New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice, The Seventh Saga

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I've never even tried to start an online relationship. What I don't want to happen is to make an emotional connection with someone only to find out later that she isn't attractive enough for me (or vice versa). With regular dating, I can make the "attractive enough" judgment before I get to know the person.
    I've always found people more or less attractive based on the calibur of their personalities rather than their physical looks, but then, I'm very strange.

Of course, I occasionally get bloody lucky and find a girl who's both a fantastic person and drop dead gorgeous. O'course, I always fail at step 2, having them like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Klose is not particularly dashing.
    Neither is Felix. I trip over a lot.

Personally Klose, I think you should try to forget about girls for a while and just enjoy being single - you're not in a good place for any love affairs right now and it all seems so sordid. I'd rest back and wait till something better comes along... believe me, being single is pretty fun

Quote Originally Posted by VeisuItaTyhjyys View Post
    felixaar: Kindness, which seems to be mostly what you give, never looks foolish. As for not knowing what to say, it's rather the story of most everyone's life, I would imagine.
    Heh. Thankyou It's so refreshing to talk to a person who does not yet understand my potential for foolishness

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Not quite sure how one goes about initiating touching during a movie, so I pretty much left it at... none unless she wants to hold hands or something after she jerked rather suddenly away from me when my foot accidentally brushed hers when I shook it due to a cramp.
    What I wouldn't give for your love skills I kid.

Coid, I don't think I can tell you anything you don't already know - this too shall pass, and sooner or later things will improve. I might reccomend the same advice I gave to Klose.
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Aright, bit o' Honesty for Serpentine time: To what extent am I justified in being... some combination of annoyed, frustrated, insulted and peeved, that both ex and his girlfriend, my former friend, have started working at the front desk of my work?
    Some possible pertinent information:
    1. They both know I work there, and have been for a year already.
    2. They are both working at the front desk. This means that I have to see them (or more likely, one one day and the other the next) every time I go in, and every time I leave.
    3. They're working in IT. That means that any time I need computer help, there is a good chance I'll have to speak to one of them.
    4. She mentioned to my beau that they'd gotten jobs at the uni (though she didn't say what, or where), in the context of "We're just so awesome at writing resumes, that we both got the first job we applied for!" That makes my hoped-for explanation, that they're just desperate for work and wouldn't have applied for that job if they had another choice, less likely, and more likely that it's a case of stupidity and/or selfishness.
    5. They know I still can't handle being around them or even really seeing them. I know that she, at least, also finds it extremely uncomfortable having to even so much as momentarily make eye contact. They know, or at least could guess, that it would distress, discomfort or even outright upset me. I can't think that it would be especially comfortable or pleasant for them, either.

Now, I know I obviously have no right to dictate where they do or do not work - oh boy does he know his rights. I don't think that makes it any less rude, and surely they realise that it's just begging for trouble.
    Really, I'm pretty over it at the moment. I've made it clear, from a distance, that I'm decidedly unimpressed with their appointment, and now I intend to just ignore them. I'm still bemused and irked by their decision, though.

Annnnnnd... over it 'least as far as here is concerned.

Nah, I got no advice for anyone this time. I'm having trouble with a friend of mine, but I don't know where to start articulating, much less expect to be able to get anything useful. Ah well.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2009-02-19 at 05:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Banned

MonkGuy

So my love life may or may not have just received a steroid shot to the arm:

Question: If a girl calls you "sir" what does that mean? Oh and the context is we're both college freshman taking the same art class. It's probably nothing, but I thought it was an odd choice of words to use.

In other news, I got an odd text the other day. Someone (not sure about gender, assuming girl based on message) text me out of the blue. No idea who it is. To quote the message, it said:

"hii :P I got ur numbr off a friend, I bet you won't guess who I am! LOL I'm so shy.. u can find me online, my page is ---*"

I tried to text them back but there was no return number. Weird.

*For obvious privacy reasons, I not giving out the web page.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Serp, I'd say you entirely within your rights to feel how ever you want to feel - unfortunately other than send them bad vibes, theres not much you can do unless one or both of them actually starts to harass you. Stay the course and continue to ignore them as best you can - unfortunately theres not much else you can do.

BM, I don't pretend to understand women... but I try. And I personally would have to say that a girl calling you sir, to me, doesn't seem to bely any romantic feelings - rather, it could be the other way around, since such a formal term might be a sign of distance. It really depends on how she said it and in what context. As for the text message... do you have any friends around with your phone number? And did you check out the web page? Do you recognise it? Do you think you could be interested in someone with such poor text speech? Also, not to bring you down, but since there was no return message, are you absolutely certain it's not phone spam that will download a virus to your computer?
    and Look both ways

5. - Top - End - #215
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Also, not to bring you down, but since there was no return message, are you absolutely certain it's not phone spam that will download a virus to your computer?
    This.

If the URL isn't a facebook or a similar reputable page then it's a scam.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    Question: If a girl calls you "sir" what does that mean? Oh and the context is we're both college freshman taking the same art class. It's probably nothing, but I thought it was an odd choice of words to use.

In other news, I got an odd text the other day. Someone (not sure about gender, assuming girl based on message) text me out of the blue. No idea who it is. To quote the message, it said:

"hii :P I got ur numbr off a friend, I bet you won't guess who I am! LOL I'm so shy.. u can find me online, my page is ---*"

The girl is Marcie from Peanuts

The text is probably spam for some sex talk site. I get e-mails all the time with text like:

"i saw ur profile on facebook and ur so hot. let's get 2gether at www.somewebsite.com"

Of course, I don't have a facebook site

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

I get the same sort of emails, generally telling me that country girls like several things that make me go
    Last edited by Felixaar; 2009-02-19 at 08:35 PM.
    and Look both ways

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither is Felix. I trip over a lot.

Personally Klose, I think you should try to forget about girls for a while and just enjoy being single - you're not in a good place for any love affairs right now and it all seems so sordid. I'd rest back and wait till something better comes along... believe me, being single is pretty fun
    Ah, but the second that I stop trying my life loses this delightful sitcommish element. I'm literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. Wait, no, it's still metaphorical.

SOMEUPDATES:

Had entire conversations with girl who sits next to me in maths. We would appear to be getting on really well, but there's still a bit of skull****ery about her.

Girl who freaked me out hung out with me and my friends today, and it was surprisingly non-awkward. Good times. She still scares the **** out of me, but don't tell her that, especially seeing as how eager she was to hug me.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, right. I know that feeling Well, do it the way you want to I suppose.
    and Look both ways

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

@Serp: A wise man once said: Never attribute to malice, what can be sufficiently explained by stupidity.

I'm pretty certain they are not doing this to purposely antagonize you. They may or may not even know how much pain they are causing you.

But if they do, they either just don't care, or they have more important things to worry about than further ticking off former friend whom they have already offended. (Like having a job/career in the company of their dreams).

In any case, the best retort to this, is usually to show that you don't care that much and have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post

As PlayerZero mentioned, look at whether the site is reputable. And don't trust it simply because "myspace" of "facebook" is somewhere in the title. Lots of scammers can easily add a popular site's name into the address. E.g. myspace.spammers.com is NOT the same as www.myspace.com.

If you still need help deciphering it, you can post the main url without the specific page. E.g. "http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30" would have the main url of "http://www.giantitp.com/". This lets us judge (part of) the address without breaching privacy
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2009-02-20 at 08:04 AM.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    @Serp: A wise man once said: Never attribute to malice, what can be sufficiently explained by stupidity.
    Heheh, I live by that quote. Trouble is, sometimes things can't be sufficiently explained by stupidity... And somehow I doubt that working IT in a university library is the job/career of the dreams of a guy with a Bachelor of Communications and doing a Diploma of Education, or a girl with a Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics. But yeah, I know. It's just, you know, they insisted that they gave a flying expletive about me, and this is just yet another action that indicates quite the opposite.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Serp - perhaps they have no consideration for your feelings.

If they arn't your friends anymore, then its understandable that they show you no consideration. If you're not someones friend its a bit silly to waste time worrying about their feelings

If they did it to get at you, its a bit pathetic

Either way - making a big deal out of it, no matter how much it currently pains you, is counter productive. It either draws attention to something which isn't an issue, OR, plays into their hands... neither of which is desirable. Obviously you've still not gotten over the issue, and thats fair enough, but allowing yourself to get drawn into it won't help you in the long term

tough it out, act professional, and leave it at that - you'll feel MUCH better about yourself in the long term for it
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a problem in a nascent relationship: I'm sort of with someone really smart, and really fun, and we enjoy spending time together a great deal... but on the other hand, I'm a long way from head-over-heels for reasons I can't identify. And I've just realised that I have no exit strategy. Particularly as I've just been moved into the same office as her at our Uni.

It would be unimaginably awkward to end this, no matter how I do it. I see no way to broach a conversation about how I really feel about her - it goes well beyond what we've talked about in terms of avoiding awkwardness with the new office arrangements. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to be just a friend-with-benefits (as a friend, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want that for her anyway); and the longer this goes on, the worse it'll be if/when it does come crashing down.

OK, some details. We're both PhD students, she's Canadian, I'm British, I'm 28 and she's 36, we've known each other four months and been going out for one. I've never really been beyond this stage in a relationship before; the last time I started one (when I was 24) I ended it soon after since I was going to work in Uganda for two years (which turned into three). The previous one (also when I was 24) was ended soon after it started by the other party partly because she was going back to the States from London... and prior to that, there just wasn't very much happening in this way at all.

Right now, I see only two options that are remotely decent. Should I wait, and give us a chance, and just see how things go? Or should we talk right away, and work out how we feel about this? Your thoughts on my choices would be greatly appreciated.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Paddy - sometimes it takes a while for things to kick in... but as long as you keep it casual for the time being, and if the subject is broached, be honest about your feelings, at least to a point. As long as you tell her you don't want to rush further into the relationship, and just want to take things easy, then that will stop any awkwardness of being lead on... but i think giving it a fair chance is ok if you're honest with her about your feelings

if you don't mind my asking, what is it about her, or your situation that makes it unexciting?

RE: office awkwardness after ending things. As long as you act like a professional in the office, you'll be fine. Show her some consideration, by all means, but if you need to discuss something work related with her, then get on with it. If you act timid around her wondering how things will be then she may start asking herself "hes acting like there is a problem - is there a problem?". Sure you may not be best office buddies, but you can still certainly be great colleagues - as long as you end things in a respectful manner.

If however it does become an issue and affects your work, then ask the dean to relocate you if possible

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    I have a problem in a nascent relationship: I'm sort of with someone really smart, and really fun, and we enjoy spending time together a great deal... but on the other hand, I'm a long way from head-over-heels for reasons I can't identify. And I've just realised that I have no exit strategy. Particularly as I've just been moved into the same office as her at our Uni.

It would be unimaginably awkward to end this, no matter how I do it. I see no way to broach a conversation about how I really feel about her - it goes well beyond what we've talked about in terms of avoiding awkwardness with the new office arrangements. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to be just a friend-with-benefits (as a friend, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want that for her anyway); and the longer this goes on, the worse it'll be if/when it does come crashing down.

OK, some details. We're both PhD students, she's Canadian, I'm British, I'm 28 and she's 36, we've known each other four months and been going out for one. I've never really been beyond this stage in a relationship before; the last time I started one (when I was 24) I ended it soon after since I was going to work in Uganda for two years (which turned into three). The previous one (also when I was 24) was ended soon after it started by the other party partly because she was going back to the States from London... and prior to that, there just wasn't very much happening in this way at all.

Right now, I see only two options that are remotely decent. Should I wait, and give us a chance, and just see how things go? Or should we talk right away, and work out how we feel about this? Your thoughts on my choices would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd play it by ear for a little. Right now, you seem to not know whether or not you think she is right for a long term relationship. Waiting a little bit to make this decision is alright.

However, she is 36, which means her biological clock is ticking. You do owe it to her to make a decision fairly soon. Take a month or so to reflect whether or not she is right for you and then make a decision.

16. - Top - End - #226

NecromancerGuy

Should I be worried at the vehemence with which my friends are suggesting I burn one of my ex's shirts that I just found where it had gotten lost in between my bed and the wall?

Considering that we're not openly trying to kill one another or anything.

v: Oh no, we're still talking. But I can't give it back since I don't wanna mess with her parents while she's in china, studying abroad.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-02-21 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Should I be worried at the vehemence with which my friends are suggesting I burn one of my ex's shirts that I just found where it had gotten lost in between my bed and the wall?

Considering that we're not openly trying to kill one another or anything.
    Yes.

That sort of thing isn't healthy.

Burn wood, nothing else.

I mean, you probably don't want a reminder of her around... Have you considered giving it back to her? If you aren't speaking/don't have a mutual friend/can't bear to have a reminder of her around... I suggest giving it to goodwill. That way, it can suit someone else. Awfully wasteful to burn it. Not as bad as burning books, but pretty close, in my opinion.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    if you don't mind my asking, what is it about her, or your situation that makes it unexciting?
    Wish I knew. It's not altogether a bad thing - I have a small obsessive streak that comes out when I really am head-over-heels about someone. Thank you for your advice - you make a lot of sense.

@Snoopy,

Yeah, I had considered the biological clock thing, and the related matter that if she wants to have kids she's right up against the deadline now. It's a conversation that maybe we'll have should things get more serious, and that I'm obviously not looking forward to.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

re: the whole biological clock thing...

not every woman WANTS children, and its pretty presumptuous to make any assumptions. So until she brings that up - or makes her views on the matter clear - it should not enter into your consideration

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Paddy, it's only been a month. Some relationships that work really well don't have the head over heels thing, some start off slower and you realize "Hey, I really really like this person". Maybe if you normally have the head over heels obsessive streaks, perhaps this is a healthier start than before.

As for the biological clock, I'm betting that if she's a PhD student, 36, and not pressuring a serious relationship by now that it's muted or non-existent. As Pancake said, not all women have or listen to their's. I wholeheartedly second that.

Coid, yeah...I'd be worried if friends were doing that, especially if there is a lack of malice between you and the ex. Just give the shirt back or give it to Goodwill or something if there is no way to contact her.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, Syk, this has been nagging at me for a while now - assuming "Oz" is a pseudonym, did you call him after Oz from BtvS on purpose?

...Yeah. That's my big, serious relationship question.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, no. I don't watch Buffy, actually.

I have another friend (who I've known longer) with the same name as him, so before we began dating my sister dubbed him the Other Z, or OZ for short (it just got confusing otherwise). The nickname just kinda...stuck. I actually call him that more in real life than his true name.

His old college friends who knew him by a different nickname or his real name actually like Oz a heck of a lot better, and it's approved by him, so it works.
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    Actually, no. I don't watch Buffy, actually.
    I see. I only asked because Oz is one of my favorite characters from Buffy. (I don't like Buffy herself all that much....)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

v: Oh no, we're still talking. But I can't give it back since I don't wanna mess with her parents while she's in china, studying abroad.
    Well... You could mail it?

If that's too expensive... Ask her what she wants you to do with it?

And, no offense at all, but judging from what you've said about your friends in this thread in the past... your friends are weird.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Coid, don't go giving the shirt to goodwill - I almost lost a jacket to goodwill once and it was the most horrifying day of my life (it was a good jacket). Save it for her until an appropriate time to give it back.

Pad, I'd say don't worry about it just yet. Don't say things you don't mean or make actions that suggest things you don't mean, but there's no need to cast doubt. Things may work out, or the may not - so long as she doesn't think she's been guaranteed anyting she hasn't, then it's all okay.
    and Look both ways

26. - Top - End - #236
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Recent events have made it clear to me that I'm more bothered by this whole affair than I've been letting myself believe. Which I find somewhat bothersome, for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that, prior to now, I've been quite successful at being happy in spite of whatever external stimuli present themselves. Or, at least, I've been able to control the external stimuli to the point where I can make myself happy. I dunno. Point is it worked. Recently I've been having trouble just taking an interest in my surroundings.

I mean, this is completely stupid, and I know it's completely stupid. Not only is this stupid, but it's completely contrary to how I normally react to things. I'm used to either just making jokes or behaving in an ultra-rational manner in times of stress. I should be way past the point where I feel the need to whine incessantly about anything. The only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that part of me wants to feel like this.

It wouldn't be so bad, maybe, if I was able to open up to people more easily. I was talking with a buddy the other night, one of my oldest friends, and the only reason I was even able to tell him about this is that he related a similar problem to me. And even then I couldn't say anything beyond relating the facts without any emotional input. I mean, heck, the only reason I even started posting here was because I forgot that Felix posts here, and the first time he responded to something I wrote I freaked the heck out. I've since gotten used to the idea, but having someone I know find out things about me is something I have extreme difficulty with.

I mean, I do have one or two confidants, but I try not to bring up this subject a lot, just because it's all I really want to talk about, and I don't want to irritate them by just talking about one thing.

Part of me wants to just forget about this, let it fade. I mean, I could; it wasn't just a passing thought when I speculated that part of me wants to feel like this. I think part of it is that it's been so long since I've seen her that this is the only thing I currently can feel, and it's better than nothing. Some days it's hard to remember. So I could just forget. It would be much less troublesome. Then again, maybe a little mental distress is good for me. It's been so long since mental distress really challenged me that I might have been getting complacent. Anyways, I don't start things to quit them. So forgetting isn't even an option. It never was.

Well, I needed that. Thanks for bearing through.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Joe, I hope you know and feel that you can trust me with such things - after all, I'm as much an impartial and zipper-mouthed observor as anyone.

Have you any way of contacting the girl? Because I think it's really time to go double or nothing and roll the dice on this one, so that you can move on form there.
    and Look both ways

28. - Top - End - #238
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Joe, I hope you know and feel that you can trust me with such things - after all, I'm as much an impartial and zipper-mouthed observor as anyone.

Have you any way of contacting the girl? Because I think it's really time to go double or nothing and roll the dice on this one, so that you can move on form there.
    No, it isn't that I think you'll tell anyone, and I don't think I'd even care very much if you did. It's not you; as I said, I have this problem with my oldest and most trusted friends. The only person I really feel comfortable telling things to is this one girl I know, and that's largely because a lot of our relationship early on consisted of her telling me deep personal secrets about herself while she was going through a bad breakup and needed a neutral party to talk to (at least, from my point of view they were deep and personal), so there's probably a certain level of familiarity there, or something. I just have trouble opening up to people, for whatever reason.

Double-or-nothing is pretty much my plan, I just need time to implement it as she is currently across the country. So I'm just twiddling my thumbs until then. I think she'll be back in about a week, though, so I'll act then.

Edit: To be clear, I'm more concerned that my emotional state is what it is at the moment. Not having a plan would be very un-me.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2009-02-22 at 05:52 AM.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

How do you get someone to understand they have you on a too short of a leash, so to speak, and it's alienating you, and causing a lot of psychological and emotional harm?

Shame on us
    For all we've done
    And all we ever were
    Just zeros and ones

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zarrexaij View Post
    How do you get someone to understand they have you on a too short of a leash, so to speak, and it's alienating you, and causing a lot of psychological and emotional harm?
    Telling them is a good start.

Ya' know, conversing. Speech. Communication.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-02-22 at 03:19 PM.