    For a moment, it seemed Runa's solid gaze wouldn't break, but then, every so slightly, the left side of her lips curled, and her right eyebrow raised.

"Oh Jackel, we've only just met, so I shouldn't expect you to know when I'm trying to be 'scary'. I'm sure you'll find out eventually, but most of the time, I've found that 'cute' will get you further in life, as disgusting as that is."
    Jackel drums his feet idly.
    "You mean to tell me you didn't like bein' in the middle of every man's eye just then with all your bowing an' jiggling? Ha!"
    He traces a dark finger across the scars running down his chest, slowly.
    "Most o' these, well... I think the word's 'mementos.' I fight an' kill for a living, and not everyone goes down quietlike. Rest I done myself. Meaning?" The Mokai man drums his palms on his muscled chest softly and grins.
    "Means I'm a mean bastard that ain't afraid of pain. What's it mean to you?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

(For Dion)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cook looks a bit uneasy, but just nods.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn watches the sailors for a bitm then seems to get bored and leans over the railing to watch the town disappear behind the ship for a bit.

When the ship makes a slight turn to better catch the wind, he is forced to switch sides if he want to keep watching the coast.

Someone observing him might note that he does not seem to have any trouble navigating the ship's deck.

He notices Runa and Jackel talking at the front of the ship but pays them no heed.

After a while, he decides to go to his cabin and take a nap.

Just waiting for the evening and the captain's dinner probably.

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Dion nods back, and glances around. The moment passes. A very different smile crosses her eye, and she fumbles in her belt pouch for a pair of gold coins.

"Captain's having us dine with him tonight. Our boss, big tall Davethran boy name of Verlyn, is in desperate need of some deflation. Can you make sure his soup gets a little extra...flavouring?"

She pops the two coins into the cook's hand quickly.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

(For Dion)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cook licks his lips nervously, but eyes the coins greedily. Yes, he says nervously. He glances at his two assistants, who are watching Dion curiously, but don't seem to understand what's being said. Okay, I try. What flavour you want for him?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Dion's face becomes an innocent mask. "Well, in order for someone to take the piss, it's important for there to be piss in the first place. Wouldn't you agree?"

She becomes serious.

"Look, you've been decent, and this is just a lark. Don't be putting your job at risk for this or anything. But...it would be a beautiful and shining thing."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

(For Dion)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cook still looks uneasy, but he looks at the two gold coins again, and nods his head. It shall be done.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Tapping fingers to head in mock-salute, Dion nods and withdraws.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    "How about you? I'm betting this isn't just about the money. Talented man like yourself can find work most anywhere."[/COLOR]
    "Was gettin' in a rut, you know, same formula, same results. Gets boring," he shrugged, "Gets you dead, too." Walking his fingers across the rail Reyhan looks blithely out to sea. "Figured if there was one person to break me of that it'd be you." He chuckles, "Lets just make sure this doesn't get too interesting."

Once he tires of the view, Reyhan makes his way below deck to the room he is to share with Jackel. Claiming the remaining bed, he slings his falchion on a nearby peg. Producing a thick blanket and extra clean shirt and short britches, he lays them on his bed in a neat, folded pile along with his cloak and turban.

Preparing for dinner, Reyhan takes out his mirror, holding it at arms length to take in his appearance. Smoothing out the wrinkles with his free hand, the man's clothes take on varying colors and styles before he seems content, sporting a conservative, reasonably formal dress. Going to the wash bowl, he splashes water on his face, shakes it free, and makes his way to the deck once more.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa shrugged and raised her eyebrow higher, grinning.

"You're not afraid to flaunt symbols of your power, neither am I. You could throw a man off a cliff, I could convince him to throw himself off for me."

She turned to head below decks to rest until Dinner.

"See you tonight."
    Runa Redgrave

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel waves a friendly goodbye and watches her go. Or parts of her, anyways.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Below decks once more, Runa carefully opened the side pocket of her backpack. It was reinforced, padded, and ventilated, it's contents, a tiny, slumbering bat. His ears perked and he yawned sleepily as she gently withdrew him, but he quickly flitted to the corner of the room and dangled from the wooden framing. He tookone more deep yawn, smacked his lips with a squeak, and eas instantly asleep.

"Oh Bruno, you sleep all night, you sleep all day... You only budge when there are bugs to eat or I need your help. Perhaps naming after my brother was a little TOO appropriate."
    Runa Redgrave

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion pokes her head around from the bottom bunk at the sound of the squeak. She is more than a bit testy at being outmaneuvered for the top bunk.

"Hey, I didn't know that we were bringing pets along on this tr -"

Her voice instantly changes as she sees Bruno.

"Oh my goodness, he's ADORABLE! How long have you had him?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa smiled.

"About two years. ...Summoning a familiar was a graduation prerequisite at Wizarding Academy in Ralm. At first, I was reluctant... But as soon as I met that lazy bones, I changed my mind. Pet him if you like, he likes being scratched just behind his ears."

She took a small step backwards to allow Dion to pet the tiny Bat.

Spoiler
    Show
    If she accepts, Runa will cast prestidigitation on Dion when her back is turned, and make her all nice and clean, removing any and all of the previous nights funk and replacing it with a deep musk of roses.
    Runa Redgrave

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion nods, and carefully approaches the bat, hand outstretched.

"Oh, you went to that Academy, huh? I hear it's pretty tough."

With tremendous gentleness, Dion scritches Bruno.

By the way, some sailors might be stopping by here tomorrow. Be here or not, as you wish.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-01-25 at 07:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Land is soon left behind, and you are out on the open sea, no land in sight, except in the distance tiny dots in the sky that must be the far-off Zahn isles.
    There is a slight wind, so the ship moves at a steady pace, and it is a nice sunny day. The sailors mostly don't seem to have much to do, so most of them sit around on deck playing dice and listening to one hard-bitten looking Mokai woman playing a sort of stringed instrument.
    Kohan comes up on deck, and leans on the rail, looking out morosely.
    The captain sits on the steps by the forecastle, looking out across the sea.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel naturally gravitates to the gathering of Mokai sailors, grinning wide.
    "That's your music, eh? Whyn't you give us a jig or a reel...Make the whole damn ocean know we're alive and proud!"

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman chuckles. She starts to play a more lively song. One of the female Mokai sailors gets up and starts to dance, the others sitting around clapping in time.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

As Dion scritched Bruno's ears, the tiny bat squirmed slightly with glee, and Runa took the opportunity to deal with the Cleric's funk. With her back turned, she waved a hand silently, and suddenly, Dion felt... well, clean. No funk from last night, no greasy hair, and a subtle odor of musk and roses wafted to her nose. The change was subtle, but definitely something she would notice.
    Runa Redgrave

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Not turning from the bat, Dion's voice is more than a bit sulky.

"You could have offered. I'd have said yeah, and thanks too. Probably. I just got up a little late this morning, is all."

She allows her attentions to the bat to fade gently, then turns to Runa, shrugging.

"Look. Maybe we got off to a rough start. You kind of freaked me out last night."

She extends a hand - a now clean and rose-smelling hand - to Runa.

"Lemme try this again. Hi. I'm Dion."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-01-26 at 10:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa's pale cheeks blushed slightly, looking somewhat sheepish.

"Sorry. I do that to people sometimes. ...freak them out, I mean. And.. I didn't want to be rude... that's why I didn't say anything."

She took Dion's hand and shook it.

"Hi Dion. I'm Runa. And..."

She pulled her thick blonde locks to the side and edged down the choker, revealing on the nape of her neck a very small lightning bolt. She smiled lightly.

"We have more in common than you might think."
    Runa Redgrave

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion is immediately fascinated.

Really?! You have heard the word of Calamesh?

She sits down onto the lower bunk, and tugs at Runa to join her. Her voice drops to a conspiratorial whisper.

I first heard his hard and beautiful words on the streets of Ziggurat, and I never looked back. He's changed my life. Where'd you hear of Him?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa's eyes widened and she sat with Dion.

"You've been to Zigguraut? Wow. I've never traveled quite that far. I've mainly spent my time in Old Davethra. I first heard of Kalamesh from my parents. They cursed his name many times for the destruction of their home, but it's not like the could even remember, they couldn't have been more than infants when that happened. Besides, the raw power of Calamesh and how absolutely indiscriminate he is is what drew me to him. He'll drown peasant and noble alike if it suits him. That's fairer than most things in this world. I like that. Tell me about Zigguraut! Who told you about Calamesh?"
    Runa Redgrave

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel smiles, tongue passing across his teeth once as he gets up to dance right beside the female sailor...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn wakes up.

Having laid down for a quick catnap was nice, but now he doesn't feel tired anymore. Actually he didn't exactly feel tired before either, but he doesn't really know what to do with himself right now.

At school, there was always something to do. And back in the days, when father took him on his diplomatic missions, he always found a way to occupy himself.

But since he's all grown up now, he's no longer supposed to run off into some brambles to chase some small critter. Or jump into a pond.

"*sigh* Is it still not evening?"

Verlyn looks over to Kohan's hammok, finding it empty.

So he just gets up and leaves his cabin. Maybe watch the sailors work some more. Yeah.

Then he passes the girl's cabin and hears voices.

He stops.

(Hmm? Is that Runa and that cleric woman.. Dion? Yes. SO they are chatting, eh? I wonder... )

Verlyn ponders. It is usually considered rude to eavesdrop. Because you might hear things you aren't supposed to. That's why the Stillwaters have always have considered it to be a virtue. After all, you can be so much better a negotiator when you know in advance what your opposition is willing to put up with.

(... and besides, if I learn something about the two, I'll be better at leading them. So I'm practically doing them a favour. Yeah, that works.)

Grinning to himself, he sneaks up the last few steps to the cabin door and... listens.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case it might become story relevant:
    Move Silently: (1d20+8)[22] / Listen: (1d20+6)[20]

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.