New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hyman Experiment

"Hey, my vodka... just kidding, man." William said, clinking his glass to the shot glass Allen picked up. "Well, I'm slightly not really allergic to chocolate. Its just a mild inconvenience, not nearly enough to make me swear off it." He said, downing another shot. Looked like he might be getting tipsy.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I'm allergic to Ceclor. And tiny bits of fiberglass." He shudders, remembering the year they put angel hair on the Christmas tree. "I'm hypoglycemic, so every now and then I get low blood sugar if I don't get enough carbs or protien. That's about it." He thinks hard, then suddenly remembers. "Ah, yes!" He raises his left arm and turns it palm-up, showing off the scar on his forearm. It's about six inches long and completely straight. "I've still got metal in my arm from where I broke it a few years ago." He traces the index finger of his right hand up and down it, slightly mesmeried as always. "No big, but I forgot to get one of those cards that tells people you have it, and the metal detectors gave me hell over it at first." He says, smiling. "They must have thought I had some nailclippers."
    All glory to Vrythas in regards to my snazzy AD&D Game Master avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reserve AD&D Game Master avatar by wxdruid

Oh star fall down on me
    Let me make a wish upon you
    Hold on, let me think
    Think of what I'm wishing for

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward picked up his plate after restocking it and took a glass and a bottle of the milder whisky in his other hand. He then followed everyone out to the patio where he pulled up a comfortable looking lawn-chair and put his food on a table. Taking another bite of salmon, Edward said "I'm, eh, allergic to penicilline, to sunlight, and, eh, unfortunately to sunblock as well. Oh, and they think I may be allergic to grass. But none of the allergies ever really bother me. Just, when you have to take me to a hospital, make sure they don't give me penicilline"
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Corey continued to drink his whiskey and pulled up a chair.
    No allergies to speak of and no borken bones with metal plates. I pretty much don't sleep though, insomnia so bad if I get a couple hours every other day I'm happy.

Spoiler
    Show
    that's not an exaggeration, ever wonder why I'm no here so much?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm, I've got a sort of insomnia too. It usually doesn't bother me, but sometimes I don't sleep at all for a week or more. Oh, and I'm a sleepwalker, or I used to be as a kid. I still get it sometimes when I'm not sleeping in my own bed, so when you see me walking around the hallways at night just leave me be"

Edward remembered that wouldn't be a problem, since he'd be locking his room at night. Then it occurred to him that he could use his condition as a free pass to sneak around at night.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

6. - Top - End - #66

William had made his way outside as well, and stood around while the rest talked. "Yeah, I'm pretty bad with insomnia too. Its okay though, I guess, sleep is such a waste of time..." He shook his head. "Oh yeah, my knees pretty banged up too from breaking it years ago, just makes me not be able to run so fast or so long..." He paused for a second, wondering if he should really be just telling his weaknesses freely. Probably the booze.

Spoiler
    Show
    And this is why I'm posting at 7:30 in the morning.
    Last edited by Tichrondrius; 2009-01-21 at 07:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Allan said, "I have problems sleeping sometimes at well, and tend to be fairly sensitive to noise while I'm trying to fall asleep. I can get a little bit sick if I inhale a lot of smoke, and am fairly picky about what I eat. Since we'll be cooking for ourselves, that won't be an issue, but it does mean that there'll have to be something available other than the seafood that you prefer, Spencer, because I don't eat any fish that actually tastes like it."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, I was thinking about that, actually. The, the food. I mean, we're going to have to be doing our own cooking, that Wilson guy said, so I was wondering how we'd arrange that. We could all just cook separately, I suppose, but I think it would be easier if some of us prepared a lot of food instead. We could take turns cooking, or something. Same thing goes for other chores, like cleaning and stuff. I think we'll have to care of all of that"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Allan shrugged. "I'd still rather cook for myself, since I eat at odd times and wouldn't want to force you guys to only eat what I like, since that's generally pretty plain. As for cleaning, the bathrooms are the worst, but when I was in university in a dorm we basically did a schedule so that everyone took their turns cleaning them once a week. Otherwise, if we clean up after ourselves we'd probably be okay, but I'm open to other divisions of labour if anyone wants."
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2009-01-21 at 10:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

"Heh. I got government-enforced insomnia," Schnepp said. He'd been hanging back, observing the rest of the group instead of charging into the middle of the conversation with his usual graceless sociability. He had to spend thirty days with these people; he wasn't looking to alienate them quite yet.
    The crazy could show later. For now, he was speaking with a military clip with a command tone. He figured the group would start pissing contests for dominance fairly quickly, and wasn't in the mood to wind up at the bottom.
    "I've got practice prepping a lot of food with the SCA and KP, and it's a quick snap to handle chore dispersion. I'll have to see what they got in the kitchens to see what we can work with. You keep your own AO clean, and we'll have four guys a day clean the rest of the building. Sound like a plan, mutts?"
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Allan raised an eyebrow. "You don't find cleaning this entire building daily a little bit of overkill?"

He'd have been perfectly happy to have let the guy take over, if he'd made sense. But Allan didn't think that most of the people here would care that much about cleaning the BATHROOMS once a week, let alone the entire building daily ...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Clean the rest of the house? Are you %^$#ing bonkers? Pick up after yourself, the bathrooms get cleaned once a week, problem solved. As for cooking, I vote each prepare our own foods, I can eat pretty much anything and like some pretty weird crap, plus Allan's got a point, not everyone eats at the same time so it isn't really feasible.

And what's wrong with being a mutt?
    Last edited by sidhe_blooded; 2009-01-21 at 10:58 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

"It would save us a lot of work if we ate together. I mean, I don't want to force you guys, but I bet some of you at least are willing to eat at a certain time and to help cook sometimes? I doubt the kitchen's big enough for all of us to be cooking for ourselves anyways. I tend to take a lot of time when I'm cooking. Unless I'm just throwing some stuff together, I guess..."

"As for cleaning, I don't think cleaning the house every day will be needed. Just the basics. Bathrooms, mostly, since we'll have to share those. I've checked upstairs, and I only saw two of them..."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Schnepp blinked in surprise.
    Oh, right. Civilians. He'd basically grown up in the Army. These people could prove problematic. He was beginning to get the feel of the group, though. 'Individualists' who pretty much ran in similar directions. The kinds of guys he used to hang out with back in high school.
    He shrugged. "Just how we used to roll. I don't mind cleaning the latrine daily - I'm picky about that kind of thing, and I know where my feet have been." Nobody came back from Iraq entirely clean 'cept the Chair Force. Then again, when did twice-daily cleaning become normal? "Judging from the sounds of things, we all eat wierd stuff. It's usually more efficient to simply have one or two guys prep the food for breakfast and chow, then stick it in a 'fridge for the stragglers. Helps if we're too busy to cook our own food, considering there's not much time difference between cooking a meal for one guy or cooking a meal for four."
    He glanced at Corey. "Nothin's wrong with being a mutt. Remember Bill Murray's motivational speech in Stripes? I picked it up there. Some guys call their troops 'joes', 'troops' 'those morons', etcetera. I call 'em 'mutts'."
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    "Helps if we're too busy to cook our own food, considering there's not much time difference between cooking a meal for one guy or cooking a meal for four."
    "That's exactly my point!" Edward said, relieved to have found some support. He looked at his empty plate and considered getting more, but then decided to put it off until later. Instead he poured himself some Dunmills Whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    He glanced at Corey. "Nothin's wrong with being a mutt. Remember Bill Murray's motivational speech in Stripes? I picked it up there. Some guys call their troops 'joes', 'troops' 'those morons', etcetera. I call 'em 'mutts'."
    "Are you in the army or something?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Check, military @$$hole. Doesn't even know a joke when he hears one.
    "If people want to do the rotating cook schedule I'm game I guess, you better get drunk the first time I cook though 'cause we're having haggis.
    Corey replied.
    How are we supposed to let the science fellas know what we want in our deliveries? Do we just talk into a camera somewhere or do we slip a note under the door?

Spoiler
    Show
    it's true, you'll wanna be drunk if I make haggis. when you're sober it's pretty foul, but if you get drunk it tastes like sausage
    Last edited by sidhe_blooded; 2009-01-21 at 12:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Allan shrugged again. "None of you will probably want to eat what I cook, and I probably won't eat anything you cook. For those who want to combine cooking duties and can make it all work, be my guest. I'll work around you and not get in the way, but I pretty much plan on cooking for myself. I think we'd all rather that." He said the last part with a self-deprecating grin.

And I don't think I'll be cooking anything ahead, either

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward was quite beginning to disapprove of some of the solitary streaks these characters had. Mathematically it made complete sense to cook together. It would take less work, plus he'd get to try everyone's cooking. The ancient Spartans cooked in communities too, though he remembered that was to save food and they had no shortage of any kind of luxury at the mansion. Except women, off course, and internet, which were still two of the most important things in Edward's mind.

"You're going to cook haggis?" he asked, slightly surprised that anyone would even come up with the idea or know how to make it.
    "Great! It's been ages since I ate that! Oh, and Wilson said you simply had to talk to the cameras. Hear that, Wilson, supplies for making haggis, pronto!"
    Edward laughed. He could say anything he'd like and they'd provide it to him. Well, as far as food went anyways. Suddenly he wondered if they needed to cook at all. They could just have food delivered.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-01-21 at 12:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

(What is this 'joke' thing of which you speak, hoo-man? But yeah, you have no idea how much of an ******* I can be. Fortunately, I'm on my 'good' behavior around you people.)

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    "Are you in the army or something?"
    "That's a distinct possibility."
    Schnepp was beginning to take an active dislike of the guy bound and determined not to pitch in, but he wasn't about to start scalping folks over a little independence here and there.
    Yet. He liked to keep his options open. He quirked a little smile at that thought. I get a lot less creepy when someone can read the thought-bubbles, he mused.
    "So what're we looking at for rooming in? Anyone had a look at the rooms?"

Currently Playing

20. - Top - End - #80

Allen watched the food debate go back and forth, his mind mostly elsewhere. Once it became fairly clear that some people didn't want in on any communal cooking projects, he spoke up. "If people don't want to eat what other people cook, that's cool. I'm in on the rotating schedule, although I might have to find something else on haggis night. Anyone here know how to cook Mexican food?"

21. - Top - End - #81

"I don't mind eating what y'all guys cook, although I'm not much of a cook myself. Generally its microwave food and experimentation for me..." William cocked his head to the side and adjusted his bag that he still hadn't put away in his room on his shoulder, "...and you don't want the experimentations. But apparently, I can make a mean 'anything' milkshake. Ooo, I wonder if they have a blender here. Lacking internet, I'll probably just booze it up and play with the blender." He idlely chatted to himself, then licked his lips. "Anyway, sure, buddy, Edward, was it? Group meals. I figure if at least half of us are doing it it'd still be okay, ya know? I'll help, but if you want to assign me a night be prepared to have, like... pizza, sandwiches or who knows what."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think that if it's necessary we might actually be able to order food... If we just told the cameras we wanted some piping hot Chinese take-out, Wilson might just go get it for us..."

"As for the rooms..."
    Edward said, turning to Schnepp, "Me and some others have been up there. It's pretty decent. Nothing spectacular, I mean, just a big bed and some closets for storage, and I have a washing table in my room too, but I don't think all the rooms have those. Anyways, plenty of electric outlets, nice view of the countryside, cameras too, unfortunately..."

23. - Top - End - #83

Devon takes off his earbuds and turns off the player. "I got a room up there, it's pretty nice. Out of the way." He looks at the guy who mentioned Chinese food*. "That sounds so good. I haven't had a good Sesame Chicken in ages. I gotta tell you guys, I'm kind of a chicken-head. As for cooking..." He sighs and leans back a little. "Let's just say I don't think any of you want to try my tap water. I know a few dishes, though, but I'm a bachelor through and through. I can cook an MRE, make pumpkin pie, bake curry chicken, as well as a few others. And I've been in a kitchen long enough to help anyone who needs it. But other than that, my culinary skills are negligible." He says, shrugging.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"What's an MRE?"

25. - Top - End - #85

"Ah, sorry. It's a Meal Ready to Eat. Some kind of military ration they use. Or used to, I don't know if they still do. My uncle taught me how they work. They use some kind of magnesium heater to cook food. Come with desserts. Real nutritious, I guess, but you can't eat them forever."

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

26. - Top - End - #86

"Meals Rejected by the Enemy. You pour water into a package, it hits the magnesium and the chemical reaction warms a packet of almost-food. Eat the almost-food for 3,000 calories and a +1 morale bonus to fortitude saves." Allen shrugged. "Alternatively, we could order Chinese. General's chicken and sweet-and-sour, anyone?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"We can always check to see what we have, to start with, " Allan suggested. "I suspect that there'll be a fair number of ready-to-go meals for those who aren't great at cooking, and we should be able to get more. Although those sorts of things aren't the sort of thing that people will be generally 'cooking' for others ..."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm going with the take-out," Schnepp said. "I successfully managed to turn a tour in Iraq without eating an MRE, I ain't about to pick up the habit again."

Currently Playing

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by imperialspectre View Post
    "...Eat the almost-food for 3,000 calories and a +1 morale bonus to fortitude saves."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I lol'ed at that in real life, but I couldn't post it then, so I'm posting it now.

"Hell, it sounds good to me. Iä Chinese Food, and all that." Devon said. He put the earbuds back on.
    Last edited by Levyathyn; 2009-01-22 at 08:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Aaron listened into the conv with interest and amusement. He had taken a small room that suited his Spartan lifestyle. He then had gone through his meal army style and headed outside toburn it off. Finding a sturdy tree he began to do pullups. He was perfectly ok with letting the others squabble over basic chores and felt that he'd input his opinion on his own time. Aaron made a mental list of the surroundings and of the characteristics his new housemates had displayed so far. Gauging how much he should care to interact with the civvys. Edward seemed alright so far but he wasn't too sure about spencer. However, he knew first impressions can be misleading and sometimes fatal.