New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Test Your Might 9

27 damage. Respectable.

My go?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, go ahead and let's see what she can do to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Ssendam recovers 25 hit points, then notices that she's been touched.

Four pseudopods rush out to smash Melee away.

Attack - (d20+46)[58], Damage - (3d8+10)[26] and Energy Drained - (d4)[3] levels.
    Attack - (d20+46)[53], Damage - (3d8+10)[24] and Energy Drained - (d4)[3] levels.
    Attack - (d20+46)[64], Damage - (3d8+10)[23] and Energy Drained - (d4)[4] levels.
    Attack - (d20+46)[53], Damage - (3d8+10)[21] and Energy Drained - (d4)[1] levels.

She's going to keep smashing him until he's out of reach; further attacks will fail.

So that's one Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) for each of those attacks until two of them connect. You can voluntarily fail them.

She'll follow up with a Quickened prismatic spray directly in front of herself (save DCs 30)
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

If two of them hit, I'll need a Will save from Melee.

5. - Top - End - #35

Well, he loses 6 levels and and is pushed out of the way, going to south-west away from her with her attacks.

I'll assume that everyone except for Blaster is hit by the Prismatic Spray, I'll roll to see which effect they get, and any saves...

Melee (1d8)[4]
    Skill (1d8)[2]
    Healer (1d8)[5]
    You sir, are my hero.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I'm off for the night; enjoy the rainbow pain.

7. - Top - End - #37

Melee Will save (with -6 from the 6 lost levels) (1d20+15)[33]

Melee gets a Fort save against Poison (with -6 from the 6 lost levels) (1d20+21)[40]
    Skill gets a Reflex Save (With Evasion) against Acid (1d20+25)[26]
    Healer gets a Fortitude Save against being Turned to Stone (1d20+26)[42]

Edit: Okay, Melee and Healer passed the Fort Save (I think) but Skill failed the Reflex save. Guess he'll have to take the 40 points of Acid Damage

And Melee MIGHT have passed the Will Save, dunno yet. You let me know.
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2009-01-18 at 11:42 PM.
    You sir, are my hero.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I think that will save is one of those reality shattering abilities that warps you so much the very fabric of your being gets scrambled to the point where your essence is scattered to the far realm and the very memories of you are annihilated from the memories of your loved ones.

Yea, I think you be boned...hard!

I wouldn't have fared much better, hell, I probably wouldn't even far well against your team, though it would be interesting. You are ECL20, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #39

Yeah, all ECL 20s.

Not designed with optimisation in mind, but synergy.

If I was optimising, I would have made a Beguiler/Rainbow Servant, a Leap Attack Frenzied Berserker, a Factotum/Chameleon, and a Bard/War Weaver/Combat Medic

Remember though, the Slaad is a CR32. I'm not supposed to survive this, in fact, I'm supposed to have access to Epic Spells and I probably wouldn't survive unless I was at least level 25.

And I'd still expect a TPK, even then.
    You sir, are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Mindshatter (Sp) A creature struck by two or more of Ssendam's pseudopods in a single round is affected by a potent, crippling magical effect. On a failed Will save (DC 44), the hapless victim is affected as though by blindness, feeblemind and insanity and takes 4d6 temporary Wisdom damage. Caster level 32nd, save DC Cha-based. On a successful save, the victim takes only 2d6 temporary Wisdom damage.

Game over, mang...game over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Say, seeing that this is a hopeless fight, could we bring in reinforcements? I have a character or two I could bring in; I doubt that they would do much difference, but I would like to give it a shot anyway.

12. - Top - End - #42

Hey, give a guy a break eh? I want to do this myself.

Just because you've only seen one guy do damage doesn't mean that anyone else can't.

I have a strategy that might win me the round.
    You sir, are my hero.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Sure thing. You just seemed so pessimistic in the last few posts.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, so Melee's brain basically explodes.

He's now blinded, feebleminded and insane. Aaaand...

Wisdom damage - (4d6)[13]

And yes, everyone else saved except skill. Mmm, acid damage...

15. - Top - End - #45

Okay, so the strategy here has now changed somewhat. Seeing the pain that I'm up against, a guerilla strategy is called for.

Healer sends forth his Raven, and starts casting (as a full round action) a Heal spell at range on Melee through the Raven once it gets to him.

Next round, Melee will be Healed, removing all problems except the negative levels (assuming nothing else happens to him between now and then)

Skill remains hidden (using Ki Invisibility) and watching the goings on, unable to contribute anything at this stage. He moves off map East 30ft

Blaster casts Destruction. The enemy will pass on anything but a 1, and I have to get through Spell Resistance, but if I do, it will at least take 10d6 damage. He then moves 30ft South

Fort Save DC: 28 (don't roll a 1!)
    Spell Resistance Check (1d20+30)[45]
    Damage (10d6+5)[39]

You can sort out what Melee does, if anything. I assume he lies on the ground, catatonic and blubbering.
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2009-01-19 at 04:27 PM.
    You sir, are my hero.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Melee's gonna...

Confusion check - (d100)[21] <--do that.

That one's "babble incoherently."

Fort save - (d20+37)[40] (and please don't be a 1)
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-19 at 05:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Yee-ha, not a 1.

Ssendam recovers 25 hp, but she's now figured out that something's trying to harm her. She's decided to blame the thing she smacked around last time.

She'll 5 ft. step towards Melee, putting him within her reach. Pseudopods time.

Attack - (d20+50)[55], damage - (3d8+10)[23] and Drained - (d4)[4] levels.
    Attack - (d20+50)[67], damage - (3d8+10)[28] and Drained - (d4)[2] levels.
    Attack - (d20+50)[51], damage - (3d8+10)[27] and Drained - (d4)[2] levels.
    Attack - (d20+50)[65], damage - (3d8+10)[25] and Drained - (d4)[4] levels.

And she's noticed that smacking it away hasn't stopped the attacks, so this time she's keeping him. If three of those hit, he'll be grappled.

18. - Top - End - #48

Yeah, he would be unconscious now from hitpoint damage and level loss (He's lost 18 of his 20 levels) but the Delay Death is keeping him upright and babbling.

The Raven hits him with a touch attack (as he's an ally I shouldn't need to roll for that) and Heals him, removing all negative status conditions except the Negative Levels.

Healer moves forward 20ft and uses a Burst of Vitality, removing as many negative levels from Melee as the maximum Hitdice of undead he could turn.

Let's see...

(1d20+11)[16]
    You sir, are my hero.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Ssendam and her Spell Stowaway (heal) say thanks for the healin'. Or would, if... you know.

20. - Top - End - #50

Okay, so from that Melee is now in full fighting order, and being grappled by the horrible beasty.

Because of that, he can attack with his natural weapons.

Blaster uses his wings to fly forward 60ft and casts Align Weapon, Mass, choosing Lawful as the alignment, seeing he knows that he's fighting a Slaad. It will affect Healers Sword and Melees Fists (as they can count as either a manufactured weapon OR a natural weapon for spell purposes, whichever is more beneficial)

Skill hides off to the side, waiting to see if he can get in and be of any benefit, but he doubts it. Can't sneak attack an ooze, after all.

Melee, coming to his senses, decides to try and destroy the thing holding onto him. The creature is PROBABLY flat-footed against his attacks, but that's up to the DM.

Attack 1: (1d20+37)[53]
    Attack 2: (1d20+37)[52]
    Attack 3: (1d20+32)[52]
    Attack 4: (1d20+27)[40]
    Attack 5: (1d20+22)[24]

Damage 1: (6d8+22)[49] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[1]
    Damage 2: (6d8+22)[56] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[6]
    Damage 3: (6d8+22)[57] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[5]
    Damage 4: (6d8+22)[55] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[4]
    Damage 5: (6d8+22)[54] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[3]

And... if applicable...

Rend: (8d8+29)[58]
    You sir, are my hero.

21. - Top - End - #51

Okay, attack 3 is a possible Critical, probably can't crit an Ooze, but you never know...

Attack Roll to confirm Crit: (1d20+32)[41]

EDIT: That round of combat should have dealt around 200 points of damage to her. Stick that in her pipe and smoke it!
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2009-01-19 at 06:05 PM.
    You sir, are my hero.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I don't follow. How is he attacking if fully grappled? Won't he have to disentangle himself?

Well, only the first three hit her regardless. Plus the rend. And no, she's not flat-footed. She's got telepathy, so she'll know if he decides to hit her.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-19 at 06:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Nope, when you're grappled you can attack as long as you're using a natural weapon or a light weapon. As his weapon is a Natural weapon, he can attack away to his hearts content.

And with the first three hitting, plus the Rend, that should be around 200 damage.
    You sir, are my hero.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Right-o, my turn?

25. - Top - End - #55

Yes, it is.

Feel free to kill me now
    You sir, are my hero.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Alrighty, Ssendam will start by taking a move action to engulf the grappled Melee. He can enjoy the wonders of This Much > - (4d12+14)[47] acid damage every turn until someone gets him out of there. He also gets to enjoy the slam damage he's come to know and love, which I think is (3d8+10)[27] with a side order of (d4)[1] level(s) drained.

Opposed grapple check or Escape Artist check to escape, if he likes. She'll win, though.

She also gains back 25 hp, so that's nice.

Now, she's gonna crack of a Quickened prismatic spray if anyone's close enough (she won't bother otherwise) and then maze Healer if he's close enough (which he should be, since her range on that is 105 ft).

27. - Top - End - #57

According to her stat block, she can't Slam when she engulfs, nor can she slam someone inside her (as per standard rules). But, you're the DM. If you decide otherwise, add another +1 to all my attack rolls.

And seeing I'm inside her, she'd have to count as Flat Footed, right? You can't dodge someone when they're inside you.

Attack 1: (1d20+36)[42]
    Attack 2: (1d20+36)[48]
    Attack 3: (1d20+31)[45]
    Attack 4: (1d20+26)[36]
    Attack 5: (1d20+21)[31]

Damage 1: (6d8+22)[51] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[1]
    Damage 2: (6d8+22)[60] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[4]
    Damage 3: (6d8+22)[41] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[1]
    Damage 4: (6d8+22)[42] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[1]
    Damage 5: (6d8+22)[58] +1d6 Cold (1d6)[2]

And... if applicable...

Rend: (8d8+29)[68]

Healer attempts an Intelligence check against DC20 to get out of the Maze
    Intelligence check (1d20+4)[21]

The Prismatic Spray won't hit anyone, so it doesn't go off.

Blaster casts Destruction again, hoping that the Slaad will roll a 1 and he'll get through her SR, resulting in an unlikely victory.

Destruction: Fort Save DC 28
    Damage taken (if she passes) (10d6+5)[42]
    Spell Resistance (1d20+30)[41]

He then moves back 60ft and waits.
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2009-01-19 at 08:02 PM.
    You sir, are my hero.

28. - Top - End - #58

Bah, failed the SR roll, but I should have done another 200 odd damage to her this round. That's almost half her life, after healing is taken into account.

And Healer managed his Intelligence Check! Go Healer!
    You sir, are my hero.

29. - Top - End - #59

I hate to say it, but the fight is mine now.

You can't kill me when I'm inside you, thanks to Delay Death. All the Acid Damage you do will leave me on Negatives, but alive.

And I know I'll do enough damage to kill you within the remaining 17 rounds.

Concede?
    You sir, are my hero.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

You're asking me to concede?

No, the stat block is in error; I copied it over from the gelatinous cube. Hence the "it" where "she" would be.

The fact that he's trapped is supposed to indicate that he is unable to move. And thereby unable to attack. Should I make that more clear?

I wouldn't have taken the action had I expected him to be able to make attacks. If you prefer, I'll simply word of chaos and then full attack him until he goes insane and dies of negative levels.

EDIT: I've repaired the relevant passages. Now try again, without your fist-monkey.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-19 at 09:19 PM.