New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 139 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 126

It seems the mortal hand of my god has taken to the field. Truly, these are glorious days filled with sights both horrible and wonderful.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I just wet myself.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the exploding crap golem, I'm pretty sure that wasn't part of the spell. He looks like he was just sitting there waiting for Sizemore to pop him.

Also, are the two warlords out of the battle or was that strike just to start picking away at their HP?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by glenstorm74 View Post
    May I get some help with those acronym sound effects?

YTMND? I saw a link above that this has something to do with Star Wars?

NSFW? Not safe for work? What's not safe? The shockamancy?

4Chan Huh? I read on wiki that this is a hacker group? What do they have to do with anything?

I think I'm revealing my age with this post.
    Afraid so. YTMND is a bunch of looped sound clips that have pictures or text attached. There's also stuff like this, I just picked that one because, well, it's a trap.
    The things that the shockamancy incantations reference are extremely NSFW.
    4chan is basicly the dark abyss of the internet from which horrors like the things the shockamancy incantations reference arise. Some silly amusing things come from there too, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

4Chan Huh? I read on wiki that this is a hacker group? What do they have to do with anything?

Simplest to explain first: "NSFW" is, indeed, "Not Safe For Work"; here I think it's just a related acronym, and the fact that those are literally exploding feces golems.

"YTMND" is a...well, it's sorta difficult to explain. It stands for "You're The Man Now Dog" and is a sort of massive collection of short gif images, at least that's what its main output is. People upload little short gif-image loops synced (often poorly) to a short audio loop...but I don't think that's all YTMND does, I just don't know it that well.

4chan is, honestly, the quintessential internet in many ways. It's not a hacker site directly, though many that frequent it are hackers. It's really just an image board, and a very very NSFW one at that, in some of its sections. The mentality of the group on 4chan is...very interesting, from a social sciences standpoint.

I really haven't answered much, I don't think. Best way to learn is to go to UrbanDictionary.com and type in "YTMND" and "4chan" and read on; be forewarned, however, that 4chan is much like cthulu, in that even just perusing information about it can drive you insane. =p

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Only Sizemore could ride into battle on the shoulders of a Mister T-Golem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Shockamancy:

See also Appalling, Traumatic, Ghastly, Atrocious, Toxic, "Things You Can't Unsee".
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

This was 31 flavors of wonderful. Way to set up us the bomb!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ewww, the NSFW effect stuff is YELLOW. What's yellow and associated with crap?
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Epic troll.

That was my first thought on seeing what the nuke consisted of.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Magnor Criol View Post
    Simplest to explain first: "NSFW" is, indeed, "Not Safe For Work"; here I think it's just a related acronym, and the fact that those are literally exploding feces golems.
    The crap golem explodes some time after the NSFW. Given Parson's orders (find a leadership stack, shock it, and crap it), one assumes the NSFW is simply something so horrible that it will shock the brains of anyone seeing it (other than the caster), which then leaves them helpless for the crap golem explosion.

Incidentally, YTMND stands for "You're The Man Now, Dog", which is kind of appropriate for the wiener-dog rammers regardless of what you normally find under that acronym.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sizemore is not wearing any pants.
    Why is he not wearing any pants?!

Kind of thematically appropriate though.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

13. - Top - End - #73

It's innocent people like you that make me feel this comic is way outside the family friendly atmosphere of the story. If you should google any of the incantations, it would be beyond NSFW.... not safe for work can be as tame as too many bikini clad women on one page. Those incantations are reference to stuff rated X, and designed to gross you out as well. Well, meatspin just makes me laugh... but I'm a sick, sick puppy.

4chan, a hacker group? A handful of script kiddies and a massive swarm of wannabes. And no shop talk, which you think a hacker group would have. Because the board is anonymous, malicious pranksters like to reference the board as their calling card... and this can include more normal pranks and not just computer vandalism. Like when one brave member called in to some public radio and/or tv show and got on the air and dropped injoke after injoke. I used to love the place, back in 2005. Then it changed. Oldfag is old. And when you understand that, your journey to the dark side will be complete.

Anyways, for me the jury on Shockmancy is still out. A lot of jurors are registering in with "Emotional shock," but the yellow blasts still leave the option of "multilayered pun" and some physical damage as well. Although Parson may find himself immune to Shockmancy... how's that for value?

And let's remember that at least one member of the coalition agreed to Ansom's plan whole heartedly.

But Sizemore's attack feels early. If the plan is to get the troops into the courtyard before creating nice big piles of corpses for uncroaking, this might give Ansom the opportunity to realize his mistake and pull back before the worst happens. Sure, the troops might have less of a bonus now... but that just makes it harder for them to breach the walls and get them where Parson wants them. OTOH, Ansom may feel pressured and become more desperate to end the battle quickly.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The crap golem explodes some time after the NSFW. Given Parson's orders (find a leadership stack, shock it, and crap it), one assumes the NSFW is simply something so horrible that it will shock the brains of anyone seeing it (other than the caster), which then leaves them helpless for the crap golem explosion.
    OK, people are struggling to work out what Shockamancy does. The simplest and easiest, but by no means most enjoyable, way to understand is to visit some of the sites from Sizemores "magic" words. Note your experiences.

There are links from the relevant wikipedia/urban dictionary articles:

Lemonparty
    Tubgirl
    Meatspin
    Goatse!

Given that Erfworld censors expletives and is generally kid-friendly, I imagine that these images would be even more devastating to the natives than on us hardened Internet veterans.

It's a guess, but I would say that crap golems have the inherent ability to explode (although maybe it can only be triggered by a warlord or the caster pulling their finger?) rather than it be part of the spell.

Although it's impossible to tell, you would assume that Ansom is talking to Duke Nozzle and the female warlord who got crapped when he said "When the entrance is breached, rush your infantry. All of it". Assuming they are out of action, he's going to need someone else to lead the charge (the angry redhead?). Even it they are still able to act as warlords, based on Parsons comments from the previous strip, their effectiveness as leaders is going to be compromised for some time after this.
    Last edited by MadMaw; 2009-01-24 at 02:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

So did you think sofaking and the siege commandress got captured, collected or croaked?

Im thinking captured or collected, since
    They could carry items, to get for item pileup.
    they can may be converted into ascets (uncroaked warlords)
    Wanda like prisoners

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Wiener-Rams really saved my day. *is still snickering madly*
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Pull my finger.

Fart jokes never gets old

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

by far my favorite page of the whole comic strip. I'm pretty sure the two warlords are dead given the size of the explosion and how they were being held in the center of it.

Also, if you notice, they both called they're forces towards them, which is the exact oppositte thing you want to do for an area of effect spell

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that Shockamancy is best compared to evocation/invocation/direct damage. Given that all the names of the schools and classes of magic in Erfworld are on the cute side, I would bet that Shockamancy is so named because it sounds the cutest of all the potential names for this school i.e. as opposed to "fireballamancy" "nukamancy" or "blastamancy"

I interpret Shockamancy the above, considering it's in the same class as Croakamancy and Deletionism...which uses both motion and matter A fireball (or in this particular case, multiple energy bolts (fire? force? energy?)) most assuredly uses motion (fireball from point a to point b) and matter (fireball)

Therefore, while Croakamancy is necromancy and deletionism is... death spells? power word kill? disintegrate? no examples on that one. Shockamancy is to put it in simple terms "blow you up" I bet a pure Shockamancer would resemble the classic mage hurling fireballs, lightning bolts, and other things.

In terms of Erfworld, I'd bet a Shockamancer would be treated as artillery...if the spell that Wanda cast on Jillian's forces and Charlie's Archons is any indicator.

With that aside, I do have one question which has been nagging the heck outta me. Why, oh why, does the RCC not seem to have ANY casters other than healers? That strikes me as a strategic blunder. It's like today's armies going into battle without their recon satellites (lookamancy) artillery (shockamancy) and camouflage (foolamancy). Talk about being unprepared for a conflict...

EDIT: because I know it'll come up inevitably, I humbly propose that the Crap Golem explosion is a purely Dirtamancer effect as opposed to a Shockamancy effect. I'd bet that blowing up 4Chan style is either something that a Crap Golem can do naturally (think infested Terran from Starcraft) or otherwise is a spell that a Dirtamancer can cast on his golems to make them do so. My proof? Sizemore, who freely admits that all he's good at is Dirtamancy, needed a scroll to cast the magic bolts that multi-targeted the enemies in front of him. He needed no such thing to pull off the Crap Golem explosion...merely pulling it's finger did the trick.
    Last edited by Dystopianman; 2009-01-24 at 04:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarGamer View Post
    Caramel Dansen?
    Oh man. That is too intense for words.

That calls for its own fan-made Flash animation, even if it doesn't happen in the comic. Loop of Anime Parson and Anime Wanda doing CaramellDansen. I hope someone's up to the challenge because I can't animate for boop.

I can totally see that! They both have body shapes that would look extremely amusing while doing the dance.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keeganknorr View Post
    by far my favorite page of the whole comic strip. I'm pretty sure the two warlords are dead given the size of the explosion and how they were being held in the center of it.

Also, if you notice, they both called they're forces towards them, which is the exact oppositte thing you want to do for an area of effect spell
    The warlords were pretty much taken out of the action when the Golem grabbed them. I go for the "Captured or Collected" angle myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

couldn't breathe, was laughing so hard :D

Rob, Jamie - you're both twisted geniuses of insanity.
    Spoiler
    Show

I live in frozen hell. Everyday, I see devils shrouded on the other side of ice. Their empty eyes glow with ancient fire, that won't sparkle anymore. Their crushed wings lie in the snow. That's my world, my friends...

Can someone help me convert AD&D2 67th level mage into DD3.5 mage?
    Did also someone notice that my avatar is animated? :D

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

The two warlords are croaked, either from being slammed together in panel 7 (apparently warlords putting their heads together for the RCC is a bad thing every time.) or finished by the spell. In panel 9 that same golem doesnt appear to be holding anything.

Sizemore couldnt continue to do these hit and run's if his golems continued to capture troops, carrying them around would restrict the golems and in the heat of battle there'll be little time to run them to a dungeon.

Awesome, awsome page! :)
    Last edited by MattR; 2009-01-24 at 04:55 AM.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

''Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.''

''Common sense is very uncommon.''

''It ain't sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.''

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Sizemore has gone from taking everyone's crap to being one of the best resources the Knob has.

Notice the obsession about taking out the casters wherever they appear. Even the lowliest of low casters seem to be powerful beyond belief...

25. - Top - End - #85

Panel 6 bothers me. They're warlords, for cripe's sake. And they don't have their weapons with them? During the Coalition's turn? While laying siege to a city? In the middle of what, even mostly pacified, still is a combat zone?
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2009-01-24 at 05:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonKain View Post
    Sizemore has gone from taking everyone's crap to being one of the best resources the Knob has.

Notice the obsession about taking out the casters wherever they appear. Even the lowliest of low casters seem to be powerful beyond belief...
    I don't see any indication that Sizemore is a lowly Caster... just that Stanley doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with a Dirtamancer. Why he popped one I'll never know, unless you can only decide to pop a generic Caster and won't know which type you'll get.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh. Should have expected as much from Naughtymancy.
    This space intentionally left blank.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    I don't see any indication that Sizemore is a lowly Caster... just that Stanley doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with a Dirtamancer. Why he popped one I'll never know, unless you can only decide to pop a generic Caster and won't know which type you'll get.
    I would tend to agree that Sizemore is no lowly caster. From the way he was able to almost single-handedly take out Webinar and Dora (with some backup from the spider cav Parson sent), I would say that he's a high level caster. I suspect that it was Saline IV and not Stanley that originally popped Sizemore
    You know me to be a simple man, Vinny. So explain this plan to me once more, in simple terms.
    -Don King

QFT

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

My guess is that the coalition leaders weren't croaked, but had their leadership reduced by the shock scroll and by being covered in crap. And I'd also guess that combining two leadership penalties from different sources can be more powerful than doubling up on either source (for example, shockmancy might take leadership (said to be a force multiplier - perhaps literally) down to, say, 2 but not below, golem hitting the fan might be a flat -1 leadership penalty) and combining them in this order could literally take out the leadership. Probably temporarily though.

Then again, my history with guessing here isn't particularly impressive.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopianman View Post
    I would tend to agree that Sizemore is no lowly caster. From the way he was able to almost single-handedly take out Webinar and Dora (with some backup from the spider cav Parson sent), I would say that he's a high level caster. I suspect that it was Saline IV and not Stanley that originally popped Sizemore
    We know this for a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopianman
    With that aside, I do have one question which has been nagging the heck outta me. Why, oh why, does the RCC not seem to have ANY casters other than healers? That strikes me as a strategic blunder. It's like today's armies going into battle without their recon satellites (lookamancy) artillery (shockamancy) and camouflage (foolamancy). Talk about being unprepared for a conflict...
    IIRC, it's been said that casters are too rare and too valuable to needlessly risk. The RCC was expecting an easy victory through overwhelming numbers, so why send such valuable resources along to potentially be lost? GK, by contrast, is defending their home turf.