New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Spine [IC]

1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The Spine [IC]

Durthas

Durthas see's Kix fall in a heap and rushes to attack the aggressor, knowing he has no skills in healing a wound he hopes someone else in the party can assist him. Seeing Hronus' attack smash into the human he decides to take on the elf. He swings both his blades at the surrounding enemies.

Spoiler
    Show

Ok so I think I have the dual wield elf and human both within a close burst 1 for me so I will use Dire Wolverine Strike.

Attack vs Human: (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage vs Huma: (1d10+6)[13]

Attack vs Elf: (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage vs Elf: (1d10+5)[8]
    Quarry vs Elf: (1d6)[4]

Then I will also use my action point to gain a standard action and use the power Twin Strike against the elf:

A1(1d20+8)[25]
    A2(1d20+7)[24]
    D1(1d10+6)[15]
    D2(1d10+5)[12]
    Q1(1d6)[6]

Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-13 at 07:41 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hronus cleaves the Human in twain with his greataxe, sending the confused torso sailing through the air. In the meantime Durthas unleashes a ferocious assault on his Elven counterpart, dicing him into at least 16 different parts. They both expire quickly.

Kix stirs on the ground, having been drawn back from the brink of death by Hronus' inspiring word.

The Halfling gulps upon noticing that he is standing exposed in the middle of a clearing with all the heavy fighters in his party now lying dead. He dashes to the forests edge, towards the caravan.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[28] Stealth Check

The Halfling disappears into the underbrush without a trace. Meanwhile the Gnome has not yet grasped how much trouble he is in and is still standing on the edge of the clearing.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-13 at 10:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bermuda continues to move in a wide sweep to the side of the gnome, cutting off his path towards the direction the halfling ran. She grins watching her first target flee in terror. "We have had a very productive day. Let's not let this last one get away though"

Spoiler
    Show
    Curse the gnome (+1AC) and cast witchfire vs. reflex.
    (1d20+6)[26]
    (2d6+6)[12] and -2 to all his attack rolls for a round
    (1d6)[6] for the Curse
    Last edited by Kamatari; 2009-02-14 at 04:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

The Gnome collapses in a shrieking fireball of agony as the spell strips the flesh from his bones. He is dead, about as dead as it is possible to be. The glade falls silent as the battle abruptly ceases. All the members of the civilized party, other than the Halfing are dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to loot the bodies of the heroes before moving along. By the way, nice Crit Kamatari.

5. - Top - End - #155

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas examines the fallen enemies, taking special note of the equipment he believes may be of use for him. Particularly the weapons wielded by the two elves. He first takes note of the dual swords, and then the bow wielded by the other elf. He leaves it to one of the more magically inclined to find better hidden items.

But he does a quick one over to see what he can find.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[14] To find stuff on them.

6. - Top - End - #156

The Sword elf's weapons are a completely mundane longsword and shortsword. His armor however appears to be magical. The Bow elf has no magical items on him, but he does have a startling amount of gold and a deck of cards.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hronus gives Kix a hand up from the ground, then moves to where the top half of the Human warrior landed. "Blood-mad murderer," Hronus snarls, "Who knows how many of our kind you've needlessly slaughtered. Let's see how you like the afterlife with no eyes." With that, Hronus plucks out the corpse's eyes and stomps them into the ground.

He begins to walk away, but turns back and picks up the human's halberd. "Looks like we're the ones who will be taking trophies."
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-02-14 at 06:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

DruidGuy

Durthas

After searching the bodies, taking the gold and deck of cards and stripping the magical armor and throwing it on the ground to be inspected by the wizard, Durthas turns to the others and says,
    So what has everyone else found? This one had some magical armor, but the other had nothing of consequence.

9. - Top - End - #159

You gather up the various possessions of the dead adventurers and move swiftly in the direction the Halfling fled, back toward the caravan trail. As you enter the pass you see the Halfling give up on unharnessing one of the draft horses which are too agitated to pull the cart at the moment. The cart itself is caught in a rut, the wheel lodged tightly enough that the horses are unable to dislodge it.

He sprints for the edge of the pass with a light pack and is quickly out of sight among the vegetation. The cart is a small affair, covered with a tarp and drawn by two stocky horses. There are several crates visible underneath the tarp.

From this point it is a days walk to the Banshrae hive. Half a day if you ride in the cart. If you leave soon you will arrive by nightfall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone can make a Nature check to calm the horses and a Strength check to dislodge the cart. There is no loot in the cart, just the supplies that you are supposed to bring back to the Spine fort with you. It's mostly non-perishable food and mundane weapons. Nothing that will suffer from a day's diversion.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-14 at 10:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas approaches the wagon and horses and calms them down and checks to make sure there are no more enemies nearby. He then shoves on the cart hard to try to dislodge it from being stuck.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[16] Nature to calm horses
    (1d20+4)[7] Str to dislodge wagon.

11. - Top - End - #161

Durthas successfully calms the horses, but his tentative push does not dislodge the cart. The rest of the party joins Durthas at the caravan trail. Durthas gives several more tugs but does not budge the stubborn cart.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-14 at 11:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

if we all push together we can certainly free this cart to work for our own purpose

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check to assist (1d20)[16]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Aye, I'll give you a hand with that cart."

Spoiler
    Show
    Str check to assist: (1d20+4)[18]

14. - Top - End - #164

With your combined strength the cart bursts free of the rut and is once more useable. The horses prance nervously but remain calm for the moment.

15. - Top - End - #165

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas calms the horses down and takes the drivers position.
    Come everyone, this wagon will surely quicken our trip!

Spoiler
    Show

Nature Check for driving the horses:

(1d20+7)[20]

Durthas begins driving toward the destination assuming everyone gets in.

16. - Top - End - #166

The party piles in to the cart, quickly settling down among the crates of supplies. Durthas brings the horses around and you begin the plodding descent back in to civilized lands. You are already south of the Shieldwall, so there shouldn't be anything in between you and the Vale.

The time passes slowly, as you make your way out of the mountains and into the verdant farmland of the Vale. Ahead of you a thin plume of dust rises from the trail, presumably from another traveler heading your way.

There are no notable landmarks or geographic features in any direction, nor any kind of cover. Just rolling grassland for miles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember, you are scary monsters in the middle of civilized farmland right now.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-15 at 10:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

"I think I should take the shape of a human, in order to not arise as many questions from locals. If anyone approaches us, you could be my prisoners. God knows the humans have believed stupider things." Peldoe says.

As he waits for a response he checks over the items they gained. He also rifles through the Ritual Book and writes down the Ritual in that book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I have to make an Arcana check for each and every item?
    (1d20+11)[23] [Arcana Check]
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Con Bar by Dorion Soth

18. - Top - End - #168

Peldoe assumes the guise of a human while the oncoming caravan comes slowly into sight. You notice that you're "Prisoners" still bristle with weapons and are not bound in any way. Perhaps something should be done about that.

Spoiler
    Show
    At the Moment you have a -2 circumstance penalty to bluffing the travelers due to your Prisoners being armed. And an additional -2 penalty for them being unrestrained.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hronus throws his weapons and shield into the cart the horses are carrying, and motions for the others to do the same. "We should probably look as if we've been captured if Peldoe's deception is to succeed." He also does his best to appear under magical control.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check to convince approaching enemies that he is under some form of controlling spell: (1d20+4)[17]

I don't want to risk being bound up if Peldoe's Bluff is discovered, so I'm going with trying to look as if we've been subdued by the magic of our human wizard imprisoner.
    Last edited by Surrealist; 2009-02-16 at 07:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Hronus manages to look suitably dispirited and beaten down, making a convincing display of being a prisoner. With his weapons out of sight he will most likely deceive the travelers.

21. - Top - End - #171

DruidGuy

Durthas

At Hronus' words Durthas lays his blades behind him out of sight, but not out of mind.
    We need to stay calm and let these weaklings think we are prisoners.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff check as well:(1d20)[5]Prayin for a good roll!! Damn my horrible luck...

Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-16 at 09:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Durthas is now unarmed, but still visibly defiant and far too straight backed to be slave. The travelers are beginning to draw very near, you can almost make out the figures driving the cart.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bermuda throws her rod and sickle into the cart, but conceals her dagger up her sleeve and assumes her best beaten down look.

Spoiler
    Show
    bluff: (1d20+5)[6]

...oh dear
    Last edited by Kamatari; 2009-02-17 at 08:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I assist them with their Bluff checks somehow?
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175

While now disarmed, Bermuda still looks quite sinister. With the unconvincing Durthas by her side the cart does not look so much like a prisoner cart but an especiallly unhappy family outing.

Seeing the cart about to come alongside you Kix makes his own attempt to appear beaten down, and stows his weapons among the crates.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[20] Kix's bluff (just for time constraints sake)

Kix manages to look beaten down alongside Hronus and the two balance out the ineffective display of the two Bugbears. Just as the party finishes preparing for the coming cart it rolls up to them. The wagon is wide and fills the narrow track. The Driver is tall and wears loose homespun garmets that hang from an overly thin frame. He also wears a large straw hat and a light scarf to keep the dust off his face. All that can be seen are his eyes, which can barely be seen among the shadows of his headgear.

There are two smaller figures, in similar garb, poking out of the back of the high cart. They do not wear hats, but their scarves are wrapped entirely around their heads.

The fabrics are oddly bright for peasant garb, far more color than you would expect on such simple garmets. The Driver peers over at you and your cart, which will not be able to pass his without going off the road and into the soft earth on either side (and probably become stuck).

"Why... er... Monsters in your cart?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Since half the party looks beaten down, and they are all unarmed, you no longer have any circumstance penalties to your bluff skill. Go ahead and bluff away Peldoe.

You notice that there appears to also be monsters in the other travelers cart, an assortment of goblinoids mostly, all shackled together and looking much more authentic as prisoners.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-18 at 02:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

DruidGuy

Durthas

Durthas takes a look at the approaching wagon and trys to see if there is anything he missed at first glance.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll for perception: (1d20+9)[27] I think my mod is 9, dont have access to my sheet right now at work, if its 7 just subtract 2.

He then calls to the other goblins in Goblin, Why are you in chains? This human has beaten us down with his will but you still have yours!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need a bluff check in goblin, my main goal is to see if the human speaks goblin or not.

27. - Top - End - #177

Durthas takes a closer look at the cart. He notices immediately that it is full of shackled Goblinoids and various others of the Monster races. The three which are not shackled appear very strange.

The driver's clothing is very baggy and loose, yet you can tell that he is very thin underneath. You can't make out any facial features, but the bone structure of their face is strange as well. His fingers are oddly elongated, much more so than any human you have seen.

The two shorter figures are quite clearly not children. They do not appear comfortable in their current clothing and especially seem to dislike wearing shoes. They both have several daggers just barely visible as bulges in their clothing.

As Durthas shouts the driver looks at you blankly, he quite clearly does not speak Goblin. One of the goblins in the cart looks up "They said not to speak..." One of the shorter figures bops the goblin on the top of the head mutely and the creature trails off.

The two shorter figures begin peering at you suspisciouly and fingering the hilts of their knives.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It appears to me that for Change shape, I get a +20 to Bluff, and another +4 for natural skill. May be wrong (just checked my MM).

Peldoe looks at his prisoners and says "Do not be worried. They are bound by my magic, I found them looting the corpse of some adventurers and decided to take them in. Some of them are resisting a bit, but they cannot outdo the power of the Arcane. What are you doing with so many Goblins on your cart?". He disguises his voice to match that of the human warrior they met earlier

(1d20+24)[41] Bluff Check
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179

The driver tilts his head just slightly back towards the cart and one of the shorter figures nods almost imperceptibly (which means only Durthas is perceptive enough to notice it). The travelers cart suddenly lurches to one side and the railing the figure was standing on a moment ago explodes with a thundercrack of shattering timber.

The blurring figure zips across the intervening space and lunges at Peldoe with his knife drawn in all but an instant.

Spoiler
    Show
    The shorty uses Tumble to shift from one cart to the other and then make a Sneak Attack Piercing strike against Peldoe. For some crazy ass damage if he hits.

(1d20+11)[31] vs. Reflex
    (1d4+5)[6] + (2d8+2)[14] Damage vs. Peldoe

By the way, Rolling for Initiative now.

(1d20+8)[17] The Other shorty
    (1d20+7)[21] The Driver
    (1d20+7)[16] Durthas
    (1d20+5)[10] Bermuda
    (1d20+2)[18] Kix
    (1d20+1)[16] Hronus
    (1d20+1)[13] Peldoe

The figure plunges his dagger into Peldoes chest, causing the wizard to lose his shape and revert to doppleganger form as he falls to the ground. The figure reels back in confusion at this. By his reaction you can tell that he was really convinced the wizard was a human. Nonetheless, if Peldoe does not receive help soon he will expire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ouch, sneak attack critical means max damage for my little buddy here. That's 4+5+16+2, which puts Peldoe at -7 hp.

You are all basically within arms reach of the little guy though. I'm going to allow that you can draw your weapons from where they are right now as a Minor action

The Driver stands up and looks over at the party. "We take you from here. You get in cart now." Otherwise he does nothing on his turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot about Hronus' thing again. So here is the Initiative list.
    1. Shorty #1
    2. The Driver
    3. Kix
    4. Hronus & Durthas
    5. Shorty #2
    6. Peldoe
    7. Bermuda

So that means that Kix is up now, since the Driver chose not to attack during his round.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-19 at 11:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

DruidGuy

Durthas

With astonishing speed the little one zips across the gap of wagons and attacks Peldoe, dealing a grisley wound. Durthas is astonished at how effective his attack was and snaps out of it and grabs up his blades waiting for an opportunity to attack.

Durthas says to the Driver Why should we get in your cart, you attacked one of us, not realizing they were attempting to act as prisoners, his hands gripping his blades tightly.
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-19 at 11:54 AM.