New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: 'We live, as we dream — alone ...' [In Character]

Faust

Faust followed behind Novare, dragging his fair share of the load. He dragged himself forward by pulling himself with anything that could find in the corridor and launching himself forward, occasionally getting dragged in a different direction tanks to the false gravity flickering on and off. Laying the pieces of metal down, Faust looked up at the Panel and could only say.

"... is that the time we had until entry?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Well, that's two done.

*glances over at the chrono*

Keep bringing plates, I have a feeling we'll need them.

*gets back to work*

Spoiler
    Show
    2nd roll (1d100)[93] vs 77. Also, quick head count: We've done two suits, but how many more? And how much armor should I be looking at adding to each suit to survive re-entry?
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

As he works, Constantine bumps his head.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

As Faust and Novare make their way back towards the main group, they both observe the stopped clock with some degree of apprehension. Before the Grey Knight can study it for very long, the display explodes in a shower of sparks. With the short time, and the fact that warp-sparks vary very little from, say, electrical sparks, one would expect that he gains little from it - in fact, it is enough to confirm the worries that the Minnow is sinking into the atmosphere along with its whale parent, and this wash of rarefied, ionised gas is causing havoc in its systems. Certain facts - such as the extent to which wires are burnt through - suggest that the problem is perhaps half an hour old, maybe forty minutes.

Constantine manages to lightly armour a third suit, although welding is becoming increasingly difficult with the tremors running through the ship. With regard to time, he will certainly have enough to prepare one more Orlan, but, with Novare's assessment of the time, a fourth will be pushing it to the very edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the lateness guys. Hope you appreciate the little present I made you while I was gone. This was in the navigational computer that Lucius was looking at earlier - assume it's just arrived on your armour's cogitators/HUD. Enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show

Anyway, down to business - the damaged drop pod will scatter D3-the number of degrees of success best of your pilot checks, in a random direction - all determined secretly, natch. So, decide where you want to land on the planet's surface, find what you want to investigate (which part of the mysterious circular feature, for example), entering the coordinates into the navigational computer, which can help guide you into the correct location to make a drop.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gevurah is stopped in his tracks by the momentary information overload. He can be heard by anyone listening closely to mutter under his breath. "All the darkage arcane technology, terraforming, the ability to mold the very surface of a word at a whim. Why do they always set to making hundreds of fjords when given the chance? Oh very pretty I'm sure, award winning even, but it makes choosing a drop zone that much more difficult..."
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

We're almost out of time people....I can work on one more suit.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[78] vs 77 ...
    edit: Twitch...three rolls with a 3 in 4 chance of success and I fail two of them....
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-04-17 at 08:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Halfling in the Playground

Brother-Marine Novare Sacantus

Having raised a free hand to his temple as he concentrated, Novare snorts as he breaks his focus, "Well that's not particularily good news.. " this muttered to.. noone in particular, "Well before that clock sparked out of existance.. it seems that it's been stuck like that for about.. 30-40 minutes" Trailing off as the planetary survey appears on his HUD, "Indeed Camael, if only the now dying systems were responsive enough to be able to calculate the vector of the blast that bisected the ship, I'd think getting close to that point would be ideal.." He says that as he tries to determine that information from the data his suit retained from it's earlier connection with the fire-point systems

Mometarily pausing in his work, the Knight quickly scans the interior of the bay, "Do you need atmosphere to continue your work Constantine?" His gaze shifting now to the Librarian and Chaplin, "If not perhaps we should begin moving the pod into position while our Armour finishes his work within the pod?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Librarian Lucius Egar

Lucius looks at Novare and nods solemnly this was not going to be easy, and at this rate it looked like it was going to be a worse jump than had been anticipated without enough suits. He grimaced under the Orlan helmet he may have to sacrifice the use of suit since he had the strongest armor in the group.

Do no push the time limit if you can not get the last suit ready I will go without if need be. The emperor will provide.

He then turns to get the pod ready and access the computer to attempt to program a rudimentary telemetry to a target location.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

9. - Top - End - #189

+"Novare, let me help you with the pod. It would be excellent if we could determine the source of the beam, but if all else fails I suggest we aim for the apex of that clearly artificial curve."+

The towering chaplain moves to one side of the drop pod and gets a stable grip.

+"Ready when you are..."+
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

As the group steps in, hauling remaining ceramite behind them with slight flickers of plasma, the sequence of lights adorning the dying nav-computer flicker, die, and are born again.

PRIMARY THRUST SYSTEMS DOWN. RETROTHRUSTERS SHIFTED TO MANUAL CONTROL.

With agonising slowness, three more words appear on the navigation screen.

ENTER. TARGET. DESTINATION.

Spoiler
    Show
    GAAH! WILL CONTINUE! Apologies. I've been clawing my way atop an enormous pile of coursework which is now finished! Woo!

Yeah, that's a little more armour on the last suit, and you'll be able to do more in the pod. Anyway, shall we be off? ADVENTURE awaits.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-04-22 at 02:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

Brother-Marine Novare Sacantus

Giving a half nod of agreement towards the Chaplin, Novare first assists in loading up the remaining plates and gear into the droppod before finally taking up a position to forcibly shove/drive it out of the hanger, "Lets do this". Carefully giving measured bursts of force from the plasma jet of his Orlan, the knight attempts to work in unison with the other marines to drive the pod out of the hanger.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Indeed Brothers, let us move. Emperor knows sitting up here isn't doing us any good.

13. - Top - End - #193

Gevurah reaches down to the pods input screen and presses "e,π" on the key pad.

+"We'll aim for the lower end of that artificial arc towards the middle of the photo, it's solid enough that we'll be unlikely to drift into an ocean and close enough that we shouldn't have much of a trek if we miss"+

Gevurah then moves back into position for moving the pod and prepares to board.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show