New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Prediction (big spoiler if right)

Maybe...

Parson will defeat Ansom, and gain control of the Arkenpliers. Charlie will demand Gobwin Knob's surrender. Parson's duty will force him to do what is best for Stanley. This will be bargaining for a cessation of hostilities in exchange for his services, thus freeing him from Stanley. Parson will break his duty because doing so is the most effective way to carry out his duty.
    Do not fiddle the safari men of wizards, for they bark quiet and un-create logs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Prediction (big spoiler if right)

Well, maybe, I suppose. It wouldn't be as cool as some scenarios, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Parson giving himself up to Charlie in order to save GK has been brought up before.
    Quo vadis?

4. - Top - End - #4

OldWizardGuy

I'm rather betting parson loses, but to prevent parson's disbanding, charlie will attack ansom and win goblin knob. Seems that no matter what happens, charlie will end up winning.

Remember, Parson says the goal is to not to hold the ground, but to force Ansom incapable of beating them. Whatever happens, I doubt Parson will outright defeat Ansom.
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Parson giving himself up to Charlie in order to save GK has been brought up before.
    But was the dramatic irony of Parson's duty forcing him to break his duty mentioned before?
    Do not fiddle the safari men of wizards, for they bark quiet and un-create logs.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Anon-a-mouse View Post
    But was the dramatic irony of Parson's duty forcing him to break his duty mentioned before?
    I mostly thought of it as a move up for Parson--hold the dramatic irony.
    Quo vadis?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm, not so sure. I don't see the coalition winning the coming fight, and the number of croaked that will result from that combined with the massive bonuses that will be stacked on the army (all of Stanley's bonuses too) will be enough to drive the coalition to a breaking point, if not to outright defeat. I don't think Stanley will be a problem in the coming fight because the idea of leading a massive army of uncroaked into a head on battle with the coallition is just the sort of thing Stanley would love to do.

After Parson breaks RCC, he will be facing a situation where in a few turns Gobwin Knob will have virtually no standing army, and Charlie will be in the skies with a contract to help a force that likely wont even exist. In this situation, all Charlie wants anymore is Parson and his artifact. Still, Charlie could expand his empire by forcing Gobwin Knob to surrender, rather then destroying it. This is something I could see happening, and would be good writing by not writing out any of the established characters from the story.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greep View Post
    I'm rather betting parson loses, but to prevent parson's disbanding, charlie will attack ansom and win goblin knob. Seems that no matter what happens, charlie will end up winning.

Remember, Parson says the goal is to not to hold the ground, but to force Ansom incapable of beating them. Whatever happens, I doubt Parson will outright defeat Ansom.
    There's one thing that every player should know about mathematics in gaming: don't trust the results as far as you can throw them (and, considering that they're either on paper, which generally doesn't go far in a windless environment, or is done on a calculator, which I'd recommend against throwing, well... you see where I'm going). I can see Charlie going against Ansom, probably by citing that Ansom cannot afford his services (a plot device that, although not directly dealt with or clarified in any way whatsoever, has been left open for later use if the plot calls for such an action). If that happens, Charlie and the Coalition will battle it out. No matter who wins, one side is weakened regardless.

And that's when the slim chance comes in. At least, that's how it is to me.

I also think that Parson won't defeat Ansom outright. In fact, that's not Parson's plan right now; at the moment, his goal is to make them unwilling to take the city. I'd put my money on a truce cropping up.
    I find D&D to be quite educational... No where else could they get me interested in math or statistics...

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Where did you start yours?
    I had two of the PCs in the center of a gang of orcs. Then, the third PC and my DM-run character came in to assist... Then they chose to go to the tavern.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
    I also think that Parson won't defeat Ansom outright. In fact, that's not Parson's plan right now; at the moment, his goal is to make them unwilling to take the city. I'd put my money on a truce cropping up.
    I think you're reading too much into that quote. To me it just sounds like the first question on your first test in that Military Strategy course you took. "What is the objective of every battle?" "To make the opposition unable or unwilling to continue." IE, it's a set phrase, not a statement of intent. Plus, if you do want to read that much into it, unwilling is far more likely to mean "Too expensive," not a sudden truce, especially since the personalities involved are Stanley, Ansom, and a Parson who wants to play this out