New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Einheriar

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Einheriar

First comes the immobilizing shock that runs down the body, the needle point numbness coating you, stirring you awake from the nothing that preceded it. Second comes the pain of your first breath, deep and slow and burning in your chest before it becomes quicker, fainter, regular. The twitch of a muscle shoots fire through your form, and the ringing in your ears gives way to the prick of silence around you. A void surrounds you, lacking depth or form, inky black upon black swirling together to form shapes on the edge of your vision. It takes a moment for you to realize that your eyes are open.

Soon enough, you notice others: living beings, like yourself, going through all the same motions that you experienced, fighting just to get up. You notice that the whole of you arrange a circle, pointing to some center of the nothingness that contains you. Glancing at the others, you wonder what you must look like, before the memory hits you, heavy and sharp...

[Each character may be dressed as they like, even in the clothing they died in. Count this as another piece of your past life that I'm letting you build.]
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Einheriar

Garbed in a charred outfit of silk and wyvern-hide, a genasi woman is first to struggle to hands and knees before crying out in pain and falling onto her side. She stares at her right palm and the sigil freshly branded into it in obvious agony and shock before, shaking, she manages to tear one of the more intact bits of silk from her clothing and wrap it into a crude bandage.

There are tears in her eyes as she once again forces herself to her knees, avoiding the use of her injured hand this time, and groans out "Where did you take it? It's all mine, damn you!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Loshar

A throbbing pain behind the eyes makes it impossible to focus.

Ugh.

Raising his head, the doppelganger looks down at himself. He sees the body of a gaunt young man, wrapped in rags and long black hair. But it is not his body, somehow.

What...

His eyes lock on the mumbling woman, and without conscious thought his body molds itself in her image.

What's going on here?!

Even his voice has changed, pitched higher and more demanding.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Moranog

A man stirs, waking with a groan. He is tall and brawny. Fiery hair, braided and dreadlocked, forms a cushion beneath his head, then rises over his shoulders to rest upon his arms. His tan skin shifts over waking muscles as his body comes into consciousness, bit by bit, first his chest, then arms, then legs. He flexes the fingers of one large hand, then the other. He wiggles his toes. He does not move his head, but continues to stare vaguely upward after opening his eyes.

His face is angular, but strong; marked by weather, scars, and laugh lines. His jawline shows just a hint of shadow, except upon his chin, where a goatee has been left to grow wild and scruffy. He works saliva back into his mouth and moistens his lips.

A simple golden torc rests around his neck, and a silver triskelion hangs from one earlobe. Aside from these, he is naked.
    And in case you were wondering... it's HUGE.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2009-01-19 at 04:58 PM.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

what the hell man that's not cool!!!

With an inaudible grunt he pulls himself grudgingly to a sitting position. His short white hair is clean and combed, and his clothing pools about him: lightly tanned, flowing monasterial robes.

A moment passes and the man pulls himself first to one knee, and then slowly --carefully --into a standing position.

Only now does he notice the others. Benedict clears his throat and opens his mouth, and the first fragment of a word passes his lips almost before he realizes it.

"Is anyone hurt?"
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    through a thunder of seem
    though the stars in their silence
    say Be

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Daevi stares down into the emptiness before feeling his face, realizing that he has a face and how wonderful that is. A grin takes hold of his lips momentarily before he hears faint whispers in the back of his mind. It is too faint to make out clearly and after a short moment shrugs it off as a side-effect to his awakening consciousness.

His memories have been replaced by silence, but instinct helps him take a shape. He assumes the form of a tall, slim, fair-skinned, androgynous human figure. It is impossible to tell whether he is a pretty man or a handsome woman. Running his fingers along his new face to make sure it feels like he wants, Daevi struggles to his feet to assess the most important of situations, his attire.

His clothes are a simple, but stylish crimson robe fastened at the waste with a black leather belt. Underneath he wears tall, black leather boots. All materials are of the finest quality. Daevi takes another moment to admire his clothing before realizing that someone has just spoken.

"Oh, I'm quite alright. Anyone know where we are?"
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Loshar

Still wearing the genasi's features, the doppelganger staggers to his feet and clutches his head. Where did this headache come from? And why does my mouth taste like cotton balls? The pain recedes for a moment, and he regains the form of the long-haired young man with fine features.

Oh, wow. Define 'hurt'.

He chances opening one eye and peers around blearily.

Where are we and who are you people?

And then, without knowing why -

And does anybody have a drink?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, judging from the vast nothingness that surrounds us, I'd say..."

Daevi pauses and looks around.

"...we're in a vast nothingness. My name is Daevi, by the way, and I'm a..."

The words come out like a phrase he is used to uttering frequently, but he simply cannot remember the rest. He wrinkles his brow worriedly and grimaces.

"...I don't remember. I'm pretty sure I died. And no, I don't have any drink, but I suddenly feel like I could do with one or five."
    Last edited by Sedar; 2009-01-20 at 01:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Moranog

The naked man on the ground smiles, and his eyes slide about in their sockets as he snatches glimpses of those around him. He remains lying down.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Basileus

Basileus lays in the darkness, feeling his heart beating once more, idly tracing patterns on the nothing beneath him, aware of the wealth of sensation flowing through him. His position was uncomfortable, his upper body twisted around, so he shifts into a less awkward position, stretching and letting out a yawn. His curiosity, freed from the dull emptiness, pondered this strange place and the others gathered him but time enough for that later. First came the matter of collecting himself, letting himself ease into the lifeflow... But then, lingering like a bitter aftertaste, there was that memory. A involuntary shiver runs through him, then he clambers to his hooves...

A wiry amalgamation of man and ram stands upright with an awkward grace, glancing in the direction of the others sleepily. His lower frame is covered with thick black and white hair. His upper frame is wrapped loosely in an old soiled toga, clipped in place with a copper leaf. His face is framed with thick sideburns and a wild goatee. His head is crowned by tousled black hair and a set of large curling horns which jut from his forehead. He wipes the sleep from his beady brown eyes then reaches for a flask tangling by a thread from his waist and raises it to his lips...only to release it with a shrug when nothing issues from the empty container.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-20 at 10:40 PM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Dead?!" the woman practically screams, half-standing and backing away. "I've dealt with the walking dead before, on..." she pauses, confused, and stares at her bandaged hand for a moment before straightening. "I... died. I remember dying. But I'm alive. What am I doing here?"

She looks around, really watching the blackness this time, before screaming to no one in particular, "The fires did not consume me, they could not have have taken the rest of it! It's mine! Give it back to me!"

12. - Top - End - #12

biggrin Re: Einheriar

Basileus

Basileus makes a mild grimace at the woman's outburst, digging around in the ear closest to her for a moment. He then lets his hand fall back to his side, looking around, "This isn't quite what I imagined the afterlife to be..." Then he frowned trying to recall exactly what had he imagined the afterlife to be, he must have wondered at some point, hadn't he? Finally he shrugged, what point was there in wasting time on anything but the now anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sup, knowledge checks.
    Arcana: (1d20+8)[19]
    Nature: (1d20+10)[23]

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

"Give it back?"

The genasi woman, and all who look her way, find the sudden appearance of a presence looming over her, an insubstantial shape that can still be perceived, in the darkness. Where the 'face' of the being would be sits an ornate obsidian mask, inlaid with gold and with two rubies for its eyes. It resembles an ibis.

"Give what back? What have we taken from you that would be so important? What have we not given to you?"

The being stops at this point, its pointed whispers fading into the aether as it simply floats away, towards the center. The presence of the thing seems to fit the area, and the endless depth of blackness is pierced by broken lines of blue, all convalescing at the occupied center. The ibis headed being tilts in thought for a moment, before it looks out at the occupants.

"Perhaps you have reconsidered in the short time since we asked you? Would you like to return to the fate you have escaped?"
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"You think you can send me to my fate, Formless One? I have survived more battles than most even dream of! Like... That time... Why can't I remember?" The genasi shakes her head, trying to clear it, but to no avail. "What... What did you give to me? What did you even ask? I remember nothing after the fire.

I couldn't have given up all that... SOME of it has to be mine still."

15. - Top - End - #15

"Ahhh..." Basileus breathes at the appearance of the entity, unconsciously shifting from one set of hooves to the other nervously, "I was hoping someone like you would appear, saves us the trouble of looking."

"Oh shhhhh....stop before you do something utterly stupid." He cautions the woman, taking a few tiny steps closer, a curious light in his eyes as he watches attentively. Escaped our Fates? That must be why I can't remember how to punch a hole through the fabric of this demiplane into the astral... For no apparent reason Basileus suddenly chuckles, "Was I ever able to do that, I...don't remember..." He then shrugs, "Probably doesn't matter, doesn't change anything now..."
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-21 at 02:56 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

The bariaur's comments seem to have no effect on the being's composure, still bristling with the air of focused confrontation at the woman. Though its voice does not rise, the air in the void grows colder, so much so that the others can see their breath.

"How would We not, when We have sent you here? Why would We not, after you have forgotten Our contract? What mortal, selfish and greedy and desperate, would not want to avoid...this?"

A cacophony of distant screams crawls in your ears while the space begins to lighten, shades of blood red and ash grey bleeding through the void and growing stronger. Soon, you realize that the sounds and the colors come from a scene rushing at you from beneath, a scene you are quickly falling to, a vision that absorbs you in whole...

Flesh and bone melting from volcanic heat, as obese, apelike beasts tear into and gorge themselves on an endless bouquet that is your body...

A serrated scalpel severing muscle and joint with surgical stillness, serving as both medical text and casual pleasure to the circle of leering, horned faces above you...

A calcified statue, caught screaming into a storm of grey wind, before the storm wins and sends you crashing, crushing you into a powder of grey dust that soon joins its cousins...

...and the vision stops as soon as it had started, leaving you facing the creature you had just left. It slouches, as if exhausted, before it turns to the bariaur who had voiced his comments earlier.

"And why should We be important, if you have forgotten Us? Why should anything be important, when you shall forget, like every mortal before you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion DC 10: You identify the places shown as part of a collection called the 'Lower Planes'.

Religion DC 15: You identify the planes that were shown: The Abyss, Carceri, and the Grey Wastes, in that order.
    Last edited by Belobog; 2009-01-21 at 03:35 AM.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Basileus

Basileus collapses to his front knees, panting heavily at the vicious assault of the vision. Beads of sweat appear on his forehead as he dryly swallows, glancing up at the being addressing him, he opens his mouth to reply but nothing comes.

After a moment, he tries again, his voice uneven, "...the...afterlife is..." He stops, stumbling back to his hooves, "...not quite what I imagined..."

"Eh...my memory...might be bad...but you convinced me that you're important..." He runs a hand through his wild hair, "What...happens now? This demiplane seems peaceful...in comparison celestial...but I'm guessing that...fate wouldn't give us up to something so...so..."
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-21 at 04:31 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

18. - Top - End - #18

Loshar

The out of body experience does nothing for Losh's headache. Clutching his temples, he sinks to his knees and groans. His muffled voice is just barely audible:

Please, no more bright lights...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: Einheriar

Benedict

Benedict watches the scenes impassively, with brief flares of hatred at the sight of the varied fiends. When they recede into memory, he evaluates the new figure with a cautious expression.

"You took us from our gods. You took us from our rightful places in death. Why?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+7)[19]
    Last edited by VoxPVoxD; 2009-01-21 at 06:42 AM.
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

20. - Top - End - #20

Basileus

"Uh...because getting eaten alive for all of eternity isn't as fun as it sounds..." Basileus offers with a shrug, "Well, I gather that's why we agreed..." He glances back at the masked figure, "...please refresh my poor mortal memory..." Why does that feel wrong. Was I mortal? I'm here, I must have been but... He hesitates for a moment, a troubled expression crossing his face, then shakes his head and continues, "Um, what were the terms...of our contract?
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-21 at 07:05 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

The clucking of a tongue echoes through the void, stopping the ibis headed being in its tracks and causing it to slouch uselessly. A new figure takes form from the nothingness, a pure white humanoid figure that burns in the dark around it, sitting above its fellow. Broken white lines, alongside the blue, begin to stream towards the glowing being at its appearance. Its face is a fine porcelian mask, caught in the throws of laughter, but though its features and manner are cordial, it sounds disappointed.

"Such a disinterested response to such a show...It makes Us wonder why We make the effort at all. Of course, that is why We chose you, out of so many souls that were available." The being pauses, pondering a thought, and his voice takes on a lighter, more humble tone. "I suppose We should apologize for Our behavior; We can prove quite temperamental, especially when Our hopes run so high, and We are made to wait so long."

"As for your questions...We saved you because you asked Us to. Granted, it was on Our terms, but all the same, you accepted, and you were so desperate, so desperate...We could not refuse you. I see that despite how much you all have lost, this is a quality you have kept. As to what you agreed...tell me, how many of you are familiar with Immortals?"
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Benedict

Benedict narrows his eyes with suspicion, bringing his hands together so that his large sleeves form a single unbroken shroud. "How do we know that your word is good? How do we know we agreed to... to whatever this is?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion: (d20+7)[9]
    Last edited by VoxPVoxD; 2009-01-21 at 09:58 PM.
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

23. - Top - End - #23

"Uh, come on...Guy...don't go there..." Basileus groans uneasily, "...those kind of questions are just going to make this harder on all us...we're here now, just flow with it..."

~Kahlil Gibran

24. - Top - End - #24

Loshar

Leaning to one side, the doppelganger whispers loudly enough to be hear by those closest to him:

Is it just me, or did the happy lady just ask the amnesiacs if they remembered something?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The genasi woman growls angrily. "I suppose it doesn't really matter if its word is good. As long as it can pay for my services, I'll do what it wants.

Still, I've gotta have something left, right? I mean, even if I don't have a lot of money left, I'm not going to be too useful without a weapon, and this armor is going to be useless now..."
    To demonstrate this last point, she grabs one of her ashen shoulder guards and easily tears it off. "I'm sure I had more than one suit of armor. Maybe troll-hide, or snow bear? Something? And a weapon?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion - (1d20+4)[6]

26. - Top - End - #26

Question Re: Einheriar

Basileus

"...uh..." Basileus scratches his head, an uneasy frown forming.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+8)[28]

"An immortal..." The frown deepens, a faint glimmer of recollection lighting in his eyes. "...a being that is created...with a perfect interdependence of spirit and flesh, so that it never ages..." He swallows, looking all the more nervous, "...an outsider? I mean, what...we...they..." He pauses to scratch an ear, collecting his few scattered fragments of remembrance, "...the kind of creature that is...called an outsider on the material plane?"
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-23 at 12:51 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: Einheriar

Benedict

The tall, robed man takes a measured step towards the bariaur, never taking his eyes off the masked entity that offered question and answer. His hands tighten involuntarily into fists.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

The white woman laughs at the baraiur's question, shaking her head while her cackle echoes throughout the infinite darkness. "No, what We speak of is not such a simple thing. If that was all We wanted, we could take it Ourselves. Besides, they are barely alive to being with, and the soul is so difficult to remove, and...it's tiring just talking about it. Powers are no better, running from the end that comes to all creatures. A pitiful existence."

"The creatures We speak of," the being ontinues, "live mortal lives, and die mortal deaths, but do not pass on as mortals do. The soul remains, to return to the body, or to find a new one. These are no spirits, though...they return to life by their own power, changed by the journey, but always returning. What We ask of you is to kill them, and bring the soul to Us. To do so, you will kill them with this."

A grey being appears at this moment, all straight, converging lines; its face is sheer and metal, and three lines are cut in it to make up eyes and mouth. it resembles an arrow head. A blade is held in the being's hands, though it has no handle, only the curve of a cutting surface. "Such a simple task, and you have so much to gain. It's no
    wonder why you chose to accept."

Suddenly, the ibis headed one whirls to face the genasi, ruby eyes alight. "And what do the dead bring with them? Incense and riches and armor? To what end would they need it?" The black-shrouded one leans in closer, an edge creeping into its voice. "Would you strongarm death itself to carry a bit of gold to their rest?"

The white one reanimates as the black one slouches once more, interrupting its rant. "We would not send you out empty-handed, of course. We are gracious, in that way."

The grey one shifts again, waving over the ground while a collection of items appears. The blade is among them.

The others are:

Spoiler
    Show
    - A tarnished silver shield, graven with the figure of an angel on its face. Though the angel is dressed for battle, she smiles, and her arms are stretched outward, as if waiting to embrace. (Heavy Shield)

- A thick white coat, with two large pockets on the front and silver stitching. The front is splattered with dried blood. (Cloth Armor)

- An iron necklace, carved in the head of demon sticking its tongue out. It is coated in rust, and a red liquid seems to run from its tongue when touched. (Holy Symbol)

- A long spear of gold, gleaming with a light of its own. It strains the eyes to look at it, almost as if it glows brighter from the attention. (Long Spear)

- A pair of thick leather gloves. It is stitched with iron wires, and it made from many different types of hide. (Hands - Gloves)

- A flat, sheer piece of obsidian, with a leather strap that wraps around its back. Two slits are carved near the top. (Face - Mask)

"Please, feel free to take what you need...but refrain from being too greedy."
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

confused Re: Einheriar

Benedict

Benedict leans down, taking the angelic shield in both hands. He looks up at the mysterious and apparent benefactors. "Who are you? What are you called? What do you want from us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion check, to see if I can glean anything about the shield or the angel depicted: (d20+7)[13]
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

30. - Top - End - #30

Loshar

Drawn by an impossible curiosity, still clutching his head with one hand (headache!), the skinny human steps to the pile and removes the blade, hefting it in his hands.

Kill an immortal, eh? Never done that before...I think...