As Soon told Miko, redemption is a rare and special thing. I see thus far four characters in need of serious redemption and desire some form of it (not counting Roy abandoning Elan that one time): Belkar, Miko, Redcloak, and Vaarsuvius. I also see two pairs of options: Lives and Dies, Redeemed and Not Redeemed.

I think we will see all four combinations.

Miko: Dead, not redeemed. Used to convey what's necessary for redemption.

Belkar: Prophecied to die. That leaves only Dead and Redeemed. I suspect that since he's trying to be better, a heroic sacrifice may tilt the scales just enough in his favor to barely redeem him out of the Lower Planes.

That leaves the two who'll live: V and Redcloak.

Redcloak keeps ALMOST seeing the error of his ways, but keeps falling for the Sunk Cost fallacy and claiming what he does is necessary. I saw on TV Tropes an analysis why he doesn't wield a weapon - a symbolic lack of (moral) strength. Well, his survival is necessary to mend the gates. Here's what I think: he'll be defeated and monitored. Controlling the gates is out, but fixing the holes in reality will prevent worse and let him think he'll get a gate eventually, once an Arcane caster shows up to help make one in the first place. He continues, necessarily living, but is unable to realize his mistakes are just that.

Meanwhile, V is actively seeking redemption. I think V will find redemption. Means unknown, though I'm personally hoping V will learn enough empathy and hope for helping others that V manages to surpass TN and go for NG when they eventually die after a lifetime of atoning. Or, my ideas include creating a pair of organizations to stop further mistakes: educating people on how monster =/= kill on sight like Roy and the music fans in On the Origin of PCs and an international tribunal so that Roy's legal confusion about jurisdictions won't happen. Thus becoming LG and meeting Roy on the mountain.

Thanks, and what do you think?