New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Test Your Might 6

*shrug* Wouldn't have helped. He'd have taken no real damage without the flames. Next round would've been move outside the field and teleport away.

As for disjunction, Void Palm can null it. Every use of that is precious, though. I had to use one of my sparing two per day to stop that greater dispel from breaking my defenses.

Other than that tactical no-go, thoughts?
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-17 at 08:48 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, shame on me. Doh. Getting one on my new caster, so look out world!

EDIT:
    And no, at work, I don't have access to Crystalkeep or d20srd. Stupid Websense software blocks it, and the wizards website. Only when I'm home in the evenings do I get to it.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-01-17 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Not to mention, "currently invisible" does hardly highly magical make. After the first couple of rounds, yes it would have been more viable, but not to cut him off in the air, for example.

I'll have to remember that true seeing getting jiggered by gloves of storing bit. Now that was fun.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    *shrug* Wouldn't have helped. He'd have taken no real damage without the flames. Next round would've been move outside the field and teleport away.
    The attacker is outside the AMF so he'd be fine. Also, unless I'm missing something, taking his HP in nonlethal would still knock him unconscious.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you
    The caster is within the emanation by virtue of its creation. And magic that enters the antimagic field fails. If Dandag is within the field, then weapons striking him must also enter the field.

And yes, taking down his hp with nonlethal damage will drive him unconscious.

But again, frankly, if you're going to seriously consider disjunction in the first round as a tactic against a magic item-loaded adversary, then you have no business playing D&D.

Keld: I have chosen your adversaries. This one could be a hell of a battle. There will be bleeding. Your party will be miserable and wounded.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-17 at 09:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Disjunction usually falls under the gentleman's agreement whenever I play. DMs don't use it, and I won't use it. Same thing with tricked out Holy Words. Nobody likes an irresistable IWIN button...

7. - Top - End - #157

Not first round. But round 4-5 when it's clear that things aren't getting done otherwise (like in this fight)... Same with an AMF; it's a tactic for when others don't work. Hence the scrolls rather than prepared slots.

And as long as a part of the weapon is outside the AMF square, it retains its magical qualities so it should work just fine. That's how it works with larger creatures too, after all; they're only affected if all their squares are covered by the AMF.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Ah; now holy word would work on him. It's a spread, so it can't be stopped by Void Palm.

Edit: Eldariel, I concur that it would have been a decent plan at that point, except that he was flying. My point was that to deliver AMF against him, someone would have to take a plunge.

What I had hoped was to use timelost plunge against Liam when he was carrying the two casters, pushing him outside of time and dropping them to the ground. Would have been hilarious.

Via RAW that's likely accurate; however, I picture a flaming sword descending into the AMF bubble and I don't see its fire sticking around. I could understand if the enhancement bonus remained, but special abilities should be nulled because they're a function of the striking portion. Similarly, if a dragon's head was inside AMF but the rest of it was outside, I'd still rule that its breath would fail.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-17 at 09:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

BEHOLD!

A CASTER INFINITELY MORE ANNOYING THAN ISSENDIR!

Thou haste brought this upon yourself!

PS, I'm off to dinner. Provided my internet isn't craptactular, we'll play tonight. Otherwise, tomorrow morning, its on like DONKEY KONG!
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-01-17 at 09:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

You'll need to allow me to view it.

And I'm not worried about your pathetic rebel band. I have... terrible news for you.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Oh goodie? FEAR MY MELFS UNICORN ARROWS!!!! RAWR!!!!

Should be public now. Linky if the old one doesn't work.

Also, my Bardblade performs a little lacklustery...I probably should have gone Bard8/Mindbender1/Virt1/Sublime Chord1 instead. Oh well.

12. - Top - End - #162

AMF is dismissable so you could cast AMF, then drop with the damn thing (just time the attack so that it's coterminous with the activation of the AMF; the way D&D handles movement is of course a bit silly so it'd be up there whole turn for the team to beat up before it gets its turn and starts falling). But yea, having a Scroll of AMF is always a fine plan (even better if you have a plan of how to use it), since it's a pretty solid "catch all"-effect, and indeed the only one that works for some opponents.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Final question, Keld:

Surprise opponents again, or shall I hand you the dossier?

Does the thrill of the unknown again tempt you?

EDIT: Melf's Unicorn Arrow? Where is that from?
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-17 at 10:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Does the thrill of the unknown again tempt you?
    OMG YES! I NEED MY FIX! GIVE IT TO ME! GIVE IT TO ME! I'M JONEZIN FOR IT!!!

/shakes uncontrollably

Is this the single CR17? Or an EL17 comprised of multiple foes?

EDIT: its in PHBII. Force spell, does minor damage, but it BULLRUSHES A MOFO! I'M IN YOUR GRILLZ, PUSHIN YOU AROUND!
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-01-17 at 10:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

You asked for multiple, so it's going to be multiple. So very multiple...

Why are they not putting those in the SC? Tremendously tedious, searching other books for them.

Oh well. I think it'll be an interesting battle.

Let me know when you're ready.

I'm going to try using a monitored coordinate grid this time; I won't keep posting it, because one of the adversaries will be bulky, but I'll have a visual reference to answer from.

EDIT: Now I'm curious; why didn't you take the feat to use sonic damage with Dragonfire Inspiration instead of fire damage?
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-17 at 10:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Now I'm curious; why didn't you take the feat to use sonic damage with Dragonfire Inspiration instead of fire damage?
    Because if you look really closely at the feat, Draconic Heritage, it requires an 11 cha, and 1 FREAKIN LEVEL OF SORCERERERERERERERERERERERER!!!! Lameo if you ask me. The only other way to get it is the 1/2 dragon template, which is even worse.

Anyway, I'm home, and my internetz are lookin pretty stable. Go ahead and lay it on me! And number both axises of the combat.

Is this gonna be a 3D battle as well? I'd rather it not be...the last one was hella confusing...

And if you could lable both axes, that would make it a lot easier to move and to target spells. This guy uses a lot of AoEs with longer than instantaneous durations...It can be a little....trying at times...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

As I said, I'll do up the initial grid, but I won't be updating it on the forum end unless it becomes truly necessary - one of the enemies is big, which is always irritating.

However, I don't think any of them fly, so...

Here we go!