New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Hyman Experiment

"Tin foil hats," Schnepp chuckled as he got out a bowl. "For the record, I didn't have any recordable dreams last night. Wonder why that was."
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Due to a combination of RL time crunch (wooot, 20 hours of classes!) and GitP software pissing me off, I'm gunna have to drop this.

Spencer's room was locked in the morning. No sound came from the inside. Once someone forced themselves inside they noticed that Spencer wasn't breathing. Next to him was an open bottle of pain pills. He was quite dead.
    Spoiler
    Show

Or something like that, anyways
    Last edited by archerpwr; 2009-01-30 at 10:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

"Alright guys" Aaron finished his breakfast and washed his bowl. "I'm heading outside, I definately overslept with that odd dream. If anyone needs me I'll be out in the yard." With that he headed out into the yard and began his workout.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As usual, Allan had risen earlier than almost everyone else, although some of the military types seemed to have been up early. He woke up surprisingly tired and with a headache, but he chalked that up to simple fatigue; that sort of thing had happened to him before. After quietly shaving and taking a shower, he felt a little better.

Since whenever he wasn't working he preferred to eat one large meal at about midday as opposed to eating breakfast, he didn't even stop at the kitchen, and instead decided to walk the grounds for a bit to clear his head. He stayed outside for a surprisingly long period of time -- even for him -- and returned closer to 10 am local time.

OOC - Allan will return at about the time we discover the body ...

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

William decided to forgo more conversation in favor of exploring the house. He excused himself and went to investigate the house. He decided eventually to go check on that basement door, see how good it was and play around at opening it for a little bit before wandering off and eventually finding himself in the library, running his hands over the spines of some books searching for one that jumps out at him.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Halfling in the Playground

OOC: You might already noticed what I wrote in the OOC-thread, Daimbert, but I've decided that instead of commiting suicide Spencer will become a (barely noticable) NPC since him dying (at this stage anyway ) would mess things a bit too much.
    ------

As Aaron ventured outside for his workout he didn't notice anything special. The garden in front of the house was rather ordinary, at least for a house of this size, and contained pretty much what was to be expected. A few trees, bushes, withered flower beds and the like. All rather well kept although mostly leaf-less because of the reasons. The sun was shining brightly without much clouds in the way.

Like the garden, the library contained what was to be expected and nothing really jumped out at William at first. After looking for a while though, he noticed a small-ish book that caught his attention for the name if for nothing else. The History of the Hyman Foundation by Walter Hyman, PhD.
    Last edited by Lykainon; 2009-01-31 at 02:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Aaron finished off his workout and headed back inside to shower. He tidied up the bathroom after he was finished and headed back to his room to change. After quickly sliding into his jeans and shirt Aaron wondered what the hell he was going to do. He left his room and started downstairs when he caught sight of the library door opened. He took a quick peek inside and spotted William flipping through the shelves. "Hey," Aaron said, getting his attention, "I know it's a little early for it but I was thinking of hunting down a board game or a deck of cards and some booze. We could get everyone playing and get drunk and get to know each other a little better. Plus it's a good way to kill the day." Aaron grinned, "Unless that Spencer kid gets to us first"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Corey was walking down the hall when he heard Aaron talking to William.
    "I've got a few decks of cards if you guys are looking to play.
    Corey says, his hair still damp from the shower.
    And it's never to early in the day to drink someone else's booze.
    He adds with a grin.

9. - Top - End - #159

"Yeah, your telling me!" William said, agreeing with Aaron and pulling out the book he spotted. "I don't know, guys, maybe i'll catch up with you later. I was pretty bored, but this-" He said, holding up the book so they could see the title, "-looks like an interesting read while we're here. Shouldn't take me too long, I'll join up later. Watch out for Spencer." He warned with a chuckle.

He flipped though the book quickly to see how many pages it was. He doubted it was 200 or less, but he could finish that in an hour. It did look like a medical text though, and those were usually pretty thick.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

"Sounds good." Aaron read the book's title. "Hmm...let us know if you find anything interesting in that. I want to know if the good Dr. plans on going all Frankenstein on us" with that he left with Corey to grab the cards and find the others.
    "grab the cards, I'll meet you downstairs and scrounge us up a couple of drinks." Aaron headed downstairs and got the drinks ready at the dining room table, then went outside for a quick smoke.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Only now did Edward notice the tipped over table. Since he'd exited the house through the front door for his walk and re-entered through the back into the kitchen, he hadn't had to pass through the dining room. Wondering what had happened, he set to work putting the table back upright. As he did so he noticed how heavy it was. Even considering the fact that it was easier to topple it than to put it back up, it was strange that anyone had taken the trouble to do so. He could only imagine the military men being capable of doing it in a feat of anger or frustration, anyone else wouldn't bother unless they had a very specific reason to. That brought him onto a new line of thinking: this could be part of the experiment. Maybe someone wanted to see how they'd react.

Off course, there was only one way to find out who did this. Edward presumed that whomever was responsible would do so again in the future. Whatever this was, it wasn't an isolated action. He'd have to bug the room. In fact, he'd have to bug all the rooms, since he couldn't predict where they'd strike next. Sure, the people from Hyman would see him bug the rooms on their cameras, but they hadn't said that wasn't allowed, and if the cameras were removed he'd know they were the ones behind the table tipping and whatever other incidents were to follow. None of his fellow contestants, or whatever they were, would even know about the bugs. Plus, he'd be able to keep an eye on that Spencer type, in case he did anything stupid.

Edward returned to his room, picked up some microphones and cameras and a pack of chewing gum. He then proceeded to stick the equipment in places where they wouldn't be seen with the gum, preferably under the actual cameras used by Hyman, or near them. He also place the cameras in whichever rooms that were being used, but hadn't been locked. He'd continue until he'd bugged the entire house, but he wouldn't be obvious about it. He'd take breaks to do other stuff when he met people. He'd always have a reason for being where-ever he was. He was picking up a book from his room, not snooping around upstairs, he was checking out the second bathroom, not trying to get into someone's room, he was getting a snack, not bugging the kitchen. You get the idea. He'd have full live vision of every inch of the house by tonight. Edward doubted he would even sleep. He'd probably just watch the cameras instead, with some music in the background.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-02-02 at 07:28 AM.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think William already righted the table.

and my room's locked, I don't trust you people.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

-OOC yeah I righted the table too, heh, now we're just screwing with each other.-
    Aaron finished off his smoke and headed back inside the house. He moved into the room with the table that may or may not have been uprighted (depending on who you talk to I guess, LOL) and started on his drink, hailing any who walk by to have a drink and play some cards.

14. - Top - End - #164

William just sat down and started reading that book quickly using his amazing skills and wondered if someone kept coming in and turning the table back over every time someone fixed it.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Corey walks in with a deck of cards, grabs himself a bottle of rum (whiskey's good, but I like a bit of variety) and sits at the thrice-righted table with Aaron and whoever is there.
    "So, what are we playing gentlemen?"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Eddy, my boy, you're going to be vewwy, vewwy sowwy you bugged my room... You're going to see things. Things you don't want to see. Things that come to mind when I say the following: "I have twenty gigs of pr0n on my computer and it's been damn near a year since I've seen a female."
    Heheheheh.

Quote Originally Posted by sidhe_blooded View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think William already righted the table.

and my room's locked, I don't trust you people.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You should just do what I do, and rig up some kind of semi-lethal trap in your room while you're actually sleeping suspended in a tree three blocks down with still more traps around your sleeping area jam a chair under the doorknob. Locks can be picked.

Schnepp, not particularly the sociable type, instead retreated to his room and started hooking up his laptop to resume typing away at the story he'd always meant to finish. Or start. Or revise. He wasn't entirely certain where he was with it, exactly. As he went about that, he was running a checklist in the back of his mind about duties that'd need to get done. Regardless of what some of these hot-blooded civilians thought, having a large group of males living in a small area like this was going to result in some seriously nasty conditions if they didn't work to maintain hygiene, both personal and for their AOs.
    Let the paranoids bug all they wanted. He had nothing to hide, as evinced by the fact that he'd yet to go a field exercise without getting nekkid somewhere he shouldn't.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I do have a chair under the doorknob when I'm in there, that doesn't work if I'm out of the room though.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I do have a chair under the doorknob when I'm in there, that doesn't work if I'm out of the room though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It does if you've advanced in enough levels of ninja.

Currently Playing

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It does if you've advanced in enough levels of ninja.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a 6'8" 300 pound celtic guy that can fight with a caber and use a claymore one handed, ninjas are sissies.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward had learnt how to pick a lock on the internet, so he eventually got into every one of the rooms. It seemed no-one had thought of bringing a padlock like he had. That was good news. Anyone with a padlock on their door could probably not be trusted. Except him, of course.

Edward tested out the network briefly and then headed back downstairs where he toasted himself some bread with cheese and ham on it and then headed to the dining room to join the cardgame.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Allan returned between 10:30 and 11. His headache was quite a bit better, and he figured that some food and maybe a nap would work wonders. He heard that people were moving around and playing various games. He checked what was available in the kitchen. He boiled some pasta, sprinkled it liberally with parmesan cheese, ate relatively quickly, and returned to his room to read and maybe take a nap.

He could have cooked something else, but he figured that it would take more effort than he would have liked.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devon

Finally waking up for the day, Devon decides to check out the so called game room and se if it's up to his level of par.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if anyone already mentioned this, but I've been having forum problems and I wanted to post before I spent time reading the last few posts.
    All glory to Vrythas in regards to my snazzy AD&D Game Master avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reserve AD&D Game Master avatar by wxdruid

Oh star fall down on me
    Let me make a wish upon you
    Hold on, let me think
    Think of what I'm wishing for

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Corey walks in with a deck of cards, grabs himself a bottle of rum (whiskey's good, but I like a bit of variety) and sits at the thrice-righted table with Aaron and whoever is there.
    "So, what are we playing gentlemen?"
    "We could play poker, if we're going for the real classics, but you really should play that game with bets. Otherwise, well, except blackjack each and every cardgame I know has a Dutch name. They probably have English equivalents, but you'll have to explain the games to me anyways so I'll know which ones they are. Ehm. Right"

Edward took a huge bite out of his croque, just to stop people staring at him. He then realised that the size of bites he took would probably only make things worse. He held his hand in front of his mouth and bit on his cheek in confusion.
    "Mmm, ouch, this is, ehm, good stuff"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh, I expect we'll be betting, although until I get payed here I don't actually have much money. Poker covers more than one game I'm afraid, perhaps you could narrow it down a bit?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

"I mean Texas Hold 'Em" Edward said, slightly surprised. He knew there were several versions of poker, but he'd always played the same version. Not by choice, just because that was the version everyone happened to know.
    "I'm fine playing any other kind though, or any other other game for that matter"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

"Hold 'em works for me if everyone knows how to play, although I prefer 5 card draw."

27. - Top - End - #177

William moved in closer with the group and had a seat nearby to periodically watch the game while he read the book, flipping it back open to his place once he sat down. He nodded at the rest and checked the amount of pages again before starting to read once more.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

"I'm a fan of texas hold em myself guys and as for bets we could work on a chit system and pay up when we get paid." Aaron cracked his 3rd beer and took a gulp. " of course I'm always up for 'go fish' "

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

"Any variety is fine by me"