New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dwarfs

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Dwarfs

Welcome dear readers of Erfworld, if this subject has already been discussed I'm sorry and missed the thread, Erfworld as we all know is dedicated to exploring a TBS world, but it is a fantasy TBS nonetheless so my question is why haven't we seen dwarves yet?
    I will begin by re-stating some facts you already know:
    1)This war has been called by Charlie the Great Western Conflict so this makes me believe we will be pretty much in the domain of Western Fantasy ergo Elves & Dwarves
    2)The two sides have been generalised by parson as generic "bad guys" and "good guys" thus GK: "bad guys" gobwins uncroaked croakmancer led by would be world conqueror RCC : "good guys" mainly humans plus friendly vampyres plus cute creatures plus several kinds of elves warrior types led by a would be paladin.
    The comics creators are great at deconstructing things keep the big image intact but when you zoom in you see something completely diffent in a funny way of course.
    Now what I was expecting on a rereading was some type of dwarves there fighting with the elves but ultimateley being "good".
    It might be that the shorth miner/cave fighter niche has already been filled by the marbits and I'l give you they're cute but seeing how the creators briliantly deconstructed the whole x elven subraces staple of fantasy I would have preffered they take a swing at the drunk greedy scottsman with the hearth of gold stereotype the dwarves have been shohorned in, insread of food jokes.
    Now might I ask you faithfull readers if maybe they exist and we haven't seen them yet or how would they be in Erfworld.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Dwarfs

Meh, they've already got Marbits, and they couldn't do with Dwarves what they did with Elves. You see, the joke with the different elf varieties was that often you just have [Adjective] Elf, and nobody can decide whether elves are down-to-earth forest proectors, or snooty supermages, or whatever.

However, Dwarves are essentially the same between fantasy settings, besides, Marbits are cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the fact that the RCC has 10? types of elves is part of the reason for why we don't see dwarves. Tolkien lore has elves and dwarves at each other's throats for the most part, for instance, and I'm sure there is other fantasy that does the same. Hell, there's western fantasy that explicitly doesn't include elves, so Erfworld(or perhaps just the RCC) missing dwarves isn't really too much of an infraction.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    I think the fact that the RCC has 10? types of elves is part of the reason for why we don't see dwarves. Tolkien lore has elves and dwarves at each other's throats for the most part, for instance, and I'm sure there is other fantasy that does the same. Hell, there's western fantasy that explicitly doesn't include elves, so Erfworld(or perhaps just the RCC) missing dwarves isn't really too much of an infraction.
    Besides, as noted above the Marbits occupy the obvious dwarf niche (short miner types).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Could it be that Erf's dwarves are not the type to join coalitions?
    Quo vadis?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Or they just aren't natural allies to any of the sides involved, like the Elves are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Isn't it obvious? No race or creature can exist in Erfworld with a "w" in its name!
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

No prob, they'd be called "drawfs".
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

9. - Top - End - #9

Or "Dorfs" (maybe Dowfs?).

10. - Top - End - #10

They were probably dropped due to naming scheme problems.

There is no way to cutesify Dwarves.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Limos View Post
    There is no way to cutesify Dwarves.
    I think "dlorfs" would be a cute name.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Dorfs" is pure win.
    Quo vadis?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

How about 'Dwaves' or 'Dwafs'. taking out the r does make it sound more cutesy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Stunties