New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Stories of the Venture (Freeform Serenity)

Stories of the Venture

It is a bustling day at the Eavesdown Docks on Persephone. The spaceport is chocked full of people and the skies are almost black with traffic from ships zooming through the air. On these docks, crowded amidst the street vendors, vagabonds, harpers, and thugs are ships of every make and model imaginable: from the largest of the old cargo freighters to the sleek new personal cruisers of the incredibly wealthy. A man could make a real life decision standing in these docks. One step onto any one of these ships would lead you to a life of adventure out in the black.

How curious it is that our tale does not begin at the Eavesdown Docks. Instead, we turn to a large field some 15 miles from the docks. Owned and operated by the sleaziest man in all the ‘Verse, the place is called “Louie Chan’s Shipyard.” Though this name is painted sloppily on a rusty sign by the trailer Louie lives in, everyone from here to Boros knows this place as one thing only: “The Graveyard.” Here lay the shells and skeletons of many a ship, packed similarly to the Eavesdown Docks but lacking the bustling life underneath. Boats are parked here for all manners of reasons and nearly every one of them has an occupant, whether legitimate or not. As you disembark the train and make your way to the Graveyard, you see the looming hulls of these vessels from several streets away.

Through one way or another you came to hear about a crew being chartered by a man who referred to himself as “The Duke.” While many of the crews being assembled at the Eavesdown Docks were looking for very specific crew positions for very specific ship assignments, this one came across as much more mysterious. All the initial message had indicated was that “crew and shareholders” were “invited to take a gamble” to “undertake a venture in private shipping.” The location of the initial “shareholder’s meeting” and the discretion with which you received word of it suggested that this crew would be quite different from that of the standard freelance establishment popularized by certain television shows. Seeing as the last Fed you passed was boarding the train at the Eavesdown docks, you can’t help but wonder if the location was chosen purposefully to avoid the Alliance’s prying eyes.

The initial message also came with a ship name, one that draws a smile to your face as you finally pick it out amongst the ruins. The Venture, an Orca class mid freighter, sits facing the sunset as you assemble outside. She looks like a fairly new ship, especially compared to the pieces of junk around her. Those with an eye for ships can tell that she’s been stripped of all her essentials, though a glance near her rear suggests there’s still an engine aboard. A sign is posted on the closed (and locked) door to the main cargo hold, saying simply “First meeting 6:00 pm.”

OOC: You arrive at the Venture in the order you post, at the time you specify. We will be using this ship, designed by yours truly. Here’s a quick MS Paint job of the exterior (this ship was named the E.F.N.Y).

A Link to our OOC thread can be found HERE
    We have a Wiki, too

New Blood (almost) always welcome!
    Last edited by King Tius; 2009-01-20 at 12:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Stories of the Venture (Freeform Serenity)

Kenneth Selden
    A Korean man of about medium height arrives around 4:20 in the afternoon, wearing tan flak vest and fatigues over a black muscle shirt. He casts a wary eye around. He had had a run of bad luck. No one was buying on the border and he'd been forced to sell his own ship for debts. The nature of the message, and the person it came from, told him that he would feel right at home with the work that was no doubt going to be offered. Although he didn't like being left out in the open.He was fine with a gamble, he'd taken plenty in his life, like when he decided to switch to the Browncoats to get off Serenity or followed a dubious distress signal half-way across the core only to find an Alliance ambush. Fortunately they hadn't bothered him since but he always got antsy in the core. Good time to get off. At least the ship looked nice, if missing quite a few parts. Rubbing his black hair, he gazes around, selecting a derelict hulk and waiting inside for someone else to show up.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tidus Renn

Tidus wanders into the "graveyard" an hour or two early for the meeting. His whole life is carried on his back. He wears one of only two sets of clothes he possesses, a badly stitched up coat over simple brown and equally ill-mended pants and shirt. His pistols are at his sides, carefully checked over before hand to make absolutely certain that they were in good order. On his back, his sword rests easily, many years of usage having made him comfortable with the weight. Over the sheathed blade, his pack hangs, a battered but durable thing containing his extra clothes, a little food, a few well-used tools, and not much else. He walks into the shipyard with suspicion, carefully watching every shadow and the few other, equally mangy patrons. This wasn't a place someone went when they wanted a ship. This was a place someone went when they wanted escape, from their parents, their jobs, their debts.

Or their pasts. And the demons that came with them. Tidus was just such a person.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

4. - Top - End - #4

Lena Rassekh

Lena Rassekh picks her way through the wreckage of the Graveyard, following the directions she was given to find the Venture. She was hoping the advertised ship would be her escape from this world, but seeing the condition of the wrecks around her is starting to eat away at her dream. She steps carefully over some jagged pieces of steel and comes into Kenneth's and Tidus' view. They see a smooth-faced young woman in her early twenties, with olive skin and a long, thick braid of dark brown hair. Her dark eyes are moist at the moment, and she runs the sleeve of her worn leather jacket under her strong, slightly hooked nose to wipe it ineffectually.

Lena sighs as she slips off her vintage olive-drab rucksack and lowers it to the ground, taking care not to bump a wide blanket-roll (actually a quilt) strapped to the top. Her jacket is unbuttoned, and fits her athletic frame nicely except for the sleeves being an inch long. Her khaki trousers, on the other hand, are far too big on her, and patched many times. A wide synthetic belt cinches them up high on her waist. Her thin dark-green t-shirt is damp with sweat at her neckline, as is a bandanna of the same material on her head. Only her boots look new, though the four-pointed compass star stamped on the heel leather is the mark of an outfitter company that has not existed since before the Unification War. She wears no makeup or jewelry, but her face is clean, unlike most of the people in this part of town.

Lena is silent for a few moments as she rests, looking at Kenneth a fe meters to her left and Tidus the same distance to her right. She takes a canteen out of a pouch on her rucksack and takes a swig. Eventually her curiosity gets the best of her, and she gestures to Tidus' back.

"Where'd you find that museum piece?"
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thomas Nikagi

A young man, almost a kid strolls around between the wrecks and gazes on them with an open mouth. He looks worried and helpless while he wanders around, wrenching his head, trying to decipher the nameplates of the ships which have long rusted away. As he notices the group of people standing around, he delightedly pulls up a black leather bag that was loosly dangling on his sholder and walks towards them.

"Uhm.. Hi! I'm looking for the Venture... supposed to be an active starship landed here, but I could only find wrecks so far. Have you uhm... seen it by chance?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Bounty-Hunter and Veteran

The General looked at the crumpled piece of paper in his hand, scribbly writing all over it. He'd gotten it in a bar, not far from the Eavesdown Docks area for spaceships. The man had laughed. A gamble, he'd said. General Blackburn would take whatever he could get now. He had a job lined up on the planet. There was a certain man, who was of some notability on Persephone, and this man had a bounty on his head. Individual contractors, quite obviously, as the Alliance were unlikely to need assistance in law-keeping on a core planet. The problem was, these contractors wanted him alive, and if he kidnapped him his friends would want the General dead. So he needed to ensure he had transport before kidnapping the man. A gamble was good enough for him. He'd stormed into battle with less than that.

The General crossed through the junkyard, paying little heed to the barking dogs Louie had on chains near the fences, and after a bit of looking he found four people standing by a stripped ship. They didn't seem to be doing much but standing around. The General dropped the large reinforced suitcase he'd been carrying on his back onto some metal plates and debris with a thunk. He adjusted his hat to the sunlight reflecting off all the steel and glass in the junkyard and then took out a thick cigar and a lighter.
    "You, over there. You the captain of this wreck? The Duke?" he asked Kenneth, and then lit his cigar.
    "I'm here for the job"
    He puffed out a cloud of smoke from his cigar and added "Does that piece of shung-hau even fly?"

If you were an idiot you might mistake the General for a regular muscle man, as he was indeed quite muscular, especially considering his age. His collection of scars, unshaven grey beard and poor hygiene would only support this theory. They'd, off course, be utterly wrong, as a second glance could confirm. The General wore a tough, worn brown trenchcoat, which was suspiciously familiar to those the Browncoats had worn during the war. There were even lighter patches on his shoulders, where one would expect his stripes to be were it a military uniform. His broad rimmed leather hat and red scarf with white polkadots on it were clearly intended to hide his identity should the need arise. The most notable feature, for those with a better insight in people, were his piercing, shifty blue eyes, that seemed to stare right through you, through everything, but occasionally quickly dart to another direction and then back. Whatever the General was, calling him a mere muscleman would be a gross understatement.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-01-20 at 09:06 AM.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kenneth Selden
    Out of work black marketeer

Kenneth gives the newcomer a wary eye and replies, "Nope, Kenneth Selden. If it was my ship it'd be in working order......probably, he says with a shrug. Kenneth scrutinizes the man for a moment, realizing from his build and wear, he was probably a war vet. "You weren't part of the war by any chance, were you?" he asks.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn

"The war?" the General asks from the corner of his mouth, the other corner holding his cigar.
    "Quite definitely not. Name's Sei Sun, by the way"
    He shook Kenneth's hand, but as Kenneth was about to let go he squeezed tighter.
    "Why do you ask? You got a problem with veterans, son?"

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kenneth Selden
    Out of work black marketeer
    "A pleasure," Kenneth says through clenched teeth, "call me Ken. I've not no problem with veterans, just like to know who I'm working with."

My meager homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn

The General let Ken's hand go, slightly disappointed the man didn't respond to his provocation.
    "You may be working with Sei Sun" Blackburn said, "If the deal's agreeable"
    The General proceeded to circle the ship, tapping it's hull.
    "Sturdy, at least. Might just not fall out of the sky"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kenneth Selden

"I'll probably be taking it whatever it is, need some capital. Not a bad model though,"he says appraisingly, "Flew one myself a while back."

My meager homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Known as "Sei Sun"

The General turned away from the vehicle after inspecting it.
    "You're a pilot?"
    He adjusted the cigar in his mouth and pulled his hat up a bit so he could see Kenneth clearer.
    "I flew my own share of ships. Though I ended up crashing most. Don't misunderstand, I can keep a ship in the air if I like. Still, piloting wouldn't be my thing"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kenneth Selden
    Out-of-work black marketeer

Kenneth shrugs, "I can fly, used to run a discreet supply business out on the border. There's probably much better than me but I'm not bad. What exactly would be your thing then?"

My meager homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Known as "Sei Sun"

"Discreet, eh? That's good, I like discreet"
    That was a lie. He didn't like discreet at all. He thought discreet was the smart thing for him, but didn't like it. The General would more often than not go through great trouble in order not to remain discreet.
    "Huh? My thing? Oh, a little bit of this and that. Gunplay, mostly, but as I said I can pilot a ship if need be. My job tends to be getting people out of scraps"
    That was another lie. His job tended to be getting people into scraps. He wasn't a problem fixer, but a problem maker. Unless your problem was that certain people were breathing, off course.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kenneth Selden
    Kenneth nods understandably, "Not a bad shot myself, now where's this 'Duke'?"

My meager homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Known as "Sei Sun"

"A discreet supplier from the border who can handle a gun? You sound like a smuggler to me, boy"
    The General laughed, but he clearly wasn't kidding.
    "Now, I'm wondering where that Duke fellow is myself"
    The General checked his watch, which was some sort of relic with cracked glass, all kinds of strange buttons on it and a very improvised looking leather strap.
    "It's past six already. This punk had better not be late"
    The General slapped the side of the ship repeatedly.
    "Wake up!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thomas Nikagi

Standing nearby the two men, feeling slightly ignored and out of place in the ongoing conversation, Tommy's face finally lightens up as the Duke is mentioned.

"The Duke? Do you know him?"

Finally it dawned on him that he was standing next to the Venture all along.

"Oh... so you are here for the job too, eh? Do you have any idea how many of us they are going to need?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Known as "Sei Sun"

The General looked at the kid next to him.
    "If there's any question who to take they're going to pick me over you, that's for sure. You look a little snotty for this stunt, kid. Are you sure you wouldn't rather be at home suckin' on your momma's tit?"
    As always the General demonstrated a remarkable way with words. One that tended to make even the calmest man want to hit him.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kenneth Selden
    "Hey," Kenneth says, "it's not my fault the Alliance has embargos on certain neccessities of life outside the core. Extra cash is always handy." Turning to Thomas, he replies, "never met the man, I'm guessing you haven't either."

My meager homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Known as "Sei Sun"

"Oh, so you'd describe yourself as a Samaritan rather than a vulture who's only interest is his own purse? Question you need to ask yourself, before you go declaring yourself to be a saint, is whether you'd still do it weren't the money so good"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kenneth Selden
    "I'm not saying I'm a saint," Kenneth replies defensibly, "I'm saying I run supplies, some of which are illegal. ANd yes, as long as I could make a living I would keep running whatever people need."

My meager homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thomas Nikagi

Thomas wrinkles his nose and repeats a hardly audible "...suckin' on your momma's tit." while mocking the generals voice and turns away.

Rolling his eyes, he walks up to Lena and greets her with a shy smile. "Psh... Old people, eh? Hi Miss, I'm Thomas. Are you here to see mister Duke too?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: While we are waiting on everyone else to get on board I will start introducing my cast of characters, just so everyone knows I'm still here.

Dr. Eugene Roe
    A slender, Italian man dressed in nice slacks, a white button down, and a worn bomber jacket appears wandering through the graveyard. A medical Red Cross patch is sewn on his shoulder and a small column of smoke emanates from his mouth with the rhythmic tugs on his cigarette. He approaches the Venture and glances down at his feet, stooping down to wipe a piece of dirt from his well polished boots. He places his duffel bag on a piece of scrap, careful to avoid getting it dirty. Still holding his doctor's bag, he glances around at those assembled and then stares off absent-mindedly at the Venture's hull.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

24. - Top - End - #24

Lena Rassekh

Lena sizes up the young man accosting her. Dad would say don't trust him... but we may very well be crewmates within in hour. He looks harmless enough, and it's nice to see someone my own age.
    Lena does not step forward to offer a handshake, but she returns Thomas' shy smile.

"Pleased to meet you, Thomas. I'm Lena. You're looking for work? What do you do?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ubersquid View Post
    Thomas Nikagi
    Rolling his eyes, he walks up to Lena and greets her with a shy smile. "Psh... Old people, eh? Hi Miss, I'm Thomas. Are you here to see mister Duke too?"
    "Wow, did you just call me old, son? You want to see how this old man does in a fight?"
    The General pulled up his sleeves.
    "You afraid of an old man, son?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thomas Nikagi

"Well you know, whatever comes along and..." While trying to act all nonchalant in front of Lena, he is suddenly interrupted.

"I... I'm sorry sir, I uhm... I didn't mean it"
    Thomas backs up a few steps from Sei Sun and prepares to run if he would really take a swing at him.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Know as "Sei Sun"

The General spit on the ground and rolled down his sleeves again.
    "Coward" he muttered.
    "Might as well get to know each other while we're waiting for the Duke to show up. We've got a smuggler and a coward so far, who are the rest of you guys? It's good to know your unit before you head into the fray, I always say"

28. - Top - End - #28

Lena Rassekh

"Put me down as a coward as well. How about you? What's your specialty?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

General Blackburn
    Introduced as "Sei Sun"

"As I said, I get people out of scraps. I handle difficult situations well. Stay calm and such. Reason why you'd want a man like me on board is in case you run into any trouble. I mean the violent kind of trouble, off course"
    The General puffed out a cloud of smoke and look at each and every one of the people present.
    "Anyone taking "a gamble" might be able to expect that kind, I suppose. As for you, young lady, what makes you think we'd have use for not one, but two cowards on board?"
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-01-21 at 09:30 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Aaron Hale, mechanic

Aaron approaches the gathered applicants with trepidation. So these were the people that he'd be spending his voyage with? He attempted to suppress a shudder, but still he shook a little and the assortment of tools bound haphazardly about him jangled as he did so. He was wearing the last of his clean clothes (although 'clean' here was a relative term) having travelled across the planet to get here, and wearing a backpack that contained all his worldly possessions. To the assembled crew, he looked young, green and incredibly nervous. He cast an appraising eye over the people he saw (although he did not make any eye contact whatsoever) and the ship, before finally summoning up the courage to speak. When he does, the words spill out, and he keeps talking seemingly without regard for the actions the others take.

Um... Um. Hi. Hope- hope I'm not interrupting or anything? No? I'm, uh Aaron. Aaron Hale, and I was wondeing if you - well I know you are - were looking for a mechanic? Well, because, I'm one. A mechanic, I mean. And, well, if your ship is that empty, you might, uh, need me. As a mechanic, I mean. I'm good, well, very good. Um.

Hi. What were you talking about?