New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Tempting Fate

The cook squeaks, and words come bubbling out of his mouth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's your boss, that aristocrat, the girl with you, the Davethran one, she wanted us to piss in his soup, she gave me gold, what was I supposed to say?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel lowers his fist, puzzled.
    "Wait, what? You tellin' me...Pfffffft."
    The Dangerous-looking Mokai man cracks up, finally succumbing to full belly-laughter. He pounds his fist on his thigh,.
    "Ba-hahahaha...Hoo..." He wipes a few tears from his eyes, and then grins.
    "Aw, hell. That's a great secret! It's all petty and spiteful. He-heh. That woman."
    He claps his hand heavily on the chef's shoulder.
    "Arright, that's pretty good. Here, a little gift for sharing a good secret with me."
    Jackel presses three silver coins into the man's hand, and gives him a friendly smile. Abruptly, he clenches his hand tightly on the chef's shoulder.
    "But joke's only funny if you don't take it too far. 'Cause you'd tell me if she paid you to spice up someone else's soup, right? Like, say, your ol' friend Jackel's soup? 'Cause lemme tell you...if somethin' don't taste quite right in my soup at dinner...if it ain't just about the most goddamn scrumptious soup I've ever eaten... I'ma pay you a little visit. We clear? Good."
    Jackel releases his grip abruptly and pats the chef on the back.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar View Post
    Of course, Runa never had to complain about the size... of my blades. You see, back in our days at the academy, we had a very special relationship, full of magic... She asked me to be her guardian and protector, in her own, irresistable way and of course I did agree. How could I not? From all the people she could have choosen from, she picked me, naturally. Why settle for anyone else but the best?
    Dion shrugs.

"So, you've gone from protecting her to getting her to protect you, My Lord? Well, that's a step up in the world for one of you, I guess. And I'm sure your blades are plenty big and impressive, thanks."

She smiles thinly, glancing over at Runa for some kind of hint at what the hell was really going on.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

"Oh, they get the job done." Verlyn says, looking quite smug "but of course, so far I have never been in a real life-or-death fight. The formal challenges at the academy don't count, we were not supposed to kill each other after all. And the time I thwarted a would-be assassin from killing one of my sister doesn't really count either. That pathetic worm didn't pose a challenge at all."

"But now I am on this quest to prove myself. I sure do hope to receive ample opportunity to test my mettle."

"But enough about me. So you are a cleric of Calamesh, yes? Tell me about him?"

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa smirked slightly and gave Dion one of those "I'll tell you later" looks.

"You can call it what you wish, Verlyn... but the reason you've never seen me in an fight to the death is because I have a knack for avoiding them, or... convincing others do the dirty work for me. Magic is good for much more than blowing things up."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

The cook nods, terrified. I'm sure you'll find the soup delicious, m'lord.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel shakes his head, smiling sadly.
    "Aw, don't go calling me 'mi'lord,' man. I ain't your lord; ain't been born higher than you. Just call me Jackel, and just the two of us...we'll know what that means, okay? Good. Thanks for the water...and lemme know if you hear any more good secrets, 'kay?"
    Jackel saunters out of the galley, and begins making his way to his room.
    Time to do some thinking.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

He's an odd one, this Verlyn. Well, we'll take his question at face value.

Dion smiles quizzically at Verlyn.

"Calamesh. Well, My Lord, you've no doubt heard about his little coming-out party sixty years back? I wouldn't have figured you'd have been interested in such matters, since he's not about amassing power, hitting things with swords, or the like. Calamesh is the power of the storm, the power of the earth to move, change and reshape itself. The power of change.

"Now, I'd have figured you for a 'preserve the status quo' kind of guy, if you'll pardon my dwarvish. What with the My Lord thing and all, My Lord. Figured you were pretty happy with the quo in your status, if you know what I mean. Because Calamesh, and this is the important part to remember."

Her smile widens, her voice drops to a murmur, and she steps closer to the tall man.

"Calamesh doesn't give two flaming farts for the status quo."

The moment passes, and she is all business again.

"And you, my lord? Do you hold to the worship of any god?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn smiles.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Direct and to the point. Just like a warrior ought to be. Father would enjoy talking to her.)

"You know, you really ought to talk with my father some day. He would love to discuss this 'Status Quo' with you."

Verlyn detaches himself from the wall and starts pacing around the room, launching into a monologue.

"What you are refering to as the 'Staus Quo', that is, the matter of things as they are, right at this moment, is, in fact, constantly changing. Or as my father would put it: The only true constant in life is change. We get born young and small, then we grow old and tall. We change."

Whirling around to face Dion directly, straigthening himself up and clasping his hands behind his back, he goes on "But some things, the more they change, the more they stay the same."

"You may look at the world and find many things amiss. The constant state of war between nations, which is only briefly interrupted by occasional outbursts of peace, the way the noble castes seem more buisy tearing each other's throats out rather then doing their jobs, the unfairness of it all."

"But what you really mean by 'Status Quo', is it not the fact that I and my fellows enjoy the fruits of the labour of the common man, for no more virtue then the accident of our births? Is it not that you find us at fault for living lives of luxury while our lesser brethren face hardship and starvation? The ever-looming threat of war and death? But what would you change about that?"

"Unless you remake the world in a way where every single living being is equal to.. no.. the very same as every other being, in a way that is so different, so utterly alien to what life as we know it is about, there will always be differences: Some will be stronger, smarter, hardier, comlier then the others. And the strong will always leverage their natural assets to improve their lot in life. As will the smart. And the beautiful."

Verlyn looks over at Runa and winks at her before going on.

"So in other words: Unless you utterly remake the worlds very foundations, you will always have those who rule, and those who are ruled."

"And the fault is not with those who happen to find themselves in a position of power. The fault is with those who are blessed such and then do nothing with their fortune but to squander it for petty selfish things, those who abuse their gifts to damage the world. The fault is with those who sit in their towers or castles or palaces and do not rule, but rather tyrannize their fellow beings."

"A true noble, one born to the blood, such an individual ought to be held to a higher standard and rise to the calling. A noble ough to rule, to enrich the lives of their lessers, to be a shining example of virtue. Be it a wise judge who meditates disputes fairly, an inspired artist who enriches the lives of all with his creations or just the humble warrior who fights the fights that need to be fought so that others don't have to."

"Am I happy being a noble? A member of the Davethran mage caste?"

Verlyn tilts his head slightly and peers at Dion intently "I'll tell you what: I do enjoy the perks. The luxury. The food and drink. But the times I enjoyed most were when I was travelling around with father. When I fough and prevailed against my peers at the academy. When I saved the life of my sister."

"*sigh* You know, the Stillwaters aren't exactly known for their warriors. Our Oathsworn are more bodyguards and peacekeepers then soldiers or generals. Heh, our family motto translates to 'Peace through Verbosity'. As long as people are still talking, they don't kill each other."

"But I'd rather live up to the ideal of the noble knight who fights dragons and saves maidens. Get things done. And in that way, I will do my own 'changing of the status quo'."

"As for gods... they exist. Our grandfather didn't think too highly of them. Although he had some grudging respect for the Grey Watcher and Isana for some reason."

Verlyn makes a pause.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Now watch her face, this might be interesting...)

"Speaking of my grandfather... did you know he was there when Calamesh escaped his prison?"

Lycar

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

As Verlyn talks...and talks...Dion starts out staring defiantly at him. Through the sheer barrage of words, this softens into a kind of apathy, and then into a dull stupor. Only the last sentence snaps her out of this.

"Huh. Trust a noble to spend ten minutes without actually answering a yes or no question. Still, you got my attention. Who was this grandfather of yours? I'm guessing he'd have died in the explosion - can't imagine too much having survived that blast."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn chuckles "Thank you. That's one of the things father made us learn. You know, 'Peace through Verbosity' and all that. But to actually answer your original question: No."

"As for grandfather: That would be Orin Stillwater, son of Darin Stillwater. And he was on the island that held the ... er.. obelisk or whatnot where Calamesh used to be imprisoned. Had to fight some cultists or other."

Verlyn frowns, apparently trying to remember something.

[spoiler](So what was it again that he wrote... something about fighting some host... out-of-body-experience... trying to steal the god's power... hum. Oh well, I can always re-read it some time later.)

"Hrm.. he wrote a diary you know. I had to read it. We all had to. But it has been a while and I kinda only skimmed over the boring parts. Anyway, they fought some people and some priests wanted to suck the power out of that obelisk and things didn't go so well. One moment they were talking to some guy and the next moment the guy goes 'oh crap' and ... I guess that's when Calamesh got free. Can't remember having read anything about any explosions though."

Lycar

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion's face flushes with excitement. She steps in closer to Verlyn, speaking quickly.

"You mean your grandfather was there, witnessed Calamesh's rebirth - and wrote about it? Where would that diary be? Is there any chance that I could read it? This could be fantastic! If he had any flair for language at all - and if he's a Stillwater, as you say...well, that's terrific. So...the diary? Maybe, as soon as we finish this errand of yours, you could write some kind of letter home for me? I wouldn't need the diary, just permission to copy that passage, and anything else he said."

She is staring intently at Verlyn, a tentative smile on her face.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn looks amused and answers "Sure, why not. Father is treating grandfather's diary like The Holy Book of Stillwater. So it's only fitting that one of faith would read it. Why don't you accompany me back to Stillwater Manor once we return from our little trip? I am certain that father will allow you to read it if I put in a good word for you."

Spoiler
    Show
    (See Runa? Now she is extra motivated to take good care of me and no spell was cast...)

Lycar

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Dion nods with what approximates respect.

"Thank you. I'd appreciate hearing more about your grandfather. But I guess we've got time."

She glances back towards Runa. There would be lots more time to hear about that lightning bolt around her neck, and all of the things it might mean.

"It's getting on. Shall we head over to the galley?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-02-06 at 07:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa grinned and stopped twirling the copper piece. If only he knew... half of what I do has nothing to do with magick.

With a softer smile she hopped atop her bunk and dropped her boots down at the foot of the bed, ivory toes intwining almost of their own accord, with her cloak and haversack hung with care. She took her pillow and made herself more comfortable for the continuing conversation, though it looked as though she might doze off at any moment. Waking up early does take its toll.

At the mention of the galley, she perks up noticeably. If there's one thing in this world better than sleep... it's food.

"Ooh, is it suppertime then? I do look forward to seeing what kindof spread they can set out for such fine and cultured guests..."
    Last edited by knewsom; 2009-02-06 at 07:11 PM.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

"Heh, good idea. Food sure is one of the most enjoyable things in life. Ladies first."

Verlyn flourishes with a grin and holds the door for the two women.

He will follow them to the galley.

Lycar

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Declamations of not being a "lady" silenced by thoughts of getting a first hand account (!) of Calamesh's return, Dion suffers herself to lead the other two down to dinner.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel lays in his hammock for a while, picking at his teeth.
    Finally, he puts his boots back on, dons his chain shirt and regular shirt, straps on his sword, and heads down to dinner.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Verlyn, Dion and Runa troop up to the captain's cabin, in the ship's aftcastle. He ushers them in, grinning. Hello, hello! Come, sit down!
    The cabin is larger than your rooms, with windows at the rear, the light of the setting sun shining in.
    A large table is in the centre of the room, with chairs around it. Judging from the pile of books discarded in the corner, you'd guess it doubles as the captain's desk.
    Around it are 10 chairs, packed quite close. Already sitting down is a grim looking Davethran, her head shaved bald, a black tattoo of a spider squatting on top of her scalp. Blue tattooed lines radiate out to the sides of her eyes, and she wears a steel breastplate over a red robe patterned with black spiders and blue webs. At her hip is a scabbarded sword. She peers at you warily.
    Next to her is a much friendlier looking man, a very plump and bald Davethran man, wearing a blue robe with gold trim, and a variety of jewels. He grins, revealing pointed fangs, but despite this, he looks fairly jovial. Greetings! he bellows. Pleasure to meet you!
    While the captain is showing you to your chairs, in front of slightly tarnished silver cutlery, Kohan knocks and comes in, sitting down nervously next to Verlyn, avoiding his eyes.
    Jackel and Reyhan both reach the cabin at about the same time, the smiling captain ushering them in as well.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dion

Still riding the wave of enthusiasm, Dion veritably bounces into the galley, smiling. She takes her appointed seat and waves vaguely to the grumpy woman and the cheerful man.

"Hey. Dion."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa entered the room calmly and paused a moment with a brief expectant look at the captain behind her chair. Once he got the hint and withdrew it, she sat delicately and nodded (although more deeply that Dion) to the Davethrans.

So... an Oathsworn and her liege... What on earth can they want where we're headed?

"Good evening. ...I'm Runa."
    Last edited by knewsom; 2009-02-09 at 11:21 AM.
    Runa Redgrave

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel enters the cabin, knocking the doorframe once with his knuckles as he does.
    "Hey." He nods to the captain, but his gaze passes right over two Davethrans.
    He takes a seat on the other side of Dion from Verlyn, slinging his heavy blade a bit further to his left to accommodate. He drums his fingers on the tabletop, absently.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verly approaches the captain's cabin with a swagger, pausing to greet the cpatain with a bow.

"Good evening, Captain. Thank you for your generous invitation."

He approaches the seat next to Runa but does not sit down immediately, as he notices the other two Davethrans.

"Good evening. I didn't know there are others passengers on this ship. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Verlyn Felyn Stillwater, from House Stillwater. Who do I have the pleasure to dine with this evening?"

Verlyn waits for a reply and then gracefully slips onto his chair.

Lycar

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

The plump man grins. Ah, the Stillwaters! I've met Gebhard Stillwater a couple of times actually. My name is Krenaz Morl, of House Morl, from Zardis, and this is my oathsworn Eria Sharl, or our servant house, House Sharl. The woman nods, but there is no warmth from her. We're on our way to Moka Ven, and then onto Goza Ruz. He rolls his eyes. We've got to see that so-called King Goza, deliver a message for the Empress. Uh! Travelling through the jungle to meet some jumped-up warlord and then pretend like his mud hut doesn't smell like cowpat isn't my idea of fun!
    The captain sits down at the end of the table, while you talk. You note that there's one more chair than there are people.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel says nothing, but his gaze lingers on Krenaz, taking him in from top to bottom. The handsome Mokai scratches his beard, and his mouth twists into a slight, somewhat sinister smile.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn smiles, apparently pleasntly surprised.

"So you have met my father? Of course, in our profession we do get around a lot. So... you are on a mission from the Empress herself? Then you must be a highly skilled diplomat to be trusted with such a delicate task."

Verlyn almost purrs as he speaks the last two sentences.

He did not miss how disparagingly the man spoke about the mokai, and in the presence of the mokai Captain no less.

Apparently this guy thinks he's a better diplomat then he actually is.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Huh. His bodyguard looks she's got a very good idea that she's going to have her hands full trying to protect this guy from himself. Maybe he fell out of favour and the message he delivers reads 'Kill this man and the grain shipment is yours.' or something like that. Ha, I'd love to see how that works out. But no, I'm on a mission myself and I promised father, no distractions. Maybe I'll hear about his fate some day.)

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2009-02-09 at 05:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain's smile is somewhat fixed, as he gets up and gets a bottle of wine from the side.
    Krenaz puffs up. Well, yes, he blusters, it is fairly important, a mission of immense importance really, but when you're such a respected man as myself, such a thing is of little consequence really.
    His bodyguard just waits, impassive.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reyhan

Craning his head around the frame to make out the gathering beyond Jackel, fixing the small assembly with a blithe smile. Taking a seat close to Dion, he looks over the table, then back to the door, clearly anxious for the food to arrive.

"So, ah, who's missing?" Reyhan jerks his head toward the empty seat, hands fumbling with his napkin.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verlyn

Verlyn purrs on, smiling still "Indeed. Certainly your deeds and exploits are noteworthy. Would you do us the honour and tell us a bit about how you earned such a favour from our Empress?"

Turning his attention to the bodygard, Verlyn asks her "So you are protecting a very important man there. So you are from Zardis. What schools did you visit there? I've heard good things about the training they offer."

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2009-02-10 at 01:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Jackel Betruger
    Jackel grips the edge of the table with one hand, his expression perfectly affable, but somewhat still.
    "Message, huh? Well, I hope you got it memorized, 'cause I'd be real surprised if a dumb Mokai warlord can even read, right?"