New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default The Eternal Star Crystals

Out of the void lie the new worlds. To the inhabitants history may have already started. Maybe even a few thousand years have passed. But beings mistaken for gods have awoken on these worlds. The very Immortal Crystals themselves. Also known as Star gods.

To each Star god they have their own plan for their world, and later perhaps the universe.

Turn 1: Start

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Eternal Star Crystals

Yirtirdarahan

Awake at last... Or have I slept at all? The hunger...

The Shadow crystal began to throb with what could be best considered as an un-light as the nascent immortal quickly (for its time frame) sized up its unwitting creations. Eclipse... yes, this would do nicely. The anti-sun of Event Horizon stood out as an umbral blot of blackness in the lightless sky. No stars shone in the heavens above Eclipse save one: the Shadow Star. Blazing with a darkness only visible to true creatures of the night, the star was, as of yet, a faint glimmer of shadow against the lightless sky. It would be the duty of the Groo to see that flickering darkness grow into a blindingly dark gleam.

Already his favored creations, the Groo, had established their dominion over this blasted world of eternal darkness, but there was no order. If they were ever to fulfill their destinies as the shadow god's servants, they would have to be organized so that Yirtirdarahan could better influence them.

Silently, the incorporeal manifestation of Yirtirdarahan's power glided over the landscape of Eclipse: shadow upon shadow, black upon black, until he had found the strongest, the fiercest, the most cunning, the most intelligent, and the largest member of the Groo -- a true paragon: Kardash Grimclaw.

"Kardash Grimclaw. You know who I am, and you know my purpose in coming to you. Rise up; unite the tribes under your banner, and forge order out of chaos. I will be your patron and your power."

Yirtirdarahan allowed a sliver of his power to leave his crystal, and over the next century, his Chosen One, Kardash Grimclaw, organized the Groo under one banner, creating the kingdom of Zork, a great underground empire.

The mighty nation would need a grand capitol. As he saw his creations unify, grow strong, and multiply, he forged for them a subterranean city of epic proportions: Frobozz. Grand avenues and towering spires filled the city, and the Groo began to grow in power.

In the center of Frobozz, Yirtirdarahan constructed the Shadow Spire, a tower of dark blood magics that would ultimately lead to a tradition of warlocks among the most talented of the Groo.

Massive statues and temples to Yirtirdarahan were erected, and the Groo came to know their creator intimately over the ensuing timespan, and they learned of their imperative to feed Yirtirdarahan with light.

...and all was good.

Spoiler
    Show
    First round of actions:
    Star Action: Create kingdom of Zork
    Lesser Star Action: Create Frobozz
    Lesser Star Action: Create Shadow Spire, introducing Shadow Magic to the Groo
    Influence Action: Strengthening belief of Groo in Yirtirdarahan through construction of temples and statues

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maulg

Maulg didn't care what it was, where it came from, or what he was supposed to do with the planet before him. All he knew was that it was his. The world Arguan was wet and the amphibious merfolk were already dominant, but they were savage, disorganized, split up among many separate tribes.

Seeking out the strongest mind among those on the island, he made his choice, an otherwise unremarkable Merfolk.

This world is worthless, your people are unimaginative and unambitious. You will never achieve greatness and unity as a race as long as you continue as you do now. But, Instead of giving up all hope on your kind, I will assist you in bringing about a new age, an age of wonder and achievment. I will help you turn this world into a utopia where everyone is happy.

As this merfolk went about the lands, Maulg lurked in the background, whispering suggestions into the ears of many tribe leaders and powerful empaths. Those who did not join the new world order were crushed or dominated. The race had been unified, the mighty Merfolk leader had set himself up as Overseer, and the fish-folk were finally able to advance as a race. Uncreative brutes they were, they dubbed this new nation "Baygnor"

After this was done, Maulg helped in the creation of a vast city, the City of Brass, which was built on the massive rock platforms resting just underneath a waist-hight layer of water. As it's name implied, the buildings were huge smoothly sloping monstrosities of polished brass and steel. This was the first time in Merfolk history that anything of this scale was built, and the Overseer never let the others forget it.

Three more large cities were built surrounding the City of Brass. While not quite as grand, they were still quite a sight to behold. These three lesser cities were called Yagdin, Bogryn and Hyujin

In the center of the City of Brass, the Overseer had a grand tower built, the Brass Citidell, which would serve as a holy place and a palace for the great merfolk.

Maulg settled down. For now, he would wait and rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Star Act to create a grand nation of the Merfolk, Baygnor.
    1 lesser star act to create the City of Brass
    1 lesser star act to create the Brass Citidell, a holy place
    3 influence acts to create the three large sattelite cities, Yagdin, Bogryn and Hyujin

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Oneiroi

The Dream Eater looked down on the Veiled Planet. It was a mysterious world. It seemed like the Oneiroi's influence had helped shape it, even if he had been "dormant" for billions of years. Indeed, the border between the waking world and the plane of dreams was incredibly thin in that region of space. The planet had gotten this name from the many veils that covered its surface, a result of matter from the dreamscape pouring into this reality.

Interested in finding more about this world and its inhabitants, the Dream Eater decided to go down there and explore it himself. There, his incorporeal being encountered the Karackt race. They were without doubt the more advanced species on the planet. Those amphibious creatures lived in small communities led by a caste of sorcerors. They didn't seem like a really appealing people at first, but the Oneiroi soon learned of the Karackt's dark history, which made them so much more interesting to him.

As the Immortal surveyed the cold swamps, he discovered a being like none other: the Dreamwraith. He was a legendary figure. The Karackt sages disagreed on his origins. Was he a warlock gone mad after catching a glimpse of the Heart of the Dreamscape or a creature entirely artificial, given life by the collective consciousness of the race? Whatever he was, the Dreamwraith was a perfect tool for the Dream Eater. He approached him and told him to spread his teachings among the bog people. This newfound knowledge would allow the Karackts to build a new civilization and to master their magical powers. The Wraith accepted and called for a meeting of the regional chiefs. That day, several males and females put their lives on the line and crossed the veils to receive the word of the new god. Following the revelation of He Who Hungers, the Karackts of the Veiled Planet formed five clans, each one following a different prophet (the prophets being all chieftains or regional leaders that received the Word from the Dreamwraith) and being associated with a specific veil. Those clans were the Domek of the Crimson Sky, the Kaath of the Azure Tundra, the Lankar of the Emerald Glade, the Volq of the Orange Canopy and the Kesk of the Darkened Waters.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Star act spent on Karackt civilization. They may not be united in one large empire or state, although each clan is relatively powerful, but the clans follow a similar structure and are willing to collaborate with each other.
    5 influence acts, one for each population center
    More later
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-02-06 at 03:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A cold wind blows small flakes of snow into the air, as the currents flow over the pure, white mountain-tops. Fields of white snow and grey rock are randomly interrupted by small patches of green moss. And on one such field is a tall, statuesque Starlet walks around. A pouch woven of grass reed leafs hangs over his shoulder, and various plants poke out from it. Suddenly, the eyes of the Starlet lock on a small herb, clinging to the bare rock ground with feeble roots. With gentle hands, the Starlet harvests the herb and stores it in his pouch. His deep, black eyes scan the contents of his bag, and with a satisfied nod he turns his gaze on the valley below. A slight grin creeps over his face as he takes a step forward, and then another. In mere seconds the steps have brought him into a running gait. A peal of childish laughter escapes his lips as he leaps from rock to rock, rapidly approaching the edge of the Starwhisper forests, that seperate the Pearl Peaks from his own home-town. The moment he steps into the forest, a Windmuse pounces on him from the trees. She snatches the pouch from his shoulder, before she jumps back into the trees. Her giggles echo through the woods as the Starlet chase after the playful little thief. The chase continues throughough the entire forest. Sometimes the creature stops to dangle the goods just out of reach, before she resumes the chasing game. Finally, the Starlet has chased his collection of herbs through the entire forest. Having nowhere else to run, the Windmuse throws the plants as far as she can. From the forest edge, the Starlet gasps as the pouch falls towards a wide river. He closes his eyes and await the splash. But it never comes. Instead, he opens his eyes and finds the pouch somehow balancing on the water surface. With curiosity as their motive, both the Starlet and the Windmuse creep close to the water edge. There, they stare as the pouch glide over the water until... suddenly a Riverbeast leaps out of the water and knocks over both Windmuse and Starlet. The Riverbeast holds the pouch in his mouth, while his paws hold his prey pinned to the ground. He grins, leans down towards the Starlet. He opens his mouth... and lets the pouch fall down on the Starlet's face. He then turns to the Windmuse and starts to tickle her wildly, causing the rodent to twitch wildly. The Starlet chuckles, and watches the two animals play together, when his ears pick up the sound of his name being yelled. He sighs and smiles to the two animals. "See you guys tomorrow."

An older Starlet stands by a small cottage, and heaves a sigh of relief as her son comes running over the hills. "Paluna. Where have you been. Have you been playing in the hills again?" The mother ushers her son into the house. "I swear. Sometimes I wonder if you'll ever amount to anything."

A bemused chuckle echoes across the aether. Astrum has seen enough. The child Paluna will amount to something, for he.

He is perfect.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lohr

Lohr stirred slowly. Eventually he shook himself and looked about. This world would do, the one the dominant species called Agren. Harsh. Brutal. Yes, Agren would work very well. The dominant species, while rulers of the world, were still rather primitive. Broken up into small clans scattered about the planet, they were slowly dying off.

And so Lohr found a giant amongst one of the larger clans, a smart individual that was attempting to better his people's lot. Lohr appeared to him in a dream, telling this Kroontje about himself and his plans for the Versoulis. Kroontje awoke with a new fire burning in his heart: he now had a god helping him accomplish his life's work.

The other clans, as disenchanted with their lives as Kroontje was, easily accepted his rule after hearing about Lohr and his promises. Kroontje promised them all that a magnificent city would be built for them by Lohr, to be lived in by all that worshiped him. And so many of the clans abandoned their meager holdings and traveled deep into the central desert, where before no one dared go. Kroontje, led by Lohr, showed them hidden pockets of water under the sand so they might survive.

After a week of travel, the Versoulis saw before them a huge stone pyramid standing in a basin. In the front of the pyramid was a huge gateway, the gates standing open. Upon entering this pyramid the people found that this was but the entrance to an even bigger, underground city. Huge caverns were there, full of the small herd animals and various plants the Versoulis grew. A mighty river flowed through the middle of the city, providing enough water for all. The city was named Ts-Lohr, or City of Lohr.

The people immediately named Kroontje their king and their foundling country Lohria. Soon the people discovered temples within the city, and many of them began to hear His message, and see Him in their dreams. Word soon spread across Agren about the god that had claimed them as his own, had promised them a better life, a better world.

Spoiler
    Show

1 Star act to create Lohria
    1 Lesser Star act to create Ts-Lohr
    1 Influence to spread knowledge and belief in Lohr
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Elegant Nova

Dairy Entry 538: In-Depth Study of "Dominion" And Its Indigenous Sentient Lifeforms.

The world I have named Dominion is aesthetically pleasing, just as planned. From analysis, its mountains and crust are filled with valuable and quite possibly unique metals, including one I have termed Orichalcum that I hypothesize could withstand the extreme temperature and pressure of the planet's outer core. I'm drawing up the blueprints for a laboratory in my head at this moment.

It's as if this world was ready-built for me! The indigenous woods are filled with valuable herbs and many different types of lumber with their own virtues. The swift rivers are begging to be dammed, and the sparkling seas are a perfect place for experimenting on that leviathan I've been planning!

That's not all, though, even though this world would be a paradise alone. There are sentient beings in my own form on this planet! The probabilities of this happening via natural evolution are astronomical and could only be calculated by an intellect like mine - therefore, I believe that either I have created these Lunai - as that's what they call themselves, their language was a snap to decipher, translate and program into my mind - or that both I and the Lunai were created by a greater force. Further data is required before a final judgment.

The Lunai seem to have already achieved a tier 3 civilization without me, including advanced agriculture, stonemasonry, carpentry, civilized settlements banded together into countries - or "leagues" in their tongue - and a intricate currency used by merchants. They have developed weaponry, even creating Based on my studies, I think that these merchants are the easiest way to control the Lunai, for in their able paws are the dominion of the Lunai.

Indeed, I have chosen eight merchants to begin my rule in Dominion. Ash of House Escobar, Riva of House Cadex, Dinael of House Galiath, Evadan of House Faray, Decaten of House Torllethar, Haneth of House Ithikan, Sk'elep of House Sarikeht and Talin of House Rashiel. The last seems most intriguing to me, and I will certainly be speaking with the handsome rascal. Such a cute face, and his silky tail...

Ahem. Another reason to finish the universal lock for this. The Lunai are the only dominant species, but there are many semi-sentient species that serve them, such as the crocodilian Sarius and the swift arachnid/equine hybrids they call Athashan. The Lunai use all their resources to their greater glory. They're so very clever - another piece of data pointing to the "I created them" theory!

Anyway, manipulation of the merchant Houses progresses swiftly. If I play my cards right, nobody will ever know that I was the one who did it - it will seem a natural evolution of the system, despite the fact that a unified government spanning leagues is far outside their Tier.

Of course, when I start introducing the greatest thing in the universe, everyone will know it was me. SCIENCE is coming to Dominion, haha!

Note to self: keep working on that equation to send yourself down to Dominion. It's brilliant, and you can improve the 23% chance of survival...

Crevaine; The Guilder's Flagon

Ash sipped at his ale, resting after a long day of haggling with House Maratin. They were relentless, but the deal on Crevainian Jade should work to the profit of both houses. Jadeblades were in high demand, and House Maratin knew that only House Escobar made the finest weapons in Dominion.

The Guilder's Flagon was expensive enough and luxurious enough to be mostly restricted to the Guilders themselves, but there were some others sitting at the tables, drinking the finest ale in all Crevaine - the Lieutenant of the Crevainian Guard and a few favored guardsmen, a party of bloodied Wylders with their savage trophies, a Sitharian bard taking a rest from his harp, and a Darkthain Knight with his great Daikmore upon his back, his black cloak masking his face in shadow. Everyone sat away from him - no one liked the Darkthains, though everyone agreed that they were necessary to keep order and law. Everyone had guilty little secrets tremble in their heart when a Darkthain looked at them.

As Ash called for another round of ale, a new guest entered from the entry hall. Clad in the green and ivory of House Sarikeht, the fair coyotl scanned the room quickly before settling on Ash, making her way through the tables quickly with three Houseguards behind her. Ash grinned as she came up to him.

"Ah, could this be Sk'elep daughter of Catherin I see before me? I may die happy now that she has condescended to seek me out." Ash nodded, as she made the ritual answer. "And I may sleep now that Ash son of Elynara has deigned to see me." She gracefully took a seat opposite him, as the Houseguards spread out and ordered warm cider to stave off the cold night.

"So, what can I do for you, Sk'elep? You rarely do anything without purpose these days. The Father of Sarikeht rests uneasy whenever you awaken in the morning, I am sure." Sk'elep giggled slightly, before regaining her composure. "I wish to talk with you about certain... agreements between House Escobar and House Sarikhet." Her voice was already quiet, but she lowered it further and leaned in close to Ash. "And with the Storm Accord." Ash's eyebrow rose. "The... Storm Accord?" Sk'elep nodded. "We... band together. Dominion is fractured, but we plan to unite it. Several houses, Ash of House Escobar. Powerful Houses."

Ash nodded. "Tell me more, and I'll think about it. I can't say I've never dreamed... but some drink, and then some pleasures in bed, and I may speak to Father Corth." Sk'elep nodded warily, and Ash smirked, and plans spun like wheels in wheels.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope you remember some of those details. I'm fleshing out Lunai society bit by bit, and some of those little mentions will be important. If you remember anything, remember the Darkthain Knight, the Jadeblades and Wylders.

1 Influence to create the Storm Accord and the 130 Houses.

Just to let you know, I'm going to be spending Lesser Star Acts and Influence points as I reveal mighty cities and groups, not to create them. They already exist, but spending points on them make them official in game.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

8. - Top - End - #8

Maulg

The merfolk were an odd, even somewhat ammusing race. They never even comprehended advancements such as the wheel or sea vessels, but they accumulated plenty of knowledge on their own through experimentation and constant theft of other people's ideas.

However, these "advancements" were quite disappointing. New ways to boil eel-eggs, how to remove someone's brain and have both the brain and the body die, which toes are necessary for ballance and which can be eaten in case of starvation. Ocationally, they would come up with something useful like a new alloy or a way to stitch up injured thralls, but those were few and far between.

Maulg cast his gaze over to another planet. This planet, while quite different from his own, had people on it. Even stranger, he could sense another being not unlike himself. What was this thing? Nova, it called itself. Nova and the... whatsits? Maulg made his way over to that sector of space and decided to make himself known.

Greetings....Nova. I am called Maulg. I could not have guessed that there would have been others like myself, formless imortal beings with the power to guide these lesser creatures... These... Lunai.

I see that I am lucky in finding you. Perhaps you would be willing to take part in an experiment? I know how you love experiments and discovery. What if there is a way to link worlds, allow individuals to transverse great distances without braving the cold void for years on end.

It was strange how this thing talked, how it could discover someone's name just by looking at them, and how it could so quickly glean information from a being who hadn't said so much as a word to it.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2009-02-07 at 01:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The blue-green crystal that would call itself Yolov woke. In the sky near it lay a planet humming with life. Yolov dropped up to it and studied the creatures of the planet. There were many lesser species, but the dominant group was a extremely adaptable species that operated as many limbs of an intelligent queen. he saw that these Noark queens could alter their children by altering their own chemistry, creating specialized children for different purposes. It was the perfect medium for his goals.
    He found the center of the hive mind and went toward her. "Greetings Queen-Mother. I am Yolov, the green star and patron of your people. I was watching when you were born, and by my light your descendants have filled the world, but your destiny is greater. Here is knowledge, the knowledge to make new children; with minds but not queens. These Psi-Noark will change the world with their will and improve your ability to change your children to fit the situation, even after they are born. They may also be able to devise new shapes for new tasks. Nurture them and they will nurture your race."

Spoiler
    Show

Rather than start with any technology, my race is very well organized (hivemindy) and have some adaptations to serve as living tools.

Lesser acts:
    Create psychic magic in the Noark
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2009-02-08 at 09:37 AM.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley_ View Post
    Maulg

The merfolk were an odd, even somewhat ammusing race. They never even comprehended advancements such as the wheel or sea vessels, but they accumulated plenty of knowledge on their own through experimentation and constant theft of other people's ideas.

However, these "advancements" were quite disappointing. New ways to boil eel-eggs, how to remove someone's brain and have both the brain and the body die, which toes are necessary for balance and which can be eaten in case of starvation. Occasionally, they would come up with something useful like a new alloy or a way to stitch up injured thralls, but those were few and far between.

Maulg cast his gaze over to another planet. This planet, while quite different from his own, had people on it. Even stranger, he could sense another being not unlike himself. What was this thing? Nova, it called itself. Nova and the... whatsits? Maulg made his way over to that sector of space and decided to make himself known.

Greetings....Nova. I am called Maulg. I could not have guessed that there would have been others like myself, formless imortal beings with the power to guide these lesser creatures... These... Lunai.

I see that I am lucky in finding you. Perhaps you would be willing to take part in an experiment? I know how you love experiments and discovery. What if there is a way to link worlds, allow individuals to transverse great distances without braving the cold void for years on end.

It was strange how this thing talked, how it could discover someone's name just by looking at them, and how it could so quickly glean information from a being who hadn't said so much as a word to it.
    Elegant Nova

What? How could he know my name - and the Lunai - and my love of science? Either he had foreknowledge of Dominion and I or he is able to somehow scan thought patterns even within my perfect mind. The first is more likely, but the second must be defended against... Any of Nova's thoughts visible to Maulg became simply amazingly complex equations, continuing and looping upon themselves, cloaking the real thoughts beneath.

However, Malug could have found one thing as he looked upon Nova's mind. Her mind was insane, like a broken mirror - sharp and beautiful, but fundamentally broken...

"Maulg? An interesting name, and one that has a 0.4573131 repeating percent chance of being used again to name another entity in the next 4.6 years. I am the Elegant Nova, Spark of Science, Creator of Miracles and Mistress of Mystery!

As for creating something allowing creatures to traverse light-years... it's impossible. I've done my own calculations on the subject, and if I had a piece of paper I'd show you, but trust me when I say that there is absolutely no way any such project could ever succeed. The hyper-dimensional physics clearly show that any creature that tried it would be subject to horrendous degrees of pressure - instantly crushing it and ripping it apart simultaneously."

Nova's voice became smooth, supernaturally seductive and convincing. "Although, I would not mind working with you on some other projects. I'd require some recompense for my assistance, though that's merely a formality of course."

Spoiler
    Show
    She's lying through her teeth. She's got plans for a Stargate, very effective plans, and she doesn't want to share.

Of course, she'd cloak those thoughts and that knowledge as deeply as possible, so Maulg wouldn't be able to find them.

The Storm Must Flow

It was most certainly not a meeting. Some in the room had ridden Athashan for miles with a bare handful of trusted retinue for the express purpose of not meeting allies in the small village of Detheryn, scant miles away from grand Sturmik.
    The eight of them were most certainly not gathered together in one room for the first time, chatting amiably as they sat in a rough circle, looking at maps and cementing plots. They were all armed, however, for who knew what could happen while they were not all vulnerable in one place?
    Decaten of House Torllethar said, to empty air, "Well, the Wylders could be won over easily. They don't care what happens as long as they get their prey." Haneth of House Ithikan, who was not sitting next to him, answered, "The Wylders can't be counted on one way or the other. They're bestial, and can't be trusted."
    "Establishing Sturmik as a base of power will be difficult." Ash lounged in his chair, as Riva snorted. "Inconsequential. Houses Galiath and Rashiel own Sturmik." "No offense to the House, but we can't count on House Rashiel to hold Sturmik. House Hetherown is as influential as House Rashiel is." The heir to House Rashiel did not lean back in his chair, chuckling. "Leave House Hetherown to us, Houses Escobar and Cadex. You may count on Sturmik's might."
    Sk'elep of House Sarikeht did not nod at Talin. "The Eastern Principalities must be focused on instead. They are powerful, and only House Galiath has any real power in the Northeast. They and their influential hold on the spice trade must be controlled." Evadan of House Faray chuckled to himself, several maps spread out before him. "I think that House Faray may expand their trade in silk into the Eastern Principalities this year. Of course, the merchants will need guards."
    Talin looked around the room, at the conspirators that were not there. "Excellent. The Storm is coming, my friends..."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

11. - Top - End - #11

Maulg

That's very nice, Nova, but I would prefer it if you did not lie to me. As... Brilliant as you are, you dismiss me as some simpering dolt with no knowledge of what can and cannot be done. Quite impolite. Others of our kind, for I am sure there are others, might not take too kindly to your...presumptions.

As for that...hmmm...mental chaff of yours, don't bother. If I was delving into your deepest secrets, you would know.

Maulg began to leave.

My offer still stands if you should choose to speak with me again. Perhaps we could collaborate on a project of a different nature, assuming you keep your wits about you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maulg can figure things out on his own too. That and he can tell surface thoughts (and lies) easily enough. He is rather uncreative, his mind is narrow, but incredibly strong and focused. Very much Nova's opposite.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

(New turn, and no posting time.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Elegant Nova

The Spark of Science was quiet for a moment, before laughing. "You think I would share my knowledge with any stranger? Pffft - please, give me a bit of credit! That kind of knowledge is expensive, and I doubt you could pay my price, Mauli-boy! If you wish to have use of my extensive knowledge, you'd better find a way to repay the favor..."

The Magnificent Scoundrel turned her back on Maulg, chuckling. "Or leave me to my work - complex beyond even your knowledge, psi-boy. I have much to do and little time for conversation that does not increase knowledge."

The Storm Breaks

The three cycles before the Conclave of Sturmik were filled with activity for those who knew what to look for. Certain leaders resigned suspiciously, or were poisoned, or were murdered. Mashri of House K'kath had incriminating documents fall into the hands of a Darkthain Knight - House Torllethar took control of the Arassyan League after her execution. After brutally challenging House Rashiel in the Sturmik High Council, Callin of House Hetherown was slain in the middle of High Street by White Snake himself. Very few Houses opposed House Rashiel after that incident, and none did it openly.

Then, on the first day of Seventh Cycle in the year 989, five Leagues simultaneously declared their loyalty to The Sturmik League - renamed the Storm League by its new High Councilor, Wilheimir of House Rashiel - and made the Storm League the greatest League of Dominion. House Rashiel quickly began to make sweeping changes in the League, culminating with the convening of the Storm League Council in the Eighth Cycle, after the brutal subjugation of the Amorene League by Houses Ithikan and Torllethar.

That was then. This is now.

The Signing of the Solar Oaths

The room buzzes with excitement as the House Representatives take their seats, the banners of the twelve Great Houses decorating the walls. The Representatives of Houses Qillryn, Asufel and Carrmagen took their seats bitterly, Representative Asufel missing her ear and suffering several jadeblade scars. The Amorene League has no other option but to surrender at this point.

Everyone stops talking as House Rashiel enters, Wilheimir grandly entering with Talin and Saratha walking next to him. Wilheim sits in the ornate throne of the High Councilor, tail lashing in pleasure as his Representative and Herald step forth.

Talin lives for this moment, and takes to the role of Herald with his usual panache and charm. "My friends! My dear fellows, House Rashiel welcomes every one of you to this meeting. The Storm League grows ever stronger!" He gestures at the disgraced Houses of the Amorene League, his disarming smile flashing at them. "And now, we of House Rashiel intend to make it even stronger!" His gestures are smooth yet powerful, accenting his words as two minor officials carry in the scroll - the all-important scroll. "My friends, every league is a weak structure - a fortress where those who live within it remove the foundation to try to climb to the top. My brothers, this must not happen! We of House Rashiel have spoken with the Conclave of Shadows, and Darkthain Templars Annoren and Reyaris stand here with us to bind the following scroll into the Law itself! The! Solar! Oaths!" His words reverberate through the great wooden hall as the Darkthain Templars stride forward, meeting the bearers of the Solar Oaths. The Representatives lean forward expectantly; mutter curiously; look on in paranoid anguish. As if he can read their minds, Talin laughs. "This scroll shall be the focus of the Storm League, my brothers! It shall be our foundation - a solemn oath that we shall not tear apart the League for our own profit, under the watch of the Darkthain Knights! We shall not bicker and maneuver the fate of the League for our own profit and let all fall to ruin, but have the fate of the League above all other virtue! We may rise and fall, but we shall work as one to hold the Storm League together! And all of Dominion shall! be! ours!"

Many had been cautious, if not rejecting of the entire idea. But something in Talin's voice caught hold of them all. As he explains the glory and power that shall be the Storm League, if only the Solar Oaths holds true at its core. One by one, they come forward, House Galathiel signing before any other.

And above Sturmik, a storm begins to roar...

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Lesser Star Act to create Sturmik - one awesome city!

1 Star Act to create the Storm League, which will be getting a lot bigger...
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Maulg

Maulg percieved a twinge of... something he didn't recognize. Oh well, it probably wasn't important.

Before he left, he spoke one last time.

On the contrary, you have been quite helpful already. Perhaps you are confused so I will... Hmm... Increase your knowledge, as it were.

I approach you with a proposal, innocent, no strings attached, and I know it is completely within the bounds of reality should one of us choose to follow through on it. You then lie to me, telling me that such a thing is impossible. That shows me that you must have your own machinations which you cling to selfishly.

As I depart, you laugh and chortle, attempting to convey the impression that you care little for my speculation when in reality, it seems I have struck a nerve. You defend your own selfishness without first making this mysterious proposal with the price I cannot meet, suggesting that you wish to remove me as quickly as possible.

You are quite brilliant Nova, I give you that much, but you are flawed in your assesment of others. I bid you farewell, Nova. You know where to find me if you change your mind. We could have made such progress, but I suppose that I will have to bumble along with my inferrior intellect. Good day.

Still formless, Maulg simply dispersed into the stars to return to his own planet.

Arguan, Nation of Baygnor

The nation of the shallows, the wet place, had been growing and developing steadily like any healthy nation should. Suddenly, without warning, the nation burst into activity. Massive refineries and processing plants were suddenly erected, pumping out heavy metals for construction and belching black smoke into the sky. This system was simply dubbed the Industrial Behemoth. Dark clouds perpetually covered Baygnor and often thick oily rain would fall down onto the cities and spread through the shallows. The Merfolk didn't mind as this polluted water ran down their backs as they worked. In reality, it suited these slimy fish creatures rather well.

Constantly chugging, churning, whirring and pumping, the city constantly made more goods. More labor was needed to use these goods efficiently, so massive spawning pits filled with vomit-colored nutrient sludge were constructed. The giant breeders would tend to the young in these and the birth rate was increased drastically.

The clouds themselves were empowered by the influence of Maulg. The clouds went from a dark grey to a soot black and purple lightning would often spew forth from the heavens. The merfolk called this "The Black Veil" since they couldn't be bothered to come up with a real name, uncreative as they were.

Midway between the City of Brass, Bogryn, and and Hyujin, an odd circular structure was mysteriously erected, poking out of the shallow watter and humming ominously. The thing could be "turned on" by an empath to create what seemed to be a rudimentary portal system that could displace objects sent through a few hundred feet.

Now only if there was anoter thing like this far away, perhaps on another planet...

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Star Act to create The Industral Behemoth: A nation wide network of massive rifineries, factories, mines and processing plants. The pollution caused is just a bonus. The Merfolk would have never been able to do anything on this scale without some serious influence

1 lesser star act to create The Black Veil: Evil black stormclouds that hang over Baygnor that shoot out purple lightning. A form of Maulg's (Un)holy ground.

1 Influence to make half a gate system powered through psionics. Who will make another portal? Will it be you, or you... or You?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

As Yolov watched and the Queen-Mother guided, the Noark race filled the entire planet. The queens shaped their hives to match the terrain, and the new caste of psionic Noark shaped the terrain to fit the Noark. With Yolov's guidance, both together shaped subspecies that could adapt to living even in the depths of the ocean. The time span over which the species could change accelerated from once or twice a generation to a year or less. The astounding variety of Noark filled the entire planet.

Yolov saw it but was not satisfied. He spoke to the queen again. "Queen, your children now fill the world. But there are other worlds, and other races. We will expand and take those worlds as well, but first we need to fully use the resources of this one. Breed a new caste, one that will form themselves to the land and turn the components of the rock and soil into useful products. With new materials we can create more powerful castes of our race to carry their sisters into the blackness of space, far from my star's light."

"And when we do leave our land and meet strange beings, how will my children be safe?" asked the Queen-Mother

"I have a way for this also; each year, in each hive, send the strongest of the hive's hunter-caste to hunt each other. The battles of their packs will give rise to stronger children more capable of destroying my enemies and protecting your children. "

"Then we will have these hunts. In a generation we will be able to defeat any beast that ever walked."

"It is possible. I will visit you at another time."

As these projects went forward, massive un-Noark-like clumps of flesh appeared across the world. These were the new factory caste, and they digested the soil into fuel for themselves and useful materials. The queens and psionic caste began to use these materials to make ever more exotic races; some metals lined the endo- and exoskeletons of worker castes, helping them to lift massive loads; more exotic compounds powered lighter-than-air flying castes, fire-breathing castes, and many other odd abilities. The most useful castes were kept and expanded, while others remained in small numbers should they be needed. The most novel use the materials were put to, though, was a new idea; tools. With easy materials and a clever psi-caste, the Noark had invented something that did work but was not a Noark. Hammers, knives, and firestarters were among the first things to be invented; soon swords and shields were as well, and with time. . .

The Great Hunts, as they were named, were another huge success. Packs of the strongest Noark fought each other, controlled by a group of psi-Noark who came to be known as the generals. The strongest, most agile, and toughest survived, and the queens made more hunters who were all like them. In time, the other castes traits became involved; some of the new warrior-caste that arose from the Great Hunts could breathe fire, some could tunnel like the deep-cave Noark, some could fly. The Hunts moved from the simple hunts of the past into large engagements headed by teams of psi. As soon as tools were invented, the generals created tools of war. Razor slivers of metal named swords sliced through Noark carapaces, then beaten plates of metal were held to stop them. Warrior castes had swords grown into their bodies for better control, then metal plates were incorporated into carapaces. The arms race rushed ever onward to create the perfect warriors to defend the Noark from any threat they would ever meet.

Spoiler
    Show

Star Act: Factory-caste Noark and the invention of technology
    Influence act: Begin the wargames
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Elegant Nova

And the Magnificent Scoundrel chuckled to herself as Maulg left. Really, the arrogance of some - assuming that he knew what she was trying to do. Not even she knew what she was doing, sometimes - as if he had any chance at all of uncovering her labyrinthine deceptions. "No. Thank you, psi-boy..."

She returned to her work - influencing the pseudo-magic of the "Wylders" so that their hunt could travel farther then they could possibly dream. A few quick tweaks of the formula in the heads of their shamans, and they'd have a good chance of ripping a rift in space-time from not just one part of Dominion's wild reaches to another but from Dominion itself to other worlds.

And that was only step one... ooooh, did those wonderful pawns just conquer another League? Yeeeeaaaah!!

Dominion

For the common craftsman and jadeblader, nothing much changed. Sure, the Storm League taking over your League made for some changes in the government, but life went on as normal. You still got hired to make quality work for the Houses and serve them with your jadeblade and shield.

For the Houses... turmoil and strife reigned. The Storm League brought peace and unity, and it seemed that everyone was all for such things... but only if they were on top. Leagues banded together or fell separately to the Great Leagues - the Storm League, the Anarine League in the southeast, the Malovian League in the west and the Firebrand League to the north. Surprisingly, the Firebrand League allied with the Storm League - in all but name, they bowed to Sturmik.

Sweeping changes were being made, but at their core they stayed the same. The Leagues still fought each other; the Housemen still created plots within plots to destroy each other; the Darkthain Knights still held sway over all while having dominion over none.

Wyldshift

The Wylder band Kr'gathzen came out of the Wyldshift in a strange place - wet, stormy and wet. Being Wylders, they just shrugged and looked for their important goals: something to kill, something to steal and something to rut with.

And they'd find them. Oh, yes...

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I just love antagonizing Smiley in this game, don't I? You've got Wylders on yer world now, boy!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, by all means, keep it coming. It tells me that you care.

The Wylder band

It was not just wet. Calling it wet would be like calling an icestorm only somewhat chilly. They were waist deep in oily water, barraged by sheets of fine rain. Their clothes and coats became incredibly heavy and waterlogged almost instantly.

The group then saw some of the ugliest fish they had ever seen swim silently up to them, a muddy brown with evil looking bulging eyes and a vicious lower jaw. Then they realized, there were bodies attached to these fish.

As soon as it was obvious that the Wylders were quite hostile and wouldn't be captured without a fight and were not in the least interested in talking, the Merfolk sprang up and began to fight back. There were two thrallmasters, a battlelord, an empath and two thralls for every Wylder.

The Wylders fought ferociously, but the thralls weaved and dodged almost every blow as they were fed sensory information from the thrallmasters. When a Wylder broke free of the fray and attacked one of the Thrallmasters, either one of the thralls would tackle the wayward Lunai or the Battlelord, who was unnaturally strong, would simply grapple them and toss them back into the fray.

Finally, it was over. The entire band, save two were restrained, was either torn apart or subject to fatal cerebral hemorrhages. Several thralls too were dead, but they had advantage in numbers with the support from the
    Thrallmasters and persistent mental attacks and mind stabs from the Empath. The deciding factor, however, was the terrain which had turned a possibly winnable fight into a one sided massacre.
    ------------------------

Maulg

An interesting move, but not one that wasn't blatantly obvious. The fact was, Nova was a narcissist and likely to assume that everyone else was too stupid or blind to read her movements. Maulg had no such conceptions. He knew that plans could fail and that others were often quite resourceful if pushed into a tight spot. Flawed as she was, he would have to tread around Nova carefully.

But for now, she had stumbled into his own machinations... Except these Wylders were useless! Absolutely useless! Ah, he should have known. Nothing is ever that simple. He would have to wait for his chance, but it would come.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2009-02-14 at 10:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm telling you mother. They're intelligent creatures! I'm sure that if we could just speak with them somehow, they'd have a lot of things to tell us." Paluna, the young Starlet yells to his mother. The two Starlets are tending to their garden. Paluna is high up in a peach tree, picking the fruit and throwing it down to his mother, who catches them in a basket. "Paluna dear. I know you like the animals, but don't you think that you're taking this a little too far? You've heard the sounds they make. We have no hope of understanding them, or even recreate their language." The Starlet pokes his head out from between the branches. "But mother. I'm sure that... whoa!" Paluna yelps as the branch gives out from his weight. His mother watches in shock as her son dives headfirst towards the ground. However, just before his head is knocked against the ground, and invisible force tugs against him and slows his descent.

"That was a close call my dear. You ought to be more careful." Paluna and his mother look around in fear. "Ah my dears. Have no fear. I do not wish upon you any harm, and though you may not see me, you can feel in your heart that I bear you no ill will." The two Starlets look at one another, their minds somehow at ease by the soothing voice. "I come to you, because I require your aid. My dear Paluna." Paluna's eyes light up as the presence envelopes him. "You will do great deeds for me. You will build wonders. Forge peace. Make the Starlets a shining beacon to the world." Paluna closes his eyes. Visions flood his mind as the divine Star fills him with plans. Tells him how he should spread her teachings to his people. He learns of hope, joy and beauty that he has never seen before. When he opens his eyes, the presence is gone, but not the feeling of purpose it left behind. "Mother... we shall build a better tomorrow."