New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default All the Strange, Strange Kingdoms - IC Thread

Dawn breaks over every nation the same way - creeping over the horizon, sending tendrils of sunlight across their lands.

The dawn cares not about wars and alliances, about cultures and ancient kingdoms, about double-dealing and deception. It doesn't have to declare war on its neighbors, the sky and moon. It doesn't fight great battles, doesn't have to win favor with its neighbors or worry about the economy.

That's what makes it a force of nature instead of a civilized creature like us.

All the strange, strange kingdoms of this world are waking up, and borders will clash. Cultures will clash, and nations will clash in battle. All the strange, strange kingdoms of the world - are they ready? Can they survive the coming storm?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: All the Strange, Strange Kingdoms - IC Thread

Veii

To the inhabitants of Veii dawn was a foreign concept. They knew of it, it was told to all children that on the surface world, every morning the bright orb known as the sun would peak over the horizon and cast its light across the world. A sight very few Veiians would ever get to see. Instead the the passing of hours was told by the tolling of magical clocks and magical fires. In the static and organized world of the Veiians "dawn" came every morning at 6 in the morning and it stayed day out everyday for 14 more hours before night was called. It had been this way for centuries and not even the most elder members of society could remember any differently. Those lucky few, the soldiers of the legions, wizard expeditions and slavers who journeyed to the surface confirmed the legends of a world of varying seasons and an ever changing day and night cycle. It was the goal of every Veiian one day to return to the surface and enact vengeance against those who condemned to the world below. And it was just the time of the year to do it, it was a holy time the lead up to the first raids of the season when brave Veiian soldiers ride out of the world below and bring death to those foolish enough to settle too close to the mountains.

While the city was just awakening for work the tower of wizardry was a hive of activity as always. Operating 24 hours a day for the past thousand years, scholars worked in shifts sifting through knowledge, bureacrats worked ceaselessly to keep the city and outlying territories running. Very few things occured within the city whose knowledge did not pass through these halls.

The early hour did not stop even the First Lord of Shadows Augustus from working. Augustus read over the report presented to him by one of his spy chiefs, the man kneeled before the Shadowlord his eyes averted as protocol dictated so as not to gaze into the inky blackness which concealed the Archmage's face. The blackness symbolically represented the shadow veil which guarded Veii and Shadowlords and only they were granted the right to wear such robes and cowls.

"You say that this Dwarven city was brought down by constructs from the surface world?" asked the master.

"Yes my master. The filthy creatures pushed deep into the bowels of the world where they suffered most gloriously." The spy smiled. There was very little love lost between Dwarves and Veiians, they both competed for the same resources and Dwarven mining expeditions have always threatened to break passages into Veiian outposts. Their destruction was always greeted with joy in these halls.

Dismissed with new orders to gather more information on these mercenaries, Augustus set about working this situation to his advantage.

------------
    Hours later...

The twelve lords of shadow sat in meeting, 12 scribes behind them each taking their own minutes for their masters. It was a cautionary measure, one official minutes of the meeting could easilly be tampered with, but 12 would be nearly impossible. Augustus briefed them on what he had recently learned and though he was prepared to make contact it would be best if he did not propose the idea in case anything went wrong. That duty would fall to Lord Titus, the youngest member of the Council and always eager to contribute suggestions he fancied himself as the future First Lord and worked hard to establish his reputation as a power broker.

After a short debate the proposal to send an emissary to these "Ebon Hills" was accepted by the majority of the council. In accordance with the rules governing the Council the House of Titus would oversee the endevaor, a supporting house in this case Augustus' would accompany and a house opposed to it in this case Lord Tiberius would also send a representative in the diplomatic party. This was all done of course to prevent treachery and to make sure even those opposed to the plan would have a place in it to force compliance.

----------------------
    @Greystone

The wagon pulled by the large lizard made its way through the dark passage towards the underworld entrance to the Ebon Hills. Aboard were 3 mages and a soldier serving as a driver. Within the wagon was an offering of fine weapons. Forming a diamond around the wagon four cavalrymen made up the guard for this Diplomatic mission their wicked lances raised high on a non-threatening manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground

Out of the dark came the guards, ten of the Ebony Warforged and one pale faced young man "Halt who goes there" he barks with a odd voice.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

4. - Top - End - #4

Veii

@Greystone

The group comes to a halt as the three mages get off the car. The lead lizardrider moves to the side to make room for the mages as they approach the group of constructs.

The mage in the center addresses the pale man in an accented form of the common tongue "Greetings to you. I am Master Cato, emissary from the City of Shadows. We have noticed that you have expelled the Dwarves who had previously called these tunnels home and now claim dominance over these passages. My lords have seen it fit to offer you these goods as a sign of friendship from the City of Shadows," he motions to the cart laden down with fine Veiian weapons "and wish that we may establish peaceful and beneficial relations between our peoples."
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Undergound

The man blinks in surprise and motions for a warforged to walk forward "Runner" he said "Head up to the second check point and tell them we have visitors"

The warforged bowed, his emereld eyes glowing "Yes Captain" and the dark construct practically flew away down the hall.

It didn't take long before a group of dark armored mercenaries rode down the passage. At their head a young woman was bestride a majestic black Rage Drake. Her shock white hair framed a interested young face, the eyes purest black.

"Master Cato, I am Regenisis."
    He voice sounds melodic, but vaguely unsettling "You are here to discuss peaceful relations with the Ebon Hills. Before I admit you, tell me what exactly you are, and the City of Shadows"

Armlan

The force that marched into the Armlan lands was a proud site. Over five hundred Mercenaries, two hundred of them the Black skinned warforged, marched in three columns.

At the rear a small supply train followed while in the front two forms came to the forefront.

Colonel Aliiza Karez looked quite the picture of a officer, bedecked in Black Plate mail with a Blood red overrobe covering it. Her dark brown hair and tanned skin matched the outfit perfectly. Behind her, also on horse was the company standard bearer holding the Blood Red field with Black Diamond.

Next to her a young man rode, pale skinned and dressed in black and gold ambassadors robes. His blond hair is slicked back and his pure ebony eyes darted around.

"We should reach our destination soon Simalcrum"
    Aliiza assured the spooked diplomat.
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-01-14 at 04:01 PM.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Duchy of Armal, Capital Province of Armalen

Dawn found Armalen cold and dark, The Capital City slowly waking, it's gloomy exterior belying the hustle and bustle of the common people. From the Mines on the outskirts the night shift stumbled out, a throng of bodies both warm and breathing and Dead and cold.
    Slightly above the city, and away from the Mines stood Dread Keep, a looming, massive fortification that thrust out from the mountains behind it as if it were the fist of some massive Beast, clawing its way from the surface. It had been built in time long-forgotten, and though considered old-fashioned with the technologies and magics of the current times, by its very nature it would probably outlast them all, its outer walls thicker than thirty men standing hand in hand in a chain, and looming battlements cleverly designed to fool scaling attempts while giving defenders an ample view with which to drop boulders,oil,and arrows down upon their foes.

---

Her Majesty, Queen Mira Von'Armalen, swept into the council room in a rustle of fine robes and bright ceremonial clothes of office, and smiled politely at the few people she could trust explicitly. The Dread Keep did nto appear as it did on the outside as it did n the interior, and the Council room was awash in bright Magelight. Behind her the massive metal doors, intricately designed with precious jewels and metals shut with a clang, and her scribe whispered a small incantation.

Their was a sound like a bubble popping faintly int he distance, and the Council Members all relaxed visibly, Old Baron Ziegfried Von Armalen even producing a fat, long-stemmed pipe, his wife leaning over to light it with a touch of her finger. Even dead, Baroness Von Armalen was an accomplished mage, and her thick-set, homely body belied a cunning that had attracted her husband to her even when she was alive.

"There.And now none cna hear us speak.And where were we yesterday?"Mira said calmly as she slid into her formal, ornate chair, her scribe producing cushions to make the painfully stiff chair more comfortable.

She sighed and let the drone of complaints fill the air,and calmly raised a hand,gaining total silence.

"Quiet.I have spoken of this last time. Our contract with The EbonHills Companies will stand. we have argued this to death, and I have explained my reasons. It is far better to use their strength as our advantage, and let them have their land,then waste energy watching a border that is no longer threatened." She said calmly,and just a bit more than half of the Council nodded their heads. She remarked that Drokk Tanseign, an old,surly dwarf merely looked stonily at her instead. He had had investments with the dwarven groups the EbonHill had defeated to gain their new land. He'd also protested when they'd revolted against Armalen rule, playing down thee fact they had wanted their Very Queen's Head on a Pike.

She sighed. She'd have to have him killed tonight, if only because She knew he was leaking information to merchants about how Taxes changed during Council Meetings. It wasn't normally an execution-worthy offense, but it would let her enemies in the Council know She Was Not To Be Trifled With.

"Now, about how We will deploy the Mercenaries We have hired.."She stated, making sure to stress that the We was the royal We, and not the combined Council in front of her...

-------------
    Karak Dulvorosh

The troupe of mounted Riders moved in two long lines as they approached the Great, recently rebuilt Gates of Karak Dulvorosh. Across shields and hanging on limp, Dead banners were stretches of black, a skeletal hand out-splayed across its surface, and in between a large chest sat braced between two stout black stallions, their riders leading them by hand.

And at the head of it rode a slender, armored figure, head held high and alert, though somehow it gave off the impression of a withered, hunched shape. The figures horse stood just as proud,but for the fact that a large portion of its rib-cage showed, as if part of it had been shorn off by an axe. It moved without difficulty however, prancing like any eager young stallion until the figure tugged at the reins impatiently.

The Figure itself had much the same appearance, its armor of exceptional quality, and a glossy,polished black, yet no amount of polish and shine could hide the scratches and dents of a hundred battles fought, and the swept-back plume atop it hung disheveled and damp in the foggy air.

The procession stopped with military precision a polite distance from the Gates, the lone Rider at hte front slowly picking its way forward.

Aia Von'Armalen, former Princess of the Undying Nation, and Currently one of the top Generals of said Nation, glanced about slowly. Even after some time she coulds till see the furrows of battle, where Warforged Titans had stripped the land of the flat, listless grass of the Ebon Hills, and boots had trampled well-tended gardens into so much mud.

She turned Limpid, yellowed eyes towards the guard that moved to call Question for her visit, the whites of her eyes darkened like fine,ancient parchment to a light yellow, though her blakc eyes were as piercing as a sudden brushstroke.

"Greetings. Her Majesty My Sister Mira Von'Armalen sends Salutations and Well-being to your Company. She extends her formal Alliance this day with a gift, and I have been instructed to meet with a Marshall Fisk."

She raised her voice so that the guards behind the one she spoke with would here.

"I am Aia Von'Armalen, of Royal Blood Relation to the Undying Monarchy. I am employed to Speak and Negotiate on its behalf with your Leaders. Behind me is my personal Retinue and Duke Terrance of Armalen." She said loudly, her voice projecting.

She gave a small smile from bloodless lips to the soldier and turned in her saddle, and as her arm shifted the soldier would see the bloodless, gaping hole that went through her left side and out her back, right below her Heart. The soldier could even see the rest of her retinue through it.
    "Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Karak Dulvorosh

The guard, a veteran of several patterns coughed silently then spoke keeping his voice controlled "Greetings one of Royal Blood" he nods "Lord Fiske is expecting you"

The gates open silently to reveal two rows of silent warforged. The guard takes the group into the courtyard and asks for them to dismount "The stable hands will take care of your...mounts"

He then turns and leads them into the mountain itself. Several different winding passages lay before you but he takes you to the left and into what appears to be a smallish greeting hall.

On a throne at the end of the room a tall slender man stands and bows. He is older, perhaps late forties and his hair is black. He wears a ornate black doublet and trousers, a long silver sword buckled at his waist "I am the Marshall Montgomry Fiske"

- SurlySeraph

8. - Top - End - #8

Armalen City Limits

The walls of the city were slightly less intimidating as those of the Keep, but the wide gates would hold even the armies of the Ebon Hills, at least enough time to mobilize a stronger defense, and the black rock and spare, well-cleared ground presented a foreboding aura. From the base of the gate a small line appeared, resolving into a door made of the solid,dark stone.

A Man stepped out, flanked by six men in Dark plate, a white, skeletal hand pressed upon every gleaming obsidian breastplate.

The Man was also paced by an incredibly thin white hound, which trotted close at the mans heels as they approached.

Runners had already announced the Ebon hills contingent were on the way, and the small group stopped politely a distance form the large Company, allowing the Colonel and the EBon hills Ambassador to approach formally.

"Greetings to our newest Allies. My name is Baron Jonz Von Armalen. My Queen wishes to extend her apologies for not meeting you personally, but She is currently in meeting with the High Council conducting affairs of state." The Man said with a smile and a short bow, the soldiers around him snapping to attention, the banners on their spears fluttering with small snaps as the harsh winds circled around them.

"Your Men are allowed within the first Wall of the City, but Her Majesty wishes that your men abstain from entering the City Proper or the Dead Keep's grounds."He continued smoothly after introductions went around, and his hand lowered,stroking the hound's head, which, now that it was close enough, was quite. Quite Dead. Skeletal in fact, its whipcord tail clacking softly as it wagged.

"Food and lodging has been prepared"He said and gestured for them to follow, the Massive Gates slowly creaking open like some fantastic Maw, Huge and Terrifying. Of course, what was behind them was as surprising as the younger Baron's pet.

Crowds milled just outside an open, wide thoroughfare and twisted and turned upwards into the distance,leading to another set of large gates in the distance. The Crowd broke into loud cheers and cries as the Company came into view, and everywhere as the soldiers were walking past were bright colors and jewelry and fabrics, even sharper when contrasted against the dark,drab colors of their surroundings.

Women, both alive and vibrant, and sallow,pale,and no longer quite so living snuck out amid the soliders, offering both Warforged and living and in-betweens cups encrusted with small, shiny stones(though not precious ro valuable) or brightly colored pieces of fabric or flowers, as if they were returning soldiers rather than a mercenary company!

The Man smiled and waved politely as the crowds parted, leading both the Colonel and the Simulacrum, his soldiers close to keep the crowd back.

"They are happy you conquered Karak Dulvorosh, they have been attacking our trade Caravans for some months now, and we had despaired of ever getting shipments to the Trading ports in the South. Come, we will be visiting the Keep. Your Men will be seen to."He said calmly.

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Armalen City Limits

"I am Colonel Aliiza Karez and the is ambassador Jeorge" commented the Horsewoman with a bow.

She barked an order back at the troops and without a sound they began to march again into the city.

The men and warforged seem pleasantly surprised at the greeting, though the lecherous comments from some of them were soon cut off by the sharp voices of nearby sargents.

The officers allowed the gifts though and soon the company marched through the streets, though the guards to the wagons were extra alert. The COlonel turned to the Baron "If you could show us the way?"

- SurlySeraph

10. - Top - End - #10

Karak Dulvorosh

"Indeed. Dismount!" She said quietly, yet every single one of her soldiers moved as if the word had been shouted, dismounting in lockstep as eerily(and perhaps even more stunningly) as any Warforged group.

The horses were easily led away, roughly a third of them still alive, the rest either like their Leader's mount, or skeletal, as if Lady Aia rode with Death's own horsemen.

The chest in the middle was calmly taken up by two soldiers beneath dark helmets, though one hand grasping the chest was skeletal underneath the metal-backed glove, and the other's free arm appeared a size too large for his body, as if he had replaced it with an ogre's.

She lifted a hand and they formed up amid the warforge, and like a funeral procession they made their way to the Marshall's meeting Room.

"Greetings Marshal Fisk, I am Lady Aia, one of the representatives My Sister Her Majesty has sent."She gestured with a hand, and the two guards that had accompanied her into the rooms et down their burden, which when opened revealed a bed of jewels of uncut beauty. Amid them a figure was curled, and witha stretch slowly unfurled.

The strange creature was a mix of horror and beauty, elegance and ruin. It was elf-like, and it's black eyes were ringed in gold, its tall,pointed ears swept back beneath a shock of bright white hair. The elf bowed, its robes lined with gold embroidery, its wide shoulders marking it as a male.

"My name is Lord Talvis,of Armalen's Dark Elves. It is an honor to meet you Marshal Fisk"he said politely, and absently brushed a long fingered finger over the pale white bone of his left arm, which was skeletal form fingertips to teh shoulder, and engraved with delicate, eye-catching engravings. Neither Aia nor her guards,nor Talvis seemed in anyway perturbed that the man had been traveling in a chest, though Talvis gestured towards the chest.

"This is the rest of the payment that Our Queen has promised for our contract." He stated calmly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Karak Dulvosh

If Fiske is surprised, it doesn't show, and he greets them both "Greetings and thanks on the behalf of Doctor Kessel Unbara."

he snaps his fingers and two warforged come and take the box away "I assume that you are the delegates from your court? Or are you just here to pay me?"

- SurlySeraph

12. - Top - End - #12

Armalen

"Of course Colonel Karez, Jeorge"

The trip to the Dread Keep was stately but quick, their guards moving them at a brisk pace. The common soldiers were shown to barracks, where they were given food and places to rest. Within the walls of the buildings Armalen was a city within a city, for not even the barracks had a lack of beautiful carvings and bejewelled, metalworked walls and doors and furniture. The trip tot he keep was round-about and twisted, witchbacks and confused city layouts confounding event he bast of cartographers.

The Baron escorted them to a small, warm meeting chamber, and settled them in plush seats that one sunk into. The Warm, bittersweet Kaleya, the traditional drink of Armalen courtesy arrived in steaming mugs before the two ambassadors.

"Please, rest yourself. I will be your host until Her Majesty is free to recieve you."The Baron said with a warm, charming smile, his Dog curling up at his feet with a skeletal yawn.

13. - Top - End - #13

Underground

Recoginizing this Regenisis as a figure of importance Cato bows at the waist, the other two mages quickly follow suit.
    "Greetings Lady Regenisis. I am Master Cato a commissioned Magi in good standing with the Council of Wizards and its 12 Lords of Shadow whose word is law. I have been selected by that esteemed body to serve as an emissary to you, the new rulers of this city. In regards to your second question..." he turns and points in a direction "The City of Shadows lies many miles away and many miles below. A metropolis that seeks the purest pursuit of discovering the mysteries of the art and of the universe."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Armalen

Both accepted the cups of Kaleya as they contemplated the new surroundings. Aliiza spoke first "Why does Armalen need Mercenaries Baron?" she asked with a raised eyebrow " Are you at war?"

Underground

Regenisis regards him with her deep black eyes, then nods "Then come with me, the Docter himself will want to see you"

She leads them to a huge lift of some sort, which easily fits all of them. The lift goes up slowly and as they reach the stop, Regenisis jumps from her mount "Please Dismount and I will get you an audience."

She quickly walks away. Minutes later she returns "The Doctor will see you now"

She leads them to a ornate room. larger than the one with Fiske, and at the end an even larger throne, the one that used to belong to the King of the Dwarves, a shortish man sat.

He was pale, and around fifty years of age, though he looked spry for one of his age. He too wore the robes of a magi, though a utility belt full of tools somewhat belies the image "Make your offer" he said calculatingly.
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-01-14 at 05:04 PM.

- SurlySeraph

15. - Top - End - #15

Underground

The lizardriders dismount from their beasts and follow the wizards on foot. Entering into the throne room the wizards once again bow, this time to the doctor

"Greeting to you my lord. I am Master Cato emissarry of the City of Shadows. I have been commissioned by the Council of Wizards and its 12 Lords of Shadows to offer you the following gifts as a sign of friendship and congratulation to your capture of the hall from its previous Dwarvish inhabitants."

The soldiers begin bringing forth the finely crafted weapons from the cart.

"I have been commissioned to seek out an alliance between our peoples in which we can secure peace and prosperity for both our nations. I have been authorized to seek the safe passage of trade caravans from the great City of Shadows and its outlying territories to this majestic city. We would also like to discuss the possibility of mutual assistance in case any foreign powers would seek to do us harm."

16. - Top - End - #16

Kazz'a'hadar
    Realm of the Gods
    - Capital City
    -- Palace
    --- High Tower of the Dragon Lords

Zar awakes early. He had never been a late sleeper, and the duties of the crown had certainly not made him any more relaxed. He walked to the edge of his room, staring out over the capital city of Kazz'a'hadar. His room was high above the rest of the city, and it contained no real walls. Instead, a series of pillars in a ring at the edges of the tower supported ceiling. The aire-like design had many uses. It allowed him to directly observe much of the city. It meant he could fly directly to anywhere else in the city. It meant he could always be accessed by petitioners. And it had one other purpose.

"We see you have awakened, Zarrexiestthros."
    "We hope you have slept well."
    "Are you ready to begin your duties once again?"
    "Enough. Give him some air"

Zar doesn't face any of his "advisors", having long past learned that whenever he focused on one, another would speak. He fans his wings out, enjoying the light breeze on the warm summer morning. He opens one of the many trapdoors in his floor, withdrawing a change of clothes. He dresses, and pulls his sword from its resting place before buckling it to his side. It was time to get to work.

"Very well. I am prepared. Let us begin."

He opens another trap door, opening the staircase to his tower room. Finally, he goes once more to the tower edge and inhales deeply. He converts the air into fuel for his internal fire, before unleashing a large blast of roiling flame, signalling that he was awake and ready to receive visitors. A servant entered from the staircase.

"My lord?"
    "Let them in, Sinzz. And send for some meat, please."

Zar walks over to his throne, as a retinue of servants and beauroucrats emerge from the staircase. As they arranged themselves, Zar looked over a stone tablet that had been engraved with the most pressing issues. The first petitioners of the day would be along soon. It was time to get to work.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground

The Doctor thinks for a moment "Well, we give you safe passage for caravans and thanks for the offering"

He stares across looking interested "Of course a tax may be placed on such caravans, nothing that will cut into profits, but that is a detail that can wait. As for alliance, I apologize, since I a mercenary that would not be prudent." He lifted a finger "Unless You wish to purchase an alliance, in which case none of my customers would accuse me of favoritisms"

he shrugs "Its all about keeping the customers happy.

- SurlySeraph

18. - Top - End - #18

Underground

"That is most excellent. As for purchasing an alliance I am sure we could work out an agreement. We are renowned users of the art and you no doubt could benefit from the assistance of Magi? Or, if you prefer something more tanigiable we could supply you with deep earth metals."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground

"ah" the doctor said "Now there is a novel idea. I am sure rare resources would be a fine payment, but perhaps some spellcasters as well. Not FOR us as much as on loan, and I give you my word if things ever go bad between us, they will be returned unharmed"

- SurlySeraph

20. - Top - End - #20

Underground

"As it will be done my lord. With your permission, I would like to remain here to serve as permanent ambassador on behalf of my masters while my companions return to our homeland to bring word of your acceptance. They will then dispatch a detachment of my brother-Magi so that we may serve you as loyally as we serve the Lords of Shadow."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground

Kessel nods and with a flourish summons two scantily clad women "Here, Aleena and Zaresta will take you to your room"

He gestures at Regenisis "Send Ambassedor Korell with them"

Regenisis nods "Very well" she turns and leads the men out. They are soon met by a Simalcrum, that of a middle aged man "Greetings, I am Korell, and I am to travel with you"

- SurlySeraph

22. - Top - End - #22

Underground

Cato bows "Thank you my lord. You will not be disappointed."

The other two Mages greet Ambassador Korrell "Ambassador it is a pleasure. I am Master Barius and this is Master Fimus. We and our bodyguard will be escorting you to the City of Shadows as soon as you are ready to depart."

The soldiers rush about readying the wagon for the return trip as they unload Cato's baggage and rearrange and the cargo that hasn't been offloaded to offer the maximum space for the travellers.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground
    Korell smiles oddly "My men already have my things" two warforged march out, each carrying a trunk "We are ready to go"

In the Hall Kessel nods again "I hope not"

- SurlySeraph

24. - Top - End - #24

"Then we are ready." The magi take their seats in the wagon as the warforged finishing loading up the Ambassadors baggage and Korell makes himself comfortable.

The lizardriders take their defensive positions around the wagon as its driver drives the beast forward on the road back home.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground

Korell leans back and closes his eyes. It is impossible to tell whether he is sleeping or not.

The twin warforge stare at the Magi balefully, emotionless faces exuding a calm suspicion.

- SurlySeraph

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Eastern Reaches, Farther out than normal...

"Come on, a bit farther. We haven't been this way before, and we may not get the chance for seasons!" Ranoth Jaelathor leapt up onto a rock, claws scrambling for purchase on the stone. He pulled himself up and leaped upwards, scrambling up the hill. "We're a good distance away from the Clan already - shouldn't we head back and tell them that there's only hill country for a day in this direction?" Ranoth simply laughed at Moran's protests. "You have no adventure in your soul, Moran! Don't we wander to explore unknown lands? Tell you what - if there's nothing interesting on the other side, we'll leave." Moran shook her head ruefully. "You'd find a wasteland interesting, Ranoth..." Nevertheless, she kept climbing.

Ranoth bounded up to the top on all fours, straightening up and sniffing the wind as Moran climbed up after him. Her jaw dropped as she looked down. "Sweet Light..." Ranoth gave a barking laugh as Moran stared down at the settlement below them. "And this is why we explore. Come on - we'd better take a look around before we head back to the Jaelathor. After all, we need to know what we're talking about..."

Spoiler
    Show
    First contact with the Welans - just to let you know, Omnik. I can't really name them before the Jaela know what they are...

Northern Reaches, with several hungry Jaela

"Told you boys that my nose was never wrong..." Sharea whispered at her companions as they looked cautiously down the knoll, using the long grass to mask their colorful silk and leather. A clan of goblin-like creatures were traveling in strange wagons, looking a lot like kobold-made contraptions.

"Well, even this close I can smell the food..." Karz was almost drooling from the smell coming from the clan's wagons. He glanced at his friends. "We go in, take the food, and run back to the clan?" Sharea nodded, as did Nevan and Woryl. Lathan only said, "It might work. More food is always a boon."

Nevan flipped out a small ivory dagger - he'd made it himself while traveling along the coast. "They'll never know what hit them. On the count of five?"

Several moments later, the caravan traveling to the Federated States of Agakaan was assaulted.

Spoiler
    Show
    First contact with the Gremlins.

...Why must my first contacts always involve outnumbered raids, Greystone?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Because you are a headstrong Bastard Raz I think your just a Masochist

Bringers of the Company
    Riders are sent out the Gates of Karak Dulvorash, they go to bring word of the Mercenaries new HQ and manner of buisness.

[ie anyone who wants to meet me, have a rider encounter you [/spoiler]

- SurlySeraph

28. - Top - End - #28

Agakaan

So we come now to the nation of Agakaan, a federation of merchant cities bound together by the threat of the Farathic Empire. It would be nice to be able to call it a 'Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy', but that would just being melodramatic. And possibly making a commentary on the Merchants, which is usually unhealthy.

The news of the Alliance between the Ebon Hills and the Veii was not met without some suspicion, and more than a few merchants took some small interest in the proceedings.

It was business as usual, then.

Goblins at the Ebon Hills!

It was scant but a few weeks after the departure of the Shadow Emissaries when a second caravan arrived, this one with a carriage of fine oak and surrounded by a small private guard comprised of goblins. Their armament and uniform gave away their allegiance immediately - they were the private guard of one of the merchant princes of Agakaan.

Not that it was hard to tell - after all, the famed 'Firearms' of Agakaan were only ever fielded in groups of any size by the Merchant Princes themselves.

Marco Polo and Armalen

*Ker-Crack!*

Where the bandits' leader once stood, there was now only a smouldering pile of ash. The others stared.

"Off with you, or you'll be next!"

The bandits appeared confused for a moment, then fled. Book sighed, and pressed the hand-firearm back into his coat. Wouldn't bandits ever learn? He shook his head, and slapped his mule on the backside to get it moving again.

"Stupid creature." he muttered, in his native goblin, and shivered from the cold. Armalen was just up ahead, and he'd finally made it onto the main road.

He braced himself for the infamous undead of the ranged, and headed up to the ominous gates of Armalen itself.

Godsdamned Dragons.
    In one of the settlements near the Realm of the Gods

"Bah, never going to find Zah'Kohl." grumbled Cartwheel, downing another mug of ale. It was rare enough to see Dragorans passing through on their way to the Capital - rarer still so close to the Ritual of the Stars, when everyone who wanted to head to the Capital was already long gone. Stupid border guards.

So much for that big idea. Wonderful metalwork was easy to find - half a dozen of the biggest countries in the world touted their own wares as the 'best in the world'. Starmetal, not so much. And the rite would be the only good time to buy, when there was a good supply before everyone started using it all up.

He sighed, and headed back out of the tavern, looking for the marketplace. Maybe someone could point him in the right direction there.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblins at the Ebon Hills!\

A group of tenty warforged pathfinders waylaid the Goblins at the entrance to their realm.

Their leader stepped forard and in a powerful, calm voice said "What is your reason in the Ebon Hills?"

- SurlySeraph

30. - Top - End - #30

Agakaan
    Goblins at the Ebon Hills!

The carriage stopped, and the door swung open, a dwarf wearing a large black cap reminiscent of a tudor bonnet stepped out. He was dressed luxuriously in furs and jewelry - finery coming only from the depths of wealthy pockets.

Definitely a customer.

"What else? Business."

Lightbringers

"Bandits!" came the cry, as the Jaelans fell upon the caravan. The gremlin guards moved so their backs were to the caravan and raising the contraptions they had in their hands. Even the driver produced a smaller, but similar looking contraption, from beside him.

They held the devices like crossbows - but clearly, they were not, because they lacked the bows to launch bolts, and instead seemed to have a staff where the bolt should have been.

The guards pointed their curious sticks at the raiders, and squeezed the triggers.

Rays of light erupted from the gemstones at the heads of the devices, rending the flesh and burning bone to ash where they struck, and searing the air where they didn't.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-01-14 at 09:29 PM.