New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

furious Had an arguement

I had a fight with a friend irl, about the only one I talk to since I moved. We were having a debate on the digital conversion and he said he was tired of me taking apart the points of his arguement, and that was such a "democrat thing to do". I told him thats the point of debate, and he said it doesnt matter if every point of his arguement is flawed, his arguement is still valid. He said he wanted to argue, I asked should I attack him instead. Not sure why I'm telling this here, just need to talk I guess.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Had an arguement

Awww .

Arguing with friends sucks. Talking about is a good catharsis, though. I hope you and your friend don't fall out.
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, as warped as it is, he might have a point. The theory, or backing of an argument may be sound when each of the component points individually can be dismissed.

That said, it sounds like he just wanted to argue, and you didn't want that.

Perhaps branch out? Join a club, talk to a stranger, try something new?
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

this reminds me of a story of my youth. once when my paw was away on a cattle drive, an old yeller dog visited my family uninvited. i tried to shoo the dog away, but my little brother immediately took to it. my ma interfered, reasoning that the family could use a good dog. though i initially loathed the rascal, as i called the dog, and tried to get rid of it, the dog eventually proved his worth, saving me, my brother and the family on several occasions. i grew to love that dog. one day, the rightful owner of the yellow dog showed up looking for his dog. well, my little brother didn't quite like that and he threw a fit, but the owner recognized that my family needed and had become attached to the dog so he traded the mutt for some stew and biscuits. well eventually, the dog developed rabies after being bitten while defending my family from a rabid wolf. to protect my family, i tearfully shot that dog, my best friend and learned a valuable lesson about life and what it means to be a man

my point is this, kris strife. if there is one thing to take away from this lesson it is that there are three types of people in this world. there are those that understand reason and logic, those that cling stubbornly to whatever schema makes their world rational, and those that will try to get you to read a summary of old yeller.
    Last edited by reorith; 2009-01-24 at 04:26 AM. Reason: lol grammar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    I had a fight with a friend irl, about the only one I talk to since I moved. We were having a debate on the digital conversion and he said he was tired of me taking apart the points of his arguement, and that was such a "democrat thing to do". I told him thats the point of debate, and he said it doesnt matter if every point of his arguement is flawed, his arguement is still valid. He said he wanted to argue, I asked should I attack him instead. Not sure why I'm telling this here, just need to talk I guess.
    you should both take a course on logic.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by reorith View Post
    and those that will try to get you to read a summary of old yeller.
    Oh, is that what that story's about? All I knew was "a kid had to shoot a dog, and he cried a lot".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

You are starting to fall into the ad hominem logical fallacy since you are asking whether to attack you friend, rather than his points.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin 89 View Post
    You are starting to fall into the ad hominem logical fallacy since you are asking whether to attack you friend, rather than his points.
    Please note, he complained and belittled me for attacking his arguement.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Please note, he complained and belittled me for attacking his argument.
    Yes I understand that point, but your friend fails logic forever, since he performed an ad hominem by belittling you, rather than trying to refute your point with evidence.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2009-01-24 at 09:14 AM.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just curious on why there was an argument about the digital conversion.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, your friend does not know how to have a productive argument. He's learned how to "argue" from angry people on TV, I'm betting, where it devolves into personal insults and lacks any sort of productivity. Apparently some people like that? However, for me, there's no point in having an argument/discussion unless you are going to find some common ground or at least gain a better understanding of why your opponent holds said view. If some of their points are wrong, that may mean that their entire argument isn't, but they should be able to concede that and strengthen their other points! If all of their points are wrong, well, then so is their argument (most likely- or else they just aren't familiar with any good way of supporting it).

Some people are just antagonistic. If you do not enjoy angry, nonproductive conversations, don't let them drag you into arguments. Easier said than done, I know, but that's how things go...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dont mean to offend anyone here but it seems like there are no details of this incident, or how im supposed to react. The post, im contacting, so i feel sympethy towards him. For all i know his friend could be the PsychoGM but for some reason im compelled to ask why?

Talking is always good, i assume the arguement became heated and dangerous. Sounds like someone i know, with these people, just let them win the arguement, concede. It is very hard to do but do it. It allows 2 things, 1 if he wants to continue arguing, he wants to argue for the sake of arguing, and 2 if he doesn't he simply wanted you to recognise his intellect (even if its not all there ). Make him feel good, if you don't there is a high chance you will loose him.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."