New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 'We live, as we dream — alone ...' [In Character]

Gevurah's face goes slack, his jaw drops, pointed incisors glinting in the low light. He stares as the recording goes on, and continues his gaze even after the Wolf disappears. He is, for perhaps the first time in his life, unsteady on his feet. He sits at one of the benches.

"Brothers... I have seen first hand the power of the Emperor; I have personally seen a Living Saint. His glory is is at the edge of human understanding, and the abilities granted to those who serve him can seem clearly miraculous to most men. To do what is suggested here... is no simple matter. Many will fight, the High Lords will not be wrested from power willingly, the Holy Synod will declare us Heretics!."

He hefts his copy of the Codex Astartes onto the stone slab.

"What of this? I am not saying this is the wrong course of action, but I must beg you to convince me that to go forward in this is not to spit in the face of everything we believe in and uphold!"
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

After a moment of thought, he speaks.

Brothers, the truth of what you have said is not for me to debate. As far as the average citizen is concerned, the Emperor might as well be a God.

Is a decision of this magnitude even warranted at this time? Can the Imperium hold if we start fighting amongst ourselves? Even if this course of action is just, even if it is needed....dare we do so? The scale of devastation would be beyond anything we have seen so far.

The decision to do this is beyond me. I am not qualified to decide, but I must admit this entire line of discussion leaves me cold. I am....uneasy.

However, know this. If we do this, our planets will be destroyed. Our people will die, our chapter houses and monasteries will be raised. We will have only the support we can raise, and that which we can take. We will be unable to replace losses.

The Inquisition killed billions on that planet. Our actions would lead to the death of countless more. Does that make us better or worse then they are?
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-02-15 at 11:23 PM.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Father Dariel purses his lips. If there was any emotion left in his ever-augmented computerised oblongata, it would be suspicion. And shrewdness. An Astartes Brother would always be shrewd. Regardless of how many cerebral lobotomies he had undergone.

"As Emissary of the Iron Hands, I dare ask; Who will end up at the apex of power, if the High Lords of Terra and Ecclisiarchy are effectively removed from power? You? Master Grimnar? Forgive me, but I do not believe they will take it well. In previous records, it has not ended well for their end, regardless of intentions. Has this topic been broached to the other Adeptus ranks? Would you command the Sororitas? In addtion to the Legions Imperiale? Previous battle tactics recorded in the Imperial Primer, most sacred book to all Legion Commanders and Infantrymen, much like our own Codex Astartes has worked previously for them, and proved valuable. Has served them well, regardless of the loss of life involved.
    I would stress at this time that the Legions Imperiale are not Adeptus Astartus, and, every time they have been used as such, has failed."

Did he just actually say that? Sending Legions of men to their death was a viable strategy, so long as it worked? Dariel really was losing his humanity. Still, previous logs of battles have shown that the numerous battles fought by His Emperor's Imperial Guard, have been won with significant casualties. But, the Legions Imperiale have always made back their losses. The Imperium was many.

...There was never any shortage of conscripts.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-02-15 at 11:43 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #34

Brother Harbough Mercut

There was very little which could cause silence in a space marine. Even rarer was that which could cause him to turn away. Rarist still was that which could cause an ultramarine to doubt his chain of command, to doubt the codex, ironically, the only item which the power to do so, was the need to defend the codex.

"Father Dariel is apt in his questioning. The Astrates legions were dissolved for a reason, so th at no man may maintain power over such a force as to dominate the imperium. The Astrates have always been a force distant to the Imperium, we are seperate to step in when we are needed but to take dominance ourselves goes against over very calling.

Perhaps, just perhaps, it could be justified as to our intervention. Are the marines alone in our ideals? I have witnessed firsthand the Inquisitions blind fury, even dealing with Xenos that are not necessarily (searching for the right words), an immediate threat.

The Imperium has always honoured the Astrates as near worship and adoration, and our actions would easily call us a following, as do the soldiers of the Guard regiments across the stars. They are esteemed warriors in their own right, their only failure is that they are treated as marines, instead of holding value to their own strengths.

Though what of the Mechanicus? Without their support we would be doomed to failure.

No, an endevour of this type would cause the doom of Man we fight to provent. Though interference may be necessary if the news is indeed as grim."
    Last edited by king.com; 2009-02-16 at 05:20 AM.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Librarian Lucius Egar

Lucius does not look away as the wolf speaks. These are the selfish words of a man who lusts for glory and power. No these are words similar to those spoken by the most damned of all the Fallen these are words in line with Luther himself. When the wolf had ended his recorded speech He spit on the ground before him.

How can you listen to such trash? Only such a foul and pathetic wolf would lust so much for glory that he would risk all that the emperor strived for. He empowered us not to rule in his stead but to protect the empire he created with his own hands. The pathetic fool could not even show his traitorous face before this council, why should we give his words even a second thought? It would be best if we removed him from position before he leads others to fall.

He does not flinch as the younger members of the group he arrived with do, he looks the esteemed men assembled before him ,all representatives of the first founding, and he grimaces.

Indeed we may all be damned for even thinking his words may have more meaning than heresy.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

"Hard feelings, of course not. Your brothers like so many other Marines are hero's in the eyes of the Imperium, have always been held in the highest honor, as such gruesome tasks which must be done and held in secret would only fall to brothers of my order, if not to preserve the great things they once did. It is one of the steadfast roles of my order to save the souls of marines twisted by the powers of chaos, a task I would be honored to have, were it to fall to me." Novare states firmly, "So please, lead the way, you are safe in the assumption that casual disregard does not exist in my nature."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Faust

He clipped his helmet onto his belt as he stood in silence, listening to the Relictor and silently judging. Faust quirked his head a few times while listening to the Relictor and let his fellow marine talk. When the Relictor had invited them to his quarters, Faust spoke up.

"I'm interested, show me what you want."

Though Faust had said this, he still wondered what this Relector's field of expertise was and felt unnerved by not knowing. He decided that it would be best to follow in caution, and that he must see what the Relector has before declaring him a heretic.

Crunch
    Spoiler
    Show
    Common lore: chapter history to figure out more of what the Relector is talking about.
    (1d100)[53]
    I would have posted earlier, but school/giant being down got in my way.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

With the Relictor

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, there's more than conservative marines? Excellent.

As he begins to walk, he begins explaining.

I made my own way to this Convoke, since I've been wandering about in charge of my own ship these past two hundred years. The lot of a 'renegade' Space Marine is a fairly interesting one, and can magnify our understanding and love for the Emperor tenfold. It's something that the Eldar, for all their faults - and the birthing of a Chaos God must count as a rather large fault - have picked up on - I believe that their culture has something like it, where they leave the confines of their world, and simply wander. The few that come back are among the most zealous protectors of their realms. Czevak wrote on it, poor guy.

You arrive at a door that's much more ornate than anything you've seen so far. It's actually a pressure door that leads onto a small warp-skiff, that has latched onto the side of the Redemptoris Missio. Opening the door, he waves vaguely to a Sister of the Order Dialogous, who steps forward from a crowd of shadowy acolytes to whip a large piece of cloth off a selection of objects on the floor. Gesturing to them, she begins enunciating (in an accent that, aeons ago, might have had hints of Texan) a fairly measured stream of description, hiding the excitement well.

While waiting for the arrival of other guests, my Master ordered that we should take a stroll on the surface of one of the moons of this system. No less than fifty metres from the dropsite that we had selected, we were surprised

The relictor smirks.

to locate artificial objects arranged in a pattern roughly approximating a pattern denoting strategic significance. Put simply, we found a fort. While the majority of the finds have been stored in the hold of this ship, my Master has ordered the following to be brought out to show to you, and to ask what you would say they were?

Under the sheet lie
    • an old, rusted combi-bolter, its copper aquila barely more than a splash of oxidised blue;
    • a shred of plating that looks almost like it came from the bottom of a land-speeder;
    • several tattered pieces of armour that have been jigsaw-puzzled together into a rough humanoid shape (there is an attached label bearing the word 'putative'). It is barely more than a metre in height. What would approximate to a helm is thick-browed, and resembles a crude, thickset face.

Amused look still on his face, the Marine looks at you. It's as if he's waiting for the punchline of a joke.

Spoiler
    Show
    You'd be vaguely aware that the Grey Knights were used in some form of punitive action against the Relictors, but not much more. It would make sense, given their reputation, and their allegations of heresy. Also, with regard to the three objects - no rolls necessarily. Let's see what you can come up with ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Both Boreale and Cadma begin speaking at the same time - and both fall silent as Exagriomene rises.

Well, I guess we all know why our winged-helmeted friend takes such objection - but I'd think that now's no time to keep that up, especially when so much bloody time was wasted over it during the Crusade. Anyway, you want to know where Grimnar is right now? He's putting his life on the line holding back a frakking Black Crusade with depleted, tired troops, that's what. So pardon me if I'm sceptical of claims of his 'traitorous heresy'.

Anyway - down to business. Your two objections, gentlemen -

Would we go alone? Of course not. That's a stupid and ridiculous idea. Can you imagine every planet under a ruler who builds palaces instead of schools and orphanages? Every ecclesiarch who fills his pockets own pockets with the sweat and blood of his followers rather than shepherding his flock? Damnit, the entire Calixis sector is run by a petty tyrant who devotes more throne gelt and effort into protecting his own legacy than anything else, and doesn't even really care that half his court are secretly cultists? Well, yeah, he could be bumped off, but there'd be a million more in his place. We've sent out feelers. Worlds would follow us, large portions of the Adeptus Mechanicus would jump into line with us, the Navis Nobilite, and, with them, the Chartist Captains are all in favour of anyone who's willing to make life a little easier for our necessary mutant brethren -

Here Cadma interrupts,

'Indeed - it was largely their work that allowed us to convene this gathering at such short notice. They also brought in a high ranking contact on Terra, who, though he or she's remained anonymous, is putting a lot on the line for this.'

Nodding, annoyed that his flow was broken, but thankful for the point, the angry Marine continued. Boreale wipes a little drop of saliva from the corner of his mouth using his elaborately embroidered robe.

'And yes, this might go against Codex Astartes. Yes, it might go against the bloody Primer. But those are the works of mortals. Our ultimate loyalty can only be with the frakking Emperor of all frakking mankind - and his mission was to save humanity! To make it great! He made us, set us out to burn a comet's arc to the edge of space for humanity. And what he set us out to do has been forgotten. Now he is confined to Terra, the Imperium is merely points of light in a sea of darkness and souls so soiled they may as well be dark. He created the Imperium with his own hands, but it's sure as hell the work of sinners now. Mistakes we might be able to right, mistakes that Brother Mercut's lord already is righting in his own Empire of Ultramar, mistakes that would not exist in a World Order not New but Old, Older than the Heresy. Because isn't that what the Emperor wanted?

The near shouted end to this speech wins appreciation from the Raven Guard, who's been nodding all the way through, but the White Scar, Imperial Fist, and even the wild-looking Blood Claw, now recovered from the slight against his master, are looking to the new arrivals with some concern, seeking affirmation in their suspicion.

'Emprah', the Blood Ravens master says absent-mindedly.

EDIT:Apologies for the horrible-to-read yellow text, it's the only way to convey the sheer eye-watering nature of an angry marine speaking without **** **** swearing every few ******* *** words.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-02-19 at 03:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

During the Tirade, a raised eyebrow was the only motion he made. After Boreale was finished, Constantine shook his head and spoke.

You misunderstand me Brothers. My concern was this: First, is now the time to even consider this, or should we destroy the Crusade first?

Second: Even if the the Navis Nobilite and the Adeptus Mechanica joined us, we still do not have enough troops and equipment to secure our supplies and people.

Perhaps we are going about this the wrong way. If our brothers in Ultramar are fixing the problem, why do we not emulate them? Get sectors declared to be under our rule. Once that has occurred, we don't even need to fight the rest on the Imperium.

10. - Top - End - #40

Following the 'renegade' space marine, Novare quickly appraises the collected servants. Shifting his attention, the Grey knight studies the remains for a brief moment,"This almost looks to be the remains of an suit of tactical dreadnought armour or at least, half of one." a casual glance to the collected servants, "also known as Terminator armour. And if the weapon is any indication, this suit issuance predating the Horus Heresy."

Raising his gaze again to the Relictor, "You know being a renegade seems to have suited you well, to have gathered such a collection of followers." a smirk flashing across his features, "And should I assume that you believe this marine was cleansed by my order?" indicating the tag on the armor, "A friend of yours perhaps? And here I was thinking you held no grudge?"
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-02-19 at 11:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Gevurah rocks back in his seat slightly at the yellow clad marine's verbal assault, but when Cadma interjects his eyes narrow. The Salamander's words have a calming effect on his visage and he leans forward with his elbows on the table and his hands outspread in a gesture of openness as he speaks.

"If your faith in the Emperor is an eighth of your passion then you are a more pious man than I Brother Exagriomene. What you say of the Emperor's original intent rings true to my ears. The thought of an Imperium returned to its former shining glory is intoxicating indeed, but mind you what brought humanity to its current state. The Emperor is the only one capable of sustaining this empire without a hint of selfish aims; no one man could ever do the same. Sebastian Thor knew this, and we must carry that knowledge close to hearts. I agree with Brother Constantine that we must first seek to drive back the daemons from Cadia before undertaking any action to restructure the Imperium in His image."

He looks into the faces of his fellows as he speaks, panning around the room.

"Whatever we endeavor after we close the gate we must be careful of our allies. A single unnamed figure on Terra bringing things into line seems simply too fortuitous to be true. I think I will join in this, but heed these words: No one outside of this room can really understand the purity of such a mission. Such a misunderstanding may breed dark ambition, and when a Blood Angel prays caution, listen."
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius glares at the blood claw even as the other marine speaks. But every word enters his ears and every word makes his face grimmer.

We do not have the foresight of the emperor to lead a crusade into against his own empire. Indeed we would be replacing his empire by one we see fit with this plan. A lone unnamed figure "aids" us from Terra.

A speaks the word aids with a bitter and sarcastic tone which rivals even the yellow clad marines anger.

Have we not all heard of entire systems who fall the the good word of an unnamed figure. Are we to be the ones who let the entire empire fall to that same unknown figure. I speak of chaos my fellow brothers. Even the backwards space wolves know of chaos.

He says this with a grimace directly at the blood claw.

And yet we walk blindly in their favor? Does that make sense to anyone now present? Because it seems you all wish to repeat the mistake of Horus. But worse yet you wish to do it without the protection of the emperor and his might to protect the empire from out treachery.

13. - Top - End - #43

Brother Harbough Mercut

Immediately drawing his bolt pistol he shoots Boreale square in the..

His posture was one of a man whose purpose had been pulled out from under hi. Whose perceptions of light and darkness were removed, and the honour and dignity he had come to expect from all, removed. That veil, know commonly as hope still lingered but only for the briefest of moments.

"The Emperor foresaw that one day humanity would need warriors unlike any other. Warriors who could face the horrors of the darkness unafraid."

He quote Gabriel Angelos.

"I always assumed that these horrors came from the xenos, the witch, and the warp. Perhaps the greatest horror, is combating our own."
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

14. - Top - End - #44

Gevurah has been tapping his armored fingers on the table since the dark angel's combative remarks and takes the pause after Marcut's reasoned response to cut in and attempt to calm down the rising tensions.

"This is no time for petty debate and the wakening of old rivalries and slights Brother librarian, the Imperium fights amongst itself often enough without our bickering resulting in crippling inaction."

He looks away from Lucius and begins to pan across the collected supermen again.

"Let's move, take back the Cadian Gate, and then we can deal with some sort of bracing of the Imperium for future threats. Our mysterious benefactor on Terra will see the wisdom of such a choice if their best wishes are in line with the Imperium's. If they object... we'll know something more about our supposed allies won't we? It is not for me, or any of us at this time, to decide who and how the Imperium will run. I trust the Wolf's tactical assessment, If we don't mobilize there won't be an Imperium to reorganize."
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Relictor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, guess again, guess again, brother. My brethren only go back to the 35th Millennium, as part of the Praeses founding. You are right, however, that this predates the heresy - and, as another interesting tidbit, it predates Imperial control of the entire sector by nearly six thousand years. Saint Drusus' crusade of faith only brought this Emperor-forsaken bit of space under His wing fairly recently, depending on one's calendar. Post Dark Age of Technology, Pre-Heresy, certainly not designed for humans or marines ... what could it be?

Stepping forward from the huddled onlookers, a Black Priest begins in a measured, but unexpected, rebuke.

'Renegades' or derogators from typical Imperial service our master and we the crew may be, but a loyalist, aquila bearing ship descending on a beleaguered fort of the Guard is a loyalist ship. It suits us, but if we are as a parallel with the Emperor, it suits his will more.

Convoke
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boreale raises an eyebrow at the words of his recently departed adjutant, quoted on the lips of an Ultramarine. The Angry marine cuts in first, however ...

'We like to think that our passion, our anger, is our faith in the Emperor. But anyway - I say we haven't really got the luxury of a choice, to wait and to sit back while the Imperium burns. Sure, it would be a nice idea if we could move this along peacefully, and step by step, but if Daemons are spilling all over our homeworlds, well ....'

Cadma pipes up in the ensuing silence, eager for the opportunity to de-escalate the conflict.

Oh, I am sure that we can defend the Gate. Indeed, that is the priority of those who organised the Convoke that we should. The immediate security of the Imperium comes above all. Exagriomene's point is indeed correct - if we spend too much time talking about our goal, we may never reach it. But I've been reading over old Terran military strategics, and they stress the importance of planning for 'after the victory'; what say you to using the Gate as a proving ground for the worth of the 'Older Order'? Two cultists can be killed by one bolt round, as it were.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay, guys. It will get more action-y and fast paced soon, don't worry.

16. - Top - End - #46

"Then these remains are from the Age of Strife, either some form of Xenos that came to prey on mankind, some warp twisted creature," Novare responds to the Relictor, "Or it is some Abhuman race, such as an Ogryn or " looking over the size again, "or more likely a Demiurg.." A rough roll of his shoulders, "But enlighten me.." a casual wave of his hand, "What is this moldering pile?"

As the priest speaks up, the knight flickers his attention to him, "Heretics often find the easiest shield to be that of a loyalist. And those that feel themselves beyond the governance of the throne, very often find themselves opposed to it. Or prehaps it can be seen as the first few steps along a path blazed by the traitorous legions"
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-02-23 at 02:31 AM. Reason: to use the proper name for squats

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Relictors

Spoiler
    Show
    The Relictor snaps a finger at Novare.

Got it. What we found was a pre-Heresy military installation. Beyond any known reaches of Imperial Space. The Demiurg were often employed at such sites, in order to lend their mechanical assistance to their more morphically human counterparts. This particular piece of armour is, as you surmised, Terminator Armour - or 'Exo-Armour', as it was for the Demiurg - the combi-bolter was presumably its weapon, and this piece of anti-grav plate looked experimental to us. Part of a much larger array.

Why am I telling you all this? I am illustrating the point I am about to make. This worries me. The whole business worries me. Why, I'd ask, are we in orbit around a dead planet that just happens to contain incredibly rare, pre-Heresy research stations? Well, we looked into it. And guess what we found. The stars are wrong. Someone is doing a very good job at keeping a wide spectrum of infrared radiation hidden from observers on the planet, and they are doing so via the expedient of wide angle mirrors. Cute, but they show large patches of stars where they shouldn't be. We found this out approximately an hour ago, and have since pinged them with both aethyr scans and a highly experimental ray for the detection of necrodermis. Nothing. There's just some huge, big-ass mirrors all pointed at us. Just hanging there.

I am telling you this now because you have, just as I expected, been sceptical, and I need to convince a non-believer. Here is dataslate with our findings - you may cross-check them, and find them to be true.

He hands you a large high-resolution tablet, with the findings archive in the neat Sororitas script, and takes a long draw on his lho-stick.

Whaddya think, eh? Come to discuss potentially treasonous, but possibly righteous politics, find ominous space mirrors?
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-02-23 at 05:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Novare Scantus takes the data slate wordlessly, an eyebrow raised and an expression that silently states 'uhh what?' that only lasts a brief moment before he quickly scans the acolytes of the Relictor, looking for signs of madness. Finding none, at least none that is visible he turns his attention to the data slate. Rolling his shoulders the Grey knight is forced to attest in agreement "Mirrors" Novare echoes simply. letting the word echo in the air before adding "in space.." Passing the data slate to his companion.

"If you have only just found this out, either the council has not been fully informed of this data" a pause and then a knowing glance to the Relictor after all, they had just met in the hallway a few minutes before, "Or they did not believe you when you raised concerns. Of course changing the stars to hide the position from us would seem needless considering the lengths they went to control the circumstances that brought us here.. " Inhaling briefly, "That means it is more likely not the working of our council of breathern, and is either Xenos or heretical in origin.. which can only mean.." an eyebrow raised towards the other marine present before looking back to the Relictor, "Ambush"

A low menacing smile, "I've never been the kind to wait around and let the terms of an engagement be set on my enemies turn. Victory is taken, not delivered. I think it's time we were shown to our weaponry and see what assets we can put to work among the organizers of this meeting" his gaze shifting to the servants of the renegade marine. Clamping his jaw, almost as if he's been chastised many times for roaring into a fight too soon, he slowly exhales, his mind focusing, "Or perhaps we should interrupt the meeting and demand action?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Mirrors in space
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mirrors.

In space.

The Relictor nods to confirm the Knight's suspicions.

I have not had a chance yet to discuss this with the council; as our 'altercation' regarding renegadeship demonstrated, I am not the best candidate to go bursting in on Convokes unannounced. If, however, a noted Grey Knight and hunter of heretics are seen to have independently verified my data, then it may be taken with due seriousness. I would counsel caution, however - you may be looking at a highly advanced Archaeotech system here, and a direct attack might be a bad idea.

20. - Top - End - #50

"I can live with this proposed 'Trial Run' if the others gathered here will agree. What say you brothers?"
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-02-23 at 07:51 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course. The Gate must be defended. What happends after happens after.

22. - Top - End - #52

"Then there is no sense in waiting." the Grey Knight resolved to a course, "Lets speak to the council, they will listen. I do not doubt that once we have the full attention of the gathered forces here, there will be more eyes, and sensors, turned towards these... Mirrors.. we will not be blindly diving into any conflict." With a last look over the pint-sized ancient armor he turns and begins to head towards the hatchway, pausing just inside to allow the Relictor to lead the way.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Faust

Faust looked over the data slab in silence. The very notion of mirrors floating out in space seemed so... absurd, and yet... likely. Faust wouldn't put this past the heretics and filthy Xenos. He looked up and opened his mouth to try to say something, only to have it shut again. Mirrors... in space... It seemed as if that was all that could go through his head as the Relictor and Grey Knight talked. Faust took a grasp of himself and spoke up...

"We should definitely take this to the council, if it is truly a ambush, we must be prepared... and if not, it should at least receive further investigation. I guess if the council doesn't listen, we could probably fire off one of the ship's cannons at it, but I would prefer to avoid that option as it is borderline heresy..."

Faust looked up from the slab at the Grey Knight to gauge his approval of that idea as he passed the data slab over.

"You should take this, they would listen to us more if you're the one holding the data."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

The pilot of the Relictor's ship leans round the door, his mirrored face mask faintly illuminated by the readouts dimly shining through it.
    It wouldn't be impossible for this ship to take an initial buzz round the things, see if we can get round the other side and see what's hiding behind the mirrors. If we are stealthy enough, we can maneuver round the mirrors far enough to force them to hide from either us or the Redemptoris Missio - and then one of us can see them.

Something like this?

He's sketched out a diagram.

By continuing along the dotted vector, eventually the mirrors won't be able to hide from your and our ships. In fact, if you're going by the Convoke, I'd ask you to put this by them.

25. - Top - End - #55

The Grey Knight nods briefly towards Faust as the dataslab is returned. Turning as the pilot intercedes. "A valid observation, and a very good idea, " giving an approving nod, "but hold until word is sent. An action like that simply forces them to react, either by accelerating their plans, or simply covertly removing the offending ship." a pause as he quickly replicates the diagram on the carried dataslate, "They could simply slowly drop positions back and bring them together to cut off your ship with no information relayed back to us" moves the indicated lines and dots around to simulate the motion ".. and that is assuming the mirrors.." he shakes his head briefly as that sheer thought of space mirrors is still hard to believe, "are the only tool they have to mask their positions." his gaze meeting the pilot's "Besides, ambushes rely on surprising the prey.. and they do not know they have lost that advantage yet.. perhaps with the allied forces here have resources to penetrate, or divine what the mirrors hide.. then we can potentially use their ignorance or arrogance to our advantage. But keep tracking their progression, an ETA would also be appreciated, make sure to also update me if that changes." briefly giving the pilot a voxnet frequency to reach the knight on.

His gaze now returns to the relictor, "Unless there is something else to be revealed to us.. let us address the council"
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-02-25 at 08:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Looking back up at the Grey Knight, Faust rolled a few thoughts over in his head.

"Well, our suspicions may be confirmed once we get close enough to the mirror, our ship just may reflect off of it. But enough of this, hand me that sketch, it may prove useful."

One Faust gets the sketch, he will leave with the Grey Knight.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

The sketch, previously hovering several centimetres off the page, condenses down onto it, and the pilot hands it over to Faust. Just as the two are leaving, the Relictor looks carefully at the two, and gestures that he has one further thing to say.

Be careful with this information. We took pains not to allow it onto networked electronic systems - that might allow it to be picked up. Good luck, and let the Emperor guide your words and deeds.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give the remaining Convoke lot a day to respond. After that, I might move them on, if that's OK.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius grimaces at the other brothers lack of mental fortitude.

This a chaos bent plan however I see it best that I be there when you all realize this so that I may be able to execute the emperors wrath upon all you who have forsaken his path. He made us gods so that we may protect his flock not so that we might rule them. I will join you until I must end our lives.

Lucius eyes the marines around him with new found hate. These foolish men were nearly as depraved and foolish as the fallen. Indeed when they finally realized their error it would be to late but he would be there so that a eternal quest like the one his chapter now endures will not be needed to find these heretics.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Constantine Dae

*Glances over at Brother Egar*

Chaos bent? I fail to see how protecting the Imperium can be considered Chaos bent. Unless you are accusing the Ultramarines to be Chaos Tainted. They rule well, and their people flourish. My own Chapter rules Nocturne, and our people flourish. Taking a tactic that works, and spreading it's use can only bolster our goals.

30. - Top - End - #60

Gevurah simply presses one shovel like hand over his face and lets out a sigh. If it comes to it, and this doubtlessly otherwise faithful marine cannot see the truth past his zealotry, I will end his life myself.

The thought comes into his mind far too easily, and refuses to leave, lingering in the back of his conscious thoughts like the shadow of a Baalish Sharkopath in the deep sea. For the rest of the meeting the self imposed duty sits in Gevurah and squirms, making him faintly uneasy.
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-02-26 at 07:45 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show