New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Spine [IC]

1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The Spine [IC]

Durthas

Suddenly being very cautious of his surroundings, Durthas turns to the Kobold and says, Say friend couldn't you offer me a slightly better deal for my scimitars? They are great blades and have served me wonderfully.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check for fun: (1d20)[8]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hronus walks off to the edge of the fort, smiling as he hides the gems in a pouch. He heads to the training grounds, practicing his axework on the straw dummies that are set up. After he is satisfied with his training, he heads back to the bunkhouse. Unrolling his newly-won magic bedroll, he decides to get a good rest before his next mission.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hronus will, time permitting, take an extended rest in his Restful Bedroll. This gets him (1d8)[1] temporary hit points. He also gets all lost hit points/healing surges back, as per a normal extended rest.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Kobold thwacks Durthas on the forehead with two fingers. "I'm not paying full price for your Scimitars. You think I'm running a charity?" He taps his foot and waits for payment.

Spoiler
    Show
    With the gems added in you have 520 gold and 3 healing potions. You can divy them up if you want, or sell them. Take 10 gold out of there for Durthas' new Khopesh and you have 510 left to divy up.

4. - Top - End - #94

DruidGuy

Durthas

Grudgingly Durthas realizes that his force of character just isn't enough to persuade anyone, and hands over ten gold pieces. Thank you Smithy, I will return soon for more purchases and I will be sure to tell my companions of your fair dealings with me today. Durthas says as he is testing the new blade in his hand against his old one, he likes the feel of the two together, but notices how the shopkeepers blade seems much more mundane than the other blade he received.

Wondering exactly how the blade was so easily wielded in his hand, Durthas decided that after the blacksmith made his change, he would visit the Fort's wizard, Baurus he thinks trying to remember back to what the sergeant said.

He sheathes his twin blades and heads toward where he thought he saw the shop earlier, but not totally sure since he was somewhat dazed at the time running into so many poles.

He arrives at the shop shortly and asks the wizard, who turned out to be a rather hairy minotaur to inspect the other blade.
    This blade is preternaturally light in my hand and is very well balanced, more so than any blade I have wielded prior, is it magical? he says as he holds up three gold coins to show the wizard he would pay for the information.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix will stick close to his large minotaur comrade on his way through town, a bit more wary than usual, seeing potential problems wherever he looks due to his unconventional burden.

As he walks in the attention grabbing behemoth's shadow he ponders the issue. Giving the sword to someone would be unwise, given what it did to the goblin. This could be one of those evil artifacts from stories, a blade that would take over a wielder of weak will and force evil actions upon then. He obviously dared not draw it himself.

He decided that he would take it to a kind hearted priest, one who would be least likely to be corrupted by any influence of the blade. Was there a priest of Bahamut nearby, he couldn't recall?

As the tiny paladin walked he spoke under his breath to the sword.

"What is your purpose? And who is this Mišklev you speak of?"

6. - Top - End - #96

Baurus, the Minotuar Wizard plucks the sword from Durthas' hands and peers at it from under bushy brows. After a few moments of concentration he straightens up and hands the sword back to you.

"That weapon has a Rending enchantment on it. Wielding this blade will lend you greater strength and speed like most enchanted weapons, and you may experience a strange Time dilation when the enchantment activates. It will give you a chance to strike at your opponent again while the enchantment speeds your assualt." He grabs a piece of parchment and begins scribbling on it with a stick of charcoal. "Here's the details on the blades enchantment. I doubt you care about the theory behind it but this should be all you'll ever need to know." He hands you the parchment and pockets you coins.

Spoiler
    Show
    You now know, In Character, everything about your weapon that I posted in the OOC thread.

7. - Top - End - #97

My purpose is "Destroy Evil".

At least that's what Vasher said it is. I've never really been clear on what that means. Oh and Mišklev? He was a Knight I hung around with for a while. At least until that Ogre got him.

With this Nightblood falls silent once more. Thinking back Kix knows of no Priests of Bahamut in the town. There is a chapel of Pelor, and several more to Corellon, Erathis and Kord (popular dieties among the Spine dwellers). Lawful Good is a very rare alignment in these parts, being mostly Unaligned.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Peldoe spends about 5 minutes dealing with the villagers before he gets bored and simply scares them away by muttering random words of power. He thinks about the sword for a bit and decides that he would rather take a closer look at it. He spots Kix and runs up to him.

"So, Kix, I was thinking, this sword is probably magical, I should probably take a look at it right? Just incase it has some bad effect if you hold on to it too long or something?" he says. He honestly just wants to study it, but knows the kobold would be outraged at the chance that the sword could harm some one.

[[Hehehe....]]
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Con Bar by Dorion Soth

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix shakes his head in disgust.

"Use Evil to destroy evil, is that it? A tactic which only brings ruin. I saw a part of your nature when you destroyed that goblin.

And who is this Vasher?"

The makes his way towards the temple to Pelor. Not to his taste, but probably the best suited to determine if this blade is evil.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    That last bit was directed to the sword, not Peldoe

Kix looks up at the mage distractedly. Eyes narrowing warily.

"Hmm? I suppose.. I intend to keep it under wraps until I can get it inspected by a priest. Come with me to the temple, and you can examine it after."

11. - Top - End - #101

Why do you ask so many questions? The sword snaps before immediately clamming up. Apparently not wanting to say any more on the subject. Which is odd as Nightblood has been chattering at Kix almost constantly since he had taken the sword.

The two arrive at the chapel of Pelor, a small stone building made of rough hewn limestone quarried from the surrounding hills. The fittings are simple, but well made. Upon entry they are confronted by the priest of Pelor, a robust (read: fat) Bugbear with a wide smiling face. His robes are spotted on the front with food and he is carrying a wineskin. You vaguely remember that his name is Gosti, and that he is a mostly pleasant enough fellow.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix stands before the rotund figure and holds out the heavy sword, wrapped in blankets.

"I found this. Before you take it, be warned, it seems to act on its own, and killed a goblin that drew it. I wish to be sure that it won't be a danger to the community before deciding what to do with it."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Peldoe enters the church and immediately feels uncomfortable. He was going to need to make a sacrifice later for entering this place. He sighed at the thought but carried on.
    "Hail Priest, on our last mission we found a enchanted sword that talks and my friend Kix wanted to..." he says. What did Kix want to do again?
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

The priest beams at the Kobold Paladin and gives a hearty guffaw, "Of course my boy, of course. Matters such as these are what I'm here for anyway. Give it here."

Now see here! I will not be handed about like some common bau-

Kix hands Nightblood to the priest mid-protest and the voice departs his mind as he loses contact with the sword. The priest gives a chuckle. "Feisty one isn't he? I'll begin the rituals of binding and have it locked up for safekeeping in no time." He walks out of the main chapel and into a back room with the sword.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Peldoe looks panicked. "Erm, Kix, are you sure its safe to leave a sword that powerful with one fat priest? Not to doubt Pelor-" at saying the gods name he twitches "but I think that sword might overpower him"

[[Who cannot see this coming? Its not like this sword has survived millenia by just skillfully avoiding any low level cleric >_>]]
    Last edited by Connor Darkdart; 2009-02-10 at 12:42 PM.
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I may not be the smartest kobold in the lair Mage, but I'm not That naive"

Kix strides forward confidently after the priest.

"Sir, I am a Paladin in the service of Bahamut, and I regret having to involve you and your church in my troubles. I will remain by your side until this problem is dealt with. Surely our gods will be pleased by our spirit of cooperation in the face of this potential evil"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Peldoe grumbles. "Not quite what I meant"

He follows the two and thinks. There is no way to retrieve the blade without being obviously defiant... Maybe some trickery would help.

"Wait a second, what is that good aura emanating from it!? he shouts once the sword was on the floor. Under his breath he whispers "Ghost Sound"and points at the priest. He then quickly whispers in a divine sounding voice "Halt! This sword was made for great good! You shall not harm it or suffer my wrath priest. The Wizard will help you take care of it.

[[So basically I am emulating Pelor contancting a priest, and I need to roll a bluff roll to see if the priest believes his half baked scheme.]]

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[12]
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

[[Sorry for the double post, but I just realised I would need a Religion roll as well to see if I actually know enough about Pelor to emulate him. Dandandan!]]

[spoiler](1d20+6)[12]
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

"What trickery is this?" The Cleric frowns at the feeble attempt to impersonate a Divine presence. He suddenly turns towards the wizard.

"You there.

Out"

The Cleric uses his divine command word to order Peldoe out of the chapel. His holy symbol of Pelor bursts into radiance and Pelode is flung out of the chapel to land a full 30 feet away in a hay stack.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[25] vs Will (15)

He harumphs with a sense of finality and turns back to Kix. "You had better watch out for that one. He's liable to get you killed if he keeps up that nonsense." He tucks Nightblood into his belt. "I'll start binding this up. Just keep your friend out of my Chapel from now on."

Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously Conbar. Insight is a class skill for Clerics, and Wisdom based. Which is the Cleric's attack stat. Don't try to bluff clerics.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-10 at 02:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Peldoe lands outside and is upset, he had hoped to of known more about Pelor and be able to imitate him, but obviously a mere cantrip was not enough. He thought about what other spells he could use to help himself. He gets out of the haystack and casts Prestidigiation to lift all the hay covering off him.

[[Didn't think it was worth mentioning but my will defense is now 16, because of the .5 level upgrade, doesn't really make a difference but just an FYI]]
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

((Your sheet still says Will is 15. That's where I will be going to check any of your stats. It still adds up to 15, 11+2+2))
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-10 at 02:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

[[Ah sorry, your right.]]

Disgruntled at being thrown out, Peldoe approaches the church a little bit and ists down and concentrates, he starts invocating the magic words needed for one of his rituals, most specificly Magic Mouth. He chants the words the Mouth will say and also the trigger. [[The following is assuming no interruption]] he then stands up and walks off to the fort to report their succes in the mission.

[[Basically, assuming no interruption. I have just created a Magic Mouth on the wall next to the front door of the church that will be activated when someone says "Pelor" near it. Its appearance are sharp teeth and cracked lips.
    it says the following.
    "Actually, this is a church to the almighty death of all things living. By entering you forfeit your soul.[[shouting]] ENTER MORTAL!". What can I say? Peldoe does not appreciate being thrown out.]]
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

With the sword safely stowed the Priest urges Kix out of the chapel so that he can go about the binding rituals. He pushes Kix out and firmly closes the door with a final quip, "And keep your Wizard out of the chapel of Pelor!"

Peldoe's magic mouth begins yammering immediately "Actually, this is the church to the Almighty death of all-

"Quiet you!" The priest smashes the magic mouth with his fist, putting a large crack in his once pristine limestone facing. "Blast it all! Thrice be-damned wizards!" he curses, clutching his aching hand.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-10 at 02:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix slips back inside as the priest is distracted with the mouth.

"Good Priest.. I will remain until your labour is finished, and defend you from any who would interrupt. This is my charge, as the sword fell to me. I will see it through.

Surely I can be of aid in your rituals? Or if not I will stand a silent sentinel and not disturb you in your endeavours."

The small Kobold stands resolute, hand on his hilt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kix can use aid another to help with any religion checks, and in so doing see what the priest is trying to do. Any other priests around? He should have trouble justifying throwing out a Paladin who is promising to defend him.

And dammit mage, way to cause trouble, lol

25. - Top - End - #115

DruidGuy

Durthas

As Durthas is exploring the rest of the fort after his meeting with the Minotaur wizard he passes near the temple of Pelor and hears an ominous voice speak but he cant make out the words, then he see's a priest smash the wall and shout something about wizards. Nearby he see's Peldoe and approaches, What was he saying Peldoe? And where are the others?

26. - Top - End - #116

"Very well, if you feel you must." The priest pulls out a piece of chalk and draws a circle on the floor, placing Nightblood in the center of the circle. He then walks into the back room and returns with a large tome. He cracks the tome open and begins to scan through the contents.

"Here we are, the binding ritual." He kneels in front of the circle and begins to chant the ritual words. He lights several sticks of incense and waves his implement in the appropriate parts.

The ritual builds to a crescendo, the incense smoke swirls with radiant sparks in a vortex around the sword. With a sharp command word the smoke and sparks settle around the sword in a misty cage of light.

The cage immediately turns black and is sucked into the sword.

"Oh my... That wasn't supposed to happen."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Peldoe looks at the minouar and puts a finger to his lips. He gestures that the minoutar should come behind the hay stack. "This silly priest threw me out and I made a Magic Mouth on his wall. He just punched it and really hurt himself! Isn't that just hilarious!?"
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Spoiler
    Show
    Locations
    - Kix: Inside Chapel
    - Peldoe: Outside Chapel
    - Durthas: Outside Chapel
    - Hronus: Fort barracks
    - Bermuda: Unknown

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kix rapidly draws his blade and stands ready, watching the swirling darkness with great intent.

Seeing no immediate threat, he gestures rapidly, expanding a circle of protection around himself and the priest.

Spoiler
    Show
    standard action - Sacred Circle , readying a minor action to mark anything hostile that appears

"Are you alright Priest?"

30. - Top - End - #120

The priest nods shakily to Kix, "Yeah, I'm fine... it's just..." He waves vaguely at Nightblood, "It ate the spell. That was my most powerful binding." He picks up the sword and thrusts it back into Kix's hands.

"I'm not sure what that thing is, but no magics of mine can hold it. It's safest with you for now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Peldoe F.Y.I. Durthas is not a Minotaur, Hronus is the minotaur. Durthas is a bugbear.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-10 at 04:03 PM.