New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The game of Evolution

Hey all
    After roaming around the net and getting some inspiration from Evolution D20 (in the homebrew section, mostly concept right now but its cool) and the old Freeform Forum Spore games I decided to try my hand at some Freeform stuff.

So basically how it works is this:
    Health: How much damage you take before kicking the bucket
    Stomach: Same as HP but for food
    Toughness: Damage Reduction, protects against specific things (eg. mental attacks, sharp things)
    Senses: Multiple, just like Toughness. Can be things like Sight, Sound, Electromagnetic Fields etc.
    Movement: How you move, the more points in a stat the faster one moves. Swimming, Flying, etc.
    Attacks: How you deal damage durr. 1Dx where X is the amount of points in that stat (a lvl3 Bite does 1D3 damage for example)
    Evolution: Gain by eating, spend by reproducing and evolving
    Flux: Hard limit to how much one can evolve in a certain amount of time. Descends at 1/2 Stomach (so when you lose 2 stomach you also lose 1 Flux) and when reproducing (making a kid = 1 less flux)

Starting Stats:
    HP: 2/2
    Stomach: 4/4
    Toughness: None
    Senses: (to be decided)
    Movement: 1 (Swimming I)
    Attacks: 1 (Engulf I)
    Evolution: 0
    Flux: 0/4

Blinking lights go off all around, grey beings in white labcoats clustered around a small tank of water. Several small lifeforms already injected into the tiny biome and interacting, evolving alongside one another at glacial pace.
    But this, this was what the whole experiment was about. Chattering nervously one of the beings steps forward to press a button. An infinitesimally small thing placed right in the centre of the tank.
    The capsule containing the same initial compound as they themselves were made of, way back when their kind was created by another race of aliens.

Deep in the inky blackness of nothingness you feel something stir...you? Whats a you? How are you thinking this? How are you thinking at all?
    Your brain would hurt if you had one.
    All around you you feel bits of yourself forming up, compressing into an even smaller thing than before.
    Feeling yourself scramble and shift into place you try to reach out and see whats out there and whats happening to you.
    Something inside yourself begins to respond. Parts of yourself, which you want to call your DNA for some reason, forms and rearranges

First vote: What does your DNA form?
    Sight II (can see light Yes/No in certain places. Basically really fuzzy black and white without any distinguishing Grey)
    Scent I (you can kind of smell the presence of things and recognize types of cells if you get close)
    Sound II (The movements of other cells in the water draws your attention, basically very primitive passive water-echolocation)

Choose 2 please.
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The game of Evolution

I Hereby Decree Sight II And Scent I.
    Last edited by BasketOfPuppies; 2013-08-10 at 02:14 AM.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for Sight II and Scent I as well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You coalesce more, wriggling round with your tiny proto-membrane
    A final piece clicks into place and you can See! And smell!

You notice a really large Black thing right below you, several white bits wriggling around on it. A small clump (around 4-5) of black things not far to the south of you.
    Above is just empty whiteness. you see nothing in your field of vision, though that may be a limit of your vision.

Evolution Points (EP): 0

What do you do?
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by LordChaos13 View Post
    You coalesce more, wriggling round with your tiny proto-membrane
    A final piece clicks into place and you can See! And smell!

You notice a really large Black thing right below you, several white bits wriggling around on it. A small clump (around 4-5) of black things not far to the south of you.
    Above is just empty whiteness. you see nothing in your field of vision, though that may be a limit of your vision.

What do you do?
    Swim/float/coalesce/blobulate towards the clump of black things

Extended Sig

Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Swim/float/coalesce/blobulate towards the clump of black things
    Seconding.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

(I'm going to try and update once every 2 days, no matter how many votes. I have tiebreaker)

Deciding the white thingies on the black is a bit too far away you begin to wriggle and writhe towards the small clump of black.
    As you get closer you begin to smell their scent in the water, a smell that seems to remind you of submission, prey.
    As you approach they do not seem to react, floating there moving only due to currents and eddies.
    Drawing closer you notice one of the black things become wider, eventually popping off a second black thing. All around the others are doing the same.
    The centre of the clump, seemingly empty at first glance resolves itself in a kinda-dark way. Clearly some form of almost-see-through thing about 10* as big as you or larger and the current meal of the sleeping black dots.

OOC: The swarm killed it somehow, ate it and then went into Reproduction, budding off more of their kind, likely several in succession. Unfortunately they cant react in this state

Stomach: 3/4

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I vote that we eat prey
    This is a boring signature.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

9. - Top - End - #9

NOMZ!I'm hungry, couldn't you tell?

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Eat! Eat! Eat! Eat!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chow!
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Omnomnom.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GLOMP! You surround a splitting dark thing letting your primitive cell pieces eat it up.
    Repeating several times you begin to feel bloated, large and full of digesting things.

Your sight flickering off a couple times, each time a little longer before you don't turn them on again.
    Your DNA sequence being rearranged after looking at the dead things inside you. Adding your own little twist of course

Reproduction time!
    How do you reproduce?
    A) Budding. You form a small version of yourself with no memories and 1/2 health and 1/2 max stomach. It grows to full size in the time it takes to lose 1 Stomach but needs food immediately because it has 0/2 Stomach. 4 Flux gained but you maintain awareness. Costs 1/2 your max stomach (in this case 4 so 2 stomach) to activate.
    B) Splitting. Where there was 1 now there is 2. Both have the same memories. You can split for 1 stomach cost but must divide any Stonach between the two (so if a 4stomach cell split divide 3 Stomach between 2 cells however you want, from 0/3, 1/2 etc). Costs 2 Flux
    C) Egg. You can only do this 1 time every 6 Hunger (when you lose 1 stomach). Costs 1HP to use. A small portion of yourself detaches and floats away, a small time later hatching out into a Budded cell but contains your memories and 1/2 of its newly small Stomach instead of 0. Cost 2 Flux

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm thinking splitting.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll go with splitting as well.

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm fond of egg, myself.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I vote splitting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

3 Splitting, 1 Egg.

Splitting it is

A short time later your senses flicker on. Staring straight ahead at...yourself?
    So THAT is what you look like...You thought you'd be handsomer
    Speaking of yourself...WHY ARE YOU IN FRONT OF YOURSELF!!
    Turning your senses off and on a few times to make sure...yeah you are in front of yourself.

Stomach: 1/4
    Stomach: 2/4
    Flux: 2/4

Do you want to be the one with 1 Stomach or 2?
    Also how do you react to seeing a copy of yourself in front of you

19. - Top - End - #19

I say 1 stomach. I react by moving towards. It slowly, using my senses to determine more about it.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

While I say go with the one with 2/4 stomach. As for reaction, use senses to study about to see what it can learn.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't matter much short-term given you are in a massive group of things trying to multiply 5-6*

It does however tell me a lot for later
    Yay plot?

22. - Top - End - #22

Continue to consume.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Imp

lead split version and self to more of this "black cell stuff" and eat it, together.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Meta gamer View Post
    lead split version and self to more of this "black cell stuff" and eat it, together.
    Seconding. change my vote.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Giving the black spot another once over curious you wriggle over to a nearby sleeping prey, pushing it at the other you. Watching it engulf the food and wriggle in a general 'yummy. Also hi' way (no I have no clue how that looks) you eat another of the dozen things.
    As you nom your way to fullness you notice it seems to look to you more and more, almost as if its missing a certain Spark. Fortunately it is smart enough to think, just not adapt or take charge as much

OOC: Basically there are two kinds of You.
    A) Leaders. They are the PCs, the Chief (most of the time), the ones who adapt and try things not engrained via watching other Yous and copying. They evolve new things willingly, break the status quo and do general 'PC' things.
    B) Followers. They do what you've already done. Eat a You? Followers are now cannibalistic. Hunt the small black things your eating now? They will eat those things and hunt them when hungry.

By the time you get full, feeling your DNA buzzing a little with the bombardment of bits and pieces of partially-digested strands and rungs, you notice a few begin to stir, one close to you having just split making odd motions at you, both the newborn and original.

Stomach: 3/4
    Flux: 2/4
    Evolution Points (EP): 3

You cannot split for 1 Stomach-cycle (until your Stomach drops by 1 point)
    Last edited by LordChaos13; 2013-08-19 at 09:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

What else can I sense?

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The white moving things are still ever-present. The kind-of-invisible corpse is still floating.
    The only thing that changed is you have a buddy and the prey is starting to wake up.
    There are about 25-30 of them not counting any obscured by others or still splitting so its closer to 60+ by the time they awaken

28. - Top - End - #28

How much DNA/Hunger do we have?
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

I think we should go up to the moving white things.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Imp

could we split again? As there is safety in numbers.