Default Re: Empire of Shadowed Sands IC

"Such a simple question... So many ways to answer it."

Ohmel glares at Scheff strongly.

"How about you help me by telling me where Arakhun is?"
    Three over, two under, one stumbling.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

The man's smile slips immediately. You think he might even be sweating more, but he was already sweating so much from the heat it's hard to tell. "I...I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about." His eyes dart around, and settle on the small painting you had noticed earlier. The work is decent, but it's nothing that stands out. "Might I interest you in this lovely painting?"

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Come on now, do we have to have this discussion? You tell me where Arakhun is. I pretend that I never even saw you. It's much much better than having this little stand of imported items shut down by the guards, isn't it?"

Ohmel turns to motion to the nearest guard...

4. - Top - End - #34

The painting slips from his suddenly numb fingers. "N-n-no-now now! Th-there's no need to be so h-hasty! Arakhun, eh? H-he left the city! Took a caravan! I don't know any more, I swear!"

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Turning to Jamis, Ohmel shrugs his shoulders.

"Guess we'll have to pay the Camel guild house a visit then?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jamis shrugs his shoulders beginning to turn away. In a blur of movement he draws Shade, placing the knife under the merchant's nose.

"It wasn't hard to find you and we can easily find you again. We find out that you lied to us and you won't have to worry about the guards."

Shade returns to it sheath as fast as it left. The bounty hunter turns away in the direction of the Camel guild house.

"Let's go"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ohmel sighs heavily as the two head to the Camel guild house.

"Do you really have to threaten everyone's life after you talk to them?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jamis replies to Ohmel with a straight face.

"I didn't threaten the barkeep."
    a small smirk creeps onto his face, "I bribed and entertained him. Besides a good threat goes a long way in ensuring that certain people don't screw with us."

After several paces his smirk grows to a wolfish grin.

"And even tempts some to try"
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2009-01-28 at 06:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Well, so be it. Just don't get carried away. For now, we should get out of the sun."

Ohmel increases his pace toward the guild house.

10. - Top - End - #40

As Omhel and Jamis turn away from the stall, leaving the nervous proprietor sagging in relief, Ohmel sees an old looking man standing in the entrance to a shadowed alleyway. He's making eye contact and beckoning him closer. Ohmel also swears he can hear a voice in his ear telling him to come closer, but it should be impossible to hear him over the noise.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ohmel feels compelled to step toward the man, and does so, motioning to Jamis to show him what's there.

"What business do you have with me?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Question Re: Empire of Shadowed Sands IC

Jamis's eyes narrow when he looks in the direction of Ohmel's gesturing. Hands resting gently on the hilts of Shade and Breeze, he scans the alleyway for any signs of an ambush. As Ohmel initiates conversation with the man, the bounty hunter silently gives the man a good look-over.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive "Hunch" - (1d20+12)[31]
    Spot - (1d20+11)[12]
    Search - (1d20+14)[25]

+4 to spot and sense motive added from Favored Enemy(Human)
    Hunch takes 1 minute to perform so Jamis'll stay silent until that search is complete. I also know that the search probably is unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

13. - Top - End - #43

Now that you're closer to him, it's easier to get a better look at him. He looks to be middle aged, and the signs of that age are showing. He has a thin beard that covers the his face, which is beginning to turn gray. He stands a couple inches shorter than both Jamis and Ohmel.

When Ohmel comes over, he looks up at him, with a small smile on his face. "Thank you so much for coming over. I did so dearly want to talk to you." He looks over at Jamis, and seems to notice the man carefully studying him. "And you too, friend Jamis." He looks back at Ohmel. "I apologize, I am being rude. My name is Yagji, and I am a dealer in rare magical artifacts. However that is not why I called you over."

"I could not help but overhear you asking about the man Alruis Arkeve. I have heard the name. In fact, I saw him not too long ago. A dangerous man. I am quite willing to tell you what I know if you will complete a small task for me."

"In fact, as a show of good faith, I will give you part of the information up front, if you would like. The task I wish you to complete is to retrieve a certain artifact I have learned the location of. I would go get it myself," he shrugs helplessly, "but I am afraid I am getting to old to be running around like I used to." He gives a sad smile, and gestures generally at himself. "It is located in a small tomb not far from the city wall. It shouldn't be much of an inconvenience at all."

"I hope you fill forgive an old man his request, but it would be oh so kind of you if you could do this for me."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeing no reason to not trust the man, Ohmel glances back at Jamis before turning back.

(Assuming no interjection from Jamis)

"I am not a man who is usually for sale, but I do see the offer as tempting. Do you have any way to show us that this information is legitimate? More importantly..."

Ohmel's hand moves to his weapon, lightly touching the lethally ready chain.

"You better have your reasons for consorting with that man, Yagji. I can give you the benefit of the doubt as you are offering us information, but if this is in anyway a trap, I won't be so kind the next time we meet. Now, let's hear that information."
    Last edited by Wertible; 2009-01-29 at 09:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jamis says to Ohmel in elven,

"And you were talking to me about threatening every contact?"

With his eyes still on Yagji, Jamis pulls a small notebook and writing utensil out of his pocket. Putting on an overly friendly smile, he says to the man,

"Yes, let's hear that info. The particulars on that artifact and its location would be nice too."

16. - Top - End - #46

Yagji gives a small bow. "Aiiee, me associate with a man like that? My knees shake just thinking about it." True to his words, his knees seem to start quivering slightly. "No, better to say I am simply well connected."

"As for Arkeve, I will tell you this for now. Some of this I am sure you know, some not. Let what you do know serve to validate the rest. I am afraid that is the only proof I can offer. Alruis is part of an organization known as The Red Scorpion, which is a very widespread underground group with eyes for the throne. They have been around for many years, but have begun moving faster in the last century. I am unsure of exactly why though."
    He grins. "Perhaps the stars are aligning or something."

"For the tomb where the artifact is," he reaches into his robe, and pulls out a folded sheet of papyrus, and a ring, "here is a map, and a key which you will need."

Spoiler
    Show

Roll Knowledge Nature or Knowledge Religion if you'd like.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ohmel grabs both the ring and the map, turning to exit swiftly. He paces to his camel, taking time to examine both at both items before stuffing them in a saddlebag. Facing back to Jamis, he speaks.

The Red Scorpion, huh?

"We're going to the Ashworm to sleep, then we're heading for that tomb. You alright with that?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+21)[28]
    Knowledge: Nature - (1d20+9)[10]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jamis finishes writing down the information in his notebook. He raises a hand, signaling for Ohmel to wait.

"One last question. How do you know my name?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Giants I hate you so much it hurts. There. THERE'S YOUR TEN FREAKING LETTERS.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Nature - (1d20+6)[13]

20. - Top - End - #50

Yagji freely hands over the map and 'key,' and then turns to Jamis. "Tcha, I know your name, as well as the name of your friend Ohmel here. As for how? Did not I say I had my sources? Please, do not trouble yourself. If I have caused offense, please accept my most sincere apologies." He gives another bow, and as far as Jamis and Ohmel can tell he is as sincere as he says.

((Assuming no further conversation))

After walking away, Ohmel examines the map and 'key.' Unfolding the rugged looking piece of papyrus, he sees an old map, which, although small in scale presents an easy to follow route to point roughly 3 miles from the city.

The 'key,' as Yagji referred to it as, is a thin silver ring with a small inscription made in an unfamiliar script on the inside.

When he reaches the drover who he had paid to watch his camel, he stows both items away for the time being after giving the man a small tip.

With that business done, both men head back to Trade. By this point of the day, the worst of the sun's heat has begun to subside, and it has cooled slightly. Because of this, there is an increased show of activity on the streets. Mostly slaves on business for their masters, but the occasional soldier can be seen, including an officer, riding by on his Ashworm mount.

Soon Ohmel and Jamis find the Marauding Ashworm, one of the more reputable inns in Arq'Batal. Although the two story inn is of very simple construction, when compared to the Godpeaker's Bedmate, its smooth mud brick walls and wide doorway make it look like a palace.

Upon entering, the interior is much the same. A wide and bright room with bar on the right wall, and sturdy tables polished to a shine. Not many people are in the common room, but a polished looking man of middle age stands behind the bar, stacking wooden cups, and a young woman who looks like she might be his daughter is polishing tables.

When Ohmel and Jamis enter, the man behind the bar looks up from his work, and a wide smile splits his face. "Welcome! You two look like you need a bed and some good food. Travelers I take it?"

Spoiler
    Show

Phew. Anyways. I can provide a slightly more detailed description of the map for a survival or knowledge cartography roll. PMing results of knowledge rolls...

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ohmel takes refuge from the sun in the inn, and breaths a fresh breath seeing that this inn was indeed of a decent quality. He thinks back

"We'll need two rooms if possible. As for the question about us being travelers..."

Ohmel sighs and holds out the trinket that the guard told him to keep.

"That should answer your question."

I should probably study the map some more when I get to a private space. Same with the ring.

Spoiler
    Show
    Preemptive rolls on the studying hinted at in the post.
    Knowledge: Geography - (1d20+9)[11]
    Decipher Script - (1d20+21)[40]

22. - Top - End - #52

An odd glint enters the man's eyes when he sees the token, but it disappears almost immediately. "Well then! You'll be needing a room! Would you like a bath with that? And if you'll be taking dinner, would you like that now or later?"

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Little dense in the head huh?

"Like I said, two rooms, and I won't be having supper, thanks. As for the bath, I'll take it in the morning."

Rolal fishes into his pockets for some gold.

"How much?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jamis takes a sniff from under his armpit and instantly regrets it. It had been a week since the last time he'd cleaned.

"Yes a bath would be much appreciated. But I'll have dinner before that."

Spoiler
    Show

Preemptive checks to help Ohmel with the map.
    Knowledge Geography - (1d20+4)[15]
    Survival - (1d20+15)[28]
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2009-01-30 at 11:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

The innkeeper smiles. "Very well. That will be 1 gold per night per room." He turns towards the young woman. "Karri, will you show this man to the bath?"

He turns back to Jamis. "My daughter Karri will be pleased to give you anything you might need." He sets his arm briefly on Ohmel's shoulder to steer him in the direction of the stairs. "If you'll come with me, I'll show to your room."

-=-=-=-=-
    Up the flight of stairs is the second floor, which consists of a hallway with rooms branching off of it. The innkeeper leads Ohmel to the third door on the right, pulls a key off his belt and after unlocking the door, hands it to Ohmel. "Here you are. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask me or my daughter."

Saying that, he turns around and goes back down the stairs to the common room.

The room is simple but clean, with a small window on one wall looking out over the street below, which lets a fair amount of light in. The room contains a bed, a chest at the foot of it, and a small writing desk and wooden chair.

-=-=-=-=-
    Karri walks over, and smiles shyly at Jamis. She looks to be about 18, and has dark hair falling down to her shoulders in silky waves. She's really quite pretty. "If you'll follow me, I'll get your bath ready." Saying that, she turns away and walks through a door in the back of the common room. Walking down a short hallway, she unlocks a wooden door off to one side. Inside is a stone floored chamber with a large basin set into the floor. She goes over to a metal spigot on one side of the chamber, and stoops to turn it. Water immediately begins flowing out.

"It will fill soon. Is there anything else you need? I'd be glad to help with...anything." She blushes slightly at the last.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jamis smirks at the young girl.

"Well I suppose I could use a shave and someone to wash my back" he says with a wink.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ohmel studies the map and key, examining them thoroughly, glancing at his prayerbook as he does so.

Finally, after all these years, a path to Arkeve. I finally have legs to walk on, you miserable bastard. I will get you, just mark my words.

After studying the keys and map as much as possible, Ohmel falls into an early sleep, hoping to rest himself properly for the journey tomorrow.

28. - Top - End - #58

Karri blushes a bright crimson again. "Alright, I'll be right back then." She leaves the room and is back in a couple minutes. True to her word, the bath is full by the time she returns. When she comes back she is only wearing a thin robe, which she lets fall to the ground, revealing her slender form in its entirety. She shyly beckons him to enter the bath is she steps in herself.

Upon entering, Jamis can feel that the water is actually warm.

Karri chews on the inside of her lip, looking down at the water. "So, you're a traveler right? I suppose you've seen a lot of places haven't you? What were they like? I've always wanted to leave this silly old city." Her blush deepens, and she raises her eyes slightly to stare at him coquettishly. "I'm glad I stayed though. If I'd left I wouldn't have gotten to meet you."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I suppose that this place is nice enough." Jamis shrugs "I prefer the wilderness myself. There's a calming simpleness to it, despite the apparant dangers." he stops to yawn and stretch his arms. "For the shave, leave a goatee. I'm in the mood for a change of appearance."
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2009-01-31 at 12:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Karri moves through the water, and presses close to Jamis, beginning to wash his back. He hears a deep sigh, and feels the air brushing past his ear. "I dream about the wilderness too. It must be nice, being away from all the annoyances, like the guards and the army."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx