New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Chronicles of Jakwin: Child of The Dragon (Suspended)

Although seperated from the nearest settlement by a walk of several days through thick forest, Riverton is a very active, if small community.

Its position on the Iwer River makes it a valued trading port on the shipping lane that runs from the Northern Mountains to the Southern Sea. Every day exotic items from faraway lands passed through the city, and yet, despite being the third largest city in Iwerpos, it managed to avoid becoming too cosmopolitan.

In Barkley's Tavern, the travelers passing along the river mingled with the townsfolk, who got from them news of outside world, whether it be the increasing amount of outlaws in Norine, which was between the Northern Mountains and Iwerpos (some said they destroyed a whole village), or the latest political battle between the King of Avenlo and the Council of Nobles, (foreign affairs, at least for now; Avenlo may yet take control of Iwerpos again in the future, as it had in the past) or just a brand new method of forging horseshoes that had become popular (guaranteed to take half as long to make, or so they claimed), the talk there was often lively and animated.

Through the city's western gate, travelers rarely came. Although there was a road, it was, as previously mentioned, several days walk to the next settlement, and most people preferred to come by river.

Which was why, when the young woman walked through the gate, there was no guard to stop her or ask her to state her business. She just walked in, saw Barkley's Tavern, and entered.

And that was where the trouble started.

Spoiler
    Show

Population: 450 (Village)
    GP Limit: 200
    Alignment: NG
    Notable Locales
    The Docks
    Town Hall
    The Blacksmith (weapons, armor, and other metal goods)
    The Mages' Guildhall
    Barkley's Tavern
    Riverton Church of Dycatar
    The Western Gate
    Riverton Town Square

(OOC: Just a bit of flavor text and info about our starting location. The text also includes some common knowledge about the world; big things that are brewing that your characters would know about.)
    Last edited by Deckmaster; 2009-02-13 at 11:09 AM.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Chronicles of Jakwin: Child of The Dragon

Mug Steelcross

Sitting at a low table in Barkley's Tavern is a rather impressively large dwarf. Even at 4ft 5in it is apparent that his 230lbs sits very wide on his frame for his race stereotype. On the table are 4 flagons of honey-mead of which 3 of them are empty and a large platter of bread and honey-butter. Wild, black hair tops his large head and a full beard with moustache accompanies the facial features. He is taking in the area around him with a calm look and constantly adjusting his heavy cloth tabard displaying the symbol of Thor on both sides.

Ach…. When be tha bard commin fer tha stories bartender?” He says and then lets out a large beltch. He looks around in embarrassment..”E’cuse me lads
    Member/founder of Psycho Squad Gaming Club
    Altering reality on a regular basis since 1980, ya i'm old

Thanks to Assassin 89 for the Ventrue avatar!

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kipling

Sitting at a table in Barkley's Tavern along in the corner is a man who appears no more than a peasant. He wears a outfit of rough green cloth and blue sashes. He slowly sips his drink and picks at a plate of bread. At 5 1/2 feet he appears average height and his thin muscular body is that of a warrior

"Stay thy questions Master Dwarf the bartender knows not when the story-teller will arrive and asking him isn't going to make him get here any sooner."

He looks around and sees if anyone seems to be taking an interest in their conversation.
    HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO TYPE LIKE THIS?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Doruk

Doruk had always been somewhat of a stranger, With his Odd Skin tone and impressive skin tone. But people trusted him well enough, despite him coming from "Up North". He had managed to score a job moving barrels for Barkly.

Doruk put down the Crate he had been lifting over his shoulder, and walked slowly towards the Rude Dwarf. Standing at an Impressive 6"11, and His body rippling his muscle. Setting off this bizarre appearence is the Presence of Loog lengths of Braided Black Hair and a slightly blueish skin tone. The Bard will be here soon. Patience, and a little more quiet, would be apprieceted.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kilen

To anyone looking at eye level, you wouldn't notice as Kilen enters the tavern. At 3' 3" he is short, even among his gnomish kin. Leaning on his staff, his eyes fall fondly on the bar. "My good man, a glass of wine if you will. I find my travels have made me quite parched. Perhaps a bit of cheese as well." A bit of chittering emerges from the gnome's pack as a weasel pokes it's head out. "Oh! You are hungry as well. A bit of meat for Aurelius here as well please."

Despite his slight frame the gnome has no trouble making himself heard by the barkeep. He claims one of the "little people" stools that he finds embarrassing yet necessary to life among the "big folk". As his wine and cheese arrive, he notices the rather large, blue skinned man approach a rather loud dwarf.

Well this could certainly turn intersting.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2009-02-05 at 10:04 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

6. - Top - End - #6

Mug Steelcross

Mug grabs his flagon and plate of food. Scoffing at the large blue thing and tromping over to the corner.

"Aye lad, ye be right there. Bin a bit o' borin out 'er waitin fer tha storm o' brewin ta arrive." He motions to a seat. "Could ye use a bit o' company ta talk to?"

If he is granted to sit. "Tank ya, I am Mug from clan Steelcross, member in service ta Thor." He offers some of his bread like he's been knowing the man for years.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

The girl entered the tavern. She looked like a teenager. Her hair was blond and her eyes blue, and she was wearing a long black leather coat. On her side was a longsword and strapped to her back, over her backpack, was a wooden shield. She was wearing pauldrons, bracers, and greaves and when she walked, the sound of more armor underneath her coat was plainly audible. She didn't look in the least bit interested in anything that was going on in the tavern or anyone in it.

She sat at the bar and looked at the bartender.

Give me some ale.

"You look a little young for that, miss," said the bartender.

Oh, sorry. I meant give me ale NOW. She didn't yell but the implied threat in her voice was obvious. The bartender poured her some ale without another word.

Some people can be so uncivilized, she remarked. Suddenly a group of men entered the bar, wearing matching red coats. The girl raised up the hood on her coat and began drinking.

My name is Loki of the House of Torwin, announced the group's leader, a dark haired man with icy blue eyes. First Lieutenant of the Royal Guard of Avenlo. I know that as citizens of Iwerpos, you don't have to do a thing I ask of you, but me and my men require some assistance on what may prove to be a lucrative venture. Are there any volunteers?

The tavern was buzzing with noise as people began debating with their friends over whether they should join the man or not.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kipling

I would enjoy company such as yours Master Dwarf, although i'm not hungry at the moment. I am Kipling, one of the few Monks of the Temple of Jade.

Then as an afterthought thinking that the dwarf should make peace with the blue creature he says while pointing to the Blue man

You should apologize with yon man over there, for he if you live your life like that, you would make more enemies than friends and it would be a short life.

Gesturing to the Orc to join him at his table.

after the lady arrives and then the red-clothed men he tells his newly found friend(s) that he will ask the man what needs to be done.

What do yeh need doing, Loki?

Knowing there is power in names he wonders of the power behind Loki's.
    Last edited by josh13905; 2009-02-06 at 04:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Loki sized up the man who was addressing him and smiled.

We are tracking down a traitor. We believe this traitor to be on Hewe Island. Me and my men may be enough to capture this traitor...but then again, maybe not. That's why I decided to hire some assistance. You'll be well paid, of course. How about it?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Doruk Shrugs at the Monk, and walks over to Loki. "Paid Well" Can mean a lot of things. Prove to me that I will be rewarded justly, and I will come asisst you.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kipling

If you have need of assistance in the art of combat i'm your man, I don't know of any Hewe island though any new information would be much appreciated.

With that he hefts his backpack and walks over to Loki and attempts to shake his hand.
    Last edited by josh13905; 2009-02-06 at 05:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Mug Steelcross

Mug accepts Kipling's comment. "I treats people likes I get treated. I own no apology ta fellows who scorns me fer nothing that was involving him." He mutters to himself.

"A merc's purse fer the man eh. Sounds intrestin." He will also go over to Loki's area.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Several people seemed interested in Loki's proposition. He looked over at the Orc and the monk.

Of course, you will be paid well. After all, this is an errand of great import for the King of Avenlo. Hewe Island is in the Southern Sea, about halfway between the coast and the deserts of Ophir. I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it; it's very small. Now, we set sail tomorrow on Dock number 3, a keelboat called the "Beautiful Dreamer." I hope to see you then.

He bowed politely, and then spoke to the bartender about lodging for his men. The bartender replied that there were rooms for rent on the second floor.

The girl at the bar ordered another ale.

(OOC: Now, what do you with the rest of the day? I'ts about 5 hours until sunset.)

14. - Top - End - #14

Kipling
    Kipling researches about the house of Torwin at the Mages' Guild Hall if they accept him in.

He then asks around for more information on said House

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Kipling:

The Mage's Guild is the largest and most powerful guild in Jakwin, claiming (although this claim is hard to back up) that they have a hall in every city, town and village in the subcontinent (and a few outside it). They offer several services only to casters that are registered members, but anyone is allowed access to their non-magical library.

You find two books dealing mostly with the House of Torwin. One is a dry and boring geneology that tells you little of use. The other is a far more dramatic recounting of the lives of some of the more famous members of the house.

From these, you learn that the House started 500 years ago, when Norine, a country to the north of both Avenlo and Iwerpos, was under Avenlo's control. A great warrior in Norine named Torwin helped repel a goblin invasion and was knighted. His descendents became known for their fierce loyalty to the King of Avenlo, for good or for ill. The current Lord Torwin (that is, leader of the House of Torwin), who got his position after the old one was murdered five years ago, lives in the city of Avenlo near the king and is Captain of the Royal Guard, an organization that was only formed fifteen years ago. It mentions his clashes over jurisdiction with the Captain of the Avenlo Guard, a much older organization that the Royal Guard is modeled after (the key difference being that the Avenlo Guard answers to the Avenlo Council of Nobles and the Royal Guard answers to the King.) Loki himself is mentioned briefly as being Lord Torwin's likely successor.

By the time you've read enough to learn all this, it's nighttime.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Doruk

Doruk snorts, but says If it is for the King.
    He Spends the rest of the day working at the TAvern, Hopefully earning a few tips.

17. - Top - End - #17

Mug

Mug bids Kipling goodbye and spend the day at the local church doing his bit for religion and eating a long lunch and dinner.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

It's now dark.

Where are you?

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm sleeping At barkleys tavern

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Doruk is talking to Barkley about handing in his resignation, and about to go to sleep in one of the Tavern Rooms.

21. - Top - End - #21

Mug

At the tavern as well. Staying the night there, mostly in the common area eating/drinking and enjoying the local enterainment.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Kipling. Mug: Seeing as you had to walk outside to get from the Mage's Guildhall and the Church, roll a spot check before you enter the tavern.

Doruk: You are about to go to bed when you see the girl who's been sitting at the bar all day get up and leave. Do you follow or just forget it and go to bed?

23. - Top - End - #23

Mug

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check (1d20+3)[15]

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Doruk Follows her, Curious.

25. - Top - End - #25

[roll0]

Fingers Crossed

26. - Top - End - #26

Kipling

Spot (1d20+2)[11]

OOC: I don't know what happened on my roll below.... I had to wait 60 seconds and it seemed to come out weird if it is normal for you skip this roll

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Doruk: She's heading toward the docks. Keep following?

Mug, Kipling: You see two people leaving the Tavern. Mug, since you are a Dwarf and have darkvision, you recognize them as the Orc you were speaking to earlier and the girl who was sitting at the bar drinking ale. Kipling, since you are human and don't have darkvision, you have no clue who they are. You both also see each other and are close enough to recognize each other. What do you do?

OOC: The forum's been pretty glitchy lately, even with the thread purge. Did it mess up right when you were posting? That might have done it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Mug

Mug walks over to Kipling and gives him a nudge on his leg. "Hay there m'boy, I think dat be tha orc and tha lass that made all tha demandin in tha tavern. Think somtin might be up?" he whispers to him.

Current characters
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Kilen

After conversing breifly with his weasel, Kilen accepts Loki's offer. He spends the evening in the tavern and takes no interest when the lady leaves the bar. He waits till morning, perpares his spells, then heads to the docks with his belongings. He locates the Dock 3. If he has time he begins talking to the locals trying to learn whatever he can about Hewe Island, the passage to it, the expected weather, and any known dangers of the sea.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC:
    Since I was so long between posts I am trying to not force the DM to reconsider his previous posts actions. BTW thank you for the Dancing Lights ruling.

Gather Information - (1d20)[4]

NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Doruk creeps after the Teenager, smelling a Rat. More of a fish. They are at a dock. Doruk hides himself behind a crate and peers at the teenager.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Low Light vision Apply? And do I need to make Move Slently and Hide checks? Cause I didn't thin kto invest in those skills, as a Barbarian...