New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simulacra

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Simulacra

Chapter 1, The Voice and the Voiceless

Ash blows in fitful swirls across the packed earth. The deep, charred scent of the flats is masked somewhat by the stronger aroma of the torches being carried and lit in the center of the village. Each torch has a faint corona about it, like archons in the smoky night air.

The torchlight shows a village in disarray. Small, simple cottages sit in shambles spread loosely over the field. The soil is lighter, looser than it is deeper into the flats. It might even be fertile. Beyond, the smooth black expanse stretches into the horizon, indistinguishable from the starless sky.

The largest of the torches is taller than a man, and held by two people. It illuminates a severe-looking woman with dark hair and a lined face. She alone of the villagers approaches the group.

"What do you want?" she inquires sharply. She speaks quickly, as if she had thought for some time about what she was going to say and just wanted to get it out. "We've never done your kind any harm, not once. Now our homes are falling down and here you stand. I know you lot can speak. I've heard you. What do you want from us?"
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    through a thunder of seem
    though the stars in their silence
    say Be

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Simulacra

A few moments pass before a figure slips out from the back of the group, a tall woman of black metal who still seems shorter than most of her peers. Cracks run up and down her body, and her topaz eyes search the other woman's face for understanding, the furrow of the brow, the curve of the lips. Though her mouth does not move, the screech of strings cracks from her, and soon sounds, words, seem to follow from the noise.

"We are sorry for your loss...and I am sorry that you believe we are at fault for such a calamity. We have done nothing to you, and we would have no reason to do what you claim. We are not built that way."

Her eyes fall upon the people behind the woman, obscured in the torch light, and a thought strikes her. "Was anyone hurt?"
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Number 8

Seeming upon hearing the voice of its companion, the bulkiest of the iron folk comes to life. A seamless mix of gray stone and silvered metal, its barrel chest is transfixed with a single jewel that begins to glow as it opens similarly luminescent eyes. It stares around for a long moment before speaking.

There appears to have been a cave-in. Do you require my assistance?

Bright eyes stare unblinkingly at the dark-haired woman.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

A gauntlet of a hand brushes at the coating of ash covering the figure, his glowing eyes passing over the scene before him. Instinctively, his other hand rests on the hilt of the sheathed blade hanging at his side. When his deep metallic voice sound it is with a sense of purpose, addressing his companions rather than the others before them.

"A noble gesture, but keep in mind that these creatures are not like unto us. Explanation we do not owe them nor apology. Suffering is their lot and while we should alleviate it when possible our focus should remain on the greater trials before us." He tilts his head at the silent others behind him, continuing evenly, "They do not comprehend what has transpired and ruled by fear they would either challenge or flee from us." He gestures at the devastation, "The are agitated now but only their dwellings have been damaged. Our presence will only agitate them further, for though we are unknown to them they can sense that we are greater. Let us seek signs of what has transpired and then pass on."

Spoiler
    Show
    P. (1d20+2)[12]
    I. (1d20+7)[20]
    Misc. (1d20)[15] (1d20)[10] (1d20)[20]
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-21 at 08:53 PM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Azzie

A compartment on a third's forearm whizzes quietly, depositing a narrow but wickedly sharp dirk into her hand. Twirling it expertly, she regards the townsfolk with articulated eyes. "Clearly, this damage is older, the work of time and not catastrophe. Nothing new. I'm a bit surprised these folks haven't had the industry to keep their homes in a better state of maintenance though. Name's 356-89-AZ. Call me Azzie."

"Azzie" is much smaller and sleeker than most warforged, smaller even than most humans. Far more human-like in appearance than typical, she is clad in a leather jerkin and trousers over a dark gray composite frame. Half a dozen daggers and a shortsword are strapped about her body, as well as an unknown number hidden in compartments like the first she produced.
    Ferret in the Playground!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Five

Near the back of the group, a particularly soot- and rust-covered warforged pushes his way into the center. His voice issues forth at just the right volume to be heard by the other warforged, and no one else. "We will help them." Pausing to brush a stray bit of soot moving too close to a seam, he makes sure the others are looking in his direction before he continues.

"Qabil," he says, "they are as uncertain as us. The only difference between our two groups is that their ruined homes can be repaired. They probably believe us to be the cause; we can be the solution instead."

"AZ, unless those knives can repair as well as cut, put them away. We will simply have to build their new homes better than they could build their own. They believe us to be a threat; we can be a rescue instead."

"We will help them," he says, as if it has already been decided.

7. - Top - End - #7

Qabil

"Your compassion does you credit but it is misplaced." Qabil replies without preample, "Look at them, read the signs of fear that their flesh cannot hide." Glowing eyes remain on Five, "We are uncertain, they are terrified. We carry ourselves with composure and control, they are slaves to instinct and flesh." The construct shakes his head, "Good intentions are wasted on them, our presence will only distress them further. That may seem an irrational conclusion but we are not dealing with rational creatures. If you wish to do what is best for them, leave them to tend to themselves."
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-22 at 07:00 PM.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Azzie

Azzie snorts, the sound echoing in her speech unit. "They don't want our help, they want us to go away. And I am just as inclined to oblige them. We may have belonged here once, but no longer. In any case, I'm not inclined to serve people who have done nothing for me." Twirling the dirk again, she tosses it and catches the blade at its point. "And I play with my knives because I like it."
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2009-01-22 at 10:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Dolores

The taller construct woman turns from the human woman to her fellows, addressing Qabil in a low hum. "What is the harm in asking to help them? They may be frightened by us, but it is because they do not understand us; they believe us to be the cause of their misfortune. If we offer them our help, we can change that opinion...any creature knows that an aiding influence is not something to fear or hurt, but if we do nothing for them, we prove their preconceptions right, which can only harm us. Beside, they might know something that a simple search of the area could not, things that occurred before this. This can be beneficial to us as well as them."

She pauses, considering the possibility stated by Azzie and Qabil. "If they want nothing with us, then we have no choice but to go. But if they accept our help, we should not turn our backs." She stares at the others, waiting for a response.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Azzie

"Whatever. Do what you like. I'll trade or pay for information, or work as an equal, but I don't do service."

11. - Top - End - #11

smile Re: Simulacra

Qabil

"These creatures do not truly believe that we are the source of their misfortune, if they did believe so they would either flee, cower, or strike at us. Neither truth nor assistance is their goal in approaching us now, they seek a force to blame and we are a convenient target." Qabil answers evenly, "If we were vulnerable they would not hesitate to punish us in the name of justice for that in which we had no part. Because they do not know the full extent of our power, they hold back, but if we were to falter they would strike. These animals are dangerous, watch yourself."

~Kahlil Gibran

12. - Top - End - #12

Sledge

A low rumble from deep within Number Eight might approximate clearing the throat to grab attention.

Their lives are short, but filled with sorrow. It would be a small thing for us to lessen their burden for a time.

13. - Top - End - #13

Qabil

"If you choose to open yourself to attack from them, I will not abandon you, but do not mistake unity for consent." Oabil answers, his glowing eyes falling on FIVE, "I cleanse myself of responsibility for whatever harm results from this decision. In order yourselves, perhaps you cannot help but seek to put the world into proper order, but noble intentions do not make the results of a careless action less costly."

~Kahlil Gibran

14. - Top - End - #14

Sledge

Shaking his massive head, the golem of stone and silver spots something on the ground next to him and stoops slowly to retrieve it. When he straightens, he's holding a well worn two-handed mining hammer sized perfectly for him. He examines it thoughtfully as he replies.

They are no threat to us, and we have nothing to lose. Although -

He pauses.

This tool is familiar.

15. - Top - End - #15

Qabil

"Arrogance does not become us. There is risk in every situation even though it might appear otherwise." Qabil turns his glowing eyes from his companions to the creatures nearby, waiting for Five and the others to carry out their decision.

~Kahlil Gibran

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Azzie

Tiring of listening to the dronings of constructs that have clearly not moved beyond their original design, Azzie stops twirling her dirk and steps forward to the villagers. "My friends here are kind of slow. Do you want our help doing something, or do you just want us to leave? Your choice, doesn't matter to me. Just put them out of their indecisive misery."

17. - Top - End - #17

Qabil

"Do not put that creature in authority over us." Qabil states to Azzie in cold reply, "We are not servants to be directed. If you cannot lengthen your attention span, find a vent for your impatience that does not compromise our integrity."
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-01-23 at 03:46 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Azzie

Whipping around to face Qabil, Azzie's facial features contort in annoyance, and her dagger is suddenly back in her hand. "I am never anyone's servant. As I already said, if they've got information, I'll trade for it, but unlike those hulks, I'm not going to just bow down to anyone." She turns back to the villagers. "You. Humans. We don't know where we are. Tell us to leave or offer us a barter for information. Out with it."

19. - Top - End - #19

Sledge

Sledge drops the hand with the now forgotten hammer to his side and shakes his head again, in disapproval rather than negation. When he speaks, it is too softly for the humans to hear.

Caution is fear. I fear only failure.

20. - Top - End - #20

Qabil

As much as the metallic features of his face allow him, Qabil smiles, "Then I shall let my caution keep you from failure and, in turn, I shall trust that you will never fail me."

~Kahlil Gibran

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

confused Re: Simulacra

Almost all of the villagers had kept their distance to this point, and as the warforged began to converse amongst themselves they recoiled more. Somewhere amongst the few dozen or so assembled, a child begins to cry.

The only villager who had approached the group, the older woman, draws her lips thin. "We don't mean you any harm," she says, and with half a glance at Qabil, "And I'm sure you don't mean any to us." Unlike before, she speaks slowly, carefully. "I don't know how much we can offer, but if you're willing to help us then we'll give you what we can."

The rest of the villagers remain silent, except for the child, who continues to wail despite the efforts of the child's mother.

((OOC: We're gonna use the honor system here. Spoilers labeled with a character's name are for that character's eyes only.

Azzie:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a sound coming from the dark, on the opposite side of the village from the flats. The scrape of boots and the rattle of steel. People are coming, and it sounds like they're armed.

))
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    through a thunder of seem
    though the stars in their silence
    say Be

22. - Top - End - #22

Sledge

Taking a step forward from the back of the group where he had awakened, Number 8 raises one hand, palm facing out.

I require no payment. Where is your need greatest?

23. - Top - End - #23

Qabil

Qabil glances at the woman as she speaks, then turns his glowing eyes back to Five and the others.

~Kahlil Gibran

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Azzie

Testing the edge of her dagger, Azzie turns to Qabil, agitation growing on her features. "Maybe you're right. We owe these people nothing, and I'd prefer to just be gone. We don't belong here."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: Simulacra

Moments of heavy silence pass, but then the still night is cut by a man's harsh voice.

"Now!"

With a wave of cheers a half-dozen men rush from the darkness, some striking torches as they pass. All of them are armed, with maces, longswords, and long, thin throwing daggers. Two of the torchbearers flank a third, larger man, in a weird mirror of what had passed moments before. He's ragged and unkempt, but his face is unlined, showing neither age nor hardship. This man looks directly at the old woman, seeming not to notice the warforged.

"Three days, maven. Cutter Creedy keeps his word." The man cracks a dark, gap-toothed grin. "And you don't seem to be in a position to put up much of a fight."

There's a heartbeat's pause. In the stillness and tension a brief window opens for action, be it attack or retreat. The old woman identified as the maven merely swallows and stands her ground.
    Last edited by VoxPVoxD; 2009-01-27 at 09:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Azzie

"Yeah, I'm not going to let you push these people around."
    Stepping lightly toward the threatened villagers, Azzie whips her slender dirk at the bandit leader.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard-Deft Strike Move 2 NW
    Attack-(d20+11)[17]* Damage-(d4+5)[8]+(2d6+2)[6]
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2009-01-28 at 11:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Number 8

Sledge has a simple, even childlike, mind. If that leaves him incapable of understanding complicated motivations, it also makes him sensitive to very simple ones. This man is a bully and a thug. The thought is concurrent with action.

Bringing up the nearly forgotten sledgehammer and gripping it with both silver hands, the mining automaton steps forward. To his mind, talking further would only delay the inevitable: at some time or another, someone would have to kill this man for the common good.

Might as well be me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking the map as a large chess board, Sledge moves to E5 (next to the armed villager).
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[2]
    Epic natural one.
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-01-28 at 11:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Thumbs up Re: Simulacra

Qabil

"This is an old quarrel between their packs, our intervention will do nothing to create balance here." Qabil states firmly, drawing his blade in a single smooth motion but making no move to use it, "If you truly wish to bring order to their lives you should tame the wild, not trust it to tame itself. Remember my words if you wish for this bloodshed to be not meaningless..."

Spoiler
    Show
    To verify that the next sentence is true.

Insight: (1d20+7)[18]

He points his blade in the direction of the leader of the 'attackers', stating calmly, "He is the alpha, if we defeat him the others will scatter."

~Kahlil Gibran

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Dolores

If it could have, Dolores's body would have tensed at the man's edged voice. It was the voice of a man who knew violence, who loved it for its sake, regardless of what it gave him. It was also a voice of one that knew it was going to enjoy what came next. A burning feeling rose in Dolores's chest, and before she knew it, she had sprinted to the side of the innocent. The fire rose as coils of thick smoke poured from her mouth, and they clung to her as the strings that made her voice snapped to life. "You will take nothing from them tonight...And you will leave with less."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Dolores 6 paces North. Gain Shadow Walk (concealment).
    Last edited by Belobog; 2009-01-29 at 04:36 AM.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Five

"Something we agree on, Qabil," Five snorts. He shakes for a moment, soot and rust flakes scattering, before unsheathing his longsword and unstowing his shield. A look of concentration wrinkling his metallic brow, he slides past Qabil and nudges through the terrified humans before him. A steely glare is leveled at the man known as Cutter Creedy.

"No," he says to the man, and readies himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Warlord to F4
    Initiative: (d20+2)[6]