New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Notes About the Erfworld Book

I'm getting asked about our plans for the Erfworld book a lot, so now's a good time to put up some general info.

Note 1 - This story has an ending

Book 1 is called The Battle for Gobwin Knob for a reason. Obviously that battle is taking place now, and the story will be finished when the battle is settled. Book 2 will be its own story, with some narrative distance from Book 1. (No, I won't explain that. It's spoilery. )

Note 2 - Only Book 1 will run on Giant in the Playground

We've been working on a new website which will be up at erfworld.com before this story wraps up. We've gotten the greatest head start of any story comic in webcomics history here, but it's been the plan for a long time that we'll leave the GiantITP nest and fly off on our own. Book 1 will finish here, and Book 2 and subsequent books will begin updates there. As always, we'd like to thank Rich for this amazing opportunity. We'll have a longer and better thank you when it's time to part.

Note 3 - The physical book will have unique story content

This is what prompted me to post this. It might seem to you that things are happening very quickly in Erfworld right now. Well, we are planning to add a little more meat in the book version. A few pages of mostly combat scenes, like the fighting retreat back to the garrison, will be available only in the printed book. It's just action stuff that you don't need to understand what's happening, but it's Jamie's art, it's fighting...it's cool. Also in the book will be two epilogues, short stories written by me and illustrated by Jamie. These will tie up the remaining loose ends in the aftermath of the battle. We're considering a glossary and brief basics on "game" rules, too. We'll see.

Note 4 - We don't yet know who will publish the book, or when it will be out

This stuff is still under wraps, but there is progress and reason to be very hopeful. We'll make announcements when the time comes.

Thanks for reading Erfworld, and consider becoming a fan on Facebook, where I have been leaking tidbits about upcoming pages, etc.
    Last edited by pclips; 2009-01-31 at 07:42 AM.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Notes About the Erfworld Book

Narrative distance. A nice to saying that many of the characters from Book 1 may not be around or show up.

Thank you for the information.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks!
    I will defenitely buy a copy, preferably signed and autographed
    I'd really love some peace here, thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Just point me to a pre-order button when it's done. Ditto on the signed copy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I haven't bought any of the GitP stuff, but I think I'll go for Erf. It's really good, it's steadily grown on me (OotS has done the opposite) and neither of you have impressed me as being boopholes on a personal front.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

So Jamie will make some additional art with lots of action? Really cool.
    I hope this includes a single-panel on two pages like this. Preferable with dwagons and fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird View Post
    neither of you have impressed me as being boopholes on a personal front.
    That's only because I decided to sthu a while back. I can be quite the boophole under certain conditions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Note 3 - The physical book will have unique story content

This is what prompted me to post this. It might seem to you that things are happening very quickly in Erfworld right now. Well, we are planning to add a little more meat in the book version. A few pages of mostly combat scenes, like the fighting retreat back to the garrison, will be available only in the printed book. It's just action stuff that you don't need to understand what's happening, but it's Jamie's art, it's fighting...it's cool. Also in the book will be two epilogues, short stories written by me and illustrated by Jamie. These will tie up the remaining loose ends in the aftermath of the battle. We're considering a glossary and brief basics on "game" rules, too. We'll see.
    I'm really glad to hear that, my only complaint about your comic has been that the dramatic reversals have been happening too rapidly, so adding a few scenes between them, even just battle art (which Jamie is really good at) I think will help improve the pacing.

And a glossary is probably something you'd want to include just to help the readers out a bit more, perhaps one that's stylistically in keeping with Parson's klog notes?

Just my $.02, and you'll get a lot more than that from me when the book comes out, I'm looking forward it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooo! Sign me up for several!

And... on your own site? THAT'S interesting and exciting news! Will there be local forums? How far forward have you scripted stories (other than Asha & sundry folks)? Are there plans to launch a new comic here in tandem with OotS?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird View Post
    ...[N]either of you have impressed me as being boopholes on a personal front.
    That's only because I decided to sthu a while back. I can be quite the boophole under certain conditions.
    I can respect, admire, and relate to that.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2009-01-31 at 06:51 PM. Reason: personal honesty
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh yes, I'm definitely going to get the erfworld book as soon as it's ready. I already have $60 set aside just for it. This is quite honestly the best comic I've read in a long long time.

I just hope book 2 and beyond has Parson. Erfworld just wouldn't be the same without him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

A few pages of mostly combat scenes, like the fighting retreat back to the garrison
    Heh. I called that one last week :)
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's a shame that Erfworld will be leaving the Playground, but if you feel if is for the best, it most likely is.

Anyway, as soon as we can pre-order, let us know; I want to my dead gump version! Reading comics on the interwebs is nice, but there is nothing like holding a real book in your hands: the smell of the ink, the feel of the paper, there's... just nothing like it.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-01-31 at 11:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So, is "Quest for the Arkentools Part 2" going to be up after Gobwin Knob is up?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    So, is "Quest for the Arkentools Part 2" going to be up after Gobwin Knob is up?
    Ha! You know I really should give that some thought...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

...I live in Australia....are there going to be easy ways of getting the book outside the US???
    Land of Immortals: Apocalypse - NWN2 PvP server....custom conquering system where players join an immortal battle for control of the lands resources....

come challenge my brute - warning, may be addictive

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bawon von Howse View Post
    ...I live in Australia....are there going to be easy ways of getting the book outside the US???
    Well he said it wasn't known who will publish it yet, so I guess we won't know for a while.
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bawon von Howse View Post
    That one I can answer, though. Getting the Erfworld book on store shelves internationally is one of the things we're seeking in a publisher. However, even if we go with some publishing solution which doesn't give us that, we will definitely make it possible to order the book directly online internationally, through our own site and/or Amazon. I'll mail books myself if I have to!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Will you ever consider going to Dragon*Con again after the book is out so that I can get it autographed?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReccaSquirrel View Post
    Will you ever consider going to Dragon*Con again after the book is out so that I can get it autographed?
    Consider? Certainly. I used to love Dragon*Con, above all other cons! I've been a panelist at 5 of them.

But I don't see myself going back, not after the treatment I've received from them the last couple of years. They've stopped being a great small con that scaled up to gigantic, and have started to act like a giant con. Most of the smaller tracks have been thrown under the bus in favor of the media track. If you are not an actor, then you're somewhere between an afterthought and a parasite to them. Maybe if Erfworld makes it to theatres or TV someday, they'll rediscover their sense of hospitality. But until then, I don't need the frustration and disrespect. Not when there are 20 friendlier cons a year that I can participate in.

(Watch me say that and then get a nice invitation next week. What was that about learning to sthu?)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Sounds exciting! Dibs on his dice a copy!
    I would happily buy a copy even it did not have any extras.
    Please do consider selling books through Amazon. They deliver (almost) everywhere, much to the convenience of those living outside the US. (I have to get OotS books delivered to an address in the US and then get them forwarded to me to make sure I receive them. Amazon would be a much more convenient option.)

UPD: Oh, and please consider writing a commentary about all the cultural references that you put into the comic. (I feel like I miss at least half of them.)
    Last edited by Muzzafar; 2009-02-02 at 04:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I'll miss having two of my favorite webcomics on the same site.

That said, I will hunt you down wherever you hide it and continue reading.

After I purchase my copy, at any rate.

Any idea how many more pages you'd like in Book 1?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Will there be local forums? How far forward have you scripted stories (other than Asha & sundry folks)? Are there plans to launch a new comic here in tandem with OotS?
    See, I don't mean to turn this into an open Q&A thread. But yeah, the new site will have forums, a wiki, and other kinds of fan participation. The scripting is complete for Book 1. Book 2 has a complete story structure, a rough plot outline, but no script pages right now. I don't even want to think about that amount of work right now, knowing that the script for Book 1 was over 100K words. And I can't even speculate about Rich's plans for any new comics at GiantITP. (That'd be cool, though, I'd read it.) The gaming-group story is on hold and may be massively reworked or dropped, but if it goes up anywhere it will be on the new site.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The second book will focus on Charlie, who he is, how he got to where he is, why Stanley doesn't like him, how he got the Archons, and what his fine print is.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

What about the klogs? Since they're not counted as pages (the current strip is #140 but page #127) I'm assuming they won't be in the book, am I right? Will they be replaced by normal pages (since sometimes they tell things that are essential to the story)?

The first three klogs are kinda superfluous, Parson discovering the world's rules. It's not needed if there's an appendix with that info as per note #3.
    The fourth contains an essential bit of info (Parson getting the goggles with his Stupid Meal, something we don't see on page #39).
    The fifth, with his quick description of the "little battle" and how Ansom got Jillian back, sounds like the type of "extra action page" you were talking about.
    The sixth is more Parson brainstorming, so not necessary.
    The seventh, again, is the only place where we see a new toy (the sword hilt), and Misty's burial is there too.
    The eighth has the RCC army getting in range and the marbits entering the tunnels, the ninth has Sizemore preparing traps and dead-ends.
    The remaining four are just Parson's thoughts with no essential info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The second book will focus on Charlie, who he is, how he got to where he is, why Stanley doesn't like him, how he got the Archons, and what his fine print is.
    I think Stanley doesn't like Charlie because as he is attuned to his artifact, he is just as capable to claim he is on a mission to reclaim the Arkentools as Stanley is.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    What about the klogs?
    The Klogs will be in the book. The whole book will be renumbered. The numbering scheme here changed a couple of times and was mainly for the convenience of the existing comic-loading scripts.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

That one I can answer, though. Getting the Erfworld book on store shelves internationally is one of the things we're seeking in a publisher. However, even if we go with some publishing solution which doesn't give us that, we will definitely make it possible to order the book directly online internationally, through our own site and/or Amazon. I'll mail books myself if I have to!
    I just registered to the forums in order to ask exactly that ("Ship to Europe! Ship to Europe!")* as soon as I read the announcement of the book. Should have read the post a bit further. But since I've registered now I take the opportunity to mention that this comic simply blows my mind and thank you for putting it online for everyone to read :)

*At least the ships won't have to cross the sea at Somalia and run the risk of being captured by pirates...
    Last edited by stroggified; 2009-02-02 at 06:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stroggified View Post
    I just registered to the forums in order to ask exactly that ("Ship to Europe! Ship to Europe!")* as soon as I read the announcement of the book. Should have read the post a bit further. But since I've registered now I take the opportunity to mention that this comic simply blows my mind and thank you for putting it online for everyone to read :)

*At least the ships won't have to cross the sea at Somalia and run the risk of being captured by pirates...
    ACtually, that might be better in some ways. It's not very often that you can say, "Oh yes, my signed first edition Gobwin Knob... that particular copy was captured by pirates, and it took three months of delicate negotiations to ransom it back from them!" The metastory would be priceless! (insert Mastercard joke here)
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Just to chime in, Erfworld leaving GITP and forming its own website after the first story was finished was always the plan from when Rob and I first agreed to do this thing. It's not like they're getting kicked off (or are storming out in a huff).

My feeling back when this started was that I could use OOTS' popularity to bring attention to new work, the way that a headlining band chooses an unknown band as an opener. If that band is a hit with enough of the headliner's fans, they start to attract fans of their own who don't even like the headliner. Eventually, they start doing their own solo concerts, choose their own opening act, and the Circle of Life continues, Simba.

In that vein, yes, the hope is to have a new "opening act" for OOTS after Erfworld leaves, though there will likely be a gap. But as Rob said, there will be more discussions of this sort when the day comes.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

You do realize that the mere prospect of having you host someone else's comic on your (very popular) site to replace the 'slot' that Erfworld held, is going to increase the river of requests for you to host their brand new comic into a tsunami?

Of course I'm sure I'm sure you can pick the diamonds out of the mud (and I do plead guilty to having delusions of grandeur to be as such in the semi-distant future), but if your inbox wasn't in the ICU by now, you better get the ambulance ready...