New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: The Dying Earth [IC]

Variel

Variel shakes off the water, letting the brunt of it drain out from under his hide armor before he attempts to mimic Laertius and conjure some heat.

"Anyone need to rest? We should either make camp here again tonight, or we should get moving down the river. Shimal-Bolshy awaits."
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to kill you."
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to die."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Reed, once again, squeezes water and slime from his clothes and hair, looking annoyed at the grime before turning to his companions. "I'd like to dry out a bit before we get onto the river again. Still, I'd guess that we can go further before making camp; you three can all see in the dark, if I'm not mistaken, and I have these," he refers to the enchanted lenses currently wrapped around his belt next to his magic bag, "that will let me do the same."

3. - Top - End - #273

It takes five days to paddle down river. You pass many riverside villages, all abandoned and rotting. The demons seem to know you now; several times Reed spots a small group in the distance, but they quickly flee when they sight you. Twice lone raging demons attack you, to be dispatched with ease.

On midday of the fifth day after the demon den, you sight a mass of buildings on the horizon. As you get nearer you realize it must be Methana. There are rotting docks on both riverbanks, crumbling turreted walls behind them and rotting warships half submerged in the water. Even over the walls you see the topmost towers of two palaces and the steeples of two temples, a pair in both halves of the city. In the river delta stand two lighthouses upon small islands.

Now, where to go first...?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

"The old man said that he thought the ritual he wanted would be in the castle in the south half of the city, didn't he?" Reed muses, looking out over the water towards the ruins. "Took said that the treasure she mentioned was in the chapel on that side, too, so we should check that side of the river first."

The halfling looks a bit sheepish as he continues, more quietly, "I think we should search the palace first. I'd like to get whatever Took hid here, but it's not nearly as important as a better cure for the Red Death. If we find only one thing in this forsaken place, it must be that."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Laertius

Then again, whatever Took hid might be useful. Once we retrieve the cure, we'll need to make best speed back to the old man. We won't be able to make any stops. I'd rather we gather any resources that might come in handy before we paint a target on our backs.

The armored wizard shakes his head a little as he turns away from the city to look at the others.

But there's no way of knowing how things will turn out. What do you two think?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
    Laertius

Then again, whatever Took hid might be useful. Once we retrieve the cure, we'll need to make best speed back to the old man. We won't be able to make any stops. I'd rather we gather any resources that might come in handy before we paint a target on our backs.

The armored wizard shakes his head a little as he turns away from the city to look at the others.

But there's no way of knowing how things will turn out. What do you two think?
    Dolgan Glanbek, Priest of Moradin

"I'm with Reed in this one. Even if the riches of a thousand kings where in the sprite's chapel, it would not be nearly as valuable as a proper cure for Red Death, and my first impulse is to prioritise it over anything else. I do not know which of the two would be better defended, nor I follow Laertius' logic that once we recover the cure we will be any more targets than before. However, I suggest we first scout the southern city, and make the decision once we have actual information on the situation."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume Dolgan had time to study the three new rituals (breath water, walk on water and one other) in those five days down the river. Vox, not sure if you will want to study them as well. Also, is there a reason why we'd expect to be targeted after we get the cure?
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-03-16 at 08:33 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

"Further investigation is never a bad idea. It's entirely possible that we may need the items Ms. Took mentioned in order to retrieve the cure, if it's well-defended. I second Dolgan's suggestion about scouting the southern city before we decide."

Variel has been studying his new spellbook, during the journey, and in addition has been making notes in a journal after every new encounter with the demons. They are growing ever closer to the heart of Chaos, and that alone excites him. But the intelligence of the local demon population piques his curiosity as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll post in or edit in with a list of Variel's prepared powers when Mythweavers comes back online.

8. - Top - End - #278

Laertius

We've just come through lands crawling with demons. We'll be taking the same path on our way back. Since I refuse to underestimate my enemies, I must assume that they will know when we have the cure in our possession. That means we must consider that this trip will probably get more dangerous after we have the cure, not less.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
    Laertius

We've just come through lands crawling with demons. We'll be taking the same path on our way back. Since I refuse to underestimate my enemies, I must assume that they will know when we have the cure in our possession. That means we must consider that this trip will probably get more dangerous after we have the cure, not less.
    "Yes, I understood you the first time around, Laertius," says Dolgan, staying polite, if showing a bit of impatience, "but I still do not understand why you would think the demons would be particularly interested in defending the cure rather than, say, whatever treasures Mrs. Took directed us to. Do you have reasons to believe the demons are in the city to protect the cure?"
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #280

Laertius

Only what good common sense tells me. They're demons, prone to attack mortals on sight. Unfortunately for us, they're also, occasionally, intelligent. I didn't live so many centuries by assuming the best about a situation, so when I see the possibility of a malevolent, intelligent foe, I prepare for the worst.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

"Both of you, stop it. Laertius, Dolgan isn't an idiot. Dolgan, Laertius isn't an irrational money-grubber trying to find an excuse to snatch up the treasure."
    Variel narrows his eyes, using his detached, scholarly demeanor for his best disappointed teacher impression.

"The magic items might be useful, and the cure--if it even exists--is the most important thing. But if the magic items are helpful or even required, in order for us to get the cure, then they are worth a look. There is no sense arguing until we have a better sense of the situation. We don't even know where the demons are, or how they might be lying in wait for us."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

"If there are demons inhabiting the city itself, they'll attack us as quickly for looting the temples as surely as for the palaces. If there aren't, though, we will be able to search everywhere we need to without any problems. The problem is that if we stir up any nests in the temple, we'll have to deal with them and any that are in the palace."

Reed thinks for a moment, then looks between Dolgan and Laertius. "Do either of you know any special tricks that would let you know if I'm in danger? I'm nervous about going into a place like this alone, but I could go scout the way and see what dangers might lurk if I knew that you'd come running if I were attacked."

13. - Top - End - #283

Laertius

The changeling's red features pale a bit as his temper subsides.

Nothing that would alert us to your danger, but something that could keep you safe. If you were to borrow my cloak, it would make you hard to target at a distance; enough to flee in safety even if you were discovered. I believe you do run swifter than most?

Spoiler
    Show
    Cloak of Distortion inflicts a -5 penalty on any ranged attacks against the wearer from 5 or more squares away.
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-03-17 at 02:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Reed looks at the offered cloak a moment, thinking through how it will help, before nodding and taking it. "It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than nothing. Let's get to shore set up camp, then I'll go look around for a few hours. If I'm not back by then, come looking for me, and if I come back running, be ready to fight."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not entirely certain how many skill checks I should be making, so I'll make a few for both Stealth and Perception and any others needed TS can make himself.

Stealth - (1d20+21)[6](27)
    Stealth - (1d20+21)[2](23)
    Stealth - (1d20+21)[9](30)
    Perception - (1d20+11)[4](15)
    Perception - (1d20+11)[6](17)
    Perception - (1d20+11)[15](26)

If I'm spotted, I'll first rely on Impossible to Catch to go invisible before moving to get out of whatever it is's line of sight. Failing that, I'll also use my Feytouched Armor's power to go invisible before, again, getting out of sight. Both of those are encounter powers, so if I can find a relatively safe place to hide and rest for a bit they recover. I'll avoid attacking anything unless it's absolutely necesary to get away, and even in that case I'll use movement-granting attacks like From the Shadows to get away from whatever I'm attacking.

15. - Top - End - #285

You land on the dock, tether your canoes to a slimy dock post and then find a few relatively solid planks in a row to relax on. Meanwhile, Reed approaches the nearest gate in the stone wall which separates the docks from the city proper and prepares to scout...