New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Erfworld 140 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 127

I didn't read the initial disclaimer prior to reading and when I saw wanda I thought she was wearing an outfit from V the TV miniseries. Then the final panel brought me back to reality. I love the uncroaked missing limbs or decomposed limbs. Hilarious!

Is it me or does Bogroll look more like Parson. The menacing hamster helmets were a great touch.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    I don't see any reference to OOTS in the hats. That's pretty standard stuff (usually that would have been a wolf or a bear).
    Might be referring to the times Belkar wore the heads of his enemies as hats. A bit of a stretch, though.
    Last edited by El_Chupachichis; 2009-01-30 at 10:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBrowncoat View Post
    That needs to be put on YouTube...
    I agree. Unfortunately the prof involved is big on not violating intellectual property laws, so he wouldn't even give us students a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    Seriously, dude. Pics or it didn't happen.
    Believe what you will, it did happen. How about this. Look at some of Michael Peters (MJ's choreographer on Thriller and Beat It) other works and look for similar dance moves. For that matter, many music videos of the time had synchronized group choreography, and many of the same (or similar) moves were used.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    If we are giving them their respective mounts and toys I would have to say Stanley hand down. Ansom would probably get one shotted by a lighting attack. Assuming he didn't get killed by the dwagon.

If we stuck them on the ground and handed them swords... I have no idea. We have only seen Stanley in action once and that was him Van de graffing...
    That's my point: someone said "I'm guessing about their relative strength" and since we've yet to see them without their toys then we need to take that into account.
    Quo vadis?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought the game most closely resembled Age of Wonders(2 being the only one that I played). Especially since some files in that game had .erf extensions(if memory serves).
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

An interesting thought occured to me. Someone mentioned Wanda's zombies all being dress in Parson's livery and that they might be "his troop" (Parson's) and not Stanley's. If this is true (not saying it is) could it be that Parson has taken over as Overlord for GK and not realized it? (He is a Special Warlord after all). Stanley abondon GK to try and start again in Faq. Could that be considered a resignation? If Parson did take over I really don't think many people would be upset about in GK though . Also I can't see Parson working to long for Stanley before it drives him up the wall. Stanley is not a good leader of a nation.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

I just want to know why some people seem to use "fan service" as if it's a pejorative.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by scotchmonger View Post

I hope we get to see through Parson's glasses again soon and that we'll find out what "Chief Warlord Lv 2 - Special" means.

I can't wait to see this play out.

What makes you think he's still level 2? Since the stupid meal came out, he's been in the hex when his forces killed half and army, including about 4 high-ranking enemy warlords. If that doesn't level a chief warlord, what does?
    Tardy Elves FTW!
    I was thinking of a policy of "Uncroak now, disinter later". - Me

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    An interesting thought occured to me. Someone mentioned Wanda's zombies all being dress in Parson's livery and that they might be "his troop" (Parson's) and not Stanley's. If this is true (not saying it is) could it be that Parson has taken over as Overlord for GK and not realized it? (He is a Special Warlord after all). Stanley abondon GK to try and start again in Faq. Could that be considered a resignation? If Parson did take over I really don't think many people would be upset about in GK though . Also I can't see Parson working to long for Stanley before it drives him up the wall. Stanley is not a good leader of a nation.
    I think it's just a military convention in Erfworld. Looking at Comic 107, we can see that Webinar is wearing Ansom's crest on his armor. Ansom isn't the leader of Jetstone, but he is Jetstone's Chief Warlord. Also, look at Comic 27, you can see that each of Stanley's Chief Warlords had their own crest. It folows from here that all units that are created or turned (or uncroaked) during the service of a specific Chief Warlord bear his/her crest. Kings and overlords don't really seem to carry a crest at all.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whenever I think of a Michael Jackson song, I immediately think about "Weird Al" Yankovich instead. Weird.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ptorquemada View Post
    Maybe it's supposed to signify that Parson has become a sexy shoeless god of war (and while I don't really like Belkar, he has been having a string of crowning moments of awesome lately).
    No, if we're mapping Erfworld characters to OOTS, then I'd say that Jillian is the best match for Belkar. For evidence, just look at the print ad:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also: barbarians!

Quote Originally Posted by Ptorquemada View Post
    This strip, though, is awesome on so many levels it's like an awesome layer cake.

And whoever suggested Sizemore and the Golems doing Queen... yes. Just yes. I want to see that. wham wham clap ... wham wham clap ...
    I heartily agree with these sentiments.
    Last edited by zillion ninjas; 2009-01-30 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spoilered slightly biggish image
    "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is
    whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."

............- Niels Bohr, co-founder of quantum theory

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tostig View Post
    Well, apart from the headbanging, windmilling and general kvlt-ness, it'd be awesome to see a bunch of metal golems forming a circle pit in the middle of the RCC's line. Or a bunch of then dressed as cowboys from hell, or their slaughter being preceded by a high pitched scream and "Angel of Death!", or Sizemore, the master of golem puppets?
    Rob Halford's high-pitched screech a la "Ram It Down" would make the sonic attack from hell, and the song itself would fit Erfworld's battlefield fairly well (okay, except the absence of cars...). Maybe "Painkiller" instead? The robot on that cover would make one hell of a golem, not to mention fitting the whole "evil looking guy who isn't really so evil" motif of Stanley's side.

13. - Top - End - #193

PaladinGuy

Nice boobies.

Seeing Parson there fully attired makes me realize how odd it is that there are no Erfworld inspired T-shirts, Hamster Hats, Wrist Calculators, or "3-D Sunglasses" available in the giantitp.com store.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    What makes you think he's still level 2? Since the stupid meal came out, he's been in the hex when his forces killed half and army, including about 4 high-ranking enemy warlords. If that doesn't level a chief warlord, what does?
    This however assumes that experience is shared by everyone in the hex as opposed to those who actually croak units or only being shared by those that take part in the actual combat

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    I always thought the game most closely resembled Age of Wonders(2 being the only one that I played). Especially since some files in that game had .erf extensions(if memory serves).
    I agree. I've only played the first one, but the only differences I see are the lack of dance-fighting, and how siege works. (and possibly leadership/stack bonuses, idk.) I've only played the first one, though.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cruxador View Post
    I agree. I've only played the first one, but the only differences I see are the lack of dance-fighting, and how siege works. (and possibly leadership/stack bonuses, idk.) I've only played the first one, though.
    ...and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game that doesn't have a lack of dance-fighting.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    This however assumes that experience is shared by everyone in the hex as opposed to those who actually croak units or only being shared by those that take part in the actual combat
    No, it only assumes that a commander gains experience when units under his command croak enemies. Surely a high-level warlord can level up by exercising leadership skills (as demonstrated by the combat success of those he commands), and not just by direct participation?

Note that Parson's Chief Warlord leadership bonus (+2 to start, at least) applies to all units of GK. It's reasonable to think that some experience gain flows in the opposite direction.

However, this all does assume that Parson (from another world and without visible stats) is capable of leveling up at all.
    "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is
    whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."

............- Niels Bohr, co-founder of quantum theory

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Ragn Charran View Post
    ...and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game that doesn't have a lack of dance-fighting.
    That would be Tekken 3.

Although not quite the same kind of dance-fight. :P Still, Eddy (or more to the point, Tiger) had some groovy moves.
    Ingenious Solutions Inc.

Browncoats Unite! Help Nathan Fillion buy Firefly!
    Check out helpnathanbuyfirefly.com now!

To a gourmet chef, the only difference between "incredible" and "inedible" is the CR.

High Priest and Founder of the First Church of Rich.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by surtt View Post
    ???
    If she simply did not constantly have "Crowning Moments Of Awesomeness"
    GK would have been toast long time ago (without even summing Lord Hamster)
    Which does nothing to contradict her being the BBEG. I don't think she is, but, hypothetically, if Wanda is the BBEG then she wants Gobwin Knob to win this one, and she wants to end the fight with as many of her private toys still intact as possible and as few as possible of everyone else's toys intact.

That way her final Coup takes over a city with some power, and faces nothing much in the way of resistance. Her actions are entirely consistent with this interpretation.

We have no idea what units she might have been able to suggest the Tool empty his treasury to get, but what she suggested is one that she can probably handle herself at need (a perfect warlord rather than an unstopable fighter, unkillable defender, or a perfect caster).

She's perfectly willing to burn GK's air defenses to try to hit an enemy stack, "let's you and him fight". She wants the Tool to spend all his Smackers on a perfect warlord, "let's you and him fight". She's not happy to commit her own forces, the uncroaked or her hidden spells, which is perfectly consistent if she doesn't want to waste stuff she personally controls.

You're assuming that if she's the BBEG she wouldn't fight hard for GW, why? If she can take any faction over and from that foundation RULE THE WORLD (Bwah ha ha ha!!!) then she NEEDS GW to win as the next step of the plan, I don't think the RCC will ever give her power and influence comparable to what the Tool does. Thus crowning moments of awesum in defense of GW show she's seriously loyal ONLY if they involve her sacrificing something she cares about, which none of them have.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemarc View Post
    Regarding the art shift, I'm pretty sure it's just that. Look at Ansom, panel 2 and panel 8. Ansom's never been in close contact with Parson, and his personality hasn't really changed since the beginning of the comic, but look at that difference.
    [sarcasm]You're all wrong. Obviously, it's a Pleasantville reference.[/sarcasm] XDDD

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Happy ending?

I think she's the BBEG.

Let's look. Stanley said gobwins seized the city while he was out. Ansom says Stanley led the coup...

What if Wanda incited them?
    Not quite. Sizemore said gobwins turned and put Saline IV to the sword. While Stanley and all of the casters were off on some kind of special mission. Sure, Wanda could have set this up. But so could have Stanley, or Sizemore, or Jack, or any other FAQ caster.

I don't buy Stanley. I don't buy Wanda, either. I won't be terribly disappointed if it turns out to be Wanda, but I'd be very disappointed if it turned out to be Stanley, due to the whole "Duty applies the most to the chief warlord" rule as it has been explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Talic
    Ansom seems to think Stanley's not the brightest, and evidence at hand supports that. Wanda has shown that she manipulates him already. She had an ally in the enemy camp (captured rather than killed? Get out of jail free card?).
    These things are not members of the same set. Yes, Ansom thinks Stanley is a strategic idiot. And yes, Wanda has manipulated him. But the only manipulation of Stanley we've seen from her was so that the new chief warlord, Parson, could implement his battle plan rather than being sent into battle. Tossing Stanley a lay to keep him from throwing away 350k schmuckers on a strategically stupid decision is not manipulation to the detriment of Stanley. It's manipulation for his survival.

And about the "ally in the enemy camp"? You must mean the one Stanley informed Wanda about so that she could practice her hobby of interrogation and torture, right? The one Stanley knew all about? The one Stanley let her release? How is using magic and torture to gain a mole in the enemy camp any kind of betrayal?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    You're assuming that if she's the BBEG she wouldn't fight hard for GW, why? If she can take any faction over and from that foundation RULE THE WORLD (Bwah ha ha ha!!!) then she NEEDS GW to win as the next step of the plan, I don't think the RCC will ever give her power and influence comparable to what the Tool does.
    Um, what kind of a foundation to rule the world is the side that everyone else wants to wipe off the face of the map? What kind of foundation to rule the world is the side which had 11 cities and now has only 1? A treacherous person would have turned long ago to either some other side or gone mercenary. You don't try to rule the world by tying your loyalties to a pack of losers.

Awesome strip, and I can't wait to see the action in the coming few strips. Going off of past see-saws in fortune, things will be changing fast with the arrival of some of the missing detached units (Jillian and/or Tool), or some other unforeseen but impacting events. I'm going to be very interested in following how the action depicts the turn-based strategy rules of Erfworld.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTurnipKing View Post
    Heh, you don't have to have any belief in Micheal Jackson to appreciate his work. Whatever else is said about the guy in decades to come... the dude could dance... and sing... and write songs.
    And then it goes and gets ruined by all ... that ... other ... stuff.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Top part of the comic... still has me laughing. Hahaha... so the bonus Parson has is leadership, luck, dance and maybe artifact.
    I gotta say... I don't want to see Parson hizzownself dance-fight. Opinion - it would be awesomely full of Fail - "Star Wars Kid" epic fail.

Aside from that...Wanda... ohhhhhhBOY.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Great.

I've had Thriller stuck in my head since I read this comic... now I listened to it for 20 minutes straight.

Now it's "Everybody dance now"

Oh well... may I have this dance?
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Animation Goddesses

Though I have not sought such a thing, it has taken over 20 years to find a female character worthy to replace my first true animation crush, that is, having been 14 years old at the time, I thought, man, I'd really like to see her, meet her, **** (boink?) her, if she were *real* etc., yadda yadda.

-------------------
    I mean how many of us 40+ guys, recall those two chicks from the movie "Heavy Metal"? Of course, before them, there were Veronica and (the original) "Betty" of Archie comics fame.

I now feel that another femme fatale must be granted membership to the pantheon of Animation Goddesses.
    -------------------
    With reverence and respect, I set aside Commander Lisa Hayes of the RDF, and ready the alter for Wanda Firebaugh.

(Ba-rowglglglgl ... or however you spell that noise Tigger makes when a hottie walks by)

---------------
    For those who are coughing and sputtering, Lisa Hayes?!? What about Minmei?!?!!?

Eh. I couldn't handle anyone so ditsy.

25. - Top - End - #205

Default Re: Animation Goddesses

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherErekose View Post
    For those who are coughing and sputtering, Lisa Hayes?!? What about Minmei?!?!!?
    Fine, she's all yours. I... I shall stay true to Yuki Mori of the Uchuu Senkan Yamato.

Now... next up in the dance sequence? Robert Palmer, "Simply Irresistible"

She's so fine
    There's no tellin' where the money went!

:D
    Last edited by Wadoka; 2009-01-30 at 07:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh. I couldn't handle anyone so ditsy.
    Who said anything about Minmei? Hello, did you not look at Miriya? And later, though she was never animated to my knowledge, Kazianna from the Sentinels novels always looked even better in my mind's eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Considering she was able to arise passion in Breetai, she had to be something!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

Who said anything about Minmei? Hello, did you not look at Miriya? And later, though she was never animated to my knowledge, Kazianna from the Sentinels novels always looked even better in my mind's eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Considering she was able to arise passion in Breetai, she had to be something!
    All the Chinese, Filipino and Korean guys at my high school were gaga over Minmei. She was all fluff and no substance.

Miriya? She was a dynamite front runner, until Max effectively emasculated her, if you catch my drift.

That's what makes Wanda so narly: She's Micheavellian (sp?) through and through: The thing that Parson observed before he asked about her childhood.

Ruthless, determined, "I'm not gonna take-any-guff", go-to characters and real people are what give me a kick-in-the-pants. It is the same thing when Jillian focuses on her task that makes her shine too.

Ah, Lisa. Hmm. Considering what I just said doesn't make sense. She was wishy-washy over Rick for years. Huh, maybe it was just cause I was in the 8th grade at the time.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still holding out for Ozzy's "Pigs of War"... failing that, "Iron Man"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

until Max effectively emasculated her, if you catch my drift.
    But...just...it doesn't work...gah!!!!!

You may mean that in a valid way, but to me, that sentences is all kinds of wrong(so no, I don't catch your drift).
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rob Halford's high-pitched screech a la "Ram It Down" would make the sonic attack from hell, and the song itself would fit Erfworld's battlefield fairly well (okay, except the absence of cars...). Maybe "Painkiller" instead? The robot on that cover would make one hell of a golem, not to mention fitting the whole "evil looking guy who isn't really so evil" motif of Stanley's side.
    If the metal golems had dance fight, then the rest of the 'rock' ones would too. And I don't think swayying and nodding (Soft) or flailing around and licking the floor (acid) would count as real dancing.

And windmilling is not metal dancing, try that at a show and enjoy the kick in the head.
    "How do I know that you know that my mouth is my own?"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.