New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 141 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 128

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Erfworld seems like a computer version of a boardgame. If you play Ansom you're ignorant of what is happening in the hexes you're not in. For example, Ansom didn't see Sizemore's tactics in the tunnels. It's not easy to emulate with a bunch of players around a table, unless each one is seeing what is happening in their own laptops on the hex they're in.
    Well, when I think about it, "fog of war" (players only seeing parts of maps where they have troops) would probably be quite difficult to implement in a boardgame, although not impossible.
    On the other hand, I cannot think of a turn-based computer game where player B would take actions while it's player A's turn - I am talking about taking part in combat resolution (some of the examples would be Parson choosing and commanding "fighting retreat" tactics during RCC turn or Parson giving orders during dungeon defense - again during RCC turn).
    Plus, I believe the authors mentioned that the rules for the game actually exist and they consider publishing it separately. I don't think it makes sense to publish rules for a computer game that does not exist.
    So boardgame probably makes more sense.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzafar View Post
    Well, when I think about it, "fog of war" (players only seeing parts of maps where they have troops) would probably be quite difficult to implement in a boardgame, although not impossible.
    On the other hand, I cannot think of a turn-based computer game where player B would take actions while it's player A's turn - I am talking about taking part in combat resolution (some of the examples would be Parson choosing and commanding "fighting retreat" tactics during RCC turn or Parson giving orders during dungeon defense - again during RCC turn).
    Plus, I believe the authors mentioned that the rules for the game actually exist and they consider publishing it separately. I don't think it makes sense to publish rules for a computer game that does not exist.
    So boardgame probably makes more sense.
    I'm leaning towards a computer turn based game setting for a number of reasons, but the prime one is that the rule set just seems too complicated for board game, even one of those tactical war hex-based ones.

Other reasons include the very computery references (cheat codes, nasty website refs) and the method and manner of text-based communication, where everyone has a screen name (i.e. ImInUrDirtz) and speaks webspeak and leet.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Pixie in the Playground

I keep wondering why people keep using the theory that Ansom destroyed fact despite the evidence that points to Stanley in a largely unignorable way. Large dragons,previous knowledge of it,yet ansom does it for no particular reason? It would make more sense if Ansom destroyed The Croatan tribe which was separate of Faq,took the pliers,with Wanda joining Faq out of sheer chance.
    GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory!"

4. - Top - End - #454
    Halfling in the Playground

I see a lot of people making the comparison to board games. Probably because Parson made similar comparisons when he first arrived.

Why does everyone here think that the rules of Erfworld could be contained in a document the size of a book? I would expect that a complete accounting of rules in Erfworld would, written down, be as long as all of the required reading for PhDs in Physics, mathematics, sociology, military science, and magic.

That is to say, the rules of Erfworld are as complex as, and not always the same as, the rules of Earth. Ansom and the Archons being able to work together to dance-fight is no more an ass-pull than gwiffons being able to fly, marbits being able to mine, or crap golems being animated piles of feces. None of the above was foreshadowed at all, but it all makes sense in our paradigm.

Why are some of you so anal about the Archons not "Respecting zone boundaries", or about characters who have spent their entire lives being magically trained in how the world works knowing more details and exploits than a gamer who arrived less than a week ago? Parson doesn't have hours to examine every possible move, and he hasn't been shown to be a chess grandmaster anyway. He's evaluating the situation with incomplete information, adjusting his tactics on the fly, and without him, GK would already have fallen.
    Tardy Elves FTW!
    I was thinking of a policy of "Uncroak now, disinter later". - Me

5. - Top - End - #455
    Pixie in the Playground

Entertaining few pages the last couple.

So first off... major boop-pull. But not on the parts of the authors as much as on the part of Ansom. He got caught out and pulled something out of his boop to try and save his skin. That's ok for a character to do. Spiderman does it all the time (or did back when I used to read it) and sometimes it even works.

This is how it went down, as percieved by me, fleshed out a bit more:

Parson: He has almost no dance fighters. I've found out a way so we have plenty. We're totally going to boop him in the boop with this.

Ansom: Boop! He got me. Hey, wait, I have an idea. Men, into the breach. Archons, listen up, this is what we'll do *whisper whisper whisper* That should even it up a little. Hopefully it'll be enough.

"UHN TISS UHN TISS UHN TISS"

Parson: Wait? He had almost do dance fighters, and now he found a way to turn all that boop infantry into dancers? Clever boop.

As for the closing remark. It's set up so I get two equal meanings from it.

Parson: That stunt may have just won him the battle. Doing anything about it will be even harder than before, but I'll just have to think of something. (Dispassionate ecaluation more than surrender and despair)

or

Parson: That stunt may have.... hey wait.... oh.... oh ho ho ho... I bet he hasn't spotted that. This just went from good to golden.

------

I really don't see, as has been stated so much in the vehement debate, that Parson being sure the Coalition has almost no dance fighters, precludes Ansom from thinking on his feet and coming up with (what I percieve as) an improvised, original and uncharacteristically unpredictable way of circumventing that weakness.

To me it just solidifies that Ansom is more than just an arrogant booptard with a lot of troops to push around. Now that he's learning to take Parson seriously, he just may turn out to be a worthy opponent.

So... those are my two schmuckers

6. - Top - End - #456
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just sarted reading tonight. Compared to the rest of the parts it's pretty cheesy. The whole thng seems really confusing, because I'm the kind of person who likes to know everything inside out before attempting to do/read. Also has there never been a cast list or is this just a horrid time to start reading and get very confused by names and classes and races and everything else about everything.
    Last edited by Eldrys; 2009-02-15 at 03:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar Ditto View Post
    Just sarted reading tonight. Compared to the rest of the parts it's pretty cheesy. The whole thng seems really confusing, because I'm the kind of person who likes to know everything inside out before attempting to do/read. Also has there never been a cast list or is this just a horrid time to start reading and get very confused by names and classes and races and everything else about everything.
    Go back and start at the beginning. Its an awesome good read.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kholdstare View Post
    I keep wondering why people keep using the theory that Ansom destroyed fact despite the evidence that points to Stanley in a largely unignorable way. Large dragons,previous knowledge of it,yet ansom does it for no particular reason? It would make more sense if Ansom destroyed The Croatan tribe which was separate of Faq,took the pliers,with Wanda joining Faq out of sheer chance.
    Well let's look at the evidence. There are two pieces of evidence that would point to Stanley wipping Faq. #1 A flight of Dwagons is reported over it just before communicatiosn are cut and #2 Wanda and Jack are working for Stanley and they are known to be from Faq.

Now let's take a closer look. It was specificaly stated in the message Jillian got "a large overflight of dwagons". Look at it carefully. You will notice that the dwagons are NOT stated as attacking, but flying OVER Faq. If the dwagons where attacking it would seem to me that it would say that, not that the dwagons where passing over the place.

Ok, on to Wanda and Jack working for Stanley. It has been stated that captured units have a very low loyality rating. In fact if you capture an enemy caster is standard procedure to lay a power loyalty spell on them to keep them loyal to the new rulers. We know for a fact that Wanda is NOT bound by a loyality spell (stated by an Archon) but is still very loyal to Stanley. Jack has shown the same level of loyality even in that face of a woman he may love (Jillian). Both casters have been given a chance to turn and in a situation where it would have been the smart thing to do and both refused. So the conlusion is that both are willingly working for Stanley (even though he is not the best leader). If Stanley had destroyed Faq, Wanda and Jack would have every reason to hate Stanley and even kill him. But they do just the opposite.

And we know Wanda is from Faq. She is seen in Jillian's flashback (page 83) with Jack seated on the ground with King Banhammer. Wanda, Jack and Jillian also share one physical carateristic not seen in other native Erfworlders. They all have human style eyes (there is white of the eye).

As for taking out Faq, there is one VERY good reason to do so. A Tool of the Titans, the Arkenpliers (if the theories are correct) was in Faq and owned by Wanda. And Ansom being arrogent and HIGHLY dislikeing anyone by a royal with an Arkentool (and not having one himself) going after the weak kingdom of Faq to take the 'pliers would be a easy decision to make.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzafar View Post
    Total War series? While the game is turn based on a large scale, individual battles are fought in real time.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Pixie in the Playground

I dunno about the Arkenpliers, but I was assuming it was Charlie that sacked Faq for some reason or another. And that Stanley hates Charlie because he fought against him there.

I mean that devilish grin that archon has in #134. The grin. I'm thinking Charlie is the Real Bad Guy.
    Last edited by Ozar; 2009-02-15 at 10:36 AM.
    PROTECTIVE IMAGE

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

The grin that every customer service person gets when they know they've thoroughly booped a person on the job or the grin just before the bloodthirsty archons unleash hell on the fliers?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    The grin that every customer service person gets when they know they've thoroughly booped a person on the job or the grin just before the bloodthirsty archons unleash hell on the fliers?
    Closer to the first one.
    PROTECTIVE IMAGE