New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: All the Strange, Strange Kingdoms - IC Thread

Veii

Driving the wagon onwards the crowds in the street part in respect towards the Magi. Coming quickly upon the gates, they swing open at the last moment and close as soon as the rearguard clears the gateway. Stopping at the giant doors they begin disembarking. "Ambassador, welcome to the City of Shadows. If you will follow me I shall show you to your chambers."

OOC: It is designed to counter creatures that normally have darkvision and would resemble a thick fog in both mediums of sight. Not sure exactly how warforged see, they may have a tiny sight advantage in the fog.

OOC @ Ping: Psst...the name of the city is a secret. To outsiders it is just referred to as the City of Shadows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Veii

Korell steps out, and with the warforged in toe follow the magi to his chambers.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

3. - Top - End - #63

Veii

The halls are filled with robe mens rushing to and fro carrying heavy books and scrolls. Side rooms contain all manners of libraries, labs and other centers of research. The occassional patrols of chainmail clad soldiers are seen but they are easilly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of Magi.

The Ambassadors room, rooms to be more precise is a large suite containing a living quarters, office and dining area. Attached rooms have a small kitchen and a servants quarters.

"I hope this is too your liking. If you require anything do not hestitate to ask anyone."
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

4. - Top - End - #64

Spoiler
    Show
    (@LongVin: Well, would you rather be called 'Veii' as a general name, or have it never come up?

I'm basically going with the dwarf knowing that the country he's taking a contract out on is called 'Veii'. He doesn't know specific details, like the city of shadows.

Also, it's easier to just remember 'Veii'*.)

*Actually real reason. Shh.

Agakaan
    Mercenary Business

Barak shook his head - not in any mocking way, just the back-and-forth of price haggling.

"Ordinary Veiin aren't worth that much. 40 gold per head. The Mages we will pay 350 per head. The head of an important personality, of course, is open for negotiation when brought in - we will pay no less than a thousand gold pieces for such a person."

"Of course, we would also like to get our hands on any Veiian documents you may acquire, and will pay 200 gold pieces per document and 20 gold pieces per page.""[/COLOR]

Barak leaned back and waited for Julius' response.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-01-14 at 11:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Eastern Reaches

The Jaela came upon a modest village in the heart of a valley. They saw that the villagers were growing rice, even now during the dry season, thanks to an advanced irrigation system. The region wasn't heavily fortified, but a watchtower did sit on a nearby cliff. The Jaela also noticed several standing stones erected all around the settlement.

---------------------------

Kensogan, capital of Kelawen

Masai leant over the balcony and enjoyed the warm breeze, as the sun cast its first beams over Kensogan. At the same time, she could hear the pheonixes flying overhead. This spot was her favourite. From the minaret of the Temple, it was possible to see the whole of the city. Its turquoise, cobalt blue and eggplant colored domes and spires were impressive. The Welans used different techniques of tile decoration. Some mosaic-style panels depicted turtles, winged lions and heroes of legends. In other places, glazed tiles were set into a distinctive pattern of small honeycomb niches. The capital owed its nickname, the "Jewel of the West", to the beauty of its palace, of the national gardens, the Academy and the main temples of the Pantheon. Masai truly loved Kensogan. Unlike some of the other priestesses, however, she had actually left the city to travel the land. She was delighted with what she saw of the countryside: its fields that stretch as far as the eye can see, its lone mountain peaks, its tropical flowers, its jungle shrines decorated with relief panels and impressive statues of martyrs and spirits... not to forget elephants! It was all so different! If only she didn't have all those responsibilities, she would leave again...

Masai sighed and got dressed. As she exited the temple, the Shrinemaiden saw a boy running towards the seat of the Senate. She recognized Newa the messenger.

"- What are the news today Newa?"

The fourteen-year-old boy stopped dead in his tracks and turned to face Masai. He bowed before her and said:

"- Good morning priestess. Merchants from The Harbor are here. They speak of a treaty with the Tekeans."

Nawa, visibly in a hurry, excused himself and continued his run.

The Island of Tekea? So, their people finally wish to discuss a trade agreement... This could prove interesting.
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-01-15 at 12:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Ebon Hills
    - Main Building

Kozz'haad bows and sits. My people wish to negotiate a contract with the mercenary company of the Ebon Hills. We do not need mercenaries, per se, but we wish to ensure that your warriors are never brought against us. We have both money and other potential offerings."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercenary Business

Julius gave a sorrowful expression "I cannot settle for less than 55 per head and 380 per mage" he pointed down "They are right underneath our capital after all, so thats hazard pay"

Ebon Hills

Varya raised an eyebrow "Well a contract like that would be a monthly payment, with a chance for other countries to outbid the day before the payment is due"

Veii

"Very well" Korell stated, and left to his room.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

The Reynard Twins

Rhysanon shakes her head. "We need less war, outlander - not more. Your valorous swords won't be needed here, and only the Kobolds live south of here. My advice, outlander - head back. You're not needed here. Sell your swords to others who need them more."

The second Jaela chuckles. "If we want swords, we can get them from the south. If we don't want swords, who needs them?" The sound of his claws unsheathing was somehow ominous.

Raiding problems

Lethan growled as he saw the finely dressed goblin - but what good would revenge serve? He saw a way out of this problem that might work.

As the leader yelled at his guards, a shadow fell over him, and a furred hand lifted him up by the scruff of his neck. "I think that we have had an unfortunate misunderstanding, yes?" Lethan's half-smile was the grin of a predator.

Meanwhile, Nevan danced away from the guards - the acrobatic young Jaela moving too swiftly for them to accurately fire at him. He laughed at them and taunted them, dancing from wagon to wagon.

Taryn

Taryn had been following the Jaelathor for several days, and had finally caught up. He slowed his long stride to a tired lope, walking through the tents of the Jaelathor, several of them recognizing the silver streak through his copper hair and greeting him warmly.

Asking several of the clansmen, he finally found who he was looking for - Karia Jaelathor, chieftain of the Jaelathor. As he walked up to the chieftain's large tent, Karia glanced up at Taryn and hurriedly rose. "Honored Lightborn, it honors me greatly to have your presence grace the Jaelathor. Will you accept my hospitality for a time?" Taryn responded to the ritual greeting with the answer, "I would count it as an honor to accept your hospitality, noble chieftain." Karia's face lit up with a grin, and she hugged Taryn enthusiastically. "It's good to see you again, Taryn. I haven't seen you since we met in Cragmoor - and I've only seen one other Lightborn since then. Come in, sit down and I'll fetch you some food." Taryn bowed his head and let Karia lead him into her lush tent, taking the chance to rest his weary body on several cushions.

Karia brought back some spiced meat and wine, with some wild fruit on the side. Karia and Taryn talked for several hours, Karia speaking of the travels of the Jaelathor, Taryn speaking of his duties as a Child of Light and of how the tribes were quiet in the southwest. "I'm going to have to head north, if only to have the chance for some adventure!" Taryn gestured to his blade, Ayaz - a great sword, made to be wielded with two paws and forged of finest kobold steel, decorated with engravings of frost and ice down the blade that hinted at its enchantment. It was the blade of a warrior, and Taryn knew how to wield it well.

Karia chuckled. "You'll find adventure aplenty wherever you go, Taryn - it follows you!" As they laughed together, there was a scuffle outside and a young Jaela burst into the tent. "Chief Karia! We've found som..." His voice trailed off as he saw Taryn. "Oh... my apologies, Lightborn. I'm sorry if I interrupted you - I'll go wait outside..." Taryn held out his paw. "Nonsense. Come and tell the chieftain what you will - we were only chatting about old adventures. If it's important, then tell us right away!" The boy grinned meekly, and continued. "Me and Moran went scouting westward, and we went farther than we should have... we found a settlement, chief! Outlanders, very close!" Taryn looked at him in interest. "An outlander settlement? And you're sure we've never met these outlanders before?" He nodded, and Taryn rose, girding on his great sword. "Then we may as well go and meet them. Karia, if you could head westward on the morn, I'll go with a guide and meet the outlanders." Karia nodded, "Certainly. Ranoth! Go get Darkai and Raithe, tell them that they'll be accompanying a Lightborn to an outlander settlement and meet him on the hill west of here! Go!" Ranoth ran out, and Taryn turned to Karia, taking her paw and kissing it. "Thank you for your hospitality, chieftain. May I taste it again soon." He turned and exited the tent, bushy tail twitching with excitement.

That Night

The five Jaela descended into the valley, silent as shadows. All carried light weaponry - daggers, scimitars, Raithe's shortbow - but no one carried a blade like Ayaz but Taryn.

Ranoth and Moran headed down towards the standing stones and the village, while Raithe and Darkai headed to the watchtower. Taryn simply knelt in the grass and watched, waiting to see what these outlanders were like.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

The Reynard Twins

"The strongest deterrent to a fight is a larger more powerful force" the Mercenary said stubbornly "That is a simple fact"

He stretched "Irregardless of your feelings, it is my mandate to meet the leaders of your people"

- SurlySeraph

10. - Top - End - #70

Ebon Hills
    - Main building

Kozz'haad thinks for a second. "Monthly...at what price?"
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2009-01-15 at 12:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Ebon Hills

"Well, how much do you have to offer?" she laughed "and what else do you make"

she eyed the ambassedor "We also barter unique items and creatures....are you willing to part with Dragons?"

- SurlySeraph

12. - Top - End - #72

Ebon Hills

Kozz'haad leans back, his face intent.

"We are willing to offer two hundred a month, and are prepared to bid extra if a buyer attempts to out-bid us. On the matter of Dragons...I assure you you would not find them very useful. We are barely able to train them, and they share a bond of kinship with us. However...we are prepared to loan you some dragons and riders. Five Wyverns or Drakes, three Savage Dragons, or two worms are our offer. Our final offer, on that respect, non-negotiable."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Ebon Hills

"Well, what is the difference between a worm and a Savage?"

- SurlySeraph

14. - Top - End - #74

Arriving in the cities of Agakaan

Attn: Pingcode

Only a few days apart small caravans arrive in the six cities of Agakaan, the men with the caravans are not typical Veiians. Being experienced surfacers their skin is not as pale and they are used to sunlight. Nor do they dress as Veiians.

Operating undercover and posing as traders from faraway surface lands they begin questioning goblin and gremlin traders and gunsmiths inquiring about the purchase of the legendary firearms produced in the cities.

They are willing to trade coin(once again from various surface realms) as well as stone and metal crafts in exchange for the weapons. They will try to purchase as many of the powerful weapons as possible without arousing too much suspicion.

15. - Top - End - #75

Ebon Hills
    -Main Building

Kozz'haad quirks an eyebrow at the uninformed aide.

"I'm surprised you don't know, but fine. I'll run through the various dragonkind types. Wyverns are primarily land based, and capable of breathing lightning. Drakes are excellent in the air, and can breathe ice. Savage Dragons are basically the dragons of myth, and breath fire. Finally, wurms are titanic beasts, and burrowers to boot, able to burrow through the ground."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Rivan Theocracy

"-An other one. 700 wounded and, from what we heard, about half that number of deads."
    "-From what you heard ? Haven't your brothers counted the bodies ?"
    "-We...that's... we didn't find any, Cardinal."

The village was in ruins, the templars of the Shield having only just finished to put the fire out. Whoever did that, they weren't goblins, that Monreskieu was sure of. None of these savage creatures could have coordinated such an assault without being detected by the templars. The alarm hadn't even been struck this night...

"-They can't be far away from here. I'm talking about the pillagers, of course. As for the bodies, keep searching. Tell the men not to venture away from the village alone."
    The Cardinal spoke his instructions like wise advises but the Archdeacon wasn't fooled : those were orders. Monreskieu didn't know the identity of the pillagers but all of this looked very familiar for him.

Ten years already. But he would remember that day all his life. The deserted village, with clear evidences of battle but no corpse. Not even one. Then suddenly, as he and the rest of his squad had reached the center of the village, THEY had burst from every houses : undeads. Mindless creatures who weren't even a challenge for him and his brothers but the fact that many of them were women and children had sent a cold chill down his spine, as well as a huge blow to his honor. It was only after the "children" had killed two templars and a few soldiers than he had waved away any doubt.

Was the same happening here, right now ? No, the village had been cleared and there were survivors. But none of them had seen the attackers.

"-Archdeacon Thomas, you are to secure the perimeter. Nobody get out of this village before tomorrow morning. I want a platoon ready to leave by dawn with the survivors and their belongings. We'll ask deacon Gregory if his folk can offer shelter and food to this poor souls."

"-And about the pillagers ?"
    "-As soon as the civilians are safe, we will go after them."
    Or after what they left behind... With a sad mood, Monreskieu looked around before walking to the local temple.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Longvine
    Surface Raids South & East

As the sun set beneath the horizon the raiders began to stir......

OOC: This is directed towards anyone who have tinysettlements close to the southern and eastern borders of the mountains. They aren't going after anything big or defended. Just small towns, farms and caravans.

The way I read it, the Veils have many raiding parties. I assumed that, as the Rivan Theocracy is set primary in a mountain area, the two nations will clash soon or later. So, the sooner the better, right ?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Ebon Hills

"Is it possible to take one wurm and two Dragons? If not I suppose I shall have to choose the two wurms." She grinned, showing off disturblingly pointed canines "They can see see something from the sky, but thinking that something could be directly under ones feet....that is a soldiers nightmare"

- SurlySeraph

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

That With No Role flitted across the world, its powerful wings carrying it across rivers and mountains. It rested intermittently, envious of the birds which wheeled overhead and could travel with barely a stroke of its wings, and on one such occasion fell asleep entirely, no sense of cover or position considered.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Just an attempted way to get Those in the Clouds into this fantastically deep story.

19. - Top - End - #79

Ebon Hills
    - Main Building

Kozz'haad shakes his head.

"No. We will not permit such a thing. You may have one Savage Dragon and one Wurm, or two Wurms. Take your pick."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Th Ebon Hills
    The Dhamphire paused, thinking then "Fine, we shall take one of each" she smiled her pointed smile "Perhaps we will divine a way to create them ourselves"

She pulls out a contract and jots down the changes. Then she signs it.

she offers the paper and pen to Kozz.

- SurlySeraph

21. - Top - End - #81

Ebon Hills
    - Main Building

Kozz'haad, taking the contract, reads it carefully for fine print or unacceptable conditions, nods, and then signs it. He withdraws a small circle of glass from his shirt, and runs it over the parchment.

"There. The contract has been said to King Zar. Your dragons should be here within a week. Additionally, with your permission I will be staying here in case of a bidding war to ensure our contract, as well as for the case of a contract renegotiation, should it come up."

22. - Top - End - #82

Agakaan
    Mercenary Business

"45 for the Veii. To sweeten the deal, let me bring something else to the table:"

Barak snapped his fingers, and his bodyguard produced a polished wooden case, which he laid on the table. Barak snapped open the locks, and opened it to reveal its padded interior to Julius.

Inside, was a single hand-firearm, inlaid with gold trim and set with a ruby at its tip. Along with it was a small case filled with small rubies - maybe thirty or forty of them in all.

"We can put you on the preferred buyers list for Ironhold Trading's hand-firearms, and sell ammunition for any weapons you might acquire."

He slid the case across the table.

"This first one, of course, will be free."

Trivia Time:
    Spoiler
    Show
    On Firearms:

Agakaan's famed firearms are as deadly as they are expensive. The great merchant houses all produce their own firearms, but have also realised the immense value an exclusive good is. As a result, by agreement, firearms are sold at a tremendously inflated price compared to their cost of manufacture.

For the most part, the workshops of the great merchant houses produce only hand-firearms in any saleable quantities, owing to a Council restriction on the sale of full-size firearms. While it is possible for firearms to be produced that do not require ammunition, the process is somewhat more expensive, and is available only by private commission.

The most popular form of firearm is comparable to a more deadly wand of scorching ray, although it is cheaper to fire than a wand.

A combination of these factors has meant that few militaries can afford firearms for all but their best officers, as a single hand-firearm could equip thirty to fifty men.

Raiding Problems

Small-Ear had a distinct sensation of being raised into the air, and waved his short arms and legs pathetically.

"Yes, yes, I think we have!"

Meanwhile, more guards were climbing onto the wagons to try and corner Nevan.

Veii goes shopping!

The Veii got few looks of suspicion as they bought the weapons, though each caravan found it difficult to buy more than a few each.

This was due to a number of important factors:

(1) - The Hand-Firearms available for sale were extremely expensive to begin with.
    (2) - Owing to their 'questioning foreigner' act, many of the goblins were cheating them at every turn. (You're still pretty sure there's no such thing as a 'Buying Firearms Without Wearing Goggles' tax.)
    (3) - Apparently, the good stuff was made on commission.
    (4) - Buying the more common goblin-sized weapons would have been suspicious.

In the end, they ended up with about 16 hand-firearms, about 500 tiny rubies, and empty pockets. Oh, and a nice ping-pong paddle.

A test firing showed them all to be one hundred percent the real thing, though, and they were pretty nicely made.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, the 'empty pockets' part is dependant on how much they actually brought.

But, like I said, they're pretty damn expensive without the right contacts.

Kazza'a'Hadar

Cartwheel sighed, and left the marketplace, none the wiser. There was really only one place left to go - for the city hall, to seek an audience with the Dragoran King.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-01-15 at 10:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Spoiler
    Show

@Pingcode:
    I'd just like to point out, the location of the capital city is a well guarded secret, and only the most trustworthy and proven non-dragorans are allowed to know its location. Also, that's where the Dragoran King lives. So...yeah.

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler
    Show
    Which explains precisely why Cartwheel has utterly failed to find it.

In his last post, he was still blundering about in a city near the outskirts of the mountains, trying to convince someone to take him there.

He's still trying.

The idea being that eventually he finds someone with enough authority to give him access to things available there.

(He would have met with the king, who was ready to receive visitors, if the capital was not so damn secret.)
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-01-15 at 08:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Ebon Hills
    The Damphire nodded "Very well" she rolled the contract and gave it to a warforged that had gone unnoticed, being as still as a statue "Argos will take you to your room"

Mercenary Business

Julius peered in the box and carefully lifted it out, examining it. "What exactly is it meant to be a preferred buyer" Julius glances up " Does that mean we get it for less, or that we get first pick"

- SurlySeraph

26. - Top - End - #86

EvilClericGuy

Jeial, City 1, Underground

The sleep cycle of the Duergar still matched the length of the day. The concept of "day" however had long ago passed out of there language. Now it was back, thanks to the goblins whose magic and technology had finally allowed them to assimilate the other tribes and conquer the wilderness. He himself had been born of a peace union between the races with, obviously, the help of the Grund's "unique" magic, that of combining traits from one separate living things into one. Scouts had reported strange activity near the city of shadows and he had dispatched a team to investigate. They knew of the Veii but did not really Know the Veii. Mean while a mining expedition had found something most unusual in the far reaches. An abandon mining shaft, but not one of theres, stranger still was that the shaft came from the "surface" a word that until a century and a half ago had been alien to the Grund. A team composed of goblins had been sent to investigate. Well, not entirely of goblins, a single Grundish scientist had been sent with them . Dark only knew what they would find .

Spoiler
    Show
    I have to log off for the night. the mine shaft comes from Armalen in case you wondered
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Raiding Problems

The creature holding Small-Ear turned him and gave him a grin. That is to say, his lips were curled back and his fangs were showing. The creature was vaguely human, but had grey fur and long lupine ears, not to mention bestial eyes and long claws.

"Now, you are the leader, yes? Now, as leader to leader, I think we can discuss things. One of my friends is dead, and the other is close. I'm angry, but willing to trade."

Meanwhile, Nevan continued to lead them on a merry chase, but he was ready to dive into a wagon if necessary...

The Reynard Twins

The two Jaela exchange glances, before the male breaks into hysterical laughter. "The leaders of the Jaela? The leaders?"

Rhysanon looks a bit embarrassed, but she tries to explain. "The Jaela Tribes have one leader, and many leaders. It would take you months to speak with all the chieftains, but..." She looks a bit uncomfortable. "Must you speak with our leader, or with one of her trusted servants? As strange as it may seem, my brother and I may speak with the authority of the Talin Gythaint. It may take her over a week to find you if you must speak with her..."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

28. - Top - End - #88

Agakaan
    Mercenary Business

"As I'm sure you're aware, the knowhow to build firearms is a well-kept secret of the gremlins, and as a result, firearms sized for people as large as you and me are harder to make - that's why most of our guards and soldiers are goblins and gremlins."

"As a result, we don't produce a lot of weapons that are big enough for anyone but goblins to use. As a preferred buyer, we will establish an office here where you and your troops can place orders for hand-firearms and ammunition, which we will build and ship to you at a discount."

Normally, it would be impossible to even place orders for human-sized firearms with an Agakaan Merchant House - it just wasn't worth turning workshops over.

29. - Top - End - #89

Veii goes shopping

The Veiians were alittle disappointed with their purchases having hoped to get larger numbers of the weapons. They expected the goblins to try to cheat but not that much, filthy creatures.

Departing the cities they returned the way they came back to the mountains. The weapons would be studied by the wizards to see what made them tick and how they could be countered. Goblins did not deserve such toys. In the meantime, spies would be distributed to the Goblin cities to learn as much as they can about the making of the weapons and this Goblin "government"

Raids!

@Johel

OOC: Excellent. Let's get the ball rolling

IC: The raiding party held their bloody swords up high upon their return to the outpost. They had struck first blood amongst all the groups for this season, it was one of the greatest honors that could be imparted upon a Veiian. It was already a good start to this year's activity, like most surface humans they rarely took to heart the lessons of their ancestors and still ventured forth to the mountains unprotected. Now they were reaping the price of their ignorance to history.

Nightly parties will continue to ride out and bring death to the human lands over the coming weeks. It will be like it always has been, those who survive will lose heart and retreat back to the cities in which they came and within a few years time their foolishness will bring them back to the mountain's edge in search of riches.

Watching the Watchers

@Kopout

Few things passed the notice of the Wizards of Veii and curious parties poking around the tunnels leading to the city was not one of them. The strange Dwarf-like creatures known as the "Grund" have been proving to be a little too curious and reports have surfaced they have been delving closer and closer to Veii and its outlying holdings.

With the reports of these creatures getting closer, a patrol is tasked with following them at a safe distance. They are ordered not to make contact unless the Grund are foolish enough to attempt to enter a Veiian outpost or worse pierce into the shadow veil and try to find Veii itself.

30. - Top - End - #90

Agakaan
    Small-Ear

"Fine, fine. What is it that you want?"

Small-Ear stopped struggling, and sighed, snapping his fingers and gesturing at the surrendered Jaelan, saying something in machinegun goblin.

The guards yelled at her in goblin, and made motions for her to stand, and was brought over to the one who had their boss. As they made their way over, one or two of the guards began aiming at the one which had their boss.

Veii and Firearms

The Veiian Wizards would be occupied for years by the question of the Goblin Firearms. The best their examinations could discover was that:

1. One of the rubies is put into the firearm.
    2. When the trigger is pulled, the ruby is converted somehow into magical energy.
    3. The device somehow converts this into a deadly ray with a series of gemstones, culminating in the one in the front.

They also discovered that it almost completely obsoletes the use of armour - it simply burns right through, no matter how powerfully enchanted the armour is.

On a temporary basis, dispelling magics would work to render the weapon useless for a few seconds, but on the whole such a solution was about as helpful as knowing that using dispelling magics on a magic sword would render them useless for a few seconds.

The Spies, on the other hand, were able to find out some interesting information - nothing particularly useful, however.

Agakaan is ruled by a council comprised of representatives from each city making up the Federation, along with representatives from various 'Tribes'. The councillors meet once a month to discuss issues in the federation, and vote on various binding resolutions that affect the entire Federation. However, outside of council rulings, the city states and tribes are highly autonomous, and maintain their own armies.

The goblin police force is highly disciplined and efficient, and crime within the cities is difficult - especially in the merchant's districts. The goblins appear to realise how important their firearms are to their status as a world power, and their manufacturing facilities are tightly secured - moreso than even the banks. As a result, attempts to penetrate the workshops have so far been entirely unsuccessful.

The last tidbit of information is a certain goblin by the name of Stripe, who appears to carry a lot of regard in Agakaan.

Spoiler
    Show
    After all, having firearms and being able to field them is part of Agakaan's outstanding advantage! It's not going to be at all easy to try and level the playing field on that point.