New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Heresy - An Unroutine Inspection IC

Sewage Run-off Lake
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Hang on, I'm confused, are you now trying to make your way over to the Factory normally or still through the tunnels?) Either way it wouldn't require a test, since it isn't very far away, you have a map and the servitor has pointed you in the right direction)

The men speak to each other about their leader. Upon agreeing on a decision, one speaks up: "Servitor, if you bring that man up here, we shall take him to a safe place to recover. He is our leader and we must watch over him. Best of luck on your mission." The servitor nods and throws Flair over it's shoulder. It starts climbing out of the pit and is soon on level ground again. The men remove their nose plugs and Flair's and hand them to the servitor. It gently hands Flair over to one of the men and they start towards their ground vehicles again. They disappear within a minute or so. The servitor swung back over the edge of the pit and got ready to help Mira climb down. The Emporer's plan sure was an interesting one.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridan View Post
    Lucious Veridian

"Damn, we need to go after them."
    Korland
    Or we could wait for the elite strike team and not charge blithely into our deaths. We weren't sent here to kill him, just to find out if he was a heretic

With that, Korland produces the quantum micro-bead (thus collapsing the wave-form), and speaks into it

"Inquisitor? Do you read me"
    Please note that this material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or instruction.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

Mira watches as the events unfold and smirks to herself. When the others are out of sight she laughs. That little adventure reminds her of the time her friend fell into the great sludge pits of death pass. The boy nearly drowned and if he hadn't been a true Catachan he would have.

I see the hive does not breed strong men. Let us see if the death worlds women can do better.

She begins to climb down the slope with a little lack of interest almost like she didn't care if she fell in the sludge.

crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

climb check (1d100)[13] str 40 check 20
    Check out my horrible homebrews

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Helping the Catachan the last few steps, Esther brushes herself down, and draws her laspistol.

You jest, Mira, but we could have used some support. Anyway, we have the map, we know our destination, and time is of the essence.

As they trudge through the mire, the Sororitas turns to her companion.

We may need some way through any grating or plating blocking up the factory entrance. Should probably save your grenades for genuine threats, and I don't think I brought any cutting tools. Did you?

I did once hear a story from a guardsman that the charge pack of a lasweapon could be overloaded, and rigged to explode - know how one would go about doing such a thing?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

Mira laughs at the comment about help. Then she spits a wad of sap into the mire. She rechecks her equipment as she listens to her companion. She unhooks her helmet and lets it fall to one side of her head and she unhooks the clasps of her vest to allow some air flow.

No I have never seen it done as my units were often deployed in deep forests and rarely had good supply support. As such we didn't like to waste equipment. However I do know of using fire to charge a clip so I am sure if we overcharge the clip in a similar manner a rudimentary bomb could be made.

She checks her clips frowns at her own lack of clips, than she rummages in her pack and pulls out a piece of dried food stuff and eats it quick with the sap in her lip.

Though such a tactic may be costly.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Esther smiles, producing a bandolier of three spare charge packs from a fold of her robes. Supply wouldn't be a problem.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turket's Office
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I'd already called the strike team as Wolfe on auto-pilot, but feel free to talk/explain things to the Inquisitor)

The microbead buzzes a response. "Yes Acolyte, I read you loud and clear. What's the situation?"

Sewage Tunnel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although Mira may not have been taught to climb well, her Feral instincts come through and easily help her over to the tunnel entrance with Esther. The servitor, having done it's duty for now, returns to it's hut.

The inside of the tunnel is dark and you are forced to crouch a little due to the low ceiling height. It's quiet except for a faint gushing of sewage, the drip-drip of sewage liquid dropping from the ceiling occasionally and the squelching of your boots. The tunnel seems mostly straight, from what you can tell, although there is nothing but darkness far ahead of you. As you progress through the tunnel, the smell of raw sewage becomes more powerful. (Make a Carouse test please)

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Carouse: (1d100)[9] vs T41, half that since she doesn't know carouse (and, being a Sororitas, shouldn't anyway), so 20.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    toughness 32/2 = 16+10 (feral world) (1d100)[60]

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    may the emperor bless my fortitude

fate reroll dc26
    (1d100)[1]

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sewage Tunnel
    Spoiler
    Show
    The nose plugs do their job for Esther, keeping out the foul smell of the sewers and allowing her to breath normally. Mira starts coughing at the stench, but luckily the Emperor is with her and her nose miraculasly blocks the foul smell, allowing her to continue breathing normally as well.

After walking through what must of seemed an eternity of dark tunnel, you notice a faint light at the end of the tunnel. Upon getting closer to the light, you come across a standing grate covered with the recently diverted sludge. The grate has a bar which keeps the grating shut and it looks like if you tried hard enough, you could pry the bar from it's lock and open the grate without using up precious ammunition. (You can make a Strength test to pry the bar off it's lock to open the grate without using a charge pack. +20 if you help each other, failure by three degrees or more gains you a level of fatigue, or you can use the charge pack and avoid the test)

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps there's no need for an unnecessarily wasteful solution.

With a few winding calisthenics - as much, at least, as can be carried out in ankle-deep mire - Esther shifts her feet a little to find a good footing, and then waits for Mira to take the other fixing of the grate, in a rough calculation to literally ex-tract the bar. When she has?

Ready? Three, two, one, heave.

Spoiler
    Show
    I reckoned I'd take the roll, since, by some unnatural fluke, Esther has a higher strength.

(1d100)[86] vs Strength 42, with a potential +20 bonus, to 62.

There's no give.

And after working from our own power, we must now try the explosive way ...
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-02-22 at 08:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

((do we get two tests with the bonus or 1? if two here is mine str 40 + 20 = 60 (1d100)[89] otherwise))

Mira coughs from the strain and the stench.

Indeed it may be that time sister. Hand me one of your extra charge packs.

Mira holds out her hand as she coughs and spits out the remainder of the sap to try and clear her throat.
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2009-02-22 at 09:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sewage Tunnel
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I was going to allow you both to make tests, as if you were trying again, but it seems the Emperor has abandoned you for now. Lucky, you avoided gaining a level of Fatigue, but only just) The bar is very heavy and the sludge beneath your feet offers little grip. The bar doesn't budge.

(Ok, so tell me how you're going to go about blowing the grate off with the charge pack)

15. - Top - End - #315

Spoiler
    Show
    You did? Huh missed that. D'oh!

"We're holed up in Turket's Office sir, himself and at least 2 guards have proceeded down a passageway. We believe they may have taken Mr. Jast. How would you recommend we proceed?"
    Please note that this material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or instruction.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turket's Office
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Understood Acolyte, stay where you are, there's no telling what foul sorcery Turket and his men might use now that their heresy has been uncovered. We are less than a minute from your position, once we have arrived you are to follow my lead." Replies the Inquisitor.

(Make an Awareness Roll please, Lucious can also make a Psyniscience Roll, if you have modifiers for hearing, let me know)

Inquisitor Pale's Strike Team (Litila "Halo")
    Spoiler
    Show
    (This might be repeating some of what I said in the PM, but I'm including it here for story purposes) You'd been on standby for over an hour now, waiting for the signal to attack a certain Bolter Factory in the Underhive. From what you'd been told by the Inquisitor, the Factory had been under suspicion of heretical activities and the Inquisitor had sent in his team of Acolytes to investigate. You and a couple dozen troopers were selected to form part of a strike team to act as reinforcements for the Acolytes and as the Emperor's Justice. You have been shown what the Acolytes look like to avoid shooting them by mistake.

Suddenly the Inquisitor appears before you and the troopers. You all stand to attention and the Inquisitor quickly briefs you on the situation. The Acolytes have made their investigation and have discovered evidence of Heresy. They have requested reinforcements. The Factory contains at least a dozen armed guards and the workforce is mainly servitors. Your arrival will likely be met with hostility. You are tasked with dispensing Imperial Justice to every soul in the Factory, from guard to servitor. If possible, heretics are to be taken alive to receive judgement, although you are authorised to kill on sight any who even slightly resist. The Acolytes are still in the Factory, but you know what they look like, so friendly-fire should be kept to a minimum. According to a transmission from the Acolytes, there may be prisoners in the Factory. They are to be liberated, but treated with extreme suspicion until a trained Psyker can prove no evidence of lasting taint. Once the heretics have been brought to justice, the Factory is to be burned (although to be carried out by other troopers). You are made aware that the Factory contain live Bolter ammunition and the use of grenades is to be taken with extreme caution, as well as your aim. The Inquisitor asks if their are any questions. (If you need to ask any questions, now would be the time that you would)

Once finished, the Inquisitor orders the attack and you and the rest of the troopers board three covered trucks and set off toward the Factory. You and about 6 other troopers hop into the back of one of the trucks. The other troopers and the Inquisitor get into the other trucks. Each Trooper checks his weapon and armour one last time and the trooper in the front passenger seat slyly releases the safety on a heavy stubber hidden by a piece of cloth, ready to cover your arrival. You were less than a minute away from the Factory and undoubtly a bloody battle that would test your mental and physical ability. The Factory was to be purged, it was the Will of the Emperor. And His Will be done.

(You'll arrive at the Factory shortly, ask questions, if you have any, now)

17. - Top - End - #317

WolfInSheepsClothing

Strike Team:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon the arrival of the inquisitor, Halo knew that the last hour bolstering the courage and spirits of the men with holy litanies would soon be put to the test. Noting the reaction of the men to the inquisitor's words she quietly listens until the Inquisitor Pale prompts for questions.

"Holy Inquisitor do we expect to encounter any psykers or entities of the warp?"
    Assuming we've not received a schematic of the factory otherwise she'd have already found the answer herself:
    "What can we expect of the structure itself? Has it been fortified? Will we be clearing narrow passages or securing large open rooms?"

[OOC]How are the other troopers equipped? If one carrying a decent quality weapon that is more potent than my laspistol falls Halo would likely pick up the weapon and carry on its holy mission in the name of the Emperor.[/OOC]
    Characters:
    Anton Dreln
    Korvick

18. - Top - End - #318

Korland

"Copy that sir. Will secure the area and await your arrival."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[93] vs 28

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, here it is - a charge-pack.

Down here, with the freshly-churned murk, speaking is not too easy. Esther hands the charge-pack over. She mimes flicking off the charge socket of the casing, pushing a little metal pin in, and then running.

Just before she hands it over, however, she pauses. From yet another fold in her robes, she produces her little tinderbox, that she used for lighting candles for services. All the times that it had failed her, all those embarassing failed rites - well, for once she hoped that it wouldn't work.

Holding the lighter at arms length, and cupping a hand over it, she flicks the switch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aha, nearly walked into that one. Esther's producing a tiny spark to see whether the sewer is full of methane. She's covering the spark to limit any potential chain-reaction, but if it goes off, she'll try and snuff it out quickly.

If the entire thing doesn't catch on fire, she's handing the charge pack over to Mira, then helping her to destabilise it. I found a good model of rules to use here; if we were using these rules, I'd assist Mira's BS of 37 for the 'activate with BS' rule. Wedge the charge pack into the great before setting it off, then run.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

Strike Team
    Spoiler
    Show

To answer your questions:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Holy Inquisitor do we expect to encounter any psykers or entities of the warp?"
    "I am unsure, however, as with heresy, it is always best to assume the worst and act accordingly. The Acolytes did not say that they had uncovered a psyker, only evidence of heresy."

"What can we expect of the structure itself? Has it been fortified? Will we be clearing narrow passages or securing large open rooms?"
    "The Factory is mainly of sheet steel construct, with a few small areas inside the Factory made of a crude concrete. I believe the areas that will have concrete protection are the owner's (Turket Regg) office and the explosive implementation stage of Bolter shell creation. I do not believe the Factory has been additionally fortified. The Factory is made up of several very large rooms with two smaller rooms, which are the guard restrooms and the owner's office. The Factory main floor has gantries where I would imagine the guards keep a watchful eye over the Bolter shell creation."

How are the other troopers equipped? If one carrying a decent quality weapon that is more potent than my laspistol falls Halo would likely pick up the weapon and carry on its holy mission in the name of the Emperor.
    From what you've seen, they're carrying a great variety. The most notable weapons are Lasguns, Autoguns and Combat Shotguns. None of them are carrying grenades. There is also a Heavy Stubber attached to the front of each truck's passenger seat, which, if given enough strength, could be wrenched from it's holdings. As for their armour (if you wanted to know about that as well) they are all wearing distinctive Guard Flak Armour.

Carrying on with the story:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The truck continues on it's bumpy way, it's occupants making silent prayers to the Emperor to keep them safe and guide their aim. The trooper in the passenger seat leans back to those in the back of the trucks and announces that you are nearing the Factory and deployment is imminant. The driver accelerates hard and from where you sit you can see the trooper in the passenger seat getting ready to take the cloth off of the heavy stubber and open fire.

Time seems to slow down and you can hear the hearts of the troopers beating from beneath their armour. Their breaths are heavy and hard. The noise of the truck almost seems to drown out as everything goes calm.

The calm is then shattered by the sound of a gun shot from afar. The troopers immediately tense up, the driver slams on the brakes and the trooper in the passenger seat throws the cloth off the heavy stubber and procedes to open fire on the apparent threat. You can hear the spent shells hitting the passenger seat floor. The driver turns to everyone in the back and yells for everyone to get out and stay cautious. Two by two, in the manner they had been drilled into, each of the troopers quickly hop off the back of the truck and begin making their way away from the truck. Just before it is your chance to hop off the truck, the gunfire stops and you hear the Inquisitor yelling orders to some of the troopers. The attack on the Factory has begun.

Turket's Office
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Lucious can still make the Awareness and Psyniscience tests) After about a minute of tense nothingness you hear an eruption of gunfire from outside. It would seem that the strike team has arrived.

Sewage Tunnel
    Spoiler
    Show
    The flame burns at a higher concentration than normal, but it is not really enough to cause any serious concern. (Those rules look ok, we'll follow those then, good luck on your attempt!)

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

Mira takes the pack and gives a head nod at the advance thinking.

You best step back sister this may get dangerous and no need for both of us risking ourselves.

She waits for Esther to step back before she wedges the pack in between the lever and the wall. She than pries the metal casing of the top and used the metal casing to bridge the terminals to allow a feedback reaction, but not before a quick prayer muttered under her breath to the emperor for his protection.

Protect me and delay the blast so that I might be unharmed.

She had seen it done a few times but did not understand it but she knew a las weapon back and forth so knew that such a maneuver was no good for the pack much like leaving one in the fire to long was no good. As she bridged the terminals she quickly turns to run well away from the grating.

crunch
    Spoiler
    Show
    BS check 37 (1d100)[56]

22. - Top - End - #322

WolfInSheepsClothing

Strike team:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Laspistol in hand Halo steps from the back of the truck and falls in behind the strike teams. Surveying the area for potential threats as well as any guardsmen that might be in trouble she moves forward at a steady pace. Trusting that the shield of her faith and a liberal dose of armour plating will protect her she moves towards the factory entrance.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness check for hidden defenders and to figure out where those shots came from (1d100)[76] to beat 31 before any modifiers.

Moves towards the entrance or if any guardsmen are outnumbered she runs to their aid though not into melee range of any attackers.
    Characters:
    Anton Dreln
    Korvick

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sewage Tunnel
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Hmm... the rules don't say what happens if you fail by only 1 or 2 degrees. I'm assuming the charge pack doesn't overload and you'll have to try again)

After several tense seconds, a great fiery burst of... nothing happens. The charge pack still remains wedged where you left it, but shows no sign of overloading. Perhaps the attempt was unsuccessful; either that or the charge pack was a dud.

Strike Team
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hopping from the back of the truck, you take in your first sights of Factory. It's a lot bigger than you thought. It is mainly built out of large pieces of sheet steel, held together with pylons. The foundation is a crude form of concrete. The Factory, although large, appears to be one-story only and to the East end of the Factory you can see three large chimneys, two of which are producing smoke. To the West end of the Factory, you can see what appears to be a hatch.

The other two trucks have already stopped and are unloading men, the driver and passenger seat trooper remaining where they are to provide cover if needed. The Inquisitor is already making brisk strides toward the Factory entrance, which is made up of two large metal doors. The other troopers are already taking up strategic positions to cover the entrance the apparent hatch, as well as checking the exterior of the Factory. Next to the entrance lies the body of who you believe to be one of the Factory guards, a large smear of blood and bullets covering the wall next to where the body lays. None of the troopers seem injured and there are no other Factory guards in sight. The Inquisitor continues to stride toward the entrance, flanked by several guards.

(I should probably describe the Inquisitor as well)

Inquisitor Pale, as he is know, is a very tall, slightly thin, well dressed man in a dark trenchcoat and wide-brimmed hat, which are both marked with the Inquisitorial seal (=][=). On his left side you can see a beautifully crafted sword sheathed to his belt and in his right hand a Las Pistol. He appears to be wearing Storm Trooper Carapace. His past is a little unknown to you, but you hope that once you prove yourself, you may find out more information.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

Mira curses at her lack of luck it was her first attempt with the pack so it was not to be unexpected but she had hoped for a little more than nothing. She edged closer to the device hoping it would not explode now that she was getting close. She futzed with the make shift charge bridge and and when she felt she had fixed it she turned to get out of range of the explosion.

crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

BS 37 (1d100)[65]

25. - Top - End - #325
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sewage Tunnel
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Wow, this is gutsy) Despite the additional tampering, the charge pack remains in in a stable condition. It would appear that these charge packs were built to be stable, something good while shooting, but bad for your situation.

(You can keep trying if you want, I don't see why you couldn't.)

26. - Top - End - #326

WolfInSheepsClothing

Strike Team:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Halo quickly falls in with the group about to breach the front doors. If the dead guard was carrying an undamaged longlas, lasgun, or autogun Halo will holster her laspistol and ready the heavier weapon after taking any spare clips. Otherwise she ignores the guard.
    Characters:
    Anton Dreln
    Korvick

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

Mira lets loose a roar of disgust at this packs apparent stability. She grabs the bar in frustration and pulls with all her might after planting a foot on the wall for leverage.

Spoiler
    Show

str 40 (1d100)[72]

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

Mira immediately regrets the unthinking decision as her foot slips and she falls into the sludge and her knee hits something hard and a pain shoots up her leg.

Gah Emperor be damned this is stupid we should have brought real explosives.

She hits the pack still in the grate and plunges the metal casing deep into the packs interior ad feels a shock as the energy arcs.

Spoiler
    Show
    bs 37-10 (fatigue) (1d100)[92]

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Strike Team
    Spoiler
    Show
    What remains of the guard is only holding a stub automatic.

The Inquisitor finishes striding towards the Factory entrance and stands slightly to the side, in case of any guards bursting through the doors. The troopers that have made a recon of the exterior of the Factory return and describe the exterior to the Inquisitor. "It would appear that there are only two ways out of this Factory. A delivery hatch on the west side of the building and this entrance. I want 5 troopers and a truck and gunner to cover the delivery entrance. I want the remaining trucks and gunners to cover the entrance, as well as 2 additional troopers. The rest of you, the time is now, the Emperor's Justice is at hand. SECURE THE FACTORY!" Orders the Inquisitor. 5 troopers and a truck break off from the group and head to the delivery hatch. 2 other troopers hang back a little from the main group, whilst the trucks close up formation. Finally, 2 troopers, with the cover of just over 10 troopers and the Inquisitor, wrench open the doors.

Troopers immediately start piling inside, letting off rounds without even pausing to see if the enemy will surrender. You see las shots impacting the ground around the troopers. Some of the shots find their target and troopers fall, injured, but still firing their guns. There is a lot of shouting and screaming. The Inquisitor is quick behind the troopers, beckoning you to follow. "By order of the Holy Inquisition! This Factory has been deemed Heretical under His judgement. The penalty for such a crime is death. Give yourselfs up and you shall receive a quick death. Resist and you shall die where you stand!" Yells the Inquisitor. Despite the shout, the gunfire increases and the Inquisitor joins in the assault; firing off rounds from his las pistol.

It is difficult see what is inside the Factory through all the troopers and gunfire, but you are at least aware that the majority of the gunfire is coming from somewhere raised inside this part of the Factory.

(You can make an Awareness Roll to get a better idea of this Factory room's surroundings.)

Turket's Office
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gunfire gets louder and you hear shouts from outside the Office door, although they do not seem directed at your position.

Sewage Tunnel
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Emperor, apparently displeased with your insult, decides to grant your request and the charge pack, given the extra pound, explodes immediately; sending flames roaring around the grate area and dangerously close to Mira. On the plus side though, the grate has been blown off it's holdings and clatters to the tunnel floor.

(Mira, the explosion is treated like a Firebomb, you take 1d10+3 Energy damage with 6 Penetration, you also need to make an Agility test or catch on fire)

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Mira

Mira hits the clip and it explodes into a ball of fire and she turns as quick as she could but the blast rips into her body and she rag dolls into the muck.

crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

damage for the explosive
    (1d10+3)[11] - 3(t) = 8 (6 wounds left)
    reflex 31-10 (fatigue)
    (1d100)[84]

Hopefully the fact that she is falling into the muck will help and not cause me to make a a nice flaming sludge
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2009-02-24 at 02:28 PM.