New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Spine [IC]

1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Spine [IC]

The bloodied Goblin warrior desperately jabs his spear at the nearby paladin, hoping against all odds to save his own life. His comrade desperately scrambles to his feet and stumbles away from the horrible creatures that had slaughtered his clan.

Seeing the creature attempting to flee Hronus takes a quick swipe at the pitiful wretch with his battleaxe. The second Goblin finishes his jab and also attempts to flee, giving Kix a chance to slice at him as he turns.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[9] (1d8+2)[3] vs. Kix

(1d20+7)[8] (1d6+4)[5] Kix Opportunity attack
    (1d20+6)[19] (1d12+4)[14] Hronus Opportunity attack

The Goblin's thrust skims harmlessly off of Kix's armor, but the return thrust misses the mark entirely as well. Both combatants come out unharmed and the Goblin retreats. Hronus smashes the fleeing Goblin with his battleaxe, splitting the creature in twain and sending it's halves spinning out into the corridor.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-05 at 11:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Durthas

Spoiler
    Show
    My turn for whenever it is

Durthas lunges forward and attacks two of the remaining goblins.

Spoiler
    Show

Twin Strike: One of them (whichever hits is the quarry)
    Attack1: (1d20+6)[21]
    Attack2: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage1: (1d10+4)[6]
    Damage2: (1d10+4)[8]
    Quarry Dmg: (1d6)[6]

3. - Top - End - #63

Durthas lunges and buries his blade into the fleeing Goblin's spine, felling him instantly and slashes at the Goblin Sharpshooters. The creature slips under the strike and slides back out of melee range

Spoiler
    Show
    All that remains are the two Sharpshooters, the one Durthas attacked slid back a square with Goblin tactics.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix leaps into the gap left by the falling goblin, his sword flares with a pure white light as he spins and sweeps his blade around him in a vicious arc.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure on layout, and I THINK im next, I shift into a square near the golbin I had marked and use Radiant Smite on it, then mark the Other goblin
    (1d20+7)[21] Attack (2d6+6)[14] Damage , dont forget the mark damage if they attack someone who isnt me, having trouble following which one i marked in relation to which is alive =/

5. - Top - End - #65

Kix slashes the Goblin across the chest, slicing him from shoulder to hip with a wicked yet shallow wound. The Goblin's wound is painful, but not immediately life threatening.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Sharpshooter is just barely above Bloodied and the other remains unhurt. Next up is Hronus, then Bermuda, and then the Sharpshooters again.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    This post assumes that the setup is something close to the following:

[Sharpshooter]
    {blank}[Sharpshooter][Where Hronus will be]
    [Durthas][Kix]

[Bermuda]
    {blank}[Hronus]
    [Peldoe]

If I am wrong, I'll need to adjust my actions for this round accordingly.

Hronus rushes towards the Goblin as Kix delivers his strike. Positioning himself to the Goblin's side, Hronus aims a sweeping blow, hoping to give his kobold ally an opening for another attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hronus will use Hammer and Anvil. If the attack hits (its vs Ref, not AC), then Kix may make a free melee basic attack against the Goblin Sharpshooter. Here's hoping I beat the Goblin's Reflex!

Attack Roll:
    (1d20+6)[20]

Damage Roll:
    (1d12+4)[10]
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-02-06 at 09:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Hronus rushes up alongside the Goblin in front of Kix. Thankfully the second sharshooter had retreated but moments ago, putting him out of reach as he flanks the single target.

He strikes home with is battleaxe, pinning the Goblin to the stone wall with his blade. Kix takes the opportunity to thrust at the trapped Goblin with his shortsword.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[16]
    (1d6+4)[5]

Kix's blade strikes true, sinking into the Goblin's eye and onward into his tiny brain. He gives one last shudder and collapses on to the ground.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-06 at 10:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

annoyed at her poor luck Bermuda falls silent and gets down to business, wispy black tentacles pour like missiles from her rod.

Spoiler
    Show
    Curse nearest sharpshooter this round and fire eldritch blast
    (1d20+5)[9] to hit
    Damage (1d10+5)[15]
    Curse (1d6)[4]
    if he falls i will teleport just behind Kix

9. - Top - End - #69

The Goblin shies desperately aside from his impending doom. To his surprise he feels no agonizing doom. Coming out of his cowering pose he finds himself outlined against the wall by a line of scorch marks.

How one could possibly miss the creature is unknown. It seems that the Gods of Luck may not look kindly on this venture.

Muttering ferverent thanks to the Gods the Goblin flees down the corridor at full speed and stops in front of the compartment which has been eaten away by Peldoe's magical acid. He reaches into the shadowy recesses and digs through the filthy lucre. With a cry of triumph he pulls forth a sword.

"Now I kills you with da Magic sword!"

The sword is strange in design, heavily built, with a dully metallic sheath locked to the handle with a thick clasp. As it is pulled forth the Durthas (being the only one Perceptive enough to see it) notices that the colors in that side of the room suddenly deepen. The blue rags deepen to navy, red blood splashed on the walls becomes maroon.

The Goblin scrabbles desperately at the clasp hoping to use this seemingly mighty weapon against the intruders. Finally the clasp opens with a crisp pop. Almost instantly inky black shadows leak out of the resulting crack.

The Goblin's hand clenches on the hilt as the black smoke sinks into his arm, his flesh begins to turn grayish and then streak through with veins of black. The pitiful creature turns to stare pleadingly at intruders. The Goblin lifts the sword, his arm moving in jerks as if he is not in control of it.

Suddenly the sword plunges downward and impales itself through the Goblin's chest (dull rounded sheath be-damned). The Goblin's mouth opens in a silent scream as his entire body fades to a grayish husk, his eyes becoming black pits. The Goblin falls to his knees, clutching at the weapon buried in his chest.

The clasp snaps closed with a resounding clunk and the hall falls silent.

10. - Top - End - #70

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas stares in wonder as the goblin seemingly caused his own destruction by trying to use the magic blade. Durthas doesn't have detailed knowledge of magic items and their abilites, and hoped that one of the members of the group he followed from the fort does.

He walks toward the goblin and tries to decide if he should remove the sword from his chest to resheath it or not. He decides quickly that he shouldn't fear a weapon and grasps the hilt of the sword and rips it from the goblins chest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need a perception check to find stuff? Ill assume I do...
    (1d20+6)[25]

As he leans down to inspect the other goblins, he calls back to the group.
    Seems as though these goblins didn't know what weapons they had after all... Do you think they stole this or has it been in their possession?
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-07 at 12:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The little Kobold keeps his shield raised and his blade ready.. Eyeing the bared blade with caution.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[13] Religion

12. - Top - End - #72

Spoiler
    Show
    I was just going to let you take everything in the hall. It's not like the Goblins are going to stop you.

Durthas pulls the sword out of the Goblins corpse with a sickening rasp of the hilt on the dessicated flesh.

Hello. How are you? the blade asks politely in your mind.

Kix has a strange feeling that he should probably know something about this object, but he just can't bring it to mind.

The Goblin corpses yield a staggering variety of eclectic objects and weaponry which you quickly ferret out of various secret compartments and disgusting corpses (quite a ghoulish sight I assure you). In order of importance you find

- The Strange magic sword
    - a +1 Rending Khopesh
    - a +1 Masters wand of Magic Missile
    - a +1 Parrying Dagger
    - a Restful Bedroll
    - 3 Potions of Healing
    - 320 gold pieces
    - a large gem, worth 100 gold pieces

Spoiler
    Show
    I used some things from the Adventurers Vault. If you want I'll post stats in the OOC thread for you.

13. - Top - End - #73

DruidGuy

Durthas
    "Hello sword which speaks" Durthas replies to the sword, "I see that you did not allow the retched goblin to wield you yet I did not suffer the same fate as him?"

To the others Durthas says, The sword is speaking to me, allow me a few moments to try to figure out its intentions or why it is here.

14. - Top - End - #74

The Goblin was weak. But you're different. Why don't you undo the clasp? a wave of sardonic amusement washes into his mind. Undo the clasp and we'll find out if you are strong enough.

15. - Top - End - #75

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas considers the words he hears... Never one to back down from a challenge he decides to unclasp it.
    I am not so weak as a puny goblin sword.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix hisses worriedly

"Perhaps Ranger, you should put it down, until we are sure it is safe. Something gives me pause about this blade."

Spoiler
    Show
    can you retry religion rolls? If so, spending more time pondering the problem (1d20+4)[22] religion

17. - Top - End - #77

Spoiler
    Show
    You can't retry knowledge rolls. Once you fail them on a subject you fail them until you take time to read up on it. Anyway, Religion isn't exactly the best roll to analyze this thing.

I'll change your Religion roll into a Receive Divine Warning roll

A divine presence briefly touches on Kix's mind, imparting a feeling that can only be described as "Stop him you fool! He'll kill you all!" You have an overwhelming urge to strike Durthas before he does something stupid.

Yes yes squishy one! Release me!

Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, don't unclasp the cursed sword that I just went to all the trouble of gruesomely describing the effect of unclasping the sword. He didn't even manage to draw the damn thing. He barely even cracked it open.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-07 at 01:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

DruidGuy

Durthas

Hearing the implicit hatred and evil in the tone of the sword when it spoke the last words, Durthas decided to heed Kix's warning and not unsheath the sword. He hands it to Kix and asks, Do you know anything about this sword little one?

19. - Top - End - #79

The sword chuckles in Kix's mind as Durthas hands it over. I knew he didn't have the guts. He gives the mental equivalent of a gasp, Oh my, how rude of me. I haven't introduced myself.

I am Nightblood. It's a pleasure to meet you all.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hisses in fear as he gingerly takes the sword, as the voice speaks in his head he quickly decides to play it safe and removed his cloak, wrapping it around the sheathed blade to hide it from sight.

"It says it is called Nightblood.. I know nothing for certain.. but Bahamut tells me that it is very dangerouss.. and that drawing it could have dire resultss..

I am not a learned kobold.. but I am wise enough to know when something is beyond me. We best take this to wiser minds than ours."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hronus frowns. "I lived in a labyrinth full of magic items. My clan-father always said to never trust a weapon that talks." He moves slowly towards Kix and the sword, as if he didnt trust the ground he was walking on.

"I agree with Kix. There are others more knowledgeable back at the fort. They might know what to do with... Nightblood."
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-02-07 at 02:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

With the Goblin lair well and truly looted and all the Goblins slaughtered there is nothing left to do here and you all head back to the fort.

After a few minutes of travel you arrive back at the edge of town, only to be faced with a nervously shifting knot of farmers awaiting your return. As you exit the last shaded hollows of the forest the farmers surge forward to surround you.

"Well? Did you find the little blighters?" The aged orc from earlier this morning asks.

"Better yet! Did you find my turnips?" interrupts an ash coated Goblin. (Note: You did not find any turnips) Following this interruption the other farmers begin listing off stolen property they themselves would like back. Most of which are foodstuffs and none of which you found intact. You did find the Gnoll's cheesewheel, but it was quite throroughly soaked in Goblin blood and you didn't take it with you. (Understandably)

Spoiler
    Show
    Now that you are back please divy up the loot amongst yourselves however you wish and then ascend to Level 2. Please post what you do for 2nd level in the OOC thread and update your character sheets
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-07 at 02:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas decides he'd rather avoid the milling townsfolk who look eager to bombard the group with questions.
    I will see you guys inside, don't feel like being pestered, all I want now is some ale. He says as he takes a abrupt turn toward the forest and seemingly vanishes into the foliage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth check to move around the townsfolk and enter fort unnoticed. (1d20+11)[22]

24. - Top - End - #84

Durthas easily slips out of sight and makes his way to the fort unmolested by the crowd of oblivious farmers. The rest of you remain surrounded by worried farmers awaiting some kind of reassurance that their precious crops would no longer be set on fire.

Nightblood begins telepathically singing a rousing rendition of "Last Night I Killed two Peasants" in Kix's mind. (A chipper tune common among the Knights of Kallandron 300 years ago) The sense of which is lost on Kix as he has most likely never heard of Kallandron, and even if he had he probably wouldn't understand the differing syntax.

Jo vidím môj dolly ona to len päť nohy dve,
    Vieš, že by som ju použiť na pančuchy uškrtit vás.
    Paraná do mesta si to brakový vak slečna,
    Je možné hrať v pohodě - yeah! Môže hrať temný.
    Zanechá stopy smrti za sebou,
    Nikdy sa vracia na scénu zločinu.
    V vamps hovoria, že si urobíme s rolníky zle,
    Vdovy v oblasti životného poľnohospodára pieseň.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-07 at 11:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hronus gestures calmly as he tries to placate the crowd.

"We found none of your stolen crops or property, but the White Fang Clan paid for their crimes against you with their lives. You no longer have to fear the safety of your farms. Now, my companions and I must return to the Fort, so let us pass."
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-02-08 at 12:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix trudges along trying not to let himself be distracted by the blade, muttering "Your a terrible singer" under his breath.

27. - Top - End - #87

The farmers glance at one another and then at the party once more. After a moments pause they begin to disperse with mutters of "Well that's all well and good, but it doesn't bring back my turnips." The crowd disbands quickly and the lightly charred farmers return to their burned out hovels.

Nightblood snorts indignantly (a remarkable feat taking into account his lack of nasal passages with which to snort). Maybe you are just a poor audience. Mišklev would have enjoyed it.

28. - Top - End - #88

With the farmers dispersed and the various party members no longer staring absently into space you move along and make your way to the fort. You pass through the open gates and come face to face with everyones favorite person, Drill Sergeant Dalto.

"Well Maggots! I have to say I am surprised to see you." he bellows, "Since you appear mostly intact I'll assume you took care of the White fangs. Here's your payment." He tosses you a small bag containing two small gems worth 50 gold pieces each.

"Now then, since you managed not to get yourself killed you'll be starting on some serious work. There's a Human caravan full of supplies moving through one of the southern passes on it's way to the Shieldwall. We want you to intercept it." He hands you a map on which the pass is marked, along with the path of the caravan that will be moving through it. "The supplies should be moving through the pass sometime tomorrow morning. Don't let them slip by."

With that he strides off into the bunkhouse for some more drunken indolence. On the way inside he retrieves his paperweight and hefts it ominously.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the fort there is a Blacksmith, General Supply, and Minotaur Wizard by the name of Baurus. Feel free to bother any of them before you leave

29. - Top - End - #89

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas smiles ruefully as the sergeant passes him his money and he decides he wants to seek out the blacksmith and find out about getting a matching blade for his new one he got from the goblins.

As he wandered the fort searching for the blacksmith he kept a sharp eye out for any thieves or others paying too much attention to him
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[8]

He finally finds the blacksmith and browses as the owner approaches.
    Smithy, I need a blade to match this odd one i recently got, and I want to see about selling my scimitars as I won't need them once you make me a new blade.

30. - Top - End - #90

Durthas walks obliviously across the fort without taking the care to actually notice his surroundings or anyone he passes. He rams headfirst into three poles and nearly trips on a dog but eventually makes it to the smithy.

The blacksmith, a soot encrusted Kobold wearing large complicated goggles, peers at the magical Khopesh. He spits a gob of equally sooty spittle on to the sooty floor and hops down from his stool.

"Aye lad, I've got another blade like that one. Not as fine a blade of course." He scuttles through a small door behind the counter into the forge rooms. After several muffled crashes and muted curses he returns with a second Khopesh.

"Ok then, I'll sell you the Khopesh for 20 gold, and I'll give you 5 for each of those Scimitars. So you owe me 10 gold for the new blade." He proffers the Khopesh in one hand and holds out the other for payment.

Spoiler
    Show
    You don't have to worry about having one made, because I think Khopesh's are cool, and thus the Khopesh is a very common weapon. The same goes Repeating Crossbows and Scythes
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-09 at 09:50 PM.