Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 128
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Fay Graydon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ashton-Under-Lyne
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MeTheGameGuy View Post
    Is the OotS art style under copyright? Obviously, the actual characters, scenarios, locations and so on are owned by The Giant. Does the art style fall under the same copyright? Does it have a specific copyright license (like, say, Creative Commons)?
    Simple answer: No

    Picasso couldn't exactly say that his art style was 100% his own AND then copyright it...
    However, if you were to pain one of his pictures or use one of his paintings as part of your own, yes it would be.

    So if we were to use Roy, or V in one of our own comics without his permission that would be copyright.
    But simply using his style is not.

    I hope this has helped
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Read the Comic about PASSIVE™
    Dawn of Yesterday (Indefinitely dead)
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MeTheGameGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    eBay
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Fayte Graydon View Post
    I hope this has helped
    Ah, thanks. That makes sense.
    Official Member of The Guy With A Halberd Fanclub


  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Fay Graydon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ashton-Under-Lyne
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MeTheGameGuy View Post
    Ah, thanks. That makes sense.
    Hehehe... Now there's something that I dont hear often
    Glad to be of help.
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Read the Comic about PASSIVE™
    Dawn of Yesterday (Indefinitely dead)
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    The way I see it, apart from his actual characters, you can't really copyright stick figures.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground
     
    CrimsonAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    *generally discusses fan comics.
    ____

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MeTheGameGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    eBay
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    The way I see it, apart from his actual characters, you can't really copyright stick figures.
    Well, you could copyright the ratio of eye sizes. Or the male (rectangular) and female (sort of bean-shaped) body designs. Or the various kinds of eyebrows.
    Official Member of The Guy With A Halberd Fanclub


  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MeTheGameGuy View Post
    Well, you could copyright the ratio of eye sizes. Or the male (rectangular) and female (sort of bean-shaped) body designs. Or the various kinds of eyebrows.
    You can't really copyright rectangles and beans.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MeTheGameGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    eBay
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    You can't really copyright rectangles and beans.
    You could, uh... copyright the use of rectangles or beans to represent specific shapes?
    Official Member of The Guy With A Halberd Fanclub


  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MeTheGameGuy View Post
    You could, uh... copyright the use of rectangles or beans to represent specific shapes?
    Err... I don't think you can. You can copyright a image if it represents a logo or a character. If you could could copyright a certain style I would go out copyrighting every single art style and trademark-troll the artists for money


    Anyway.... I came here to talk about something...

    I'm thinking of starting a "Comic Lab" thread here. A place to the authors and artists to post experimental comics and discuss comics technics. Should I do it or you guys think it will end up forgoten and unloved?
    It's BACK!

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Maximum Zersk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada, Eh?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    Err... I don't think you can. You can copyright a image if it represents a logo or a character. If you could could copyright a certain style I would go out copyrighting every single art style and trademark-troll the artists for money


    Anyway.... I came here to talk about something...

    I'm thinking of starting a "Comic Lab" thread here. A place to the authors and artists to post experimental comics and discuss comics technics. Should I do it or you guys think it will end up forgoten and unloved?
    I'd be willing to help out with the lab.

    A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

    Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

    Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.


    Spoiler
    Show




  11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Underdark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Heya, can someone tell me how to break apart objects in Inkscape?
    The Doctor Is In.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    icastflare!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Divide
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    about how long does It take for a comic to be approved by the moderators?
    Avatar of a Drow priestess by Teutonic Knight.

    This is where I put my writings. Want to take a look?

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by icastflare! View Post
    about how long does It take for a comic to be approved by the moderators?
    For me it was somewhere between a couple days and a week.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Teutonic Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Do fan comics have to be funny? Or can they just be like normal comics only drawn in OotS-style?
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tiffanie Lirle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maybe tomorrow

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    Do fan comics have to be funny? Or can they just be like normal comics only drawn in OotS-style?
    Funny is optional. If you want to make a comic just telling a story then I'm pretty sure that's fine.

    But a little humor once in a while doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2010-02-22 at 10:12 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Teutonic Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Funny is optional. If you want to make a comic just telling a story then I'm pretty sure that's fine.

    But a little humor once in a while doesn't hurt.
    Of course. Witty dialogue and comical characters are needed, but I just wanted to make sure that they don't have to be like OotS dropping references and disintegrating the 4th wall every few panels.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    Of course. Witty dialogue and comical characters are needed, but I just wanted to make sure that they don't have to be like OotS dropping references and disintegrating the 4th wall every few panels.
    Mine began semi-funny, but if you read on it definitely isn't the point of the comic. It also doesn't break the fourth wall when it makes jokes

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    DAMN! I'm missing Q's comic reviews! There is so many new comics! I would like to know where to start!
    It's BACK!

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalfTangible's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hodra
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosH View Post
    DAMN! I'm missing Q's comic reviews! There is so many new comics! I would like to know where to start!
    I like the one in your sig =(

    EDIT: The big sig. one that isn't in a spoiler
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-09-30 at 05:08 PM.
    2048 Record: 15,936

    I have a tumblr blog! And a wordpress! Updated 7/15: Let's Play Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos. Part 7: YAY! GENOCIDE!

    "Nobody ever did the impossible by dreaming short of it." -Unknown

    Let's play Warcraft 3

    Extended Sig

    Blue Berry, Dark Angel Space Mareine by Emperor Ing
    Gioco hex code: #3366ff

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    I am very tempted to create some sort of comic guide, talking about things that are overused and giving ideas on how to spice it up a bit. I figure I'd have to make comics for it though, but it could be fun talking about overused and underused things and some tips and such of writing comics... it'd probably descend into ranty territory if I wasn't careful, but it'd be fun just to try and be helpful and talk about genres and suchwhat.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zexion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    I am very tempted to create some sort of comic guide, talking about things that are overused and giving ideas on how to spice it up a bit. I figure I'd have to make comics for it though, but it could be fun talking about overused and underused things and some tips and such of writing comics... it'd probably descend into ranty territory if I wasn't careful, but it'd be fun just to try and be helpful and talk about genres and suchwhat.
    That sounds like a good idea. Use tvtropes as a reference.
    Avatar by CrimsonAngel.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    That sounds like a good idea. Use tvtropes as a reference.
    I like TvTropes, but my answer to using it as a reference for anything is: No.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    I like TvTropes, but my answer to using it as a reference for anything is: No.
    Inspiration maybe, but not as a Reference.
    You might want to include select pieces of advice from other fancomicers.

    Here's my piece of advice: never assume people will read anything but the actual archives. Character profiles and supplementry writing is a great way to flesh out a story, but it should always be able to stand up on the comics alone.
    If people need to read anything but the comics to follow the story, you're doing something wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bayar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    I am very tempted to create some sort of comic guide, talking about things that are overused and giving ideas on how to spice it up a bit. I figure I'd have to make comics for it though, but it could be fun talking about overused and underused things and some tips and such of writing comics... it'd probably descend into ranty territory if I wasn't careful, but it'd be fun just to try and be helpful and talk about genres and suchwhat.
    Would you mind if I occasionally post some of my own pointers and rants in your thread ? The fact is I wanted to do this for a while now...but got lazy

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Would you mind if I occasionally post some of my own pointers and rants in your thread ? The fact is I wanted to do this for a while now...but got lazy
    I am, at the moment, trying to figure out if it goes in Fan Comics or Arts and Crafts, due to not actually containing any comics.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ninjaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Hey guys i was thinking of making a sci-fy roleplay comic, where i would have a couple of members each controling a character, and then make a comic to represent it oncein a while. What do you think oof that idea?
    My homebrewed rulesystem about city fighting warbands
    Portfolio
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

    What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

    Extended signature

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ImmortalLiam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    So, I have two friends. One is an art major, and has been having a comic drawing craze as of late. The other is a computer major, but he has a vow of silence type deal (its kinda complicated) so he cant get on a forum and ask this himself, thus they designated me. First, my art friend wants to make a website to showcase his comics. He intends to start doing them on a regular basis, then adding them online. Not like a story, but more like VG cats or penny arcade. The whole random adventure of the week. They will be based on our everyday life, and the craziness that happens. Now, we have our computer friend to help us get it going, but I will be the voice of the site we make (his vow prevents him from typing as well). So, he wants to copy right his work, and we need a good free site, at least to get started on it. If it gets popular, or we get a loyal fan base, we will pay for a better site. So, any suggestions about this plan of ours? Sorry the post was so long
    *Hears an omnipotent voice* "Today class turn to page 59 of your Space Wolf Codex....." Hmmm... Must be Cheesegear
    Avatar by Ninja Chocobo

    4e
    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalLiam View Post
    So, I have two friends. One is an art major, and has been having a comic drawing craze as of late. The other is a computer major, but he has a vow of silence type deal (its kinda complicated) so he cant get on a forum and ask this himself, thus they designated me. First, my art friend wants to make a website to showcase his comics. He intends to start doing them on a regular basis, then adding them online. Not like a story, but more like VG cats or penny arcade. The whole random adventure of the week. They will be based on our everyday life, and the craziness that happens. Now, we have our computer friend to help us get it going, but I will be the voice of the site we make (his vow prevents him from typing as well). So, he wants to copy right his work, and we need a good free site, at least to get started on it. If it gets popular, or we get a loyal fan base, we will pay for a better site. So, any suggestions about this plan of ours? Sorry the post was so long
    This was asked a long time ago, so I'm sure you've found your answer. But if not, I'd advise starting up a website. It doesn't take much money to register a domain name, only like $15 a year, and you wouldn't need much bandwidth unless you got popular.
    Tell your tech-savvy friend to google wordpress (a blog template for your website), and then comicpress (which edits the wordpress template to make it a webcomic website).

    If you'd like to get some practice in before you make your website (to make sure you can stick to an update schedule before you commit), just use deviantart, tumblr or a free online blog service. I wouldn't advise using an online webcomic hosting service, as some have sticky agreement terms that mean they can sell your art in return for hosting you. Google online hosting sites for testimonials before you use them.


    edit: Also, tell your artist friend to be very careful if he's including himself and his friends in the comic. Often these comics become cliché (friends and their talking cat sitting on a couch playing computer games, with one female character who's snarky and cool!), or become full of in-jokes that aren't funny to anybody but the author and his friends.
    It might be a good idea to brainstorm some original characters, and an original setting. What haven't you seen done before? Maybe your characters are firemen/women sat around the break room, waiting for the siren to ring and having a laugh in the meantime? You can then incorporate real-life experiences into your new characters.
    Last edited by Oppolo; 2011-08-27 at 02:48 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    I have a new idea for a comic...

    Bio-Exalted
    What if Bioware made an Exalted videogame? What if they had all the money in the world and all the best technology to go with it to simulate Exalted's awesome? It would probably turn out something like this:
    Age of Sorrows:
    Return of the Solars

    You are a Solar Exalted. You are the reincarnation of one of the former god-kings of Creation, and you have returned to retake your rightful place from its usurpers- but you must gather followers, for what is a king without his subjects?
    featuring companions such as:
    A Dragon-Blooded who is bad at working in a team
    A Lunar who hates shapeshifting
    An Abyssal who believes he is irredeemable
    A Yozi-loyalist, anti-reclamation Infernal
    Another Solar, who doubts he can do anything to change the world
    another Lunar, who is completely obsessed with her Solar mate- you.
    A sociopathic but hilarious Alchemical
    a coldly logical Fair Folk.
    Weirdest. Sidereal. Ronin. Ever.

    The entire thing would be an affectionate parody of bioware's games. except since its Exalted, it would also be awesome.
    Monkey Playwright of the Improbability Drive Fan Club, Regardless, orcs should be people.

    Raziere Watches: One Piece Curse of the Thriller Bark Part 5, UP!



  30. - Top - End - #60
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Fan Comic General Discussion

    So I attempted to post a fan comic a week ago, but no moderator ever passed it through. Does it usually take this long, or was my comic rejected?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •