Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 204

Thread: The Spine [IC]

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default The Spine [IC]

    It is a fine summer day in the Spine Fort. Today the first batch of recruits will be entering into active duty in the Fort militia. They have received only minimal training but it should be enough to give them an edge dealing with unallied tribes that have been raiding the surrounding villages.

    Your commander, Drill Sergeant Dalto, a large Orc with a singularly hideous buzzcut and a voice best described as thunderous, strides across the courtyard to your squad.

    "Alright Maggots!" He screams as obnoxiously as possible, "You've got your first assignment. The White fang Goblin clan has been raiding our outlying farms, and we need you to bust some heads."

    He moves further down the line, looking at each member of the squad. "We're not sure were the little blighters are holed up, so you lot have to track them down." He points at the front gate and shouts directly into your faces, "Now get moving maggots!"

    With that he strides back to his bunkhouse for a day of drinking and lazing about while others do his work for him. Which is his normal routine on a fine summer day.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-29 at 09:35 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Connor Darkdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    As soon as the orc is out of sight Peldoe uses Change Shape and turns into a clone of the orc.

    "Maggots Maggots, maggoty maggots! Maggot maggot!" he says.

    "I get so tired of his constant shouting." Peldoe sighs.

    He looks at the other "maggots".
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

    The Con Bar by Dorion Soth

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    *sigh*

    "I'm ready to move out, how far is this town?"

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    A small stone paperweight strikes Peldoe in the back of the head. Dalto pokes his head out of the upper window of the barracks and shouts down to them, "I heard that Maggot!" He takes a swig of grog from his handy flask and pops back out of sight.

    Back to the task at hand, you know from your residence at the fort that the Farms Dalto refers to are on the slopes below the Fort, so in effect you are already at the town. The White Fang clan must be hiding somewhere in the surrounding wilderness. You'll have to ask around and try to track them down.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Kix's sybilant voice chortles with laughter as the stone strikes the wizard in the head.

    "Let us Maggots go and ask the farmers where the goblins attacked from hmm?"

    The kobold continues to giggle as he turns and walks towards the outlying farms . "Hee hee hee.. Maggots"

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Upon exiting the fort you are faced with the panoramic view of the various cottages, keeps, and farmsteads of the Spine village. From this vantage you can see several burned husks on the easteren edge of the valley. Those are most likely the farms that were attacked by the Goblin tribe.

    Down the path from the fort you find yourself on the village green. There is a small knot of very agitated farmers standing on the green and arguing heatedly with one another. Several appear singed and one is waving a crude spear.

    "I tells ya! Theys's come from out of da forest!" A smallish Gnoll with large area of his facial fur singed off yells.

    "En I says theys's holed up in da mines! Ye stupid git!" The aged Orc waving the crude goblin spear retorts.

    "Ye're both idiots! There aren't even any mines anywhere near here!" Interjects a crispy hobgoblin.

    From there the arguments quickly devolves into namecalling and accusations that one another's mothers had congress with a list of increasingly unlikely creatures.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Hronus had kept quiet, watching bemusedly as the Doppleganger mocked the orc. "Spot-on imitation", he thought, "right down to the inflated ego that glorified slob possesses." However, he couldn't help but laugh as the rock smacked Peldoe in the head.

    Now, he watched the group of farmers slowly erode into a useless mass of squabbling. This is wasting our time. The tall minotaur took a step forward, clanged his axe and his shield and bellowed, "Quiet!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate Roll to silence the farmers:
    (1d20+8)[12]

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    You manage to intimidate the Hobgoblin and Orc, but the Gnoll remains unmoved.


    The knot of farmers falls silent immediately and turns to stare at the minotaur. The majority are shaking in fright and surprise at suddenly being faced by such a fearsome warrior.

    The Gnoll however remains unmoved and instead walks bravely toward you. "Oi! Why should we listen to you!" He glares at the group, "Ain't no buisness of yers anyway."
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-30 at 05:03 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Hronus returns the gnoll's glare. "Why? Because bickering like spoiled younglings gets us nowhere and it's getting on my nerves. And because if you don't, I'll cut you in twain."

    Hronus brandishes his axe at the gnoll. "Furthermore, it is our business. We've been tasked with taking care of the White Fang Clan, and we need to know where exactly they're hiding. Unless you'd prefer we let them come back and burn the fur off the other side of your face, I'd suggest you lot get your act together and decide on a definitive idea as to where they are."
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-01-30 at 05:23 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    The Gnoll backs off at the mention of being 'Cut in twain', but upon the words 'White Fang Clan' he gasps out, "Oi! Theys's the buggers that burned down my barn!" He suddenly looks sheepish.

    "Well, we know that they's holed up somewhere in the eastern valleys." He looks back to the other farmers for support. "There ain't much places out there to hide"

    The Orc steps forward to interject, "Well there's the old Dwarf mine." He nods sagely, "They abandoned it pretty soon after they started diggin, but the White Fangs could be hiding out there." He goes on to describe the approximate location of the mines and points out the pass they should take to reach them.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Hronus smirked. There's nothing speaking forcefully and carrying a big axe can't solve.

    After hearing all the orc had to say, he bowed his head in respect."Thank you, both of you. This is very helpful."

    Hronus turns around to face the rest of the squad. "What say you all? Shall we head off to the mine?"
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-01-30 at 06:28 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Kix quirks his mouth as if pondering the minotaurs actions.. then setting his jaw as resolutely as a 60 pound kobold can, he walks over and pokes Hronus in the shin.

    "You shouldn't threaten farmers.. You'll set a bad example for the others. We need to step above our base urges....


    Besides.. If you cut him in twain, who will feed us?"


    The 3'6" draconid nods his head, dusts off his hands as if satisfied, and starts his march towards the mine, stops, and turns back.

    "Which way is east again?"

    (Non existant Nature, Perception, Insight, and pretty much anything that might possibly used for navigation scores - also, how do you make one of those spoiler boxes?)

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls from the OOC thread, where the roller cooperated

    (d20+1)[14] Gargo
    (d20+2)[20] Peldoe
    (d20+1)[17] Hronus
    (d20+2)[6] Kix
    (d20)[13] Bermuda


    Peldoe and Hronus, through some stroke of intuition manages to help you bumble your way through the woods to the Goblin camp. You find yourself at the treeline facing the cliff face. Lounging just outside the mouth of the cave is a squad of Goblins.

    There are four goblins visible at the moment. The Goblins appear bored and aren't really paying attention to their surroundings. One appears to be asleep.

    You are 4 squares to the Right of the goblins. The cliff face is below you. There are two goblins on either side of the entance, one directly in front of it and one directly in front of him.

    Roll for Initiative.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-30 at 08:03 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Kix clears his throat, steps to the front of the party, draws his sword, and shouts loudly in a shrill somewhat squeaky voice.

    "Are you the goblins you raided the farms nearby? Surrender and explain yourselves!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[3]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Hronus groans as Kix announces the party's presence. First he tells me off for dealing with an impudent farmer, and now he ruins our chances of catching them off-guard?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Roll:
    (1d20)[8]

    (( The dice gods probably don't like Kix because he ruined our surprise round. Argh. ))
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-01-30 at 08:58 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    The Goblins snap to alertness at the unforseen interruption. Hearing the Paladin's questions they chatter something back in Goblin. Which no one in the party actually speaks.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to unforseen Goody two shoeing you lose your surprise round.

    (d20)[19] +5
    (d20)[8] +5

    Wow, the normal goblins got a great intiative roll. And Kix keeps getting terrible rolls. The Dice god does not smile on you my friend.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-30 at 08:54 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Kix stands his ground, positioning his tiny form between the goblins and the rest of the party.

    "You live surrounded by a dozen other races and you don't speak common? Well that's rather foolish don't you think? Take me to your leader!"


    Speaking openly and as forcefully as his tiny voice allows, he still keeps his sword ready in case the huge (to him) goblins decide to rush past him to the less formidable targets beyond.

    Spoiler
    Show
    lost initiative miserably or would be readying an action, but still ready to launch opportunity attacks and counter attack on his turn if they decide to attack. [roll]1d20 + 7[/roll] intimidate .. yes my paladin did not train in diplomacy, he never quite got the knack

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't put spaces in your roll or it won't work.

    Also Goblins are small sized as well. So they are just as tall as you are.

    They don't speak common because they are savages. They are already unfriendly to you, which gives them a +5 to will defense. And you take another -5 penalty since you don't speak their language. Which means a total check of DC 22. I'll roll for you now then.

    (d20+7)[27]

    Well... Holy ****. Natural 20.


    Your divine fervor shines through, bypassing their natural hostility and inability to speak common. Your very presence is so terrifying that the Goblins are momentarily stupefied by your righteous fury.

    With a scream of utter terror they abase themselves before you and tremble at your feet.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-30 at 09:34 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Bermuda smiles and draws her sickle from its sheath


    "allow me to harvest these once your finished with them"
    Last edited by Kamatari; 2009-01-30 at 10:25 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Seeing the sinister hobgoblin draw a weapon the terrified Goblins scamper back into the cave and flee down the tunnel, shrieking something in Goblin.

    New Goblin voices can faintly be heard from inside the tunnel, presumably asking why the other Goblins are freaking out. The tunnel is 10ft wide throughout. You pursue them down the tunnel (because otherwise we are never going to get anywhere) and find yourself turning a corner. Ten feet in front of you the tunnel branches off to the right, shouting can be heard down that tunnel. Fifty feet Straight ahead the tunnel opens up into a wider chamber.

    Roll for Initiative, again.

    Spoiler
    Show

    (d20+5)[15]
    (d20+5)[6]
    (d20+5)[21]
    (d20+5)[6]

    I'm assuming the party would be Kix and Gargo in first rank, then Hronus and Bermuda in second rank, and Peldoe in the last rank.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-30 at 10:26 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Initiave: (1d20+4)[8]

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Hronus pursues the goblins into the cave, with the rest of the group.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Roll:
    (1d20)[12]

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    bermuda readies a curse on the nearest enemy and an eldritch blast, provided no one is nearby to attack, in which case a slash with the sickle will do. My rod will give me +1 AC for one round once i've place my curse.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm afraid we aren't going to be able to start fighting until the other players roll intiative and we figure out who is going first. And anyway the Goblins are most likely going to get the first round anyway.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Connor Darkdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    [[OOC: Sorry about that, I forgot to subscribe to the thread]]

    Peldoe observes the events and turns to his companions.

    "Is it wise to follow them into their base? I have a feeling that they probably have traps, and if not that then a large number of warriors waiting for us. If we take a short rest I could try infiltrating the base as a goblin. My mimicking of the orc has exhausted me a bit." he says.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative

    (1d20)[1]
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

    The Con Bar by Dorion Soth

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    It seems like Otogi has dropped off the face of the forum. I've been trying to get in contact with him but he hasn't Pm'd me back yet. I think I'm going to pull in one of the alternates for now.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Kix follows the screaming goblins shaking his head in disapointment..

    "Damn cowards.. Maybe the next ones can answer me."

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[13] initiative
    Last edited by Lairiel; 2009-01-31 at 02:06 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Since it seems Otogi isn't checking in any time soon, and my alternate hasn't called back yet, we'll just assume he has become distracted and is staring at the clouds outside.

    Intiative
    -Goblins
    -Goblins
    -Durthas
    -Kix
    -Hronus
    -Bermuda
    -Goblin
    -Goblin
    -Peldoe


    The Goblins rush forward to engage you, pushing their frightened colleages ahead of them. The goblins from outside finally give up on retreating and attack. One lashes out at Kix while his fellow attacks Hronus. The rest pack in behind the first rank.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for attack vs. AC.

    Goblin v. Kix (d20+5)[25]
    Goblin v. Hronus(d20+5)[14]


    The Goblin attacking Hronus is ineffective and does not manage to land a hit. However the second Goblin's strike flies true and smashes into the Kobold's head with a lucky blow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Kix takes 4 damage from the Goblin Cutter
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-31 at 05:11 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Durthas

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay, was out and about earlier. Ill just jump in here since seems to be a good spot.

    Perception check to follow the group: (1d20+6)[16]

    Stealth check since I followed the group from the fort out here without being noticed (1d20+10)[17]

    Initiative: (1d20+6)[20]



    In Common:Friends, I have followed from the fort and want to help you resolve the issue of the goblin attacks. They goblins are simply defending themselves because they dont know why you are attacking them. I speak goblin so we can try to negate some of their planning.

    Durthas says as he heads into the cave, trying to squeeze his way toward the front.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Im taking Gargos place in the front rank


    Durthas' blades seemingly appear in his hands, not quite being noticably drawn. He takes slashes at both of the goblins in front of himself and brave little Kobold next to him, possibly named Kix if he heard correctly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dire Wolverine Strike: Attack [roll]1d20+6[/roll] Damage [roll]1d10+4[/roll]
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-01-31 at 04:57 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Limos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: The Spine [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently your roll didn't work.

    (d20+6)[14] Target 1 (AC 16)
    (d20+6)[13] Target 2 (AC 16)
    (d10+4)[9] Damage 1
    (d10+4)[5] Damage 2


    You strike out at the two Goblins within reach but they deftly parry and dodge your strikes. You fail to hit either Goblin. One of the Goblin Sharpshooters in the back ranks yells something at you in Goblin.

    "You fight like my grandmother!" The other goblins snicker at this comment.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-01-31 at 05:10 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •