New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Like Ultimate Magus, but Divine (Suggestions Wanted / PEACH) [PrC]

Class under development, suggestions wanted along the vein of improving and show synergy between both prepared and spontaneous divine casting in a single class. Please help! -X

---
    Divine Hierophant

Priest Vaughn Hobb, divine hierophant of Odin

Vessels of holy power, the divine hierophant sees divine magic through both the eyes of a prepared caster, as well as a spontaneous caster. By learning to master both types of divine magic, he learns ways to blend their power to assist in casting more potent magic, as well as learning new ways to channel the power he was given by his divine patron.

Hit Die: d6

Requirements:
    Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks
    Feats: Any metamagic feat
    Spells: Ability to cast 2nd level prepared divine spells, ability to cast 1st level spontaneous divine spells.

Divine Hierophant
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|b]Will Save[/b]|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Turn undead / animal companion, divine spell power +1|+1 to existing lower level existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Expanded spell knowledge (1st or lower)|+1 level of existing prepared divine spellcasting class / +1 level of existing spontaneous divine spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Domain Spontaneity (1st)|+1 level of existing prepared divine spellcasting class / +1 level of existing spontaneous divine spellcasting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Divine spell power +2, expanded spell knowledge (2nd or lower)|+1 to existing lower level existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Domain|+1 level of existing prepared divine spellcasting class / +1 level of existing spontaneous divine spellcasting class

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Expanded spell knowledge (3rd or lower)|+1 level of existing prepared divine spellcasting class / +1 level of existing spontaneous divine spellcasting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Divine spell power +3|+1 to existing lower level existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Expanded spell knowledge (4th or lower)|+1 level of existing prepared divine spellcasting class / +1 level of existing spontaneous divine spellcasting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Domain Spontaneity (2nd)|+1 level of existing prepared divine spellcasting class / +1 level of existing spontaneous divine spellcasting class

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Divine spell power +4, expanded spell knowledge (5th level)|+1 level of existing prepared divine spellcasting class / +1 level of existing spontaneous divine spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Spellcraft.

Class Features:

Spellcasting: At each level except 1st, 4th, and 7th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in both a prepared divine casting class and a spontaneous divine casting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained. At 1st, 4th, and 7th level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in your divine spellcasting class with the lowest caster level. For example, a 4th-level cleric/1st-level favored soul who gained one level of divine hierophant would gain increased spellcasting ability as if he had gained a level of favored soul (since that class's caster level is lower than his cleric caster level). If all your divine spellcasting classes have equal caster levels, you can apply this benefit to any of your existing divine spellcasting classes. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.

Turn Undead: A divine hierophant adds his levels in this class to his cleric levels for all purposes related to turning undead. If the divine hierophant did not possess the ability to turn undead previously, he does not gain it from this class feature.

Animal Companion: A divine hierophant adds his levels in this class to his druid or ranger levels for all purposes related to his animal companion. If the character does not possess an animal companion, he does not gain one from this class feature.

Divine Spell Power (Ex): At 1st level, your caster level for all divine spells increases by 1. It increases again at 4th level, 7th level, and 10th level (to a maximum of +4).

Expanded Spell Knowledge (Ex): At 2nd level, you can select one 0- or 1st-level divine spell from your domain spell lists and add it to the list of divine spells known for a spontaneous casting class, even if you can't yet spontaneously cast spells of that level. (In this case, you would know the spell but wouldn't be able to cast it until you had spell slots of the appropriate level.) You can add another spell from your domain spell lists to your list of spells known every two levels thereafter. At 4th level, this can be a 0-, 1st-, or 2nd-level spell. At 6th level, this can be any spell of 3rd level or lower. At 8th level, this spell can be of 4th level or lower, and at 10th level it can be of 5th level or lower.

Domain Spontaneity (Ex): The divine hierophant gains the ability to spontaneously cast spells from one of his domains, just as he would spontaneously cast cure or inflict spells. This domain must be chosen at 3rd level. The character may spontaneously cast from a second domain of his choosing at 9th level.

Bonus Domain: The character may select a bonus domain from one of his deity's available domains. He gains the granted power of this domain, as well as the ability to cast spells from that domain as if it were one of his original domain choices.
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-02-07 at 12:37 AM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Like Ultimate Magus, but Divine (Suggestions Wanted / PEACH) [PrC]

Okay, class is in some semblance of being done. PEACH please? :)

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Like Ultimate Magus, but Divine (Suggestions Wanted / PEACH) [PrC]

This looks like a cheap knockoff of the Magus with Turn Undead added on. You've even got the metamagic thing in there. You need to make this seem more divine. As it stands, I don't see much originality here.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why I am asking for suggestions to make this more unique, if you read the title of the post. Do you have any suggestions for ways to make this special and different instead of simply telling me it's unoriginal?

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-02-06 at 02:34 AM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, considering you're channeling your innate affinity for your god's views into your own personal love for and relationship with that same deity, it seems like you could harvest one of several benefits based on your alignment. That is the core difference between arcane and divine after all: one's a universal element to be manipulated and the other's a gift from a being far more powerful, wise and righteous/primal/malevolent/tyrannical than anything else in creation. Currying favors from those beings seems right up this class' alley.

Okay, enough fluff. Mechanics time. I suggest planar blasting. You're evil? Great. Evil blasting. Twist the sanity of the righteous. Good? Heal bombs coming up. Lawful? Chaotic? Let's get some flat bonuses/wild magic debuffs out there.

Still too vague/not cool enough? How about some deity-specific boons? Look into the Complete Divine's relics and deity entries for ideas about what each god would likely grant a follower who devotes himself twice over. Some suggestions here would be gaining evocation spells/warrior bonuses for Kord/Hextor, Light powers for Heironius/Pelor, powers over plants and animals from Obad Hai, etc.
    Homebrew Directory
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could have the class center around worshipping 2 different gods. For example, if you worshipped Pelor since you were a child due to your parents, but ended up being a favored soul of Kord, you could join this class and have one of them be your "lesser" god and one of them be your "greater" god. The god's alignments couldn't be more than 2 steps away. The class would focus around improving domains probably, rather than metamagic and recasting. Bringing the two gods' domains together somehow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Take away the Metamagic cheese (too much of it going around any how, and you don't want to be responsible for making some the as crazy as burning turn attempts instead of spell levels for metamagic) and probably the spell regain to. Give them back their 3/4 bab that both component classes have. Keep turn attempt growth and maybe count the existing favored soul lvls for turning as well. If the character does not have Turn undead but has an animal companion, add this class to that ablility instead. Then add to the domain spell thing. Then I think that you will have it.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    Okay, enough fluff. Mechanics time. I suggest planar blasting. You're evil? Great. Evil blasting. Twist the sanity of the righteous. Good? Heal bombs coming up. Lawful? Chaotic? Let's get some flat bonuses/wild magic debuffs out there.
    I guess I don't understand what you mean by 'planar blasting'? Are we talking something like an eldritch blast that effects/damages based on alignment differences?

@flyingpoo22:
    I'm not too keen on the multiple gods thing, but I am interested in what you may have to say in regards to improving domains. Like, improved domain abilities, or perhaps bonus domains?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber
    Then add to the domain spell thing.
    I presume you mean the Expanded Spell Knowledge class feature?

I increased BAB to 3/4, removed Augmented Casting, the Bonus Feat, and Divine Recasting, are we all in favor of this? If yes, this class definitely needs something else to do to show synergy between both divine classes. Something minor to moderate in power. I really liked the augment casting stuff because it did show synergy. I'm really looking for something that show that. Ideas?

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-02-06 at 10:32 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

9. - Top - End - #9

The idea was to channel more than just positive or negative planar energies (Turn/Rebuke Undead or Cure/Harm spontaneous casting ala clerics.) Now you can more effectively channel pos/neg energies (make up your own mechanics for it, but I think area-of-effect cure/Harms might work) OR you could channel Chaos/Law (once again, make up your own mechanics.)

You could make domains spontaneously castable/grant more domains.

For more ideas, just take the core differences in the wizards'-vs-clerics' spell lists and run with them. Focus on rezzes, healing, buffs, deific vengeance and alignment for your abilities.
    Homebrew Directory

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Added in a bonus domain at 5th level, and I added the Domain Spontaneity class feature.

How does that look?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits: