New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Leviathan-Born [Martial PrC]

Leviathan-Born

The history of the proud Darfellans is so much more than a saga of bloody war with the Sahuagins. In ages past, every Darfellan was raised on the Iki!tali’i, a saga of seven epic poems telling the ancient history of the Darfellan folk, and some elders still pass them down to young Darfellans. The Leviathan-Born are a warrior elite who draw their name from the oldest of these epics, in which the death-god Leviathan, called Akikul!eo in the Darfellan tongue, gave birth to the hero Akilu, who could never fall in battle. Believing themselves to be the sons of Akilu and his divine forbear, the Leviathan-Born are fearless in battle, fighting dozens of foes at once with reckless, headlong tactics. Though the Leviathan-Born do not think themselves immortal, they have an adamant certainty that they will only fall in battle when Akikul!eo so wills, and that a glorious death will bring them a hallowed place in the Seas of the Second World, where the epics promise all dead heroes ascend.

Hit Dice
    d10

Requirements
    To qualify to become a Leviathan-Born, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Race: Darfellan
    BAB: +7
    Feats: Endurance, Diehard
    Skills: Intimidate 10 ranks, Knowledge (History) 10 ranks
    Maneuvers: Must know at least one maneuver from the Army of One or Scarlet Bravura disciplines.

Class Skills
    The Leviathan-Born’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Perform (Oratory) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers[br]Known|Maneuvers[br]Readied|Stances[br]Known

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Darfellan Prowess, Fearless|
    |
    |

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Riptide Harrier|
    |
    |

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Child of Leviathan|
    |
    |

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Army-Battling Fury|
    |
    |

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Frenzied Pursuit|
    |
    |

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Heroic Commander|
    |
    |

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Leviathan Bulwark|
    |
    |

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Bottomless Depths|
    |
    |

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Oceans Unmoving|
    |
    |

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Death Comes But Once|
    |
    |
    [/table]

Class Features
    All the following are class features of the Leviathan-Born prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers
    At each even-numbered level, you gain one new maneuver known from the Army of One, Ocean Tempest, or Scarlet Bravura disciplines. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisites to learn it. You add your full Leviathan-Born level to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and the highest level of maneuver you can learn. If you have levels in an initiator class that allows you to exchange out maneuvers at certain levels, your Leviathan-Born levels stack with your levels in that class for determining when you may exchange maneuvers. At 4th and 8th levels, you gain an additional maneuver readied each day.

Stances
    At 5th and 10th levels, you gain a new martial stance known from the Army of One, Ocean Tempest, or Scarlet Bravura disciplines. You must meet a stance’s prerequisites to learn it.

Darfellan Prowess (Ex)
    At 1st level, you ignore armor check penalties to swim, and do not treat your armor’s weight as counting towards your encumbrance while swimming or underwater. In addition, you ignore the normal penalties for using slashing weapons underwater.

Fearless (Ex)
    At 1st level, you gain immunity to fear.

Riptide Harrier (Ex)
    At 2nd level, your martial prowess lets you make devastating counterattacks on any foe foolish enough to let down their guard. When you gain this ability, choose one of the following strikes: vanguard feint from the Army of One discipline, buffeting wave or crashing wave from the Ocean Tempest discipline, or adaptive stratagem or lunging assault from the Scarlet Bravura discipline. Whenever an enemy provokes an attack of opportunity, you may initiate the maneuver you chose and attack them instead of making a normal melee attack. You need not have the maneuver readied or expend it, nor do you even need to know it. Once you choose the maneuver, you cannot change your choice. You are not treated as knowing the maneuver you choose for purposes of meeting the prerequisites of feats or other maneuvers.

Child of Leviathan (Ex)
    At 3rd level, your reckless tactics make you a terrifying foe. Your enemies swarm to take you down, too afraid to attack anyone but you. As long as you are in a martial stance, you gain the benefits of the reckless offense stance and are treated as being in it (If you are already in the reckless offense stance, the benefits you gain from it do not stack with those from this ability). In addition, at 5th level, the penalty on enemy’s attack rolls from the stance increases to -3. At 7th level, it increases to -4, and at 9th level, it increases to -5.

Army-Battling Fury (Ex)
    At 4th level, your valor and wrath let you fight like a Darfellan possessed by Leviathan himself, engaging legions of veteran warriors with ruthless tactics. You can effect more than one enemy with your reckless offense stance. The number of additional enemies you may give a penalty to is equal to your Strength modifier.

Frenzied Pursuit (Ex)
    At 5th level, no foe can escape your wrath. Whenever an enemy you threaten moves, you may take an immediate action to move up to your base land speed (or base swim speed underwater). However, you must end your movement in a square adjacent to them, or in the nearest square you can safely reach if you cannot move that far. If an enemy takes a 5-ft. step, it does not allow you to follow them with this ability.

Heroic Commander (Ex)
    At 6th level, you deliver you allies through the peril of combat, your undying resolve standing firm against dragonfire and the most powerful of magic. Whenever an enemy that takes a penalty from your ruthless offense stance uses a spell, power, or special ability that allows a saving throw against your allies, they gain a bonus on the save equal to the amount of the penalty on attack and damage rolls the enemy takes. You do not gain this bonus.

Leviathan Bulwark (Ex)
    At 7th level, you are fiercest when fighting armies, enduring blows that would fell lesser warriors. You gain damage reduction 1/– for every enemy you threaten in melee. This damage reduction is cumulative, to a maximum of half your initiator level.

Bottomless Depths (Ex)
    At 8th level, your life’s blood is a mighty sea whose depths know no end. You may use this ability whenever you are dealt damage by a melee attack or whenever you make a Fortitude save as an immediate action. If you use it in response to being damaged, you may ignore up to 50 points of that damage. If you use it in response to making a Fortitude save, you do not roll a d20, and are instead treated as having rolled a 20 (this does not cause you to automatically succeed). However, this ability is extremely draining. Whenever you use it, you are fatigued. If you are already fatigued, you are instead exhausted. You cannot use this ability if you are already exhausted, nor may you use it if you are immune to either fatigue or exhaustion.

Oceans Unmoving (Ex)
    At 9th level, your foes cower under the buffeting force of your blows, like a ship assailed by a tempest’s breeze. They can no more escape from your stunning blows than the ship could defy the gale’s force. Whenever you deal damage to an enemy with a melee attack, they must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + 1/2 your initiator level + your Strength modifier, or have all their movement speeds drop to 0 ft. until the end of their next turn. No matter how many times you damage an enemy in one round, they only need to make a saving throw for this ability once.

Death Comes But Once (Ex)
    At 10th level, the death-god Leviathan recognizes you as one of his own. Death in battle is no longer a thing to be feared, but a glorious ascendance. You are no longer disabled while at negative hit points. In addition, whenever you are reduced to -10 hp in an encounter, you do not die immediately–instead you enter the death-trance of Leviathan, a state of immortal fighting prowess. While in the death-trance, you cannot be damaged, but nor can you be healed by any effect. Upon entering the death-trance, you immediately recover all expended maneuvers. While in the death-trance, you gain a +5 bonus on all attack and damage rolls, and immunity to mind-affecting abilities and death effects. At the end of any encounter in which you enter the death-trance, you die–nothing short of a wish or miracle can prevent this. However, your soul passes immediately to the Seas of the Second World, preventing it from being trapped by spells such as trap the soul (you can still be resurrected normally.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-02-07 at 04:03 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Leviathan-Born [Martial PrC]

Looks good, but "death-god Leviathan"?
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Llama231 View Post
    Looks good, but "death-god Leviathan"?
    Non-canon, just made him up. Sounds like someone who'd show up in an epic.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

What creature is that in the picture?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Great class, very badass especially with the Army of One discipline. Where are Darefellans from though?
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
    Great class, very badass especially with the Army of One discipline. Where are Darefellans from though?
    Darfellans (the creature in the image) are from Stormwrack. They're essentially Native American-themed whale-men.

I am not too familiar with martial classes, but I must commend this as a good work. It really gets a good feel for the oceanic themes and unmoving force of the darfellan species.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2009-02-08 at 12:58 AM.
    LGBTitP