New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default The Hyman Experiment

OOC: And we're on. I encourage you to, if you haven't already, read through the info on rules and characters I posted in the OOC-thread to refresh your memory before posting.
    Now just be yourselves and have fun!

-----------

When the various members of the group arrived to Ireland, each of them were met by dark limousine. The driver asked them to place their luggage in the back and get in. After a long drive with a very silent chauffeur, everyone arrived at Donahue House at about the same time.

As the group walked through the doors they entered a rather huge hallway. It's interior would certainly fit into any movie about a 19th century aristocrat. The walls were covered by various expensive-looking paintings, the stairways, leading both up and down, were decorated in extravagant baroque style.

In the center of the room a man awaited them. He looked to be in his mid to late forties, was rather overweight without being downright fat, wore glasses and tried to hide his balding head under a rather aweful comb-over.

"Welcome, everyone." He smiled and greeted the new arrivals. "My name is Dr. Hugh Wilson and let me express my gratitude for your choice to participate in this experiment. Although I won't get into details, your contribution could lead to major breakthroughs down the road."

Dr. Wilson walked over and started shaking everyone's hands in turn as he kept speaking. "Now, I'm sure you're hungry after your long trip and a, I assure you, most delicious meal awaits you in the dining room. Before you eat though, I'd like to go over a few of the rules if you haven't read them on our homepage."

"First of all, and perhaps most importantly, it is imperative that all of you remain in the area for the entire time as well as avoiding outside contact. The experiment centers on the effects on the interactions between virtual strangers in a confined space. Now, I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you. The Donahue House has a range of modern conveniences as well as several things to pass the time."

"You will notice that there aren't any phones in the house and neither will your cell phones work in the area. Nor is there any possibility to connect to the internet, either wireless or by cable. Should there be any emergency we will see it through the cameras and alert the proper authorities as well as help you ourselves. Now, if any of you have brought any satellite phones or similar devices I must ask you to turn them over or risk your monetary compensation."

"Most of your time here will be your own to spend, although we naturally encourage you to spend it at least partly interacting with each other, and it'll probably feel like a very well paid vacation. Now and again we will arrange special exercises to aid our experiments in which case I will join you in person with instructions. These excercises are mandatory but shouldn't take up too much of your time."

"Apart from this first meal, you will prepare you own food, either separately or together. Supplies will be delivered twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, and if you have any special requests just say them into the camera and we will do our best to fulfill it. Drinking alcohol is allowed as long as you are of legal age, which is eighteen here in Ireland, and behave reasonably well."

"Although the house is rather big I'm sure you'll find that it's rather easy to find your way around. The kitchen and dining room are to my left, your bedrooms are upstairs and bathrooms and entertainment areas are scattered all over the house. You are permitted to walk in the garden but do not stride to far from the house, the large fence should give you a good idea of where to stop. Other than that, the only area that is off-limits is the basement where myself and my colleagues will be."

"As you already know, you will be observed by cameras at all times. They are fairly noticeable but I urge you not to try to hide from them, such behavior could cost you the money. The only areas not covered by the cameras are the bathrooms for obvious reasons. Keep in mind that the film will only be observed by a team of professionals and never be available to the public so don't be shy."

After his long monologue Dr. Wilson paused for a while, seemingly to catch his breath, before adding: "Hmm... I think that's it. Are there any questions you want to ask me before you get a good meal while I go back to work?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The Hyman Experiment

((OOC: Very sorry, but I have to bow out of this one :( My life is too busy at the moment to sustain another campaign.))

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Fruitless attempts to chat with the driver had sort of ruined his mood. Edward had been alone long enough on the plane, as he'd been stuck between an eldery woman who wanted to sleep and a fairly young men who'd wanted to get some work done on his laptop. So he'd spent his time reading one of his precious Terry Pratchett books, which he'd taken out of his luggage for the flight.

Upon entering the house and meeting the other contestants, Edward was sort of surprised and dissapointed. They were all young to middle-aged men, clearly the target group of this particular research. The lack of internet was even more disturbing. He hadn't brought nearly enough Pratchett books to fill in all that time, and he'd get behind on the games he was playing online. Then he remembered the money and was reminded of what was described as a delicious meal.

Always look on the bright side, Edward. It's just a month, and you'll probably make lots of friends. Unless they're obnoxious people. They're probably not though. That guy over there is wearing a pretty cool shirt actually.

"I've, eh, I've got a question. I was wondering, what is it exactly you're researching here? I mean, ehrm, why are we here? If it's okay that I ask that, I mean... yeah"
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-01-18 at 02:19 PM.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

4. - Top - End - #4

"Ah, yes." Said Dr. Wilson. "The research. I won't get into the details because we frankly don't have the time but in essence it's a study of how strangers placed together in a limited space interact and react to each others presence. The results could be applied to a multitude of areas but some prominent examples are soldiers living together in a war zone, patients sharing rooms at the hospital and the staff of just about any workplace."

He started to cough and mumbled an excuse. Half a minute later he resumed his explanation. "Now, that's only the main research topic. With a major project like this we always conduct minor studies as well. Since those are planned by individual scientists I'm not sure on the details of all of them but it includes topics such as the effects of isolation from the outside world, conflict management and similar things."

"If you're interested in our research, Mr. Nigma, we'll be happy to send you a copy of the finished project report in six months or so. Naturally, this applies to any one of you who might be interested."

5. - Top - End - #5

"I'd be interested." Devon said. He glanced at the man who spoke first, and thought he saw a familiar looking book sticking out of his pocket. Maybe this won't be so bad after all. He thought, and smiled to hide his nervousness.
    All glory to Vrythas in regards to my snazzy AD&D Game Master avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reserve AD&D Game Master avatar by wxdruid

Oh star fall down on me
    Let me make a wish upon you
    Hold on, let me think
    Think of what I'm wishing for

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Aaron was tired and irritated well before he stepped off the plane. He was not a social animal and 20 minutes of constantly being surrounded by people was usually enough for him, let alone the last several hours it took to get here. The beers he had at high altitude helped calm the irritation a bit and the new scenery was great. The ride to the house had been comfortable and the emerald isle was just as beautiful as he had been told. Aaron half paided attention to Dr. Wilson as he droned on. The entire time scanning the area and his new roommates. He took note of a smaller man with a moustache and a military look about him, and the kid with the Indiana Jones hat standing beside the military mario guy.
    Aaron turned his attention to the question one man had just asked Dr. Wilson.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, yeah. Yeah, that sounds good" Edward said, nodding.
    "Yeah"
    He smiled for good measure.

Well, the man hadn't actually explained anything specific, but in this context it did make sense that they were all male. Strange though, why pick out ordinary people and not actual soldiers? Didn't that sort of stuff affect the research? Well, Edward just assumed science had &@#§ed up once more. They'd probably be doing a test with only soldiers in a year or so, when they realised that would have been a better idea. Still, he sort of kept wondering how they could have overlooked that.

Right, he was ready to move on to dinner now. he couldn't really think of anything relevant to ask. Plus, he was starving. Airline food wasn't by far enough to still his apetite.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

While the flight hadn't been especially pleasant, Corey had been on worse. He was a little jet-lagged and more than a little hungry after the trip though. He perked up a bit when he heard that a meal had been prepared for them, but wasn't so happy to hear about the internet not working.
    "These supplies you mentioned, do you guys pay for them or do we buy our own stuff?
    He asked the man who had been explaining things to them. He then turned to the others who he would be living with.
    "My name's Corey, who might you fine folks be?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm Edward" Edward said, glad to be getting acquainted. He shook Corey's hand and gave everyone else a nod.
    He wondered if they'd all have their own bedrooms or if they'd have to share with other people, but didn't ask Dr. Wilson as they'd probably notice later on.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"Spencer," the young man who has been largely blending into the background says firmly. Dusting off his hands, Spencer addresses the good doctor, "And now for a few questions of my own. A, can we get things delivered? The three books on my hard drive need companions. Notably I'd like hard copies of The Art of War, The Emperor's Handbook, and The Bible. B, how good is the exercise equipment in this house? I'd like to get in a bit better shape and since I can't leave the house I'd like to keep fit. C, where are the women? Am I seriously going to spend a month without eye candy? D, normally underaged people can get alcohol if they want it. In the US, for instance, it is perfectly acceptable to drink in the presence of your family. Alcohol laws are laughable. Why is the young man over there not old enough to drink and I am?"

No women, but that guy over there looks like he may be able to get me in better shape. Hope none of these people get in my way.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

William cast an annoyed glance at that Spencer kid, sure, if you could get by the age limit do so but don't spread it around. He adjusted his hat, and went over close by to Dr. Wilson. "Yeah... I'd like one of them too." The guy said, a little lower then normal speaking voice, and then nodded at the rest of the people gathered.

"William." He stated, then rolled his shoulders a little. William was pretty pissed about there not being any internet, or not being able to call out. Sure, he should have expected it that way, but... Oh well, good food, and that paycheck should sure make him happy. Be easier money then going on Amazing Race Road Rules Challenge or doing actual work or something. With a quick glance around, he decided to go into the other room. You know, the one with the food.

12. - Top - End - #12

"We will naturally pay for all supplies, you are here for our benefit, after all." Dr. Wilson replied and barely had time to catch his breath before Spencer's rapid row of questions.

"Well, Mr. Spencer" Dr. Wilson began, trying to sort out the questions in his head before continuing. "We haven't planned to get anything delivered for you but I'll look into it. Until then, I suggest you look through the library, it's quite extensive. As for exercising, we have some basic gym equipment in a room upstairs but I'm afraid it's nothing fancy. As for women... well, I'm not quite sure myself. You were all selected randomly by a computer, taking no account for gender. I realize myself that the odds for this happening must be minimal but in order for our experiment to work we couldn't change the computer's decision as the people involved are supposed to be completely random. The only criteria we entered was some basic knowledge of English since you needed a common language."

He stopped for moment to catch his breath and wipe his forehead. "I'm afraid we are obligated to encourage you to follow the law. Then again..." He paused for a moment and sounded completely serious as he continued. "...in order for our experiment to reach it's desired result, we must keep our interference to a minimum so we likely wouldn't stop someone who choose to... bend the laws a little."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

At random? Yeah, right. Now he knew they weren't telling them everything. He could have at least come up with a better excuse. Oh, god, he hoped this wasn't some kind of misinformed test where they'd see how long men could do without women before becoming gay. That wasn't possible, but scientists... Yuck... Damn, he'd read about animals who became gay after not having females around for a long while. These scientists were sick. Or maybe they were working on something else? But what... He'd have to find out. It was suspicious they were offering these kind of sums for what was essentially a free vacation, and that Wilson fellow was clearly not telling everything he knew. Various experiments by different people, so he didn't know what was going to happen? No way, they'd have to be approved first before any foundation would let scientists run experiments on people. The whole Hyman thing had seemed suspicious all along. He'd never heard of the organisation before. He wasn't leaving though. No, he wanted that money. He'd just have to be careful and try to find out what they wanted from him. And he'd have to remember not to undress in front of the cameras.

"I'm going to put my suitcase in one of the rooms. I can't just leave it lying around the hallway"

Good. This would give him dibs on the best rooms too. He'd settle for a good room, not the best, it didn't matter that much after all, but he didn't want to end up in some small broomcloset. This made him remember family weekends. His family was quite numerous and they'd all rent a single house to stay in once a year, and he'd usually be there later than anyone else, and his nephews would reserve a place in the best room for him. Well, what they considered to be the best room. Usually a spacy room a couch and somewhere to plug in all the electronic equipment. Music, computergames, that kind of stuff. More than once they'd picked a room because it had a balcony or roof access. Nothing better than that when you're in the middle of nowhere. Best place to sit. No-one bothered you, you had the cold night air and you could put the speakers to maximum in the next room. It was also usually the room located furthest from all the other rooms. This for two reasons: one being the speakers, and the other that they didn't want their parents dropping in all the time. Being stuck in a house with your family for a whole weekend was a predicament you only got through by the utmost isolation.

14. - Top - End - #14

"Hmm." Devon says, jokingly rubbing his chin as if in deep thought. "Bend the laws a little." But then he smiles. The lack of internet wouldn't bother him, and he didn't even own a cell phone, so he figured he'd be fine. "Well, Doc, I had fun." He says, hoisting his leather bag and acoustic guitar. He turns to the door as if to leave, watching the doctor's face. He takes one step with an expectant look on his face, but nothing happens so, disappointed, he turns and heads to the rooms.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"That is quite satisfactory. Thank you for answering that. I have a taste for sushi, crab, pastas, and pretty much every other fish or fried food. If we could get some seafood and cream based pastas into the menu I'd appreciate it," Spencer said with a warm smile as he grabbed his suitcase with the clear intention of ending the meeting and grabbing a room.

Well, this shouldn't be too bad. No women, but the rest of my needs should be met quite nicely.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Tycho stood to one side, arms folded over his chest as he glanced round the group with a bored, dull expression. His expression didnt change much as the doctor spoke, though he slowly raised an eyebrow at 'spencer's' comment about women, and frowned, scratching his stubble absently.

'Dude. How much are we getting paid again?'

His question seemed addressed to the doctor as the others filed of with their luggage. Tycho pulled out a ciggerette, put it between his lips and lit it as he looked to the doctor. Jesus. This guy is ugly. I hope they dont have cameras in the showers.
    ~Bow before the grand ninja of stupid evil alignment rp.

17. - Top - End - #17

"That would be 15,000 US dollars." Dr. Wilson replied. "Excluding, of course, the flight tickets, compensation for loss of income, etcetera."

As Tycho lit the cigarette Dr. Wilson spoke up again. "I feel I should point out that while we have no rules against smoking, please respect the other's opinion in the matter, especially if anyone should have allergies or asthma."

18. - Top - End - #18

William dropped his bag awkwardly next to a chair and loaded his plate up with food, pouring himself a glass of the best looking alcohol beverage there. With a sniff of satisfaction, he dug into his meal, and thoroughly enjoyed himself. After a bit, he enjoyed a second plate.

"Man, I wish this guy would stay the whole time."
    He mumbled to himself, taking a rather large swig and sighing heavily before taking another bite. "I wonder what shes doing..." He mumbled, twirling his fork in his food and thinking of his girlfriend.

19. - Top - End - #19

"John Smith. Also known as John 'thatsactuallymyname' Smith. So I understand we can't get a signal in here. Thank god for books. I'll eat pretty much anything except asian takeout, certain fruits and nuts."
    John turned and headed to drop his minor amount of luggage, thinking about food, and moving important things, like the multitool and two books into the pockets of his jacket. He removed the small, waterproofed bags that compartmentalized his backpack and luggage. Things like books and electronics didn't do well with water.
    Please, please don't let this turn into some kind of Resident Evil/28 Days Later scenario. Or the Cube for that matter. Or those psych experiments with guards and prisoners...
    "Ireland. Also called Eire, the Emerald Isle, Southern Island, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland depending which part of the island, if any is being refered to. Third largest island in Europe, after Iceland and Great Britain respectively. Hmmm"
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

"Yeah, no internet is going to suck ass, at least the house is nice though.
    Corey said.
    Wondering about where the women are? Is this kid serious? I'm sure if he's all that worried about it he can get the doc to get him a porno magazine or something.
    At least everyone seems friendly enough.

Corey picked up his bag and went upstairs to find a room.
    I don't really care how big the room is, I just hope I can find one with a bed that my feet won't hang off the end of.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

After claiming the second largest room upstairs with his bag, Spencer washed his hands and face in the bathroom before dinner. Arriving after most of the housemates had already started eating, Spencer surveyed the meal laid out before him before taking a seat. Before he dug into his food with careful, dignified movements Spencer took a moment to suggest, "We should agree on house rules once we finish here. I propose we hold the discussion in the back yard. Nature tends to calm the human mind and aid compromise."

No women, but everything else is extravagant.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward had taken what seemed to him the most comfortable room. Not only that, but it was quite near a bathroom and the stairs down. He didn't want to find himself in some forgotten corner of the manor. He'd also made sure his room had a window (or preferably balcony) that he could jump out of without hurting himself, but that didn't allow anyone to climb upwards. The slippery manor walls seemed excellent for that purpose. After this he'd stuffed his Terry Pratchett book back into his luggage and had taken one of the padlocks off the suitcase, using it to lock up his room behind him.

He joined the rest in the dining room, taking large portions of whatever food was available and making sure he'd tasted everything at least once. He also seemed to be drinking a fair amount of wine with his dinner. Nothing extravagant though, as it was the first night and it hardly seemed polite to start guzzling booze.
    "A Thoreau fan, are you?" he asked Spencer, as he was only two seats removed from him. Early to the dinner table, despite taking time to lock up his luggage, Edward had taken a seat across the first person to sit down, William.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oooh, a limo. Impressive.

Allan thought that to himself sarcastically as he got into the limo. This wasn't getting off to a good start; he would have figured a really legitimate and useful psychological experiment would have put a little more money towards the experiments and less towards the trappings. This would likely mean that this was some rich guy's toy project; that never worked out well.

He was regretting coming already. When he'd gotten the invitation, his first thought had been to simply toss the invitation. But he'd mentioned it to a professor he knew, who had encouraged him to go because actually participating in a full-fledged psychological experiment would look good on the application for his PhD. He wasn't sure that was worth all this crap, though.

On the ride, he didn't attempt to make any conversation with the driver, instead simply looking out at the countryside and thinking.

When he arrived at the house, he gathered with all of the others and listened to the good doctor outlining all the details. When Devon had asked about the results, he chimed in, "Allan Cimetta. I'd like the results as well." If he was going to go through this, he'd like to at least get the write-up so that he had some data to churn over when he was doing something useful.

He winced when Spencer had asked his questions; Spencer sounded like precisely the sort of person that he didn't like to associate with. Although his later comments seemed a bit more reasonable; he'd have to see.

At any rate, he headed up before eating and put his bags in the closest room to the stairs that was still available. It was fairly comfortable, and he tossed his stuff quickly into convenient places and headed down to eat.

At dinner, he ate sparingly; most of it was food that he wasn't particularly fond of. He drank none of the wine because he didn't drink, and instead simply drank the water; he'd have to look for milk later, but water was fine for now. He sat a distance away from Tycho in case he started smoking again; inhaling cigarette smoke could make him sick. He said fairly little, speaking mainly when spoken to, and instead listening intently to all of the other conversations.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

After dropping off his luggage in a room with a decent sized bed, Corey headed back down the stairs to dinner. Being as famished as he was he dug in immediately, eating huge portions of pretty much everything and a bottle amount of wine.
    "Are we so obnoxious that you need calming down already?
    He asked Spencer after his nature comment, relatively loudly since Spencer was pretty far down the table from him.
    I got no beef with nature, but 'calming the human mind?' I gotta see if I can get some of what this kid is on.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, great... Great first lines. The guy might have come off as a bit of a prat, but I'm sure that was just a first impression. It's not wise to start off like this. God, I'm going to be stucking with these people for a while, I hope they won't be fighting amongs each other. Better try to patch things up...

Edward laughed slightly at Corey's remark. Not really a "this is funny" laugh, but rather an acknowledgement of a joke, though he didn't really think it had been. The fellow had probably meant no harm, but he didn't want anyone starting off on the wrong foot. He just hoped Spencer would ignore the comment and answer his question about Thoreau instead. In retrospect it had been a stupid question. The link was far-fetched and most people were unlikely to have even heard of Thoreau, though it was likelier if he happened to be American. Oh, god, he hoped he didn't know more about Thoreau than he did. Edward was by no means enthusiastic about the man's work, and now he'd brought it up, as if he were some sort of Thoreau groupie...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Spencer addressed Corey's comment first with a smile in his eye, "I've been in a plane for twelve hours and a car for two. I suspect many others have had similar trips. Yes, some fresh air would be nice after the stress of traveling. As an added bonus, outside the smokers can freely enjoy their habit downwind without irritating anyone with asthma. I had it as a child and have been sensitive to smoke ever since. Is that satisfactory, Corey?" Spencer paused for just a moment with raised eyebrows at Corey before turning back to Edward. Spencer continued, "I have a passing knowledge of his works. Not a big fan of most poetry, but Thoreau is easily one of my favorite American poets. I particularly admire the way he makes the rhythm of the words flow. Most poets get too constrained by end structure."

As he waited for his words to sink in, Spencer took the liberty to pour himself some red and savor a sip. Very interesting. I can see that there are some minds here to keep me on my toes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, so he did know who Thoreau was. He'd even read his work. He was a bigger fan than Edward, clearly, but that wasn't too hard. Plus, he hadn't taken "Corey"s remark too hard. It was strange that he'd remembered the name after only hearing it once. Edward couldn't say he knew any of their names, except Spencer, and now Corey. So many names to learn... Well, he didn't usually address people by name anyways, so that would escape notice easily. Edward wondered if he even had anything in common with these people.

"His poetry?" Edward said, and grimaced.
    "I'm not too big of a fan myself actually, but I didn't really like what I did read. I mean, he's not a bad poet, but just not very appealing to me, and, and hardly my favorite American poet"

So you ask people about Thoreau and then you're going to tell them you don't like him? Where's the point in that?

"Besides, Thoreau's more of a prose writer than a poet anyways. He's more know for Walden, right? No, there's, ahm, far better American poets if you ask me"

Edward downed his glass of wine to indicate that he was done talking.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-01-19 at 02:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Devon found a smallish room off to the side of the place and put his stuff there. The room had a couple of beds, and enough space for two people, but it wasn't extravagant. In fact, it was kind of bare. But it had a soft, comfortable bed. And he was far enough away from the other rooms that he could play acoustic without bothering anybody, as long as he ended up with an understanding roomate. He took a deep breath and decided to go downstairs. He didn't feel like eating; He never did at other people's houses. Either travel or unfamiliar settings seemed to take him time to get used to, but he needed to mingle.

Once downstairs, he sat in an empty chair not particularly near to anyone, and heard people talking about poetry. "I've always like Frost, myself." He said, but very quietly, hoping no one would hear him. He looked around the table, hoping to see some kind of chicken.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Finishing off his glass of wine, Corey turned to Spencer.
    "Ah, I thought it might be that you thought we'd look more like women in the irish sunlight.
    He said with a wry grin.
    Took it a little too seriously, but at least he seems laid back enough, and the bit about the smokers is true. The nervous laughter guy seems a little uptight though.

30. - Top - End - #30

"Poetry really isn't my thing, and thats coming from an English Major..." William said, drinking a bit more, "Well, out of work English Major, if you catch my drift. So, whose here because they actually care about the experiment?" He continued, he had started eating before most people and hadn't put away so he stroked his bag next to him and was done with dinner- he hoped they'd be left overs.

"I mean, i'm here for that big fat check."
    Will said, popping his knuckles a bit while he watched everyone eat and injected himself into the conversation.